Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Hoppy Box  (Read 12122 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
The Hoppy Box
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:52:13 am »
+21

That's right ladies and gentlemen, this is not just another Hobby Lobby box.  Oh no it isn't.  This is my Hobby Lobby box.  It's the Hoppy box, and it is very special.  You want to know why?  Because it looks the coolest.  That's why.  And coolness is everything.  Those people in Antarctica must be the best people ever.  But I digress.  Onto the pictures (I apologize for their massiveness, but hey, the box deserves it).

So this is the box

Isn't that awesome?  My girlfriend did that.  She bought the box for me (knowing it was the one I wanted because she knows people who have it) and she thought hey, this box is too boring, it looks like everyone else's box.  So she borrowed my woodburner and voila. I would like to add that this was pretty much the second thing she had woodburned and it turned out amazing. 

For those of you who don't know what the hobby lobby box looks like, here's another view of it

And here's a picture of how I organize the box

Ok, it's not as fancy or organized as the AdamH's box, but it still works.  Unlike AdamH and some other people on here, I use the bag method of organizing rather than organizing the cards alphabetically, I put each card in its own plastic bag

This way, you can reach in the box and snag 10 random bags and play with those cards.  It does get a little annoying with young witch, but then you just pull the 11th card until you get one at the right cost.  Really not that bad.  It doesn't work if you want to play a specific kingdom, but I hardly do that anyways.  But it can be done, just takes a while.  Here's a better look at the cards:

You may notice there is something in with the cards.  That's just a piece of cardboard.  I use that to divide the cards that I have played with from the ones I have not.  We play through all the cards before replaying any of the cards, that way they all see the table for an equal amount of time.  It would be good to note that this is including all the cards through guilds sans promos.  But I'm sure I could shove the promo cards in there if I really wanted them.  This box has not been modified in any way as well.  I took the two dividers that the box came with and stacked them in one slot and was able to fit all the kingdom cards behind those dividers.  I'm not opposed to modifying, but this is easier and it works.  And if I'm not mistaken, Spoemeister asked here for a storage solution that did not require modification.  This does require a screwdriver to remove an easel thing the box comes with, but apart from that, nothing.  Also, my cards are sleeved with the normal mayday games sleeves (the ones advertised in the Dominion box) and it all fits fine.
For the basic cards:

They are in front of the kingdom cards and divided by some index cards.  Yeah it's crude, but I haven't had time to make a more permanent divider or boxes for the cards.  But this works for now.  For the treasures, since the stacks are larger I have a folded index card that sticks out above them and allows you to lift them out of their slot. 
For the tokens:

I use a bead container I found at Michael's (I believe AdamH uses a very similar system for his).  It works excellently and even gives you little trays to keep the tokens in so you don't have to spew them all over the table.  It holds all the Guilds tokens as well.
As for the other extra stuff, it all fits in the basic cards box (My girlfriend got me those too along with the box.  She really is the best :))

This includes the mats, extra rats, madmen etc.  Spoils are in with the other basic cards because they are used more often.  I think the prizes might be there too, but not 100%, I don't have the box with me so I can't check. 
Finally, I am able to keep another set of basic cards in the box in case I need to have 2 games at once.  They just fit next to the token tube

So that's about it for my storage solution.  It's quite simple and when you woodburn it, it looks fantastic (at least I think so).  Thanks!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: The Hoppy Box
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:03:06 am »

Dude, your box looks cool, and I'm hoppy happy for you. But could we please not turn this forum into BGG where half the goddamn threads are people showing off their storage solution? This is the Dominion Strategy Forum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:14:16 am »
+1

Dude, your box looks cool, and I'm hoppy happy for you. But could we please not turn this forum into BGG where half the goddamn threads are people showing off their storage solution? This is the Dominion Strategy Forum.
Storage solutions are strategy, too.

I've been using two MTG binders for storage. That's very great, except if you have sleeves.

See, there are even edge cases!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:00 am »

I apologize.  I was not sure what thread to put this in.  I have only seen 2 or 3 on here, and Spoemeister had expressed interest in it earlier (although I don't think he has posted anything else).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:30:10 am »

I apologize.  I was not sure what thread to put this in.  I have only seen 2 or 3 on here, and Spoemeister had expressed interest in it earlier (although I don't think he has posted anything else).

You don't have to apologize! It's just my opinion. If you had to post this on the forum at all, I'd say this was definitely the correct place for it. I'd just rather this sort of thing were posted on BGG instead. But again, that is purely my opinion.

My comments stem from my pet peeve of logging into BGG, seeing that I have a bunch of new threads/posts in my subscriptions, then finding out that they're mostly/all about storage solutions. I don't use a subscription mechanic here, so probably it's not as big a deal.

EDIT: I do really like the box engraving. Your girlfriend is indeed awesome!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:33:34 am by LastFootnote »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:22 am »
+1

I also use the bags method.  Bags Method Master Race right here, folks.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:38 am »
+2

You don't have to apologize! It's just my opinion. If you had to post this on the forum at all, I'd say this was definitely the correct place for it. I'd just rather this sort of thing were posted on BGG instead. But again, that is purely my opinion.

My comments stem from my pet peeve of logging into BGG, seeing that I have a bunch of new threads/posts in my subscriptions, then finding out that they're mostly/all about storage solutions. I don't use a subscription mechanic here, so probably it's not as big a deal.

EDIT: I do really like the box engraving. Your girlfriend is indeed awesome!
Oh, ok.  I from your language and frustration I thought it was more an attack on me :P  But I see what you mean now.  I don't mess around with forums on BGG.  The whole site just feels clunky, unintuitive and too big.  The community here feels much better.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:56 am »
+11

LF - you don't have a problem with the millions of other snark posts and the meme thread and that stuff, but this? And then AHoppy apologized to you for making his post when there was actual content in his and just whining in yours? Come on, dude.

The number one complaint about Dominion in my gaming group is the setup/tear down time. I went through several different ideas for storage solutions before, and now that I use the Hobby Lobby Box that complaint is gone and now the number one complaint has shifted to "it's not Battlestar." I view this as a complete success.

AHoppy - That decoration looks really good, so it was just a trace of the logo, and then what, the image on the Curse card? That looks really nice. If you don't mind my asking, how much is a wood burning tool, and is it difficult to use with tracing to get such a good quality like that? That just looks so much better than I thought it would and it will last much longer than painting or other stuff...

Index cards for getting your treasures out? I need to try that, I think that might just be amazing.

Those bead storage containers, they make them in a larger size as well -- I use a big one for all the Trade Route/Pirate Ship/Coin Tokens, and having both sizes around is REALLY nice for lots of other games (I know you're into TTA as well, they're absolutely AMAZING for that: a big one for the pieces each player starts with, and then a little one for the extra yellows, blues, reds, and whites. It doesn't fit in the regular box anymore after you do that, but I combine 3 or so games into each box so I just put it in my Ra box).

So the Madmans, Mercenaries, and extra Rats are stored separately? Is this because they won't fit in the bags you use for the rest of your kingdom cards? I'm sure you can get a bag that's slightly larger that will fit them -- in the crafts section of Wal-Mart (and lots of other places) you can get bags of all sizes for really cheap. I carry them around in my game bag because they're useful for tons of other games as well. Take a safety pin and punch a small hole near the corners of the bags so air can escape easily while they're all still together (OK not all of them, but don't do this one at a time, do it right after you open the package of bags), this will make your life easier.

Do you have any problems with contents shifting around during flight? Or I guess this doesn't matter too much to you because you don't care about the order your bags are in? If that works for you, great, but that would bother my CDO so it's not for me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 11:45:04 am »
+1

If that works for you, great, but that would bother my CDO so it's not for me.

Intentionally got the acronym wrong so that it would be in alphabetical order?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:48:30 am »
+2

Intentionally got the acronym wrongcorrect so that it would be in alphabetical order?

FTFY  :P

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:49:00 am »
+12

LF - you don't have a problem with the millions of other snark posts and the meme thread and that stuff, but this? And then AHoppy apologized to you for making his post when there was actual content in his and just whining in yours? Come on, dude.

Yeah, you're 100% correct. I'm sorry, AHoppy!

When you posted your thread, my knee-jerk reaction was, "NOOOOOO!! Not here, too!" But I shouldn't have overreacted like that. It sucks to have the first response to a thread you worked so long on be a negative one. I sincerely apologize. Your storage solution looks great and the pictures are very demonstrative.

If I'd thought about it, my fears are unfounded anyway. Because this is a reasonable forum, even if every other thread became a storage solution thread, I'm guessing theory would be willing to split off a subforum for them.

Once again, sorry!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »
+3

No worries LFN :) One snarky post won't drive me away or anything :P

AdamH: I think that's what she did.  She blew up the Dominion logo to an 8.5*11 sheet of paper, then went all old school and gut some carbon paper to trace the pattern onto the box.  Then went over it with a woodburner.  A woodburner isn't really that expensive.  Just search on amazon and you should be able to find one.  But I would definitely practice a lot with it.  I think she took a piece of plywood and made the design on there first as a test.  I think you want to use a skinny, round tip.  You can use the sharper fine ones, but I have never had much luck with them because I push too hard or have it too hot or something and it digs into the wood.  Anyway, I would definitely do some practicing with it first.  I really like it and you're right, it will last forever (well, as long as the box does).  She wants to put the names of all the cards on the back of the box, which I think would be pretty cool.

For the index cards, I taped two together and had it hook under the cards to pull them out.  It works well enough, but it takes some fenagling to set up.

Yes part of storing the other ones separately is because they don't fit in the bag great, but also when they are different you can tell it's different when picking them out.  Also, I forgot to mention that the cards are fit in rather tightly.  In order for it to work you need to put the open end of the bag down so you can close the lid.  Even then sometimes you need to mess with it a bit to get it working right.  But since they are so tightly packed there's no shifting or anything.  The only thing that shifts around a bit are the second set of basic cards, but they don't spew all over the place or anything, so it's fine. 

Also, I know some people who do this who do have black market they just grab 3 random bags and if they buy the card they leave the bag out.  It doesn't quite work like a deck, but hey, it works. 

I made a custom box for all my Carcassonne games (I got the big box for Christmas, and the box is gigantic).  I could probably use the bead containers for those as well.  But that would require modifying the already awesome box I made :P  It's great having a woodshop in the basement...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »
+6

...If your name is Adam Hopkins, are you AdamH?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:23 pm »
+6

He's me from the future.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »
+1

I didn't think my schizophrenia was that bad.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »
+3

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 07:29:22 pm »
+5

I think I see a case edge to this one.

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 09:58:53 pm »
+1

As someone who doesn't usually read BGG and still has to come up with a storage solution... I like seeing storage solutions on this forum.
Two cents deposited!

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:50 pm »
+4

Intentionally got the acronym wrongcorrect so that it would be in alphabetical order?

FFTY  :P

FFTY

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 02:07:49 am »
+1

Isn't that awesome?  My girlfriend did that.  She bought the box for me (knowing it was the one I wanted because she knows people who have it) and she thought hey, this box is too boring, it looks like everyone else's box.  So she borrowed my woodburner and voila. I would like to add that this was pretty much the second thing she had woodburned and it turned out amazing.

She obviously designed the box for me.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 02:08:47 am »
+1

Seriously though, that's pretty sweet. I had hoped for a minute that this would be one of the "officially licensed" storage solutions.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:51 am »
+2

She obviously designed the box for me.
The reason she chose curse is she wanted to put a card on it that you would have in every game, and curse is the most sinister one, accurately capturing Dominion.

Seriously though, that's pretty sweet. I had hoped for a minute that this would be one of the "officially licensed" storage solutions.
Thanks!  The officially licensed one probably won't use the bag method though... Which is far superior :P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.