Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A simple-looking board  (Read 2747 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
A simple-looking board
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:29:46 am »
+2

This kingdom included Colonies, but not Shelters. What do I do here? I think I've played enough to recognize plausible strategies, but I don't really know how to tell which will be better/faster. There are very few plausible choices here: the only ones I can really see are (a) Rebuild (with Count?), (b) BM with Labs and probably Council Room.

But how can I figure out which one will work better? Remake or Familiar also might feature into either of those plans, but I can't tell whether the time investment will be worth it.

I went for BM/Lab, starting off with Remake to get rid of Coppers and get some early Silver; my T4 Horse Traders feels pretty questionable, but I thought I needed a +buy, and discarding/coins would be more useful than drawing until I had sorted things out with Remake. I skipped Familiar, figuring I couldn't afford to spend any early buys on it, and with Remake/Count present, either player would be well-equipped to trash curses.

As it happens, my opponent went for Rebuild and lost, but I think he played his deck pretty poorly, so that doesn't really tell me much about whether Rebuild is better here.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: A simple-looking board
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:03:45 am »

(Not related to the game, but these types of posts should go in the Game Reports board, not General Discussion :) )

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:37:06 am »

The intention of my post was "help me learn to play better", which seems pretty far from "Show off your epic wins, or laugh at your epic fails", which is the topic of the Game Reports forum. I don't mind posting there instead, but if that's the right place for this then perhaps the topic should be adjusted?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 12:40:01 am »

The intention of my post was "help me learn to play better", which seems pretty far from "Show off your epic wins, or laugh at your epic fails", which is the topic of the Game Reports forum. I don't mind posting there instead, but if that's the right place for this then perhaps the topic should be adjusted?

You are looking for the subforum of Game Reports, Help! :)

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 01:24:13 am »

I've been reluctant to post in "Help!", because it says not to post questions about games I won. But of course misplays can sometimes end in victory, and I'd still like to improve even if I happened to win against someone who played even worse. If Help! is the right subforum, I will definitely move there.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:47:28 am »

I've been reluctant to post in "Help!", because it says not to post questions about games I won. But of course misplays can sometimes end in victory, and I'd still like to improve even if I happened to win against someone who played even worse. If Help! is the right subforum, I will definitely move there.

In context, it clarifies that it's not a forum for gloating.  Even if you won, it's fine to ask for help on how to play better, especially if you feel like you had no idea what you were doing or how you won.

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 03:31:56 am »
+1

I would open Horse Traders/silver, try to get a rebuild on both T3 and T4. Count competes at 5 with rebuild, and can leave you with an starting estate after the duchies pile runs out.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »

BM/Lab is pretty weak in general because Lab is only good if you draw an action with it (otherwise it's a moat), so you need a pretty high lab density => low treasure density. Horse Traders is great for hitting the critical $5 for Rebuild. I would also open HT/Silver and go for a Rebuild strategy getting at least a couple HT over silver when I hit $4. If you haven't already read AI's article on Rebuild, then you should check it out.

Edit: Just saw this was a colony game. Less sure about the power of Rebuild now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:10:44 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 11:30:20 am »

Rebuild/Horse Traders for sure. There's no village to put an engine together, and I think Familiar is not going to have a big enough effect against it, when you'll be activating your opponent's Horse Traders.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 11:46:53 am »
+2

With Colonies, I like Remake into Laboratory stack with a Merchant Guild for the terminal. For your game, I would probably take a second Remake over the Horse Traders, with the idea of Remaking it later into a $5. I would avoid Gold as much as possible, focus on Laboratories until you can draw most of your deck, the treasure you really want is Platinum. Haven is an excellent target for the second buy from Merchant Guild to gain another coin token.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:07 pm »

Once you can draw most of your deck, you can even make a quick detour into a Familiar by trashing Silver -> Potion, then later trashing Potion -> Lab/MG. I can't say for certain if it will be a worthwhile investment, but it's an option to keep in mind.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.