Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Parody cards  (Read 18131 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
Re: Parody cards
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 12:52:46 pm »

Something like this should definitely be added:

Mt. Doom: $12 - Victory
15VP
---
When you buy this you may trash any cards from in play or your hand. If you do not trash The One Ring and Gollum, do not gain this.

If you do not trash The One Ring and Gollum.

Gollum
Cost: 3
Action

Reveal your hand and the top 3 cards of your deck. If you reveal The One Ring, play it and put the other revealed cards in hand; otherwise, discard the revealed cards.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:08:46 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 01:26:10 pm »
+1

Something like this should definitely be added:

Mt. Doom: $12 - Victory
15VP
---
When you buy this you may trash any cards from in play or your hand. If you do not trash The One Ring and Gollum, do not gain this.

If you do not trash The One Ring and Gollum.

Gollum
Cost: 3
Action

Reveal your hand and the top 3 cards of your deck. If you reveal The One Ring, play it and put the other revealed cards in hand; otherwise, discard the revealed cards.

Don't you mean:

Golem
$4P Action

Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Action cards other than Golem Cards. Discard the other cards, then play the Action cards in either order.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »
+1

Don't you mean:

Golem
$4P Action

Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Action cards other than Golem Cards. Discard the other cards, then play the Action cards in either order.

......no.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2013, 04:15:10 pm »

I like these Curse-type mixed cards...

Ewok
Action-Attack-Curse
Cost: 4

+1 card
+1 action
+1 money
Discard a card.
Each other player chooses to either discard a card or gain a Curse card (i.e. any card in the supply with the Curse type) in hand.
When you trash this card, +1 VP.
When you buy this card, you may choose who gains it.

Worth -1 VP in deck.

Jar Jar Binks
Action-Attack-Curse
Cost: 7

+2 cards
+1 action
+2 money
Discard two cards.
Each other player chooses to either discard two cards or gain a Curse card (i.e. any card in the supply with the Curse type) in hand.
When you trash this card, +2 VP.
When you buy this card, you may choose who gains it (and the player to your left is allowed to punch you once in the face*).

Worth -2 VP in deck.
(* - Not canon!)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:22:43 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2013, 04:41:13 pm »

This one's not really a parody, but I used a picture of Annette the six-year-old mummy queen empress penguin...

--------------------------------------
Mummy
Duration

You may trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, you may trash a Curse from your hand.

While this card is in play, any other player who gains a treasure also gains a Curse.

---------------------------------------

(I could give this the Action-Attack-Duration type, but there aren't any cards like that, and I suspect it would be confusing or even inconsistent with some reaction cards.)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2013, 05:48:42 pm »

This one's not really a parody, but I used a picture of Annette the six-year-old mummy queen empress penguin...

Mummy
Duration

You may trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, you may trash a Curse from your hand.

While this card is in play, any other player who gains a treasure also gains a Curse.

(I could give this the Action-Attack-Duration type, but there aren't any cards like that, and I suspect it would be confusing or even inconsistent with some reaction cards.)

(Also, it needs to do something specific on the next turn of the person who plays it, or otherwise it won't actually remain in play according to the Duration rules.)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2013, 06:19:20 pm »

Mummy
Duration

(Also, it needs to do something specific on the next turn of the person who plays it, or otherwise it won't actually remain in play according to the Duration rules.)

Sounds sort of pointless, as far as rules go. I could make it do something stupid like discard itself at the start of your cleanup phase. I thought the rule to keep it in play was just to make it easier to remember and to balance how often you're capable of playing them. I didn't realize that the "does something for you during your turn" was a big deal, but there has never been a duration "attack" either.

I didn't see any remarks on Outpost about whether you keep it in play or not even if you play it during your Outpost turn... I would think that you would have to, but if it "does nothing", by the rule you state, it shouldn't stay out... unless "do something unless X, in which case it doesn't do anything" is still "doing something" even if X means that it does nothing... Head explode.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2013, 08:54:39 pm »

Also, maybe Mummy should discard itself if its Duration effect is triggered? If there were another card like this with the role of Curse and treasure reversed, then... well.

This would make it a sort of weak attack, but there are other levers that could be fiddled with. Example:

Cost 4
Action-Duration

When you play this card, you may trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, you may trash a Curse from your hand.

While this card is in play, if another player gains a treasure, that player also gains a Curse and you discard this card from play. If they do, discard this card.

If this card is in play at the start of your turn, return it to your hand.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 pm »

Also, maybe Mummy should discard itself if its Duration effect is triggered? If there were another card like this with the role of Curse and treasure reversed, then... well.

This would make it a sort of weak attack, but there are other levers that could be fiddled with. Example:

Cost 4
Action-Duration

When you play this card, you may trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, you may trash a Curse from your hand.

While this card is in play, if another player gains a treasure, that player also gains a Curse and you discard this card from play. If they do, discard this card.

This makes it somewhat political, "Maybe I shouldn't get a treasure just so so-and-so can get it."
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2013, 11:17:01 pm »

Mummy
Duration

Sounds sort of pointless, as far as rules go.

Maybe so, but that's what the rule is! A Duration is discarded from play during "the cleanup phase of the last turn in which it does something". And while-in-play effects don't count as "doing something"; this isn't explicitly stated in the rules, but is inferrable from the behavior of Lighthouse.

I could make it do something stupid like discard itself at the start of your cleanup phase.

That… might actually work, as a nice end-run around that rule. "Discard this on your next turn at the start of your cleanup phase." Does it tell you to do something on your next turn? Yes it does, and that seems sufficient for not discarding it from play on this turn.

I thought the rule to keep it in play was just to make it easier to remember and to balance how often you're capable of playing them.

That's what it's for, but the way the rule is written is this hinky thing that doesn't make Duration cards actually stay in play unless they've got something for you to do after the current cleanup phase.

I didn't see any remarks on Outpost about whether you keep it in play or not even if you play it during your Outpost turn... I would think that you would have to, but if it "does nothing", by the rule you state, it shouldn't stay out... unless "do something unless X, in which case it doesn't do anything" is still "doing something" even if X means that it does nothing... Head explode.

Outpost is kind of the oddball here, and the rule explanations don't really make sense to me, but I'm pretty sure you do leave it in play even if it isn't going to give you an extra turn, because somehow the card doesn't "find out" that it's not giving you an extra turn until too late.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2013, 11:54:48 pm »

Cost 4
Action-Duration

This makes it somewhat political, "Maybe I shouldn't get a treasure just so so-and-so can get it."

I sort of think it's dumb too, but a hypothetical loop situation would be worse.

EDIT: I suppose "This card can only cause each player to gain a Curse once each time it is in play" might work...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:29:43 am by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 01:28:16 am »

I thought the rule to keep it in play was just to make it easier to remember and to balance how often you're capable of playing them.

That's what it's for, but the way the rule is written is this hinky thing that doesn't make Duration cards actually stay in play unless they've got something for you to do after the current cleanup phase.

I guess I don't see the reason why the rule doesn't just say "the turn after you play it" instead. Either I'm missing something, or it's just that it doesn't make a difference with Seaside cards anyway.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:18:17 am by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 02:40:08 am »

I cross-posted Mummy to a new Halloween thread. It wasn't really "parody" enough for my tastes, it's a pretty classic and vanilla card, and it's not a parody of a Dominion card and/or movies/TV especially.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9673

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2013, 09:49:57 am »

I guess I don't see the reason why the rule doesn't just say "the turn after you play it" instead. Either I'm missing something, or it's just that it doesn't make a difference with Seaside cards anyway.

The only time it makes a difference with official Duration cards is that if you play a Tactician with no other cards in hand, it gets cleaned up this turn. (Well, also a Haven with no other cards in hand, deck, or discard pile, but that… is fairly rare.) So, it's nice not to have to leave your Tactician in play if it's not going to be doing anything. I think the only reason for the rule is so Donald X could leave himself the possibility of writing Duration cards that last more than two turns, though he never did.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2013, 12:02:11 pm »

Outpost is kind of the oddball here, and the rule explanations don't really make sense to me, but I'm pretty sure you do leave it in play even if it isn't going to give you an extra turn, because somehow the card doesn't "find out" that it's not giving you an extra turn until too late.

Outpost needs to stay out long enough to tell you to only draw 3 cards, whether you're taking an extra turn or not, and you draw cards after discarding cards from play. So you can't discard it the turn you played it, and the next time the game tells you to discard cards from play is the next turn you take.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2013, 12:11:08 pm »

Outpost needs to stay out long enough to tell you to only draw 3 cards, whether you're taking an extra turn or not, and you draw cards after discarding cards from play. So you can't discard it the turn you played it, and the next time the game tells you to discard cards from play is the next turn you take.

Sure, but this is strictly speaking inconsistent with the way the rules describe Duration cards as working.

Nik

• Baron
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »
+1

Here's a funny parody card (totally not mine, though):

Chuck Norris. $0
+5 Actions.
Chuck Norris doesn't need an Action to be played. During your Buy phase, all cards cost $0 If anybody question Chuck Norris' abilities, they automatically lose the game. Do not discard Chuck Norris during your clean-up phase.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.