Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Why Guilds is only for English Language people  (Read 24432 times)

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
Why Guilds is only for English Language people
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:58:36 am »

I read in another thread that Guilds is not avalaible in Germany. It is the same in France. I asked the French Language editor about this and he answerded me "not before 2014".
Is there someone who knows why for this extension, German and French Language are so delayed ?

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: Why Guilds is only for English Language people
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:18:04 am »
+1

In Germany, it's probably due to the breakup of RGG and the former publisher HiG. There is a rumour, Guilds will be available at Spiel in Essen in October.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 06:45:12 am »

The Finnish translation was supposed to be released in August originally, but hasn't been released yet and currently lautapelit.fi says it's going to be released this month.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:06 am »
+22

The Dutch version has been out for awhile now and it features some notable improvements over the English edition. A particular nice example is how the translator considered the English Stonemason to be a bit weak, and kindly tweaked the wording so that its Dutch brother enables you to double Province for $10, or get you two Platina for the price of one + a little tip.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:56:36 am »
+6

The Dutch version has been out for awhile now and it features some notable improvements over the English edition. A particular nice example is how the translator considered the English Stonemason to be a bit weak, and kindly tweaked the wording so that its Dutch brother enables you to double Province for $10, or get you two Platina for the price of one + a little tip.

Um...  that translator should be fired.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:14:02 am »
+29

Um...  that translator should be fired.

He or she will never translate another Dominion expansion!
Well you *do* need a signature...

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:47:57 pm »
+6

Ah, probably he did that to make up for the fact that he made Urchin terminal (giving +buy instead of +action).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:26:39 am »
+5

Well, it's certainly less helpful than trashing your own Treasure cards with Pirate Ship!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 07:15:30 am »

Is it the German Dark Ages which lets you gain any type of card with Procession?
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 08:54:18 am »

Yes

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:18:15 am »

Maybe they need to hire translators who can distinguish between simple English words?  Seriously, how do you type "+1 Kaufe" instead of "+1 Aktion"?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:49:02 am »
+2

Well, we've been amazed by this for 4 years now..

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:00:17 am »
+3

Some, more subtle, mistakes in the German translations were due to the creative approach to explain the rules in a more understandable way. For example, about the difference between 'gain" and 'buy' the base set rulebook says something like "GAIN happens during your action phase, BUY happens during your buy phase". Hey, that easy!

They kept holding on to that until Hinterlands (ignoring rules issues with some Prosperity cards for example), when they teeth-gnashingly submitted a rules revision (or something like that) explaining the "new" meanings of 'gain' and 'buy'. They must have felt like being betrayed by their own wits.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:30:48 am »
+4

I now begin to wonder about books translated into other languages.  Do the translators get "creative" for those as well?  Does the Dutch version of Harry Potter have an invincibility cloak instead of an invisibility cloak?  Is the French version of a Dan Brown book actually readable?  Is the Russian version of Twilight three times as long and contain two hundred pages of commentary on economic systems?

And going the other direction, is the original Italian version of Foucault's Pendulum actually as crazily messed-up as the English version was?  Because that was pretty trippy.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:44:13 am »

Well, it's certainly less helpful than trashing your own Treasure cards with Pirate Ship!

Hmm, I have to wonder how this version of PS would play. Seems like it would actually be really strong... trash your own Coppers, thus play your Pirate Ship more. Of course it doesn't slow down your opponent, but I bet it would be pretty fast.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »

Wait...this thread isn't a joke?  :o

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30:53 pm »
+10

Nope, it's not a joke, but do you want me to explain it anyway?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:21 pm »
+9

Nope, it's not a joke, but do you want me to explain it anyway?

Kirian has punched you in the nuts.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 12:54:13 pm »
+1

I'm also puzzled how someone translating games can not know that it might not be a good idea to ignore the "may" in a card's text.

This happens in other games as well. In Ghost stories, the English rules tell you to reduce a monster's strength "to 1" instead of "by one".

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:00 pm »
+1

I now begin to wonder about books translated into other languages.  Do the translators get "creative" for those as well?  Does the Dutch version of Harry Potter have an invincibility cloak instead of an invisibility cloak?  Is the French version of a Dan Brown book actually readable?  Is the Russian version of Twilight three times as long and contain two hundred pages of commentary on economic systems?

And going the other direction, is the original Italian version of Foucault's Pendulum actually as crazily messed-up as the English version was?  Because that was pretty trippy.
Terry Pratchett wrote a bit about some of the translations of the Discworld novels (I think it was an appendix to one version of the Discworld Companion), and apparently they were generally quite faithful to the plot and characters, but also very creative regarding the wordplay, of which there is a lot. The example he gave was, IIRC, in a joke about the Great A'Tuin (the turtle on which the Discworld rests) and a theory in which it would find another world turtle and mate, often referred to as the "Big Bang" Theory. The Dutch translator took the Dutch term for the real Big Bang Theory, and modified it to something that roughly translates as the "making love outwards model".

Anime journalist / translator / voice actor Jonathan Clements also gave an address to student translators about actually working as a translator, and part of it was talking about the changes you have to make when translating to make something that sounds right in the new language, as opposed to being a slavish literal translation of the original. I'm not sure if it's online, but it's in his book "Schoolgirl Milky Crisis".

However, both of these are examples of creativity coming from necessity, and neither is particularly appropriate when talking about board games that need very exact translations to make sure the rules play the same in all languages.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 07:05:42 pm »
+2

Terry Pratchett wrote a bit about some of the translations of the Discworld novels (I think it was an appendix to one version of the Discworld Companion), and apparently they were generally quite faithful to the plot and characters, but also very creative regarding the wordplay, of which there is a lot. The example he gave was, IIRC, in a joke about the Great A'Tuin (the turtle on which the Discworld rests) and a theory in which it would find another world turtle and mate, often referred to as the "Big Bang" Theory. The Dutch translator took the Dutch term for the real Big Bang Theory, and modified it to something that roughly translates as the "making love outwards model".

Anime journalist / translator / voice actor Jonathan Clements also gave an address to student translators about actually working as a translator, and part of it was talking about the changes you have to make when translating to make something that sounds right in the new language, as opposed to being a slavish literal translation of the original. I'm not sure if it's online, but it's in his book "Schoolgirl Milky Crisis".

However, both of these are examples of creativity coming from necessity, and neither is particularly appropriate when talking about board games that need very exact translations to make sure the rules play the same in all languages.

In the French version of Harry Potter, the Sorting Hat is "choipeau" a portmanteau of "choix" (choice) and "chapeau" (hat), which I think works quite well.  There are similar such things throughout the translation.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 03:14:11 am »

Hmm, I have to wonder how this version of PS would play. Seems like it would actually be really strong... trash your own Coppers, thus play your Pirate Ship more. Of course it doesn't slow down your opponent, but I bet it would be pretty fast.
Well, you trash both your own and other people's Treasure, so it's even stronger than that.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 05:44:01 am »
+1

Is the French version of a Dan Brown book actually readable? 

Seems unlikely, no?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 04:02:31 pm »

For what's it worth, Harry Potter is translated from British English into American English. And, the Philosopher's Stone was renamed the Sorcerer's Stone. That was probably the biggest translation difference between the 7 books.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 04:15:29 pm »

For what's it worth, Harry Potter is translated from British English into American English.
Does British English usually get translated into American English, or the other way around?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.