Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Three Player Experiment  (Read 2175 times)

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
A Three Player Experiment
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:14 am »
+2

I recently discovered how to easily record YouTube Dominion using Quicktime.

I made a YouTube video of a game with two IRL friends (well, one friend Polk5440, and one wife Bella Cullen).  I haven't watched all of the videos on YouTube that have Dominion in them, but I think this format is fairly unique.  In a 3P game, we can all hear each other, and all comment on the game.  Thus, I talk less freely (and more strategically) about my strategy than the typical YouTube video.*

As for strategy, it's a Colony game with Wharf and Farming Village.  Remodel and Quarry are important too.  At some point in the game's early stages, I reveal why I am not a top player by debating internally between Quarry and Cutpurse.  Quarry is the right play, and I go for it, but I didn't really reason it through like I should have.  Remodel turns out to be the difference in this game, I think.

Thoughts?

FWIW: I didn't realize how forcefully I laugh until recording this.  I'll try to be less abrasive on your eardrums in the future.

----

*I have tested out recording in other contexts, but I don't have a critical mass on my channel yet.  This is my favorite recording so far -- a game where Mic Qsenoch runs me over on the Highway:

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: A Three Player Experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:27:24 pm »
+1

A lot of my videos where I'm skypeing with my opponent are similar to the format you use here, though I liberally use the mute button on Skype so I can say things to my video that my opponents can't here. I've done some three-player games like this one and a whole bunch of two-player games like these

I think the ability to do this makes the videos more interesting to watch. Also, you can make split-screen videos where both players have the ability to talk to the video and merging both sides into one.

Is there a particular part of this format you want to explore? I noticed you posted in my looking for opponents thread too. I'm always up to try different formats.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:05:16 pm »

A lot of my videos where I'm skypeing with my opponent are similar to the format you use here, though I liberally use the mute button on Skype so I can say things to my video that my opponents can't here. I've done some three-player games like this one and a whole bunch of two-player games like these

I think the ability to do this makes the videos more interesting to watch. Also, you can make split-screen videos where both players have the ability to talk to the video and merging both sides into one.

Is there a particular part of this format you want to explore? I noticed you posted in my looking for opponents thread too. I'm always up to try different formats.

I haven't spent much time in this subforum, and after posting my experiment, I browsed a little and discovered that you've done some Skyping-and-Dominioning.  Not sure I'd do Skype (needing to track the mute button might be just a little too much complexity for now; I'll maybe work up to it).  I like the idea of each of us recording, and posting dueling videos of the same game.  Depending on how hard it is to do the split screen, I might be up for that, but using Quicktime is the easiest way to screencast I could ever imagine.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:08:48 pm »
+1

In the OP of the other thread I talk about what's needed to do a split-screen video with me. If you record in a format I can read (lots of them) then I'll do the editing. The only tricky part is making sure you record the right audio but the details are over there so I won't re-post them.

There are two types of video formats in the split-screen playlist. The real split-screen stuff starts at video 14, just in case you had missed that.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 02:39:43 am »
+1

I don't think that we learn so much by watching a 3p-game, where you can't speek freely, because the others hear you.
But it was so much fun to watch! You're a nice little group, which has fun while playing. That jumps over to us.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.