Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: overall state of goko  (Read 3050 times)

aestrivex

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
    • socionics workshop
overall state of goko
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:13 am »
+1

Months ago when goko first originated I avoided it after reading this board and seeing a plethora of bugs and complaints about various things.

Overall, what about now? We were all spoiled by isotropic perhaps, but what is your sense of goko? Would you recommend giving them money to a semi serious former level 30 isotropic player? Thanks for any feedback.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: overall state of goko
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:11 am »

Months ago when goko first originated I avoided it after reading this board and seeing a plethora of bugs and complaints about various things.

Overall, what about now? We were all spoiled by isotropic perhaps, but what is your sense of goko? Would you recommend giving them money to a semi serious former level 30 isotropic player? Thanks for any feedback.

Try playing without paying for a while. With automatch and lurking a bit, you can usually find a match with more than just base. Then, you can see for yourself it its worth your money.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12869
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:31:29 am »

I think it's worth it if you can afford it. If you can't afford to pay for it, it's still worth your time. Also, you obviously want to use the browser extension.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:41:36 am »

isotropic had a lot going for it.  The main (only?) thing goko has over iso is pretty pictures.  nevertheless, if you like playing dominion online, then goko is quite satisfactory.  (do get the extension.)
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:21:56 am »
+2

I agree that it's worth it at this point, but only barely so. This is mostly due to the Goko Salvager salvaging Goko into a decent experience.

But, I'd definitely take answers here with a grain of salt, since basically everyone active on these forums plays on Goko, whether they ever played Isotropic or not. Not many people are going to say "yes, I spend lots of time on Goko, but it's time wasted and I wouldn't recommend it." ;)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:40:55 am »
+14

Iso was the hero F.DS deserved, but Goko is the hero it's got.  If you want online Dominion, it's the best way to play it right now.  The pricing is basically the same as a retail video game if you get all expansions, and if you play as much as the average person here, it's worth the money spent.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:43:21 am »

Iso was the hero F.DS deserved, but Goko is the hero it's got.

+1 for 'quoting' Dark Knight.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:47:09 am »
+2

Not many people are going to say "yes, I spend lots of time on Goko, but it's time wasted and I wouldn't recommend it." ;)

I am willing to say that.

aestrivex

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
    • socionics workshop
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:04:03 pm »
+1

Try playing without paying for a while. With automatch and lurking a bit, you can usually find a match with more than just base. Then, you can see for yourself it its worth your money.

I didn't realize it allowed you to play matches with expansions other people own and you don't.  That shows you how much I've played -- about five games of the base game, maybe six months ago.

So I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments also.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:37:47 am »

I was in your boat a month ago or so. I played for a while but have quit again. (I played, by a factor of 10, far too many games on Isotropic.) The problem with Goko for me is that I found I was playing many fewer games per hour than on isotropic. This is due to several factors:
1. Lobby wait time is longer, due to problems both with policy and with implementation
2. On average, in-game mechanics are slower
3. Some things take longer to load than they are supposed to

You can solve problem 1 by paying, to some extent, because if you have all the cards, you can start a game, and (with extension) guarantee a good player will play with you. (Without extension you have to manually boot the riffraff). To me this feels like rewarding them for having an unintuitive lobby system -- on the other hand, they're a business and they have to find some way to get you to pay.

I'm not sure 2 is as much of a problem -- in fact, for a few types of games (scrying pool comes to mind), when 3 isn't happening, Goko is faster than Iso was, basically because if you are megaturning, it organizes your huge hand in a way that makes it easier to play quickly.

I think a lot of people would rebut my argument by saying that it's quality and not quantity that counts, and, if it were only for point 2, I would still disagree, but only on a personal level -- that argument makes sense, but I still prefer Iso's speed. Because of points 1 and 3 though, I think it's more than a personal preference and is something Goko should strive to fix.

Other than speed, I think Goko is fine. Personally I am an internet minimalist -- I used text and not picture mode on iso -- and so I think I'd prefer iso's look and feel even if Goko were the exact same speed.

Tl;dr goko is ok but too slow

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.