Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mind Games in the Face of Five Attacks  (Read 2037 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Mind Games in the Face of Five Attacks
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:54 pm »
+2

I just played this game with Young Nick.

He chatted he never knows what to do in this situation, and I replied "I sort of randomize." I am sure he was referring to the decision to open Sea Hag or not (he does go SH). There are FIVE attacks and very limited draw. So of course, I astound him by opening.... Silver-Plaza! He was not expecting that one!

My goal is to get to 6 and use Altar and Squire to gain a bunch of Silvers and Attacks. I suspect Plaza will help me get to $6 easier in the face of a curse or 2; I am not opening with it for the Village immediately (but I'll need those actions later). I luck out and hit $6 for the Altar turn 5. This allows me to pick up a Familiar, Mountebank, and Plaza on turn 8, and it's off to the races!

I think my opening was more mind games than anything. He basically got second thoughts about his strategy of attacks and money and bought a couple Plazas and an Altar of his own. This hybrid turned out to be bad for him. I am not at all sure my opening was correct. But man, was it ever fun! And I did pick up the W on a three pile.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:08:08 pm by Polk5440 »

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Mind Games in the Face of Five Attacks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:33:51 am »
+1

Oh Polk, you and your mind games... IRL, I have learned to assume that you never let anything slip.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:59:26 am »
+7

So you don't think you won because both your opponent's buys missed the first shuffle?

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »

So you don't think you won because both your opponent's buys missed the first shuffle?

I luck out and hit $6 for the Altar turn 5.

Yes, most of the luck in being able to hit $6 was because I wasn't Hagged.

I am in no way claiming my actual overall strategy was better here.

I do think that the fact that he did second guess himself and buy Plazas was a big deal to contributing to me being able to end the game in the lead.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:11:04 pm »
+4

I do think that the fact that he did second guess himself and buy Plazas was a big deal to contributing to me being able to end the game in the lead.

But just imagine how much you would have won by if you'd opened Copper/Curse!
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:31:19 pm »

So, some actual serious strategic musings:

I do think opening Sea Hag was a mistake on this board. Going for Mountebank or Altaring Squires for Familiar (or both) has to be the way to go because Marauder is on the board to junk early. The Spoils help you hit $5/6 later to get Mountebank or Altar. 

Marauder just has to be better than Sea Hag to open here.

-----

Also, I was hoping someone would address the following question: What is the best way to hit $6 as soon as possible on this board? I am curious even if you disagree that getting Altar as fast as possible is the most important thing here.

The contenders are:

Silver-Marauder
Silver-Silver
Silver-Plaza

My suspicion is that Silver-Plaza is slightly better than Silver-Silver which is slightly better than Silver-Marauder.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:37:16 pm »
+1

If hitting $6 as early as possible is the only thing you care about, I think Duchess-Silver is slightly better than Silver-Silver, since it could potentially let you skip an Estate early on. But, this is obviously bad strategy longer term.

Of the options you suggest, I intuitively would think Silver-Silver would be faster than Silver-Plaza, but I might be wrong. The extra Silver gives more coins per card, but the Plaza allows you to save a coin if you don't hit $6. But, it requires you to wait at least 1 turn to do so.

I agree that both options are probably faster than Silver-Marauder, which needs a reshuffle before it can hit $6. But, this might be the best option on this board anyway for the attack.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:37 am »
+1

Mountebank ought to be better than Altar/Squire->Familiar, because there won't be enough Curses left by the time you get to play your Familiars. I think you have to get a Marauder too, but I'd open Silver/Silver for Mountebank.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.