Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Knights against Feodum  (Read 1599 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Knights against Feodum
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:52:31 am »

I am very interested to know more about the Knight/Feodum interaction.
I'm not sure how I played. I thought Knights would be a really good counter to feodum, so I decided to go for it, but paradoxically, Feodum is also a good counter to knights if you want to contest provinces, because when trashed it gives three silvers. So I thought, I can buy some feodum just to defend knights, and to trash them with remake (I decided to take the remake over the trader, because I want knights), then race for knights and provinces.

The first half of the game, I thought I would lose but at the end, I surprinsingly took the lead.

What would be your strategy here ?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Knights against Feodum
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:38:01 am »
+1

I would go for trader/feodum.  You will most likely lose silvers to knights, but trader will make up for that.  You need at least 2 traders, and if one of them gets trashed you have to replace it (an error by your opponent when you luckily trashed on of his traders turn 6).  You are only able to play one knight (maybe 2 if you draw Dame Molly and another knight or 3 if you use tactician), and that is not deadly enough to slow Trader down here, and the turns you buy knights are not turns buying feodum/trader/silver, which means your opponent should win the feodum and silver splits
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:46:35 pm »

I would go for trader/feodum.

agree.  silver flooders in general are defense against knights, and you can't play more than one/2 per turn, so feodum wins.

i don't know if this has been tested in sims, but i think i might even want 3 traders if my opponent weren't contesting the feoda.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:24:11 am »

I would go for trader/feodum.  You will most likely lose silvers to knights, but trader will make up for that.  You need at least 2 traders, and if one of them gets trashed you have to replace it (an error by your opponent when you luckily trashed on of his traders turn 6).  You are only able to play one knight (maybe 2 if you draw Dame Molly and another knight or 3 if you use tactician), and that is not deadly enough to slow Trader down here, and the turns you buy knights are not turns buying feodum/trader/silver, which means your opponent should win the feodum and silver splits
I just realized I forgot the log. I guess you searched it on drunkensailor ?
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.50d200a9e4b020b2e89e909c.1379853461890.txt

Your arguments are convincing. However, I still don't explain my 10 point lead at turn 24 (just before my opponent resigned). Luck ?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:46:32 am »
+1

I did search the log.  You got a little lucky trashing his trader early with your Dame Anna, and I think your opponent made a mistake not replacing it.  Another reason you may have been up is because your opponent began investing in provinces as early as T6, then gets lucky enough to be able to turn around and trash it next turn to net a 9 silver gain, but simply buys one.  He should really be buying feodums every turn possible while using a trader as much as possible to multiply silvers.  Once the silvers and Feodums are gone (pile out feodums at the very least) he can start turning his attention either to 3 piling, or buying provinces (depending on where you are at with your score).  Since you had bought knights, I would probably have just tried to quickly empty the Knights pile, which would have taken maybe 4-5 turns depending on how many knights you had bought.  There would be no time for you to catch up.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.