Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: An interesting article against asymmetry in game design  (Read 10126 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
An interesting article against asymmetry in game design
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:28:59 am »
+2

Mostly a mindless link dump.  I personally love asymmetry, so it's interesting to see someone write passionately against it.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/KeithBurgun/20130923/200828/Debunking_Asymmetry.php

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting article against asymmetry in game design
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:50 am »
+7

While I have huge respect for David Sirlin, much of his writing, and his ability to design games

There's your problem.

Two line summary:
  • Multiple characters causes combinatorial explosion that makes everything else the designer and players have to do harder.
  • The asymmetric games have a first round (choosing your character) that plays very differently from every other round, and you feel sad that you couldn't play all the other options.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:34:33 am »

This person probably hates rock-paper-scissors.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:45:19 am »

FWIW, he takes a very anti Sirlin stance.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:05 am »
+1

One interesting point that he tried to make was: Forced asymmetry vs. emerging asymmetry, or as he called it: Video-game style asymmetry vs. inherent asymmetry.

I can understand he doesn't like video game style asymmetry as it forces you to make some choices before the game starts. At that point, you aren't informed enough to make a decent choice, so you could end up with a character that doesn't fit your style at all and have a bad experience. In defense of video games, battles are often short enough that you can simply pick some other character and try that one and see if it fits better. I have watched some Street Fighter championships on YouTube and was surprised by the various character choices. You would expect on that level that people would all be using some kind of "God" character which they found to be simply better after hours and hours and hours of playing. Also people didn't change their characters all that much after losing a match. To me this proves that there isn't some "rock-paper-scissors" thing with the characters themselves where A would always beat B, B would always beat C and C would always beat A. The ability of the players seems to be deciding enough.

So what if the experience isn't 2 minutes, but 2 hours? Well, there are pros and cons of course. If you really don't like the character you're stuck with in a board game and are forced to sit through 2 hours of wasting your time, well, that's no fun. On the other hand, you could discover some new play aspects you wouldn't have if the experience was shorter. If you're forced into a certain direction you can fight it or embrace it. Fighting it is often useless, so why not embrace it and try to have fun with it?

In Merchants & Marauders you get a captain which feels either "piratey" or "merchanty" (no surprise there). Now, there's nothing stopping you from trying to be a merchant with a swashbuckling captain, but you'll likely lose to more focused merchant captains. You could also try some hybrid version if you think it'll work. Or you can go with the flow and attack everything that moves. There's also nothing stopping you from adding a house rule letting people choose their captain out of 3 or 4 possible characters. The same is true for fighting games, you could just pick "random".

Now I like emergent asymmetric games a bit better I think. These force you to make the best of your situation. The article mentions Puerto Rico which is synonymous with "sit to the left of the idiot". Even if your right neighbor is not an idiot, you just have to pick the best of what's available to you. Sometimes this means you're being forced into unknown territory. Often in these kinds of games the "road less traveled" provides decent opportunities. If all of your opponents are doing X, they'll fight each other over the resources required to do X. You might have an easy time if you pick Y. With regards to Puerto Rico there will be some players focused on shipping as much and as often as possible and some more focused on building expensive buildings.

Worker Placement games always have this emergent asymmetry as you can't pick actions that others have chosen and even if you can, there will be some ordering as to who goes first (Fresco). But let's bring it back to Dominion, because this is a Dominion forum. I don't think Dominion has forced asymmetry, because the cards are often randomly chosen and they're the same for every player. Dominion does have emergent asymmetry, starting with the first shuffle and even with who goes first. Dominion doesn't make me feel sad I'm leaving 200+ cards out every time. Cosmic Encounter doesn't make me feel sad as you shouldn't take it too seriously in the first place.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:35:10 am »

My first thought is Android Netrunner.
I haven't played it yet, but ive heard very good things, and its the next game on my list I want to try.

And it's very very asymmetric.

Ed

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:03:58 am »

I think that the above psychological effect is highly noticable with the card game Dominion.  While Dominion isn’t asymmetrical in the way I’ve been describing, it does have a “customizable” card market.  You swap cards in and out, and during the game, you get to combine them and see all kinds of effects happen when they’re put together.  Eventually, you reach a point where you’ve kind of combined everything, and then you either need to get an expansion, or quit.  So in a sense, asymmetry (or customizable-ness) ends up really just being a strange kind of “asset tour”.  You want to see all of the things.

For me personally, I'm playing through all 3268760 games of Base Dominion. At that point I expect I'll get bored and *maybe* then I'll play 10272278170 games adding Intrigue.

I don't know, I agree that this article was kind of silly. Sure he makes some interesting points and he makes them emphatically, but as I see it both types of games can be fun, both can be well- or poorly-designed, and there's room enough in the world for both. I love a good game of Starcraft or Smash Bros. for example.

Have you ever heard of the ancient Germanic/Scandinavian family of Tafl board games?

It's sort of got a chess vibe but one player is attacking and the other is defending. I happened upon a version of this one night at a friend's house and we had a good time with it, even if our play was likely awful. I know this is not the same kind of asymmetry that is being argued against in this article, but I thought it was really cool to see this concept being explored since antiquity.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:44 am »
+4

I started out sympathizing with this guy, and then I got really angry.  He's not making much sense.  His bullet points in particular are total garbage.

It forces the player to “play designer”.  When you have to make a non-strategic choice that has strategic ramifications, it creates tremendous cognitive dissonance.  “Should I pick the thing that I think is the best, or should I pick the thing that seems like it would be the most fair, or should I pick the thing that seems the most exciting, or should I just pick the thing randomly?”  Ultimately, the player is not free to simply play the game – they must first make decisions about what the game will be.  Other configuration options like choosing stages/maps/item settings/timings make the problem even worse.  In these situations, the player is under tremendous pressure to skirt some weird line between “doing what’s best for the game” and “doing what’s best for me as a player who wants to win”.

I fail to grasp what he's arguing.  I've never thought about skirting any sort of line; my objective is always just to win.

It tends to cause games to be vastly less elegant than they otherwise could be.  If you make a fighting game with just 4 characters, what you’ve actually done is create ten different games.  Each matchup is a distinct game.  For this reason, as well as others, I can only think of a few asymmetrical games that don’t have a ridiculous amount of content.  Most asymmetrical games – fighting games, card games, real-time strategy games, etc – have truly insane amounts of content.  At the time of this writing, League of Legends has a whopping 115 champions, each with four unique spells and a passive ability, not to mention unique stats.  Having to step into a game like that, or even a fighting game with 30 characters, is crazy.  It’s way too much stuff to have to learn, it causes individual elements to lose contrast, and…

I see the connection from asymmetry -> a lot more content, but why does that lead to loss of elegance?  Elegance is not synonymous with minimalism.  I rather like having a lot of content: it makes for a deeper, more enjoyable game.  Elegance is one possible way to create an enjoyable game, but it is not necessary nor sufficient.

It generally causes games to be vastly harder to balance than they should be.  In videogames, instead of pushing towards “balance”, we instead push towards “an acceptable tier list“.  This is to say that there shouldn’t be anyone in God tier(characters so powerful that you can only ever justify playing them), and there shouldn’t be anyone in trash tier (you can NEVER justify playing them because they suck).  But we accept everything else.  It’s just peachy that some characters are flatly better than others, and the reason we’ve accepted this is because with as much information as we cram into these systems, we just can’t really do much better than that.  In fact it’s a tremendous feat that we’re able to get a game with 30 characters to not have a trash/god tier.

This is certainly true.  But a badly designed game is a badly designed game.  None of the asymmetry games that I enjoy have these kind of brutal balance issues.  If anything, videogame asymmetry is less affected by imbalance, because if one character is super weak then you can just not play it, and if one character is super strong, you develop counters to it.  See, e.g., A Few Acres of Snow (inherent asymmetry is unsolvable) vs League of Legends (overpowered champions are either banned or countered).

It constrains dynamics.  Great games, as they are being played, emerge into a massive beautiful and mysterious web of dynamics – a resource is expanding over here, which is tied to some other resource over there, which is dependent on player one taking this action right now, which is possible because he took another action six turns ago, which in turn opens the door for a huge resource gain for player two three turns from now.  Because of this, only a few turns/seconds into most good games, you already have naturally emerging asymmetrical forces at work.  You can think of a player’s set of powers and resources halfway through the game as a “character” that grew out of the system.

Videogame-style asymmetry, however, gives players a “quick start”, starting you with “forced” asymmetry that you chose before the game even began (i.e., it’s not a strategic decision).  The cost is that the game dynamics are constrained the entire game by a decision you made before the game even began, and they’re forced, not emergent.  That emergent character is now constrained by something you chose before the game even began.

Why can't you have both?  You can have both forced and emergent asymmetry.  They aren't mutually exclusive.  It's true that initial selections constrain the rest of the game, but constrain it in relation to what?  If you choose a PvZ matchup in Starcraft, you will never see Marines or Command Centers, but you aren't supposed to.  You still have emergent asymmetry in many other ways, just set in one particular framework.  What forced asymmetry does is allow multiple forms of emergent asymmetry: in Brood War, TvZ has one kind of emergent asymmetry (e.g., Hive timings), and PvP has another (e.g., reaver vs templar switch).

It’s a smokescreen, making it harder for designers to really judge the quality of their system, which results in worse systems.  Videogame asymmetry makes a somewhat boring system seem more interesting.  If Street Fighter 2 only had one character, Ryu, then I think that the designers would realize that they probably need to make the system itself a bit more elastic and interesting.  But, since there is a forced-dynamic obfuscating the system itself – now it’s Ryu versus Zangief, I wonder how those two things push up against each other! – it’s harder to see that the system itself is kind of flat.

Further, there’s a psychological trick that asymmetry pulls on you.  While you’re playing as one character, there’s a bit of a grass-is-greener thing, where you imagine other characters to be more interesting.  Not consciously, but in the back of your mind, that “wonderment” at not just seeing other characters in action, but how they will interact with THIS character, is compelling in a somewhat cheap way.  Even if you’re just going to choose Ryu and never play anyone else, you’re still going to play against other characters, so this effect takes place.

This is garbage.  If you remove one of the core features of this game, it suddenly becomes a lot less interesting.  We're discussing whether or not this core feature is interesting, not whether its removal results in a meaningful game. 

I think that the above psychological effect is highly noticable with the card game Dominion.  While Dominion isn’t asymmetrical in the way I’ve been describing, it does have a “customizable” card market.  You swap cards in and out, and during the game, you get to combine them and see all kinds of effects happen when they’re put together.  Eventually, you reach a point where you’ve kind of combined everything, and then you either need to get an expansion, or quit.  So in a sense, asymmetry (or customizable-ness) ends up really just being a strange kind of “asset tour”.  You want to see all of the things.

I'm sure we all got mad at this paragraph.  Forced asymmetry is a "shortcut" to deep gameplay, because it uses the power of permutations to generate interesting dynamics.  But you know what?  I like that.  I like interesting dynamics, regardless of how they are created.  That's what gives games replay value.  Judge the outcome, not the means.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:12 am »

My first thought is Android Netrunner.
I haven't played it yet, but ive heard very good things, and its the next game on my list I want to try.

And it's very very asymmetric.

Ed

He explicitly excludes this sort of asymmetry.  The type he takes issue with is the one where each player chooses a race/character/civ independently before the game begins.

I would also like to try Netrunner, but it looks like it could easily be a money sink.  It's also difficult to find people who want to play two player games.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:43:20 am »

I think the author mashes up two different things and uses the same argumentation on them. He shouldn't.

First there are things like RPGs, where the decisions you make have a lasting, usually not extreme effect.
  • For such games, asymetry has the problem that somethimes you will have to live with a bad decision you made for a long time.
  • Also this asymetry doesn't add too much to the game.
  • Adding more symmetrical content (like levels or enemies) is a simpler way to add play value to those games, though it still means work.

Second there are things like fighters, where the decisions you make have a very short but big effect.
  • For those games the opposite is true, because making a wrong decision will not spoil your long-term gaming experience.
  • Nor is asymetry dispensable for them, because as he states, without it they would grow boring fast.
  • Adding asymetrical content is usually easier here than adding symmetrical content, but it also means work, most notably the issue of balancing.

What i don't understand is why he automatically assumes one kind of game was automatically better than the other. One gets its main value from symmetrical content, and the work is in that content. The other gains it from asymmetrical content, and the work is in that content. so what do we get from that? Don't make a horribly balanced fighter, just as you shouldn't make a RPG with many poorly copy-pasted dungeons. The only difference is that bad balance is more common and less obvious than bad level/enemy design.

On a side note, Blazblue is an amazing fighting game that offers both huge variety and good balance. I wish i hadn't trashed my old X-Box :(

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:01:01 pm »
+1

That article doesn't cover everything. Abstract games fit an symmetric theme better than a themed game. For street fighter the theme is lost if you're always fighting your twin bother or twin sister. Storytelling through a game is stronger with asymmetry. Hidden capability works better with asymmetry since you are not all hiding the same thing.

He also skips a number of problems with symmetric games such as players getting stuck with perceived strongest strategies and group think, something that asymmetry can break. Symmetric games can also lead into clear superiorities where one player can have the same assets as another player and more besides (e.g. acquire), whereas unique assets always retain some advantage for a losing player.

There's a place for both types of games and this wasn't a thorough reflection on the whole topic.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:02:02 pm by DG »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 12:32:54 pm »
+6

On a side note, Blazblue is an amazing fighting game that offers both huge variety and good balance. I wish i hadn't trashed my old X-Box :(

Relevant, both for this game and for this forum generally:

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 02:09:27 pm »

Couldn't you cast a "video game asymmetry" game into an "emergent asymmetry" game by making the pre-game "choosing" phase part of the game itself?  For example, something like Small World, where instead of choosing a race before the game and playing that race, the race selection is incorporated into the game play itself. 

We could imagine a version of Street Fighter where both players start with a Prototype character, and as the game progresses the characters customize into entirely different characters (you build a Ryu or a Blanka, for example).  I'm not sure that would be better.  I think the replay value would be higher since the building process is (ideally) interesting, and the repetitive fighting of Street Fighter does get old.  But maybe you just want to beat up some dudes and don't want to spend all that time building.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:52:53 pm »

Couldn't you cast a "video game asymmetry" game into an "emergent asymmetry" game by making the pre-game "choosing" phase part of the game itself?  For example, something like Small World, where instead of choosing a race before the game and playing that race, the race selection is incorporated into the game play itself. 

We could imagine a version of Street Fighter where both players start with a Prototype character, and as the game progresses the characters customize into entirely different characters (you build a Ryu or a Blanka, for example).  I'm not sure that would be better.  I think the replay value would be higher since the building process is (ideally) interesting, and the repetitive fighting of Street Fighter does get old.  But maybe you just want to beat up some dudes and don't want to spend all that time building.

Interestingly, I think this is the most interesting part of forced asymmetry games, where your initial character guides your build path but doesn't lock you into anything.  MOBA games do that, where you can build every hero any way you like (tanky, damage, utility, etc.).  Of course some build paths will be better than others due to a character's inherent kit, but it allows for the discovery of interesting playstyles (e.g., the successful surprise debut of support Annie in the China LoL league).

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:15 pm »

I think if we transfer this article to Dominion, he argues that the default choice (all 10 random) is a better game (or one easier to balance) than the variant, where the player veto/choose particular cards.

This is somewhat related to the veto metastrategy discussion.
“Should I pick the thing that I think is the best, or should I pick the thing that seems like it would be the most fair, or should I pick the thing that seems the most exciting, or should I just pick the thing randomly?”

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 01:53:10 am »

I have watched some Street Fighter championships on YouTube and was surprised by the various character choices. You would expect on that level that people would all be using some kind of "God" character which they found to be simply better after hours and hours and hours of playing. Also people didn't change their characters all that much after losing a match. To me this proves that there isn't some "rock-paper-scissors" thing with the characters themselves where A would always beat B, B would always beat C and C would always beat A. The ability of the players seems to be deciding enough.

This is mostly because of two reasons:
1. Viable characters have various tools that allow them to perform better in a disadvantageous matchup. I can't speak for SF (since I don't play it), but a fighter is a fighter is a fighter, and that's true in SSBM.
2. The amount of investment that a player puts into learning a given character means that he might not do as well even if he chooses a good counterpick. That said, the characters are still limited by their matchups. So you ask, well why doesn't everyone main Fox or Falco in SSBM? I wouldn't say that every player is fully rational when it comes to picking his main. So the lack of evidence of players all choosing the same character isn't entirely indicative of the game's balance.

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 03:56:26 am »

Disclaimer: I did not have time to read the full story behind the link and even then I spotted some obvious issues, like the comment about Dominion, but overall I tend to agree a lot with his main argument.

I've never thought about skirting any sort of line; my objective is always just to win.
...and my objective is always just to have fun, despite the fact that I also play (board) games competitively. I can well relate to his argument about games where I am forced to make that choice being unsatisfactory. It feels bad needing to, for example, exclude some options because they would break the game down. Ideally, the choices resulting to most fun game should also be the ones that lead to victory.

But a badly designed game is a badly designed game.
This, as well as your previous comment on minimalism not being necessary for elegance and your following comment on forced and emergent asymmetry not being mutually exclusive, seem to miss his point. While it is indeed true that it is *possible* to create immensely deep games with lots and lots of options that are still perfectly balanced, it is certainly equally true that it is considerably harder (and quite likely exponentially so). Since harder tasks tend to take longer and still have higher chance of failure, it is very reasonable to advice the game developer community in general about the dangers of choosing such path.

Most considerably asymmetric games are fundamentally broken as serious games, either because they were intentionally created to be such (say, Cosmic encounter) or because the developers lacked skill/resources to balance them. Often this issue is sidestepped by introducing some arbitrary mechanics for "balancing" it out, such as allowing arbitrary direct interaction in a multiplayer board game and hence leaving the effort of balancing the game for the players. This could be seen as intellectual laziness from the developer, but in practice it is often because solving the problem in a meaningful way by introducing better mechanics/balance would really be too difficult. In many cases the game would have been way better if the designer had thought a bit more in advance and had made the game more symmetric or otherwise reduced the complexity of the design space. It's a pity for the gaming world in general that way too much effort is wasted on trying to design too complex games that end up as failures.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 04:12:24 am »

In a game, my objective is to win. In choosing games, I choose ones for which trying to win happens to be the same thing as trying to have fun.

I think asymmetrical games have some problems more than symmentrical ones (rock-paper-scissors, unbalance) but asymmetry isn't a problem in itself.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:17 am »
+1

I read through it and I'm really not sure what his point is. There are enough game designers that we can have plenty of all types of game, and I didn't find any part of the article to be a convincing reason that asymmetric games are worse anyway; just that they are harder to make well and he subjectively doesn't like them.

Sashimi is hard to make well and I don't like it, but there's no need to pretend there's some objective reason not to eat it.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 08:14:04 am »

I think asymmetrical games have some problems more than symmentrical ones (rock-paper-scissors, unbalance) but asymmetry isn't a problem in itself.
Is rock-paper-scissors really a problem? I see it mostly as a positive thing, at least in games where you know who your opponents will be.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 11:22:38 am »
+2

Couldn't you cast a "video game asymmetry" game into an "emergent asymmetry" game by making the pre-game "choosing" phase part of the game itself? 

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!
I quit visiting sirlin.net after the way Sirlin refused to improve Puzzle Strike in this manner.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 02:56:56 pm »

I read through it and I'm really not sure what his point is. There are enough game designers that we can have plenty of all types of game, and I didn't find any part of the article to be a convincing reason that asymmetric games are worse anyway; just that they are harder to make well and he subjectively doesn't like them.
I think what you miss is there is always a competition of resources (time, money, etc.). If Blizzard added a fourth race to Starcraft, they would have to balance 6 instead of 3 match-ups, i.e., they either have to spent twice the time to balance or live with a more unbalanced game.
Imho, he doesn't state that you shouldn't make asymmetric games, but that you shouldn't add asymmetry for the point of having asymmetry. You have to be aware of the cost that the added asymmetry yields.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »

Rock-Paper-Scissors is really boring, that's all I have against it.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 02:36:47 pm »
+1

A friend and I once played several games of Rock-Paper-Scissors by mail. Really, really silly but quite funny, if you share my silly sense of humor :)
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 05:13:41 pm »
+4

Rock-Paper-Scissors is really boring, that's all I have against it.

Let me tell you, it's way better than Rock-Paper-Rock.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.545 seconds with 21 queries.