Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Blacklisting  (Read 3213 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Blacklisting
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:59:55 pm »

So we all know those threads where people bad-mouth each other can get bad and eventually shut-down.

The nice thing is there is a blacklist function on the salvager that solces that. But you still end up playing with the people you don't want to play with that first time.

My suggestion is this:
In this thread, just post people you have blocked and why.

People can use your own reputation on whether they want to follow your lead or not.

Is that too harsh?

I'd sure like to know the players who have slow-rolled Sharkbait or Robz or WW or a dozen other people on here.

Ed

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Blacklisting
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »
+7

And then those people come on the forums and see they've been blacklisted and they never come back again...  If you want to blacklist people (I have two) I wouldn't mind telling you, but I would rather do so through a PM and not on here.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »

I don't have a problem with this, as long as you are really really sure that the person was slow rolling you, rather than suffering lag problems.

I have only blocked one person, but it appears I no longer have that person blocked, and I can't recall the name.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 04:30:00 pm »
+5

I think that blacklisting is a rather personal thing. This topic is like going to the general discussion forum and asking everyone "Which band(s) do you hate the most?" and never listening to any band posted by someone you respect.

I've played three games against Mike Harris.0001 and I don't remember having any negative experiences with him.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:36:46 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:58 am »
+5

Decline of civility on Isotropic Goko v2?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:49:32 am »
+4

I smell trouble here. How about if instead I add a Salvager option to blacklist players who are on many other blacklists?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:52:01 am »
+3

I smell trouble here. How about if instead I add a Salvager option to blacklist players who are on many other blacklists?

Make it function in the front, and not do anything at all on the backend.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 01:10:56 am »

I would have to record blacklists to the server. Right now they're only stored locally.

I assume you're saying to distinguish between a "real" blacklist (players added manually) and an effective one (which includes others' blacklistees). Salvager should kick, mute, and refuse to automatch with anyone on the effective blacklist, but it should only report the "real" blacklist to the server.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:19 am »
+2

I would have to record blacklists to the server. Right now they're only stored locally.

I assume you're saying to distinguish between a "real" blacklist (players added manually) and an effective one (which includes others' blacklistees). Salvager should kick, mute, and refuse to automatch with anyone on the effective blacklist, but it should only report the "real" blacklist to the server.

I may be mistaken, but I think Kirian means that you should add this option in the UI, but enabling it actually does nothing at all.  Mmm, placebos.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 03:15:31 am »
+1

I fear I may be on some people's blacklist... But that's mostly due to bad connection/real life cropping up. I apologize to anyone I have left hanging in this manner.  (insert confession bear) I usually remember to resign when something crops up, but sometimes I don't...

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:25:00 am »
+3

I do think a crowd-sourced blacklist would work well, with an option to enable or disable it.  I'd say let people accept the whole thing or not at all.

What happens if a blacklisted person blacklists themselves?  Does that work?  No games ever?

I fear I may be on some people's blacklist... But that's mostly due to bad connection/real life cropping up. I apologize to anyone I have left hanging in this manner.  (insert confession bear) I usually remember to resign when something crops up, but sometimes I don't...

I actually think posts like this are why a public place where people post a who/why list is useful.  If someone blacklisted me due to something I did/said/etc. and I didn't know, I'd love to be able to come here and find out, and rectify the problem.

The hardest thing about private blacklists is never knowing you are on them.  If I quit a game on you with no notice (extremely rare occurence), it might have been that I had to run to help my daughter with something.  If I know you are on f.ds, I usually find you later and PM an apology, but it doesn't always work out that way.

So I guess I'm actually in support of a civil version of the decline of civility thread.  Which may be impossible, given The Internet.  But being able to apologize to people would be much more awesome than just languishing in the unknown recesses of personal blacklists and forever missing out.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:32:37 am »
+4

What happens if a blacklisted person blacklists themselves?  Does that work?  No games ever?

Well obviously it would... no wait... er, what? DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.