Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: GokoDom II: Round 6 Discussion Thread  (Read 22823 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: GokoDom II: Round 6 Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 08:52:58 am »
+2

On Friday I played my match with andwilk, but I was out of town over the weekend and didn't get a chance to upload the videos or write about the match until now. So here it is. This is one of the most interesting tournament matches I've ever played, and some of these kingdoms are among the most interesting I've ever played. I'm glad I got to play them against a competent opponent like andwilk. Thanks for the match.

Video Playlist Link:

Game 1: andwilk 27, AdamH 47

Kingdom: Vagrant, Trade Route, Death Cart, Island, Worker's Village, Laboratory, Mystic, Outpost, Altar, Hoard

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1379686570588.txt

Video link:

Look at the top-deck interaction here! Clearly the key component is Lab, since it's the only draw on the board. We both open double Silver and race the Labs, but he hits $6 early enough to justify getting an Altar while I just need to buy Lab every turn by the time I hit $6, but I've gotten a Trade Route for thinning anyways. I'd say he has a slight edge here, but once the Labs are gone and we've each gotten an Outpost it's time to decide on a direction for the rest of the game. With Hoard and Island there are multiple directions you can go; he goes for a Hoard and a larger deck while I thin more aggressively and aim for turns that look like "Island Province, buy Province/Island, hopefully repeat on Outpost turn." I take a bit longer to build because I'd rather be using Mystics for cash to stay as thin as possible, but it pays off as I'm able to power through Provinces. Funny thing is, I didn't even realize the HUGE synergy between Vagrant and Mystic until I had several opportunities to use it that I just ignored!

Game 2: AdamH 31, andwilk 34

Kingdom: Duchess, Haven, Pawn, Smugglers, Baron, Caravan, Fortress, Horse Traders, Remake, Possession

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1379687243256.txt

Video link:

Well they can't all be fun engine games, can they? Maybe they can, since he built a little more with Remake and Caravan and that's why he won. Perhaps I need to work on my Big Money play...

Game 3: AdamH 38, andwilk 20

Kingdom: University, Militia, Monument, Pirate Ship, Apprentice, Baker, Festival, Junk Dealer, Hunting Grounds, Bank, with Colony/Platinum

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1379688326766.txt

Video link:

Big engine here, it poses an interesting question, since you want to open Potion for University, but you also want to open Junk Dealer for thinning because of the Baker opening. We both opt for a delayed University. He gets his Potion a shuffle before I do and is constantly ahead on Universities, so feeling like I'm behind, I just buy a million Hunting Grounds and hope things line up. He piles the Bakers, though, which I don't know how I feel about. I get some good turns early for this, and I think the fact that I have more draw leads me to victory. Really interesting endgame here as well, since we're both getting Apprentices for reliability but neither of us can seem to line them up with a target so we both have "dud" hands.

Game 4: andwilk 32, AdamH 31

Kingdom: Oasis, Smugglers, Wishing Well, Philosopher's Stone, Baron, Caravan, Spy, Bazaar, Harvest, Rabble

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1379688906277.txt

Video link:

All the components of an engine with no trashing. Eww. With Baron as a BM enabler I decide to go for something more money-based, while he goes a little more engine-y. I'm not positive what happened here, because I don't think I should have done as poorly as I did. In any case, I think the game was over when the one Rabble in his deck skipped over all three of the Golds in my deck, it was like Goko didn't want me to see it and flashed the animation so quickly that it hoped I missed that. You make your own shuffle luck. This was a really frustrating loss for me.

Game 5: andwilk 47, AdamH 19

Kingdom: Embargo, Forager, Great Hall, Smugglers, Island, Taxman, Ghost Ship, Hunting Party, Rogue, Wharf, with Shelters

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1379689790252.txt

Video link:

I learned a valuable lesson in this game by getting thoroughly pwnt by Taxman. Turns out that's a really good card sometimes. That plus I had like no focus this game. He played really well and I didn't and the final score reflects that.

Also, I hate Smugglers. Not as a card, but I think I'm not very good with it.

Game 6: AdamH 15, andwilk 3

Kingdom: Vineyard, Poor House, Chapel, Alchemist, Caravan, Ironworks, Plaza, Baker, Cultist, Pillage

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1379690337882.txt

Video link:

HOLY CRAP this game was over in 10 TURNS! My starting Baker token sat there unspent the whole game, along with a bunch of Plaza tokens I got over the course of the game too. And I'm pretty sure that both of those were the right play.

Really interesting board -- Cultist, but Vineyard and the only +Buy was Ruined Market (which was not on top of the deck, or else it would have been really interesting!). He opens double Ironworks and I open Ironworks/Chapel, I also focus quite a bit more on draw with an early Potion so I'm still able to even out the Ironworks split 5/5. I green a touch earlier as well, which gives me commanding endgame position.

Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:25 am »

Wow, we have a lot of missing matches this week...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:39 am »
+1

Video Playlist Link:

All the videos are private!

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 09:56:01 am »

Wow, we have a lot of missing matches this week...

It was a short week!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:00 am »

Video Playlist Link:

All the videos are private!

AAH!

Whoops. Fixed now. Thanks.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:16 am »

Round 7 Pairings are up.  Actual posts to follow later.  Remember you have two weeks for these matches!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 09:45:34 am »
+2

LOL at my final line-up:
Obi Won Bonogi - Stealth Tomato - ednever - Eevee - Stef - JOG - Geronimoo

It's been an interesting challenge, to say the least. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 04:50:51 pm »

LOL at my final line-up:

How many cupcakes were you expecting?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 04:58:55 pm »

I didn't ask for any, dude.  You're free to read whatever you want out of my post, though.  If I wanted to be that guy, I could be that guy.  It's just an internet tournament.  At least Robz respects me.

Now I'm going to go cry because people are implying things about me.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:53 pm »
+1

I didn't ask for any, dude.  You're free to read whatever you want out of my post, though.  If I wanted to be that guy, I could be that guy.  It's just an internet tournament.  At least Robz respects me.

Now I'm going to go cry because people are implying things about me.
When I say "cupcake", I mean "easy opponent". I'm totally confused as to what you took this as, and I'm really sorry that I apparently offended you. My only point was that your lineup doesn't seem unusually strong to me, given the quality of players in the tournament as a whole.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 05:13:26 pm »

Ah, I thought 'cupcakes' meant 'sympathy from the TO / other players.'  That's what I get for trying to think ahead of a chess guy.  I apologize for making you think you needed to apologize.

I would say this was by far the strongest group of players I've been through in a tournament here personally.  I don't mean to put anyone down who's at a lower level or anything; I'm just going by leaderboard stats and skills displayed in logs / articles / etc.  It was unusual as I'm used to feeling more like there's a progression or I'm either significantly ahead or very poorly matched against my opponents.  In this one, I felt pretty pressured every round.  Since the seeding was random, I assume I'm at least half-right. 

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »

I don't disagree that you've had very strong opponents. You have. They're stronger than any previous tournament you've been in - I agree. I just think, if you look, other people will have the same thing, because the average skill in this tournament is just super high.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:27 pm »

I don't disagree that you've had very strong opponents. You have. They're stronger than any previous tournament you've been in - I agree. I just think, if you look, other people will have the same thing, because the average skill in this tournament is just super high.

This exactly.  Last I checked, half the tournament players were in the top 100 in the drunkensailor isotropish leaderboard.  And you're one of those!  If this whole thing were random, you'd be expected to play 3 or 4 top-100 players... but those players will tend to float upward on average, as well.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 10:24:52 pm »
+5

LOL at my final line-up:

How many cupcakes were you expecting?

A Baker's Dozen.

bama

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 12:24:24 pm »

Where should I post for Round 7?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.