Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anti-Cultist board  (Read 1177 times)

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
Anti-Cultist board
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:22:42 pm »

I have just played this game: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1379800420729.txt

First thing I've seen was Cultist and my opponent opening 5/2 to buy one. Then I looked more and I saw a possibility of not joining the race where I was already behind: Menagerie to draw when I have many different cards, Warehouse to sift through Ruins and Graverobber to turn some of them into Menageries or Warehouses. I opened Plaza/Menagerie, got Loan to get rid of part of my coppers, later saw them work well with Poor House, so I got a few of them.

Finally I was one coin short of drawing the game. I feel I made quite many mistakes. I also thing my Graverobbers rarely colliding with Ruins was unlucky. On the other hand I think I was lucky to have 3 Ruined Markets amongst 9 hidden Ruins.

What do you think about this board? Was the engine I tried to build viable against junking and Treasury/Gold my opponent got, or do you see some other interesting plan? I feel my biggest mistake was waiting for Graverobber to collide with Ruins, I should have bought some Menageries earlier. Out of my 4 final turns 3 were good, but once I was completely stuck and couldn't do anything useful.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Re: Anti-Cultist board
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »

opening menagerie has to be a mistake.  it won't activate.  loan is far better if you are getting one.  this is a minor error tho.

I see that you had 3 plazas vs 1 menag and 1 warehouse at turn 11 when you bought a 4th plaza.  Warehouse would have been far superior - it mitigates the effect of terminal collision, puts Graverobber together with ruins, and helps cycling, which is crucial for your expand strategy.  you buy a 5th on T12 and a 6th (!) at T13. 

Warehouse/menagerie is a strong combo, and probably at least somewhat effective here, but instead you bought plazas.

if I were your opponent, i certainly would have gotten more cultists over treasuries.  Treasuries are at their best when you can wait to green by building up an engine, which is impossible here.

I like the idea you had here.  I can't say how effective it is against cultist.  It's a long shot, which is probably appropriate in response to a 5/2 cultist opening.  I'm inclined to think you wanted at least one cultist yourself (maybe), but yeah, i think your buy ordering was way off.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Cultist board
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:50:18 pm »

The only obstacle here to a strong-ish Menagerie engine is the lack of +buy. Keep those Ruined Markets!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.