Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What do you expect from a (fan) card randomizer app?  (Read 1982 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
What do you expect from a (fan) card randomizer app?
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:37:01 am »
+7

As some of you might have noticed by looking at my "personal text" at the left, i am currently working on a randomizer app that will allow adding your selfmade fan cards. I am doing this for android devices, and most of it is allready done. This is the status quo:
  • Complete random choice of cards from the sets you choose
  • Option to bundle Potion cards, that is, either 0 or 3-5 show up
  • Option to play without attacks
  • Sort chosen cards by cost, Set or name
  • Exchange chosen cards by click on them
  • Exclusion list and favourite list
  • Add own cards, where a card has:
    • A name
    • A cost from 0 to 99, any number of Potions and possible overpay
    • Any combination of types excluding Shelter, Ruins and Knights
    • Any number of setup rules and additional materials, including mandatory Platinum/Colony/Shelters, Potion (without having Potion cost), a Bane card (if Young Witch is used, both share the bane) and any material used by other cards, including tokens, mats and non-supply-cards, as well as any completely new material. The only thing not implemented yet is an automatic "additional pile" option.
  • Storing those cards in up to 3 different fan sets that can also be renamed
  • English and german language

Right now i am working on an option for biased randomization (if that combination of words makes sense).
Edit: The bias is not very good right now, and i'd appreciate input on what i should probably change. Actually, that's the main point of this post. These are some ideas i had:

If "biased random is chosen",
  • at least two 5$ cards are included
  • if there are at least 3 terminals, a Village is added
  • not more than 3 attacks are on the board
  • Thief and Noble Brigand only show up at the same time if Platinum or a Kingdom Treasure is used
  • Woodcutter and Nomad Camp don't show up at the same time.
  • Chancellor and Scavenger don't show up at the same time.
  • Shelters are used when Rebuild is chosen

What should be added here? What are bad ideas? Halp!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:30:22 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: What do you expect from a (fan) card randomizer?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:35:14 am »
+2

Why only 3 fan sets? Seems an arbitrary limit. Similarly arbitrary are your "biased random" criteria.

Personally, the feature I care most about is the ability to generate sets pulled from a limited number of expansions. As in it randomly chooses expansions, then chooses cards only from those expansions. There are two ways to do this.

1. You can weight the expansions so that the ones with more cards are chosen more often. Then you pick an equal number of cards from each chosen set.
2. You can weight the expansions equally, then choose the cards randomly from a pool of the chosen expansions. I like this option less because in a game with Dark Ages and e.g. Guilds, you often have 8 Dark Ages cards and only 2 Guilds cards.

EDIT: But, I don't have an Android device and I wrote my own randomizer, so I guess I'm not the target audience.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:36:25 am by LastFootnote »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »
+2

The one thing that randomizers never seem to have that I'd love to see is the option to select some number of cards besides 10. My friends and I often want to play using a Veto Mode similar to Isotropic's. So, if there are 3 of us playing, then I'd like to be able to select 13 cards, from which we can each veto one card to end up with 10. All of the apps that I've seen automatically just give you 10.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:49:17 pm »
+7

I just expect the back to have that blue border.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:04:37 pm »

Schneau, thanks for the idea with the veto mode. I'll see how much trouble adding something like this will give me.

LastFootnote, doing more sets isn't actually a problem, i just figured 3 would be enough. Probably not. Guess i'll just squeeze in a few more. The thing about a set number of randomly chosen expansions is a nice idea, thank you for that. Also yes, my "biased random" criterias are arbitrary, which was why i hoped for some input as to how to change that. Maybe i didn't make that clear enough.

SirPeebles, i expected something more helpful from you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:57:29 pm »
+2

Also yes, my "biased random" criterias are arbitrary, which was why i hoped for some input as to how to change that. Maybe i didn't make that clear enough.

Well, I appreciate that, but my advice is to drop the feature altogether. It's a feature that would require a lot of time and work and its benefit is marginal.

Maybe the "at least two cards costing $5" is valid, but even that is pushing it. Even one of the suggested sets of 10 in the Dark Ages rulebook has all cards costing $4 or less. If you do include it, you might want to stipulate that if more than one or two Alchemy cards are included, then only one $5 card is needed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:59:00 pm by LastFootnote »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
Re: What do you expect from a (fan) card randomizer app?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:31 pm »

Hmm... Probably you are right.
I think i will implement both methods for random sets you mentioned, LastFootnote - the first because it seems interesting, the second because it's almost done anyhow.

Edit: Changed thread title because it probably was misleading. I now get where SirPeebles was coming from.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:42:13 pm by Asper »

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:18 am »
+2

The one thing that randomizers never seem to have that I'd love to see is the option to select some number of cards besides 10. My friends and I often want to play using a Veto Mode similar to Isotropic's. So, if there are 3 of us playing, then I'd like to be able to select 13 cards, from which we can each veto one card to end up with 10. All of the apps that I've seen automatically just give you 10.
Dominion vault on iOS has a veto mode.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.