Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When you don't even want a silver  (Read 2127 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
When you don't even want a silver
« on: September 20, 2013, 06:43:18 am »
+1

Do you have logs or examples of situations where you have $3 or more, you are not interested by the actions or victory cards you can buy and don't even want a silver, or a gold ?
Apart from the obvious cases : Conspirator, Golden deck...

It's hard for me to know if another silver would help or on the contrary, harm my deck. For example in goons games...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: When you don't even want a silver
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:00:40 am »

This is often the case in Colony games and sometimes when your engine fails to go off and you're left with $3 or $4 and there are no engine parts at that price point (or lower).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:01:24 am »
+3

When I read the title, I figured you meant a game like this:
Warfreak2   plays 7 Copper
Warfreak2   buys Copper

It's not so unusual that I have a bad draw, only have $3 to spend, and I don't want anything that costs $3. It's hard to imagine any situation in which I'd have $6 to spend and there wouldn't be something on the board, even Gold, to improve my deck. You can't make an engine exclusively out of $7 components, and if I already had enough Gold, it would normally be Duchy time.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:40 am »

Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:44 am »

This has happened to me before

I'd  say Scrying Pool belongs on the list of "obvious" cases with Conspirator and so forth, which brokoli said they weren't looking for.

The trouble is though, aren't those the whole story? As you get better, you learn to understand more complicated decks more thoroughly, and the list of decks that "obviously" can't handle an extra Silver grows well beyond the canonical list to include all sorts of ramshackle improvised engines. Take those "obvious" cases away and you're just asking "How do I know whether I can safely buy a Silver in cases where I don't understand my deck well enough to know?" And then you've answered your own question.

I mean I'd love to see some very strong players come up with great insights on the topic, but I sort of doubt it's going to happen. (Actually the question I've been struggling with lately is when to buy Silver in the greening phase because "screw it, my engine's basically defunct anyway, maybe this way I can limp over the finish line." I have the feeling I'm hitting that panic button too often, but again, I'm not very hopeful that anyone can solve this problem with pithy advice.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:31:18 am by WheresMyElephant »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:41:16 pm »

If you have a deck that is designed to do 16$ double Provinces, and your deck contains 16$, and then it trips over itself and you draw a 3$ (or probably an even better example is that you've just put the finishing touches on it earlier in the reshuffle, and the last five cards in your deck only produce 3$ to spend towards your engine), you probably shouldn't buy a Silver because an 18$ megaturn is no different from a 16$ megaturn, even if you have extra +buys floating around in it.  It just makes it easier to draw hands that don't actually explode into a megaturn.

The silver or nothing question is a question that kind of gets glossed over a lot, oftentimes Village or something is at the 3$ price point and you just buy that and you don't have to have the Silver or nothing question.  If there is no 2-3$ engine card available, you're less likely to be running a Silver-hatingly-smooth engine deck in the first place.  If Embassy had a "may" in its on buy effect, or something like that, you would get a lot of interesting situations where declining Silver is a tough call, and something a skilled player will actually do. 

Declined Jester Silvers week before last in a KC engine because KC, I think my less experienced opponent thought I was insane.  I was insane for buying KC over Plat in that no-trash board, actually, but not insane to decline Silver once I already had 3 KCs.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 02:25:39 pm »

There was a game in the last GokoDom where I played rogue+hunting party vs Geronimoo's taxman+hunting party. I gained so much silver from the trash pile that I couldn't be bothered to buy any more. Colony game, decided eventually on first turn advantage.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:26:55 pm by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.