Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thought on Attacks and things happening at the same time  (Read 2135 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Thought on Attacks and things happening at the same time
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:55:53 am »

I just noticed the following:

By Dominion convention and rules, if somebody plays an attack, players resolve its effect in turn order.
Also the rules state that if several things happen at the same time, you decide in what order you have things happening.

So consider "each other player gains a Curse", which is actually a case of several players doing something at the same time. If it wasn't for rule 1, i think the active player could decide which player gets his Curse first (it's his card), and so if they run out in the middle (due to Embargo, Ambassador, Trader...) he could do a political decision. The same applies to non-junking attacks, though not as notably.

Personally i believe Donald X never thought of rule 1 as an exception to rule 2, because rule 1 came first. Still it feels like one to me. Any thoughts?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Thought on Attacks and things happening at the same time
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:45:04 am »
+1

I just noticed the following:

By Dominion convention and rules, if somebody plays an attack, players resolve its effect in turn order.
Also the rules state that if several things happen at the same time, you decide in what order you have things happening.

So consider "each other player gains a Curse", which is actually a case of several players doing something at the same time. If it wasn't for rule 1, i think the active player could decide which player gets his Curse first (it's his card), and so if they run out in the middle (due to Embargo, Ambassador, Trader...) he could do a political decision. The same applies to non-junking attacks, though not as notably.

Personally i believe Donald X never thought of rule 1 as an exception to rule 2, because rule 1 came first. Still it feels like one to me. Any thoughts?

Naw, rule 2 is specifically "if several things happen to the same person at the same time". Rule 1 is for if things happen to multiple people at the same time; it's not specific to Attacks (though that's where it comes up most often).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:37:18 am »

Yeah, rule 2 is for Mountebank for example.

The attacked player gains a Curse and a Copper (order is not explicitly specified).
Now he can reveal Watchtower/Trader to either the Copper or the Curse (his choice) and then decide what to do with the other.
Online implementations just force you to do one first (probably the Curse as it's mentioned first) because of their limitations, but you could put the Copper on top (and the Curse behind it) or vice versa in real life I think.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:40:15 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:51:25 am »

Aw, you both are right. Sorry about that. I looked at the german manual, and even they got it right (well, kinda). Got no excuse this time... :P

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
+3

The attacked player gains a Curse and a Copper (order is not explicitly specified).
Now he can reveal Watchtower/Trader to either the Copper or the Curse (his choice) and then decide what to do with the other.
Online implementations just force you to do one first (probably the Curse as it's mentioned first) because of their limitations, but you could put the Copper on top (and the Curse behind it) or vice versa in real life I think.

I'm not sure... "do everything in the order specified" seems to mean you have to gain the Curse first.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »

Develop allows you to gain a card costing exactly $1 more and a card costing exactly $1 less, in either order. I think the "do everything in the order on the card" refers to separate instructions, and these are single instructions to gain two cards.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:57:55 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 01:18:08 pm »
+1

Develop allows you to gain a card costing exactly $1 more and a card costing exactly $1 less, in either order. I think the "do everything in the order on the card" refers to separate instructions, and these are single instructions to gain two cards.

Develop says "in either order".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 01:50:26 pm »
+1

I think you're wrong, and the online implementations are correct. I asked this question a long time ago, and I thought that it was answered that because it says "Curse and a Copper", that means you must gain the Curse before the Copper.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.