Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: GokoDom II: Round 6 Discussion Thread  (Read 22697 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
GokoDom II: Round 6 Discussion Thread
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:15:51 pm »
+1

Please also post your results here, and add your commentary and/or discuss your and others' matches!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom II: Round 6 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:14 pm »

i dont feel too bad about having lost to drowned kernel now that he has guaranteed at least a tie for the top spot :)
Go, and do likewise.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:47:43 am »
+1

Quick writeups from a half-finished match:

Stealth Tomato 3 - 2 Eevee (In Progress)

Stealth 34 - 28 Eevee
Scavenger game with a twist, but mostly a Scavenger game. I got behind, made a good call to break PPR, and it paid off. Not a skill-heavy game.

Eevee 17 - 9 Stealth
I manage to open two early Witches and get a 7-3 Curse split, but his Goons prevents several Goons buys for me, he picks up a couple of double Goons turns, and he's able to kill the piles. Again not a skill-heavy game, although I love his move to pick up a bunch of Sages.

Stealth ? - RES Eevee
I open Quarry-Silver selling out for Ghost Ship, he doesn't. I get two Ghost Ships and that's about all she wrote, although his early Mint is likely a mistake and I really like my buy order here.

Eevee ? - RES Stealth Tomato (my internet cut out; I was behind so I accepted the loss)
Really goofy KC game, I think he played better than I did and my draws were horrific. My internet died halfway through so I called it a resign.

Stealth 84 - 57 Eevee
We both Mint away 4 Copper, I pick up a boatload of Platinum, he futzes around with Horn of Plenty on a low-drawing board, and I walk with a bunch of Colonies.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:31:07 pm »

Quick writeups from a half-finished match:

Stealth Tomato 3 - 2 Eevee (In Progress)

Stealth 34 - 28 Eevee
Scavenger game with a twist, but mostly a Scavenger game. I got behind, made a good call to break PPR, and it paid off. Not a skill-heavy game.

Eevee 17 - 9 Stealth
I manage to open two early Witches and get a 7-3 Curse split, but his Goons prevents several Goons buys for me, he picks up a couple of double Goons turns, and he's able to kill the piles. Again not a skill-heavy game, although I love his move to pick up a bunch of Sages.

Stealth ? - RES Eevee
I open Quarry-Silver selling out for Ghost Ship, he doesn't. I get two Ghost Ships and that's about all she wrote, although his early Mint is likely a mistake and I really like my buy order here.

Eevee ? - RES Stealth Tomato (my internet cut out; I was behind so I accepted the loss)
Really goofy KC game, I think he played better than I did and my draws were horrific. My internet died halfway through so I called it a resign.

Stealth 84 - 57 Eevee
We both Mint away 4 Copper, I pick up a boatload of Platinum, he futzes around with Horn of Plenty on a low-drawing board, and I walk with a bunch of Colonies.
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130919/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1379596540177.txt Here is the missing log.. I guess I was ahead enough to accept a win, it's a shame we couldn't get to finish this though.

In the first game we both play well, I get luckier in the middle but his late game luck turns it around.
In the second game me getting my quarry and goons to collide so often in the early game was probably the difference.
In the third one I painfully underestimate the importance of quarry, stealth totally outplayed me in this.
In the fourth game I postponed getting a hamlet for way too long, eventually having to spend 17 on it. A very complicated engine to build.
In the fifth I just got too ambitious, HoP decks are just so fun to build. Should leave experiments like this for non-tournament games.

We'll try to finish this asap. A really fun series this far!

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 03:15:27 pm »
+2

Stef beats scott_pilgrim 3.5-1.5

Fortune Teller, Workshop, Baron, Spy, Inn, Laboratory, Library, Pillage, Royal Seal, Wharf
Silver/Silver, Silver/Baron or maybe Silver/Fortune Teller?
I went for Silver/Baron but in hindsight I don't like it. The first 2 $5 hands I want Wharf rather then Inn anyway, so the 'shuffling back in the baron' becomes relevant only very late game.
The game went horrible, with my baron missing an estate the first three times I saw it. I think he greened way too early but his lead was big enough to hold up.

Chapel, Herald, JackOfAllTrades, Moneylender, Remodel, Golem, Bandit Camp, Horn of Plenty, Ill-Gotten Gains, Pillage with shelters
A powerful but very tricky engine is hidden in there.
He opens Chapel/Bandid Camp which is of course a fine opening, but I like my Chapel/Jack a little bit better. Turn 3 I draw the chapel dead but fortunately I hit it again on turn 4.
After that I start remodeling free silvers into heralds. I still like this game plan but I think I should have pushed it a bit further: also go for the golems. Now I have quite some trouble getting up to 8 uniques in play; herald is unreliable as soon as I start greening, and if I'm not careful the silvers/spoils spread like rats in my deck.
The turn before the last I have $5 on an equal score, and I like my Ill-Gotten-Gains buy. Not so much for the curse he gets, but it provides me 2 uniques for the price of only 1 card to draw on the last turn.

Duchess, Great Hall, Watchtower, Ironmonger, Plaza, Quarry, Worker's Village, Pillage, Rogue, Tribute
I like this set a lot. All sorts of mini-might-be-combo's in there: Plaza with Watchtower, Quarry with Workers Village, Ironmonger with Great Hall, or if your opponent takes too many great halls Tribute. And Rogue as an attack isn't the strongest in the game off course, but if you can play a couple of them each turn it will start hitting.

In the actual game he pursues almost pure Plaza/Watchtower, which I think is not that strong. Just not enough $ output to really get going.
I go for some kind of weird mix where I take a bit of everything, and although it looks like it's close for a long time all of a sudden I manage to build up a huge lead while he stumbles.
I must admit I was quite lucky lining up Quarry and Workers Village often. If he adds a couple of Rogues and/or Tributes at the right time, I think he has it because his huge coin stack can provide the $8 repeatedly.

Ambassador, Fortune Teller, Masquerade, Menagerie, Marauder, Noble Brigand, Catacombs, Highway, Tactician, Tribute with shelters
This one was really weird. He has a 5/2 start which looks quite bad, while I open double masq (I like that with shelters) and get the dream t3: both masqs and the necropolis.
I trash both overgrown estates, pass him my hovel, and end up with $6. After this, I manage to give the game away.
I get scared of his engine, because of the nasty attacks on the board, and because highway can become huge if left unchecked. This is a very unfounded fear because at this point his 'engine' still consists of a tactician, 7 coppers and 3 shelters. So I think - hey if I just go pure Masq-BM from here on, trash my necro, his engine won't really work without a village anyway, so what could possibly go wrong?
He explains this to me in the form of Noble Brigand and robs me blind. My lead is big enough to still get half a point, but this doesn't feel good at all.

Pawn, Masquerade, Procession, Graverobber, Haggler, Hunting Party, Journeyman, Royal Seal, Tribute, King's Court
And then King's Court happened. It is, you know, strong, with just about anything. Graverobber qualifies just fine.
Masquerade into plain Hunting Party-Haggler is almost always a good plan, but not with KC around.
Join the Dominion League!

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »
+1

No Pawns Intended defeats ednever 3.5 - 2.5

YouTube Playlist!  (individualized links below)

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130919/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1379635722499.txt 54 No Pawns, 31 ednever

This was a Workshop Silk Road rush for me, and an Apothecary-based engine for him.  Because it was a Colony game, I wasn't sure I had the right strategy, but it worked out.

YouTube for Game 1: 

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130919/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1379636481694.txt 37 ednever, 21 No Pawns

I get excited about the Ironworks-Highway strategy.  I get more Highways than ednever, but he builds an engine that's better and more resilient.  Smithy-Village (a classic) + Highways + Minions and Expand guaranteed ed the victory here.

YouTube for Game 2:

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130919/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1379636945701.txt 39 ednever, 29 No Pawns

Ed gets a 5/2 opening with no good $2 cost cards, but Band O' Misfits is on the board.  In opening BoM/-, he basically opens workshop that turns into Noble Brigand.  He gets a bunch of Caravans.  I go for doubleHoard, but that's not as good.  Ed wins easily.

YouTube for Game 3:

Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130919/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1379637799044.txt 25 No Pawns, 25 ednever

Ed builds a nice engine using Young Witch, Herald, Mining Village and Oracle.  I have a strategy that mostly relies upon money and Herbalist becomes my power card.  I get most of the Curses, but somehow my Herbalist and Fist Full of Gold put me in a good position near the end.  Ed ends the game with a tie having $12 and two buys, Silk Road was only worth 1 VP, so we tie.  If he hadn't done that, I would have bought the last Province... so we tie.  I'm down 2.5-1.5, precariously close to elimination.

YouTube for Game 4:

Game 5: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130919/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1379638396970.txt 32 No Pawns, 8 ednever

IGG, Cultist and Familiar are on the board.  I am first player.  This was a good game to be first player.  I go for a Money-IGG-rushy thing.  He clogs while I get some Provinces and start greening.  He picks up Cultists to slow me down, but that helps me run out a third pile.  He actually ran out the Ruins, and I helped him by buying and gaining some of them.

YouTube for Game 5:

Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130919/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1379639744878.txt 44 ednever, 46 No Pawns

The game from Satan himself.  Amb-Pirate Ship-Saboteur-Soothsayer-Sea Hag.  I go Double Amb into a Pawn-based Tactician game.  My deck dies with me in a huge lead, and only two piles out.  Ed claws back with Fairgrounds, Nobles, heavy Pirate Shipping, some Soothsaying, etc.  I think he could have done better with a Saboteur, maybe.  Is there any reason not to do that once my deck dies?  Maybe there was another mistake in there too, but I'm not sure.  Also, I'd power up the Fairgrounds if I'm him.  I think if he does that, he wins easily.  Anyway, you can hear my astonishment that I'm able to end the game on piles in this final YouTube video once it loads.

YouTube for Game 6:

Thanks to ednever for the games.  Ed, you put together some fantastic strategies (see Game 2 and Game 3 in particular) that show I have a lot to learn in the ways of Dominion.  Ex post, there's always a way to question a particular choice or set of choices, but I feel lucky to have come away from this one with a victory. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:20:44 am by nopawnsintended »

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:16:59 pm »
+1

I'll post some commentary for my first time.

I played against StrongRhino and all I can say ... some boring (because of the cards, not my opponent!!!) and (for me) some weird games. At some point I lost my attention I guess... Seems to happen a lot lately.

Game 1 : Secret Chamber, Vagrant, Oasis, Island, Plaza, Trader, Journeyman, Merchant Ship, Royal Seal, Stash

Well, sorry to say, for me, not much happening here other than Plaza + Journeyman. No buys, no attacks, maybe a merchant ship inbetween ... Other than that, get your money!

I open Silver/Trader to get rid of the pesky estates and to get my Journeyman to work a bit more properly. StrongRhino chooses Silver/Island.
Well, in the end I was a bit scared by his opening because it was probably going to be lighting fast. Luckily my engine kicked in a bit sooner and the $8 came at the right time.

---

Game 2 : Great Hall, Horse Traders, Scout, Cache, Counting House, Graverobber, Market, Mine, Adventurer, Fairgrounds

Silver/Horse Traders for both of us, then a Mine and we're off. StrongRhino picks up a fairgrounds in between but I don't have confidence in that. I feel as if he is forcing a bit his deck with Great Hall and Scout. It seems to go quite equal but I am quicker to pick up some golds which decides the game.

---

Game 3 : Lighthouse, Stonemason, Loan, Trade Route, Armory, Bureaucrat, Remodel, Taxman, Stash, Hunting Grounds

Big Money again it seems. I open Trade Route/Taxman, he opens Silver/Taxman. And then I suddenly start needlesly panicking on the Taxman - I really need to block that attack. So I start stupidly playing around with Stonemason/Lighthouse ... Only to find myself buying nothing special between turn 7 and 13. We both go hunting on the grounds and I succeed in trashing some with the stonemason but he keeps his lead quite nicely.

---

Game 4 : Embargo, Fortress, Noble Brigand, Wandering Minstrel, Bandit Camp, Harvest, Stash, Fairgrounds, Grand Market, Hoard

Ugh. Can we get an engine please ??? Silver/Armory for both, but then we digress. I keep building up money, StrongRhino starts Noble Briganding quite heavily. I thought this would be less good when there is nothing to trash, but I get proved wrong. Using the Bandit camp, he starts stocking up on Grand Markets, I keep it at BM. I stay in the lead for quite long but my fairgrounds are of lesser value than his. In the end, he plays a mega turn which immediately decides the game.

---

Game 5 : Poor House, Candlestick Maker, Herbalist, Pearl Diver, Develop, Remake, Trader, Apprentice, Embassy, Treasury

Silver/Remake right ? WRONG !!! There's a poor house in play - yeah I had fallen asleep I guess.
This is probably one of the weirdest games because his strategy seems to go off SO much quicker. Yet in the end I succeed in getting my stuff together and getting one point ahead. Don't ask me how.

---

Game 6 : Cellar, Armory, Death Cart, Gardens, Navigator, Tournament, Band of Misfits, Bandit Camp, Counterfeit, Outpost

Finally something interesting, I thought. Silver/Armory for both of us. But then a big surprise : he starts stocking up on gardens. And I let him take all 8 of them with the armories.
Well, how bad can they get ? I mean, soon, I will have enough provinces to compensate that right ? Wrong ... I get 4 provinces but the piles get depleted sooner than I can say "I like StrongRhino's style". I just let him do his stuff and got my payback : a big fat 0.

Well was nice playing but I need to get my focus back on.

Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:45 pm »

Tie match.

Game 6: Eevee ? - RES Stealth

I hate to be bitter, but after that game, I'm tremendously bitter. I think I'm allowed some of that after being put through 34 turns of that thanks to his spectacular failure to put the game out of reach.

I have nothing good to say. The luck swing was awful. The deck I was playing against was poor. And normally, I'd get over that in about five minutes (and resign around Turn 9). But in the match-deciding game of a tournament, it just sucks.

Luck happens and I could have played better in other games or other matches. But... ugh.

Good match, at least five games of it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:39:28 pm by Stealth Tomato »

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 05:38:41 pm »

Tie match.

e: I'll hold some of the bitterness for a moment.

I hate to be bitter, but after that game, I'm tremendously bitter. I think I'm allowed some of that after being put through 34 turns of that thanks to his spectacular failure to put the game out of reach.

I'm sorry for putting you through that and truly feel bad you didn't have fun, but I don't know what else I can do but swear I was playing to win the entire time. I guess I said all this 20 times in the chat already.

edit: I didn't realize it eliminated you from the tournament. Your frustration is even more understandable.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:27:51 pm by Eevee »

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 05:41:05 pm »
+1

Tie match.

I'm sorry for putting you through that and truly feel bad you didn't have fun, but I don't know what else I can do but swear I was playing to win the entire time. I guess I said all this 20 times in the chat already..

edit: I didn't realize it eliminated you from the tournament. Your frustration is even more understandable.

Nah, I wasn't in any sort of contention. I'm still bitter, but I can deal with that, it's not your job to feel bad.

It IS, on the other hand, your job to figure out when to just play a Province deck, goddammit!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 05:42:56 pm »
+1

Tie match.

I'm sorry for putting you through that and truly feel bad you didn't have fun, but I don't know what else I can do but swear I was playing to win the entire time. I guess I said all this 20 times in the chat already..

Nah, I wasn't in any sort of contention. I'm still bitter, but I can deal with that, it's not your job to feel bad.

It IS, on the other hand, your job to figure out when to just play a Province deck, goddammit!
Duly noted! I'm aware of my biases, now more than ever.

Thanks for the match.  :)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »
+1

Tie match.

Man, I think you're too close to this. It's not exactly a clear call, but this looks like a Vineyards situation to me, especially with Ghost Ship slowing down the game so badly. You can't get the strongest draw deck here, and you have cheap Actions available.

Certainly he got a bit luckier at the beginning, but your decks weren't so drastically different after that--except he pivoted (I think wisely) for Vineyards, and you didn't.

So I really don't think Eevee should be like apologizing to you or something. I'm sure he could have played a little better (usually we all can), but he played reasonably well at least.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
+2

I'm apologizing for causing stealth to have an unpleasant experience, I don't think it much depends on how correct he is in his assessment of the strength of my strategy.

Yesterday I apologized to a friend for stepping on his glasses and breaking them. We both knew it wasn't my fault as they were in quite a dumb place on the floor, but you know, it sucks to have your glasses broken. Or to go through a game like that and feel you got robbed by lady luck and eliminated from a fun tournament because of that.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 06:26:09 pm »

Man, I think you're too close to this. It's not exactly a clear call, but this looks like a Vineyards situation to me, especially with Ghost Ship slowing down the game so badly. You can't get the strongest draw deck here, and you have cheap Actions available.

Certainly he got a bit luckier at the beginning, but your decks weren't so drastically different after that--except he pivoted (I think wisely) for Vineyards, and you didn't.

So I really don't think Eevee should be like apologizing to you or something. I'm sure he could have played a little better (usually we all can), but he played reasonably well at least.

It's possible Vineyard may be the correct play in an even game. But after Turn 10, he has an extra
Ghost Ship, Cartographer, 2 Inns, and a Village to my Herald, 2 Silver and 2 Native Village.

I maybe should have skipped the NVs, but he's holding 6 $5 cards to my two. Even though two of those are Inns (one an obvious bad buy and one somewhat questionable with $6), his deck has double the drawing power of mine, plus sifting power, plus an extra attack. Vineyard is out of the question for me because I'm never going to get through the deck fast enough. My only edge is that his buying power isn't very good.

The argument for Vineyard is compelling but I don't buy it. The board potentially sifts better than it draws, making it a decent proposition to pick up Potion every turn, but the sifting is expensive and slow to obtain. The lack of +Buys obviously makes Vineyard power up really slowly as well. Herald helps mitigate Ghost Ship.

But really, what pissed me off was that I feel like I didn't have a prayer by the aforementioned Turn 11, before which my only mistake was buying Native Village instead of passing... is that inaccurate?

e: I'm slurring my points into each other, so I cleaned it up a bit.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:42:30 pm by Stealth Tomato »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 06:42:32 pm »

It's possible Vineyard may be the correct play in an even game. But after Turn 10, he has an extra
Ghost Ship, Cartographer, 2 Inns, and a Village to my Herald, 2 Silver and 2 Native Village.

I maybe should have skipped the NVs, but he's holding 6 $5 cards to my two. Even though two of those are Inns (one an obvious bad buy and one somewhat questionable with $6), his deck has double the drawing power of mine, plus sifting power, plus an extra attack. Vineyard is out of the question for me because I'm never going to get through the deck fast enough. My only edge is that his buying power isn't very good.

You could make the argument that this board sifts better than it draws, making it a decent proposition to pick up Potion every turn, but you're passing up a lot of buying power for that. With Herald available to counter GS, and no +buys, I disagree with the board being too slow for Province or fast enough for Vineyard... but am I wrong in the base premise that I didn't have a prayer by Turn 11, at which time my only mistake was buying Native Village instead of passing?

I think you are in bad shape but not out of it entirely, and I think Eevee closed the game wisely by going for VIneyards. It's entirely possible a Province deck stalls against Vineyards deck here, if he goes for Province and YOU go for Vineyard.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »
+4

AI 3 - zaubererer 1

Well played, zaubererererer. Sorry about Game #2...

Game 1: zaubererer
An App-MS board with lots of engine support. I spend my opening $5 on an Apprentice (probably a mistake). Zaubererer builds a Wandering Minstrel engine and adds just a little bit of App-MS for draw.

I get to a $24 megaturn on T13, but we've both burned through a lot of Gold and there's only 4 left, which means my usual move here (1 Prov, 3 App) isn't going to work. I should have bought the 3 Provinces, but I take the 4 Gold instead, thinking to deprive zauberer and win over the next few turns.

Instead, I get a lesson in paying attention. Zaubererer, who already has all the Gold he needs, draws his deck and buys 3 Provinces himself. I settle for a pile of Duchies, which is probably a mistake. I need to gamble on him missing. He doesn't anyway, and I draw only Gold and Duchies on my next turn, so zaubererer locks it up.

Game 2: AI
It's clearly an IGG-Storeroom game, so zauberer naturally opens Storeroom-Silver. I go Storeroom-Squire, thinking I'll add some Silver and make up for a few extra Curses with a Province or two (probably a mistake). Then I completely lose my head and buy some Peddlers and an $8 Forge (definitely a mistake).

I end up with 9 Curses, a couple Duchies, and a non-functional engine. This is an easy win for zaubererer once he buys a few Duchies, but he's already cleared out IGG/Curses completely (probably a mistake) so I try for an Estate 3-pile, not feeling very optimistic. A few turns later, Zauberer grabs the penultimate Estate and leaves me with a 6-VP deficit. I play Squire and Storeroom three cards and catch my miracle: Forge, Peddler, Copper for 7 VP and the 3-pile win.

Game 3: AI
Margrave, Harem, Nobles, Vault, and a bunch of crap. Zauberer opens Lookout/Silver, which makes me figure he wants the engine. I rarely play BM, but I don't like the prospect of building an engine with weak trashing and a $6 non-drawing village, so I open Silver/Silver for Margrave-Harem-BM. Zauberer follows suit but the Lookout makes him slow to get to Margrave and I end up with a big lead.

Game 4: AI
We both go for a Wharf-Plaza engine, but I open Silver/Courtyard to zaubererer's Monument/Courtyard. I end up with 7 Wharfs and zaubererer's 6 Plazas and 4 VP tokens aren't sufficient compensation. He gambles on a Courtyard 3-pile but doesn't get there in time.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 10:18:33 pm »
+2

Titandrake 1.5 - eliegel 3.5

Fun set, interesting set, stupid set, silly set! I can tell where my calls were bad so it hurts a lot less to lose this round.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1379724095195.txt

I try to make the Wharf engine, but Herald as the only +Actions is way too slow against Wharf-Masterpiece-BM. Not much else to say, bad call.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1379724980371.txt

Well here's a log to show that yes, all the decisions matter. There's a lot of interesting interactions here, Silk Road + Island + Harem and IGG, but turns out we play Chapel-BM in the end. On my turn 8 I buy a 2nd Mystic with $7 over Harem, thinking it'd be better than the 2VP. I then never hit with Mystic ever again, so it's the same as Silver, and we tie on VP, so that one turn cost the win for me.  Turns out min-maxing every turn is how you get good at Dominion; who knew.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1379726130485.txt

I played this kinda badly, but I'm 1st player and there's Cultist so it doesn't matter. Ruins split 4-6, I go for the 3-pile using Altar, but play it awfully by not picking up enough Altars and ending very slowly. This gives room for the HoP engine here to catch up, but luckily I manage to end it before it can get the VP.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1379726774070.txt

IW/Gardens, the game. I go for 1 Sage 1 Silver, eliegel goes for 2 Sages, and the 2nd Sage seems to make the difference. Although Sage hits Gardens, it hits IW enough to make it worth it. One turn buy deciding the game again; well darn that's sad for me.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130920/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1379728118023.txt

Well I have 5/2 and Jack, Fishing Village, Shanty Town is out...So I open Tactician/-, pick up Potion/Hermit on my Tact turn, turn my Hermit into a Madman, and go for a "Possession all day every day" deck. Surprisingly good actually, it's all luck but my chances weren't bad at all. At least it was the funniest board, decisions on Possession turns when Durations are out are tough.

Out of these games I think I'd only want to play the 2nd again, and the last again. The 2nd because it's actually a very interesting board despite how it played out, and the last because as luck based as it was, it was the one board I feel I made the right plays on. Thanks for the games!
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 11:23:02 am »
+1

Mic Qsenoch 3 -1 kn1tt3r

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1379773486194.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1379774056538.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1379774480234.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1379775028466.txt

Game 1: Secret Chamber, Warehouse, Mining Village, Remake, Baker, Highway, Knights, Stash, Tactician, Torturer
Fun board. We both go for Double Tactician. The only big differences in our play that I can see here are 1) I pick up a second Tact right away and 2) I Remake a little more aggressively and Remake into Highways instead of buying them. I don't know that these are huge, but I end up with a 6-4 Highway split despite being second player (possibly just better draws on my part). This more or less seals the game, I can double Province easily because I don't really need much economy, he is going to have to stock up on more Bakers. He also accidentally uses up all his actions one turn before playing Tact, but the game was likely decided at that point.

Game 2: Scrying Pool, Conspirator, Scout, Talisman, Tournament, Merchant Guild, Mint, Rebuild, Farmland, King's Court
The pieces are here for a decent SP engine, but it looks way too slow with Rebuild on the board. I just play Tourney/Rebuild while he attempts the engine. I have very good draws, lots of $5s early and then above average luck lining up Provinces with Tourney, but I can't see the game going his way even without my good draws. His engine really needs trashing of some sort to get the action density high in a short time. He will certainly have some big turns eventually, but the Rebuild strat isn't going to leave enough VP on the board for the engine player to catch up with.

Game 3: Doctor, Wishing Well, Familiar, Cutpurse, Remake, Treasure Map, Council Room, Jester, Soothsayer, Expand
I go for Familiar, while he sticks with Soothsayer. I have the perfect first reshuffle, picking up Familiar and Remake, but then I don't hit 3P again while Curses are still out. I think my second Remake is a mistake, and my deck is a little crammed with terminals at some point. I don't win the Curse war by much because I can't get a second Familiar. He just builds up a nice pile of Golds, with an Expand that should be very useful as well. I think at some point I should Remake a Gold into an Expand, but I don't think of it until after the game. He has no trouble buying Provinces and wins handily.

Game 4: Duchess, Swindler, Alchemist, Trader, Apprentice, Bazaar, Council Room, Market, Mystic
We both try Alchemist stacks and open Potion/Swindler. Both of our Swindlers miss the reshuffle. I have the good fortune to pick up two Apprentices before he hits over $5, but when he does he takes a Market, which I believe is a mistake. I get even more luck and Swindle the Market. He Swindles one of my Apprentices, but by this point my deck is fairly clean. His unlucky draws have left him with a lot of Silvers, while I am drawing my entire deck. $5 is the key price point here, and I just got better shuffles.

Thanks for the match kn1tt3r!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 03:38:03 pm »
+2

My match vs. florrat was extremely competitive. My opponent played very well, and the sets were interesting.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1379787598384.txt
Pawn, Stonemason, Philosopher's Stone, Ironworks, Baker, Inn, Mint, Rabble, Venture, Wharf, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Colony, Platinum, Potion

Wharf/Silver opening for both of us. That seems better than Mint/Silver. Wharf is just so good. Okay, then our strategies diverge completely. I Mint away the Coppers, content myself with 3 Wharves, and plan to play a Venture stack. He picks up ALL the rest of the Wharfs and a bunch of Inns via Stonemason. This takes a while, and I feel like Venture should carry me through. Well, it doesn't--he wins easily. As he should. You know something, Venture is NOT a power card at all. Why do I always think it's going to be good? Definitely outplayed here.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1379788062729.txt
Duchess, Steward, Bureaucrat, Cutpurse, JackOfAllTrades, Cache, Counterfeit, Ghost Ship, Altar, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
I am quite happy to be going first in what looks like straightforward Jack + Counterfeit situation. King's Court is just an obvious trap here. Well, I feel like my draws are decent enough, but his are even better. He gets a second Jack--I never have time for that; Counterfeit is just more important if you have the coin. We both have 2 of them, though, and he can take a lead. We deplete Duchies, and then I just need both Provinces. Luck swings back my way, however, and I achieve a narrow, narrow victory. Mostly just a mirror here.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1379788522059.txt
Develop, Smugglers, Scout, Butcher, Count, Duke, Horn of Plenty, Market, Treasury, Witch, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse

I can get Witch/Witch on Turns 3-5, putting me in awesome shape to just snowball him here. There's some question of Count into Duchy-Duke, which we both eventually go for. My Witches start colliding a lot, but I snap up enough of the Duchies that it's just not going to matter. I do wonder if Count allows you to skip Witch completely here, but neither of us tried that.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1379790014553.txt
Oracle, Sage, Scheme, Armory, Horse Traders, Contraband, Counting House, Highway, Upgrade, Nobles, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Colony, Platinum

Super interesting board. Highway is the key card, and it has lots of weird interactions with Armory (which can gain lots of expensive stuff), Upgrade (turn Copper into Nobles!), and Sage (with a couple Highways in play, Sage is just a non-terminal Chancellor). I think the big difference in our early play is that I take more Sages and an earlier Armory, whereas he takes a second Horse Traders and a second Upgrade. This works out pretty well for me, and I win the all important Highway split. At that point things look good as piles deplete, but he's gotten way more Nobles so he draws his deck more consistently. I have a Platinum, though, which means I am in Colony range, and he isn't. But... he gets Contraband! Which gives me a really interesting choice at one point. I am 99% sure he can't afford Colony (he only has 3 cards left, and only 1 Silver and 1 Copper in his deck), and Colonies cost $7 for him. But I waffle--what if I am missing something? Because even he gets a Province, that's not so bad for me. So I just block Colony, which is wrong, as I assumed it was. He Province + Duchy, and gains a Province through Armory (and I think Upgrades a Copper into a Duchy). So now I'm a tad scared. But thankfully I can grab a Colony and end the game on piles.

I think I outplayed him in the last game at least, but luck was certainly on my side in those middle two.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 04:01:28 pm »

Polk defeats Watno 3-1.

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1379787860695.txt

Colonies, Candlestick Maker, Chancellor, Doctor, Forager, Bishop, Nomad Camp, Spy, Taxman, Minion, Tribute

This game really hurt my head. I took a long time playing it. I think it was 25 minutes or so....

Watno opens Doctor (overpay)-Forager. I open Forager-Doctor (overpay). We both go for Minions and Candlestick Makers. I view Minions as more important (winning the split 7-3) and he really gobbles up the CMs (winning the split 7-3).

Once those stacks are out, I think: "Now what?  ???"

Watno at least has a plan: rack up the coin tokens then end the game on a megaturn. I buy a Colony to get a point lead then try getting a couple Tributes. The idea is that they will give me actions and then I can Bishop for more points while keeping a Minion chain going to hit my 3 CMs. I pick up 2 more Colonies and am trying to get $18 and 6 buys to empty Foragers before Watno gets his coin token stack to critical mass. I realize after a few turns that I actually can't get 6 buys with my deck. Oops! I pick up a Nomad Camp and then the next turn I get perfect shuffle luck to end it just before Watno can pull the trigger. That was close!

Game 2:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1379788383178.txt

Beggar, Trade Route, Urchin, Watchtower, Feodum, Worker's Village, Embassy, Inn, Mountebank, Outpost

I open Watchtower-Silver. He goes Silver-Silver. I really think Watchtower was the right call here. I am able to get a couple Mountebanks, buy some Inns to play them repeatedly, then get an Embassy.

He gets snowed under and looses it -- that is, he loses the game connection. He could chat, but Watchtower refused to draw anycards. He graciously resigns because I was out to a large lead. While we had a couple more scares, this was our only disconnection problem.

Game 3:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1379789284883.txt

Native Village, Menagerie, Tunnel, Armory, Farming Village, Pirate Ship, Baker, Saboteur, Border Village, King's Court

I had a pretty poor plan this game. I opened BV-Baker-NV which I think was clearly inferior to his Baker-Silver. I was going to use NV to mat Coppers and Silver, then draw with Menagerie, and it sort of worked, but not really. My game plan (since I lost the Baker split) was then King's Court that Sabotuer to stop the Baker engine and get back some of those points! My KCs got matted too many times and the draw just wasn't there. Tunnel meant I wasn't really reducing his point total when hitting Duchies very much, and 3 piling became a concern too quickly. Oh, well.

Game 4:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1379789848757.txt

Embargo, Market Square, Masterpiece, Swindler, Bishop, Navigator, Young Witch, Catacombs, Council Room, Stash, Peddler

Yay, Stash! I love that card. And it was playable here! Masterpiece is the bane.

I go Catecombs-Embargo (Embargoing Market Square) then money. I overpay on $6 for Masterpiece to dilute the curses coming in from YW with Silver. Midgame I pick up a Swindler. This was probably not a good move, but I Swindled a Duchy and bought the last Province to take the match at the very end with a little help from him (he shouldn't have discarded the Market Square for the Gold to the Swindler. That cost him at least a point).

So, this wasn't exactly the best played Victory, but I think my really good luck here makes up for one of my earlier matches. That's how luck works, right? ;)

Thanks again for the games, Watno. It was fun. Good luck in the rest of the tournament.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 05:14:52 pm »
+2

dudeabides wins vs. mail-mi 4-2

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.506b5cfc0cf21d2313f966fe.1379790949149.txt
mail-mi wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.506b5cfc0cf21d2313f966fe.1379791764541.txt
dudeabides wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.506b5cfc0cf21d2313f966fe.1379793224204.txt
dudeabides wins because of a stupid mistake on my part.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.506b5cfc0cf21d2313f966fe.1379794608745.txt
mail-mi wins

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.506b5cfc0cf21d2313f966fe.1379795933860.txt
dudeabides wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130921/log.506b5cfc0cf21d2313f966fe.1379796809235.txt
dudeabides wins.

Game 1: Key cards: Cultist, Bishop, Fortress, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty

I see cultist+a village and know i have to go for it. I open silver/silver to get $5 ASAP, he opens bishop/silver. His first $5 is a Ghost Ship, and mine is a Cultist. His is probably a mistake becuase he ends up with all the ruins in his deck. With ruins and native villages out, we both start picking up cities. I'm able to get 3 provinces before piling out the cities for a comfortable win.

Game 2: Key cards: Fishing village, Expand, King's Court, Catacombs.

His FV/FV to my Silver/FV, we both go for a Catcombs draw engine. I pick up an early tunnel to try to get some golds, and he gets a lot of fortresses. His first $7 is an expand, and I don't hit seven until he also has a KC. I get a Kings court, and in hindsight that should of been an expand because expand/fortress is really good here. He wins with 4 provinces on a 3-pile of catacombs/fortress/FV.

Game 3: Key cards: Band of Misfits, Black Market, Salvager,

I'm still really mad about this one. We both have nice decks, getting three colonies then Province-dancing. I get this hand: Taxman-Forager-BoM-Silver-Platinum-Colony (i had caravan in play last turn). I can Forager my Taxman, getting +$4, BoM as Salvager a colony and get the last two colonies. I PLAYED BOM FIRST. I trash a colony, and when i go to play forager, I can't. Stupid, stupid, stupid. He wins by doing the same thing with BoM as salvager the next turn.

Game 4: Key cards: Witch, Margrave, City, Consipirator.

He gets the first witch, and I lose the curse split 6-4. However, with curses gone Cities draw 2 cards, and i get a comfortable amount of those with 2 margraves. I'm able to get a 2 point lead and pile out Cities and Conspirators. A close one.

Game 5: Key cards: Journeyman, University, Bandit Camp.

We both open potion to get Universities and Journeymen and Bandit Camps. He gets the most Journeymen and BC, and my villages and journeymen never come together. He pulls off a comfortable win.

Game 6: Key cards: HoP, Stables.

HoP looks really good here, and we both go for it. However, my first non-HoP $5 is Junk Dealer, while his is Stables, which is a mistake on my part. He wins the stables split 7-3 and is able to pile out before I can even see any of my stables.

Good games, dudeabides!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 04:39:44 pm »
+1

WW 3 - 1 Geronimoo
(Videos uploading have been uploaded)

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1379876364304.txt

So it just looks like there's nothing to do here - colonies are on the board here, and there's no village, and the only draw is steward and Scrying Pool. So he goes pretty much steward/money for colonies.
I decide to go for it with a scrying pool engine for vineyards. The thing is, it's just too far to go for colonies this way, and there's not going to be a great chance to get lots of actions at once. Nevertheless, I trade route it up, grab all the random green, get some pools, and pivot to vineyards. The key here is that I am also able to get to several Provinces. BM/Colony is just not that good, and he stalls out. If he would have been able to get to all the colonies, I would have been in some hot water, but there's just not the support for that.

Game 2:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1379877078419.txt

This one is more obviously a vineyards board, with university. He just gets up fast enough to get the vineyard split (his Rabbles do well in that regard), but I am counting on my butchers to do the deed for me and get some provinces to overcome. I get to the point where it is a very close endgame down the line, and... Turn 19, I University a Saboteur (mostly it was just some random action); I neglect to check points now (off his point counter), and this misstep causes me to blow it; I Butcher potion into province without thinking, then am left with $3 and buy estate. Getting the last two gardens instead would have ended the game on a win. $3 the next hand as well, and I can't do get the gardens which would again win it for me. He gets gardens each of the turns, and I lose by two.

Game 3:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1379877370970.txt

There's absolutely nothing to do here except big money. I mean, there's ambassador and remake, but you just go masq, with no villages and basically no buys/gains. There's possession to try to take advantage of them if they go amb or masq, but I expect that's WAY too slow. Anyhow, this comes down to him going Torturer, and me going Mandarin. Soothsayer was my other thought, but I ended up just liking mandarin. And his torturer prompted me for a second masquerade, which was just fine. Well, I like my plan here, but it ended up not feeling close, which doesn't feel right.

Incidentally, after this we had an aborted game (wrong first player) which popped up with the exact same kingdom. Strange...

Game 4:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1379877945393.txt

Shelters and Colonies. I go for the feast, and I am rewarded, getting Witch AND Hoard and a silver. So, I like Hoard here, even with colony because there is Great Hall to pick up, and over the long haul, the golds are worth it. He gets a gold on his first 6,  and gets hoard later, which I find somewhat strange. Anyway, he gets the second witch quicker (maybe I should have gotten a second one over one of the early hoards), and wins the curse split, which is a big deal. I get up to a pretty big advantage, but he comes back - I don't know what the deal is, maybe it's to do with overgreening, maybe the altar I got should have been a Gold, but he takes a lead. So on my penultimate turn, I altar copper for Duchy and buy the penultimate province. I'm not happy about it, because his deck is pretty good, but he goes ahead and grabs the penultimate duchy, which allows me to end it the next turn - admittedly he was in a similarly-bad position once he had his whiff.

So a bunch of interesting boards and interesting games. Thanks!

PitrPicko

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »
+2

PitrPicko 3 - 0 Jaybeez

Game 1: Poor House, Candlestick Maker, Herbalist, Woodcutter, Caravan, Gardens, Procession, Remake, Bazaar, Merchant Guild

So remake here, sure good and only trashing. My plan was here trash all the money for poor houses estates for silvers (no good $3 actions) and then for maybe caravans. I chose to sneak in some Procession for Proc(PH). My first idea was to add also some MGs but as game went there were no time for that. Jaybeez spots that piles are running dangerously low and buys Gardens(?). So I also start to green with some remakes to duchy. Then it went turn by turn and jaybeez hits one bad turn where he buys only estate. This allowed me to have some point advantage and finish the game on piles few points ahead.

Game 2: Cellar, Duchess, Doctor, Fortune Teller, Woodcutter, Golem, Catacombs, Market, Nobles, Expand

Nobles/Catacombs could be a thing, after all catacombs are great drawer but Expand just shouts GOLEM on me. Expand is lovely card with important $5s action because you can expand estates into 5s. Problem with expand is, that you have to play it often. But golem is very good for that. Also market is great card for golem as source of money and cantrip action. Also some catacombs for drawing. Jaybeez goes for doctor(overpay 1 T1) and I still find this opening really really weird. I don't know if it is a good play or not... After that, Jaybeez also goes for golem but with nobles. But totally skips expand which is probably mistake here. Also his doctor doesn't work well... I'm building some engine also adding some cellars as source of action and some shifting is also usefull. Mid-game I found interesting option of expanding catacombs into two actions when I have golem in hand and no more actions in deck.

This is going very well and knowing that Jaybeez cannot use expand (because he doesn't have one) to grab provs, I'm expanding few 5s and in last turn buying 1 prov and getting 2 more provs from expands. That is huge point amount and grants me a win.

Game 3: Vineyard, Stonemason, Loan, Familiar, Fortress, Scout, Laboratory, Minion, Pillage, Rogue

This is just sad. Well this is a coinflip game... And I bet on heads, Jaybeez bets on tails. We flip the coin and 3heads on one coin just showed up.
1) He's missing 3P for familiar.
2) I'm hitting 3P and 5 for familiar and minion
3) And then I've got 5P stonemasoning 2 more Familiars in one turn.

And that's game over... As interesting play to mention here is stonemason a familiar into vineyards after curses are dealt.
Jaybeez couldn't do anything. Just pure luck in this game.

Anyway thanks for games. First two were great and I really enjoyed them. First was tight because of threepile ending. Second showed the power of remodeling (expanding) and canibalizing your deck in the end game. Third showed that luck factor is part of the Dominion and we have to accept it.

Thanks once again
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:47:38 am by PitrPicko »

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 10:56:58 pm »
+2

PitrPicko 3 - 0 Jaybeez

Game 1: Poor House, Candlestick Maker, Herbalist, Woodcutter, Caravan, Gardens, Procession, Remake, Bazaar, Merchant Guild

So remake here, sure good and only trashing. My plan was here trash all the money for poor houses estates for silvers (no good $3 actions) and then for maybe caravans. I chose to sneak in some Procession for Proc(PH). My first idea was to add also some MGs but as game went there were no time for that. Jaybeez spots that piles are running dangerously low and buys Gardens(?). So I also start to green with some remakes to duchy. Then it went turn by turn and jaybeez hits one bad turn where he buys only estate. This allowed me to have some point advantage and finish the game on piles few points ahead.

My Gardens buy was kind of dumb.  I only had $4 to spend as I recall and I sort of panicked about the piles being very low.  And I thought, "Well 2 VP will prevent him from draining the piles and buying a single Estate to win."  Not smart.  I think Procession helped you more than I was expecting it would, I think my Caravan was a waste, and I also should have focused on trashing my Coppers over my Estates early I think: I ended the game with 3 Coppers and a Silver, you had just one Copper.

Game 2: [http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.505e9c9c0cf2ef979299a7c0.1379880959881.txt] Cellar, Duchess, Doctor, Fortune Teller, Woodcutter, Golem, Catacombs, Market, Nobles, Expand [/url]

Nobles/Catacombs could be a thing, after all catacombs are great drawer but Expand just shouts GOLEM on me. Expand is lovely card with important $5s action because you can expand estates into 5s. Problem with expand is, that you have to play it often. But golem is very good for that. Also market is great card for golem as source of money and cantrip action. Also some catacombs for drawing. Jaybeez goes for doctor(overpay 1 T1) and I still find this opening really really weird. I don't know if it is a good play or not... After that, Jaybeez also goes for golem but with nobles. But totally skips expand which is probably mistake here. Also his doctor doesn't work well... I'm building some engine also adding some cellars as source of action and some shifting is also usefull. Mid-game I found interesting option of expanding catacombs into two actions when I have golem in hand and no more actions in deck.

This is going very well and knowing that Jaybeez cannot use expand (because he doesn't have one) to grab provs, I'm expanding few 5s and in last turn buying 1 prov and getting 2 more provs from expands. That is huge point amount and grants me a win.

Yeah you played this well.  My Doctor buy... I don't know, I thought trashing early would be good for making sure I could get $4P right after buying a Potion.  I'm not sure if I got unlucky or just played it badly but it did not trash as fast as I'd hoped.  And you're right, ignoring Expand was a terrible idea here.  I thought I was in good shape when I bought my 6th Nobles but your plan was just better.

Game 3: Vineyard, Stonemason, Loan, Familiar, Fortress, Scout, Laboratory, Minion, Pillage, Rogue

This is just sad. Well this is a coinflip game... And I bet on heads, Jaybeez bets on tails. We flip the coin and 3heads on one coin just showed up.
1) He's missing 3P for familiar.
2) I'm hitting 3P and 5 for familiar and minion
3) And then I've got 5P stonemasoning 2 more Familiars in one turn.

And that's game over... As interesting play to mention here is stonemason a familiar into vineyards after curses are dealt.
Jaybeez couldn't do anything. Just pure luck in this game.

Definitely the most frustrating game I've played in recent memory.  The game was over on T4 (his T3 and T4: $5 for Minion, $4P for Familiar; mine: $4 for Silver, $2P for nothing), his $5P Stonemason buy on T7 just added insult to injury.  But I stuck around for a while anyway because hey, who knows.  And I guess the one good thing about that was I saw his clever use of Stonemason as he mentioned.  I thought he was overbuying Familiar at first, so it was a neat "a-ha" moment.

But yeah, this was a very hard pill to swallow.

Anyway thanks for games. First two were great and I really enjoyed them. First was tight because of threepile ending. Second showed the power of remodeling (expanding) and canibalizing your deck in the end game. Third showed that luck factor is part of the Dominion and we have to accept it.

Thanks once again
That's a great summary.  Also each game featured a relatively rare interaction or strategic environment: the first game had Remake and Poor House with Remake actually being good, the second game was an engine board where not trashing early was better than trashing early, and the third game had Vineyards being gained and not bought.

Thanks for the match, PitrPicko.  You're a really good player, it was a pleasure.  Except for Game 3 :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:59:29 pm by jaybeez »

Indur

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 04:11:49 am »

Indur - Zporiri: 4-2

1 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1379881844128.txt
Transmute, Beggar, Scrying Pool, Lookout, Oasis, Alchemist, Remodel, Spice Merchant, Young Witch, Mandarin, Forge, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
Bane card: Lookout

I buy too many Scrying Pools (keep drawing my deck with 2 to spare in the last few turns); he uses Forge to great effect to gain a lot of Provinces. I can't overtake him. Score: 21-28

2 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1379882480433.txt
Steward, Wishing Well, Workshop, Coppersmith, Farming Village, Marauder, Remodel, Spy, Taxman, Harem, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Ruins

I like my opening of Steward/Marauder more than his Steward/Workshop. The spoils help me buy gold, while also acquiring a second steward and a Farming Village (I've kept my Necropolis), while my opponent stocks up on farming villages, Taxmen and wishing wells. Each time he has 6 he buys Harems. Intriguing move. I start buying Provinces starting turn 12 and never lose my lead. Score: 46-27

3 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1379883278540.txt
Sage, Scheme, Village, Workshop, Trader, Council Room, Explorer, Mandarin, Border Village, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse

Interesting board, with great potential for both an engine and Big Money (both of which are helped by KC-Scheme). We both start 5-2. I open nothing/Explorer, then Silver into Mandarin into Border Village/Council Room, thinking Council Room right from the start helps my opponent too much. He opens nothing/Council Room into Workshop into Scheme. He starts building an Engine while I try my luck with a weird hybrid, using KC-Explorer for instance. I begin buying Provinces early (turn 8 ), thinking I don't want to give him too much time to perfect his engine, and knowing that his 2 Council Rooms will help me make my $8 hands.
Provinces for me turns 8, 9, 10 and 11 and I feel like I'm golden, but his deck with lots of schemes, KC, CR and Mandarins can produce huge amounts of money all of a sudden. Still, he falls just short of ending with a win on turn 12 (!) And I can KC-Eplorer with a province in hand to buy the last 2 provinces. Score: 39-18

4 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1379884149737.txt
Poor House, Moat, Trade Route, Farming Village, Horse Traders, Marauder, Plaza, Rats, Mountebank, Venture, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Ruins

I forget to open Horse Traders; my opponent buys Mountebanks turn 3, 4 and 5 and I don't have a chance. I resign. Score: 11-40

5 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1379884614508.txt
Fool's Gold, Ambassador, Market Square, Spice Merchant, Apprentice, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Minion, Rebuild, Vault, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse

This game really revolved around Ambassador and Rebuild (well duh). I picked up a Spice Merchant along the way, which helped me deal with the coppers I got passed. My third Rebuild, shuffle luck and the fact that he named the wrong victory card in the endgame helped me win. Score: 23-18

6 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130922/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1379885807527.txt
Transmute, Herbalist, Lookout, Swindler, Caravan, Coppersmith, Salvager, Worker's Village, Knights, Nobles, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion

My head's still spinning from this one (and we played this game last night). I got some horrible horrible luck (5 Curses and 2 Coppersmiths from Swindler), and feel like I've lost the game. We play on, and his batch of Nobles enables him to draw his deck practically every turn, and giving him a decent point lead. My knights, however, start eating at his slim deck, slowly deteriorating it. He stalls in the last turns of the game, allowing me to salvage a Nobles into the last Province for a 1 point win. We were both really surprised here. I think maybe extra Knights would have helped him keep my deck in check, while also working towards a 3-pile ending of Knight/Nobles/Curses. Score: 38-37.

Fun series, mostly. I feel I played game 1 badly and have my doubts about my Explorer opening in game 3, but otherwise feel I played alright.
Thanks for the games Zporiri.
“Memories are their own descendents masquerading as the ancestors of the present.”
--David Mitchell --
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.