Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Card Combos on the wiki  (Read 22057 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Card Combos on the wiki
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 10:37:08 pm »
+1

How about Storeroom/Philosopher's Stone, then?
Storeroom makes it a lot easier to get to 3$P and also provides the buy needed to help PS take off and make use of it once it has. It's not worse than the existing "Combo" PS/Herbalist, i think.
I tried this against the bots awhile ago. It's about on par with Herbalist/PS.

Storeroom works well with most potion cost cards, if you think about it.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 12:21:21 am »
+8

Please don't mistake Combo with synergy. Scheme synergizes basically with every attack, but this doesn't make it a combo. A combo is basically a deck archetype. You build a deck around this key cards and it plays very differently from the "normal" archetypes, like Big Money, Engines or Slogs. Also the key cards are usually much stronger in this deck then they are otherwise. Golem+Scheme+Strong Attack could be considered a combo though and KC+Scheme maybe.

Storeroom and Philosopher's Stone on the other hand is a combo that I pointed out several time ago. After a couple of test games it's doesn't seem as great as Herbalist+PS because you can't top-deck PStones which is huge, but it's still strong. Not sure if it deserves a seperate article though or if it should be added to the Herbalist+PS article.

Nevermind

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:58 am »

I was playing an opponent and dominated him. I settled for 3-pile ending, but my engine was gong full swing with this combo I couldn't believe hadn't been posted. While surprisingly effective, this engine allowed me to almost draw my whole deck and ironworks nobels with bridges' help. Introducing, the new power engine combo, menagerie/hamlet! Discard for +actions and +buys (which both work well with a bridge game) while activating your menageries!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
+1

I was playing an opponent and dominated him. I settled for 3-pile ending, but my engine was gong full swing with this combo I couldn't believe hadn't been posted. While surprisingly effective, this engine allowed me to almost draw my whole deck and ironworks nobels with bridges' help. Introducing, the new power engine combo, menagerie/hamlet! Discard for +actions and +buys (which both work well with a bridge game) while activating your menageries!
Well, it's not exactly new. I'd imagine that the reason why it hadn't been posted was that Menagerie generally has synergy with (or counters) any cards that make you discard cards from your hand, especially ones that give you +actions, so rather than being a combo, this is more like Menagerie just being Menagerie.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 12:06:45 pm »
+1

Works with:
Early trashing
Warehouse
Opponent’s Militia, Goons, handsize-decreasers
Outpost
Hamlet
Other discard-for-benefit cards, with some +Action (e.g., Horse Traders, Vault)
Haven
Other Cornucopia cards that reward variety (e.g., Harvest, Fairgrounds)
Cards that lead to variety (e.g., Black Market, Prizes, opponents’ Cursing attacks)
http://dominionstrategy.com/2011/06/05/cornucopia-menagerie/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 04:09:07 pm »

I've noticed it before.  The first thing that I thought when I got Cornucopia was, "Menagerie and Hamlet would go good together!"
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Nevermind

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2014, 10:08:10 pm »

I've noticed it before.  The first thing that I thought when I got Cornucopia was, "Menagerie and Hamlet would go good together!"
Thanks for bursting my bubble guys :'( I didn't see it listed so I posted it. Then again, Nevermind (A pun, in of itself, so I can try to remake my bubble(Ha! two dominion puns in a row,give me some respect!  8)))

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2014, 08:27:56 pm »
+1

Thanks for bursting my bubble guys :'( I didn't see it listed so I posted it. Then again, Nevermind (A pun, in of itself, so I can try to remake my bubble(Ha! two dominion puns in a row,give me some respect!  8)))

Four people commented how my Storeroom/PS combo seemed good (and by trying it, i can now say it actually is... decent), and i didn't get a single respect. Doing a cheap joke in the meme thread, i get around 4. This alone should show it's really not that important.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.