Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Advisor  (Read 22232 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Re: Advisor
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 11:52:05 am »
+1

One minor tactical point neither article mentions is the fact that advisor works best when your opponent doesn't know what cards you need this turn.  The main take away here is that you should play all advisors first and try and let your opponent know as little as possible about what's in your hand while there's still a possibility of playing more advisors.  If you're playing a long string of advisors, then she knows a lot about what's in your hand anyway, but the point is that she might be more tempted to give you terminals if she didnt know you had villages among the 4 non-advisor cards you started with.

Advisor also has a mild antisynergy with cards like Hunting Party that reveal your hand for this same reason. (Menagerie is among these cards, but you're going to have a hard time making your menageries work with advisor.  Menagerie is a straight up stronger card and you're much better off trying to make menagerie work than advisor in cases where both are possible.)  I don't think an opponent going for advisor is a good reason to get a bureaucrat.

This is of course important for playing against advisor.  You can easily observe how many of his starting 5 cards were advisors.  Tracking your opponent's deck is also useful insofar as it helps you guess whether their hand is full of terminals or villages.

(i seem to love [hr\])
Incidentally, both articles mention that high advisor concentration is useful, but neither list workshops among synergies.  (ed's article does mention them.)  They don't just add advisors either - they also help fill your deck with other decent stuff/cantrips so that there are relatively fewer junk cards for your opponent to give you.  Many advisor support cards (workshop, storeroom, cellar) are under $5 as well.  A workshop is thus a strong advisor enabler, so gainers deserve to be on the list.  (Hermit works too; the trashing is nice, and even silver makes the opponent's choices harder, though obviously oasis/warehouse/what have you make hermit better.)
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59:43 pm »
+1

The truth is that the reactions you receive are not in any way an assessment of your intentions, not a judgment of your high-spirited enthusiasm and your pleasure in writing, nor a condemnation of your drive to educate others and the desire to share your passion for the game. Instead the reactions solely reflect how much strategic value and insight your writings provide to the players reading them.

That would be wonderful if it were true.

[insert meme or joke for respect here]

Ok, slightly more seriously, I think there is merit to wero's complaint even ignoring respect given for one-liners. Suppose two people post similarly insightful and strategic comments. How does one know a comment is insightful and not wrong? One big indicator is that it was written by a top player. If forum goers don't want to associate with wrong comments by giving +1s to them, then conditional on the comment being correct, better players are going to get more +1s for the same level of insighfulness.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 05:10:21 am »

The truth is that the reactions you receive are not in any way an assessment of your intentions, not a judgment of your high-spirited enthusiasm and your pleasure in writing, nor a condemnation of your drive to educate others and the desire to share your passion for the game. Instead the reactions solely reflect how much strategic value and insight your writings provide to the players reading them.

Ok, slightly more seriously, I think there is merit to wero's complaint even ignoring respect given for one-liners. Suppose two people post similarly insightful and strategic comments. How does one know a comment is insightful and not wrong?
Did you learn something new? Do you think that what you just learned was worth learning? If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can feel free to +1 the poster. If later you learn that what you just learned was wrong, you can +1 the poster who pointed out the fallacies in the post you originally +1'd. After all, both of those people contributed to you becoming a better player, so it's reasonable to +1 them both. And worse things can happen than giving +1 to someone who didn't write the best post ever.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 06:11:50 am »

The problem appears to be more that Dominiate cannot count to 1000.

Or someone ran two single games, then clicked the run 1000 box without resetting.

I'd tested that. :)  It was giving me 1000+epsilon games too.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:47:21 am by qmech »

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 06:20:21 am »
+2

This is a good reason not to take a personal respect totals seriously or to compare joke posts to strategy posts. But respect votes still tell you about a post's merit relative to other posts in the same genre. Better strategy articles get more upvotes just like better jokes do.

There's also a lot of useful information in who upvoted a strategy post. Seeing a dozen upvotes on one of my posts gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, but one or two upvotes from top players who rarely upvote is a more useful signal that I've done something valuable.

Edit: Sweet! I got his first upvote!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:32:34 pm by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.