Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Start A Conversation!  (Read 56342 times)

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
Re: Start A Conversation!
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2013, 12:04:01 pm »

Scribblenauts utterly blew my mind when I first played it.  But it got rather tedious once I'd figured out sufficiently powerful entities to summon.
This, kinda. I liked the first 2 better, the 3rd is too easy.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2013, 12:41:51 pm »
+1

Dota 2 is indeed awesome, and everything i need.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2013, 02:49:34 pm »

Scribblenauts utterly blew my mind when I first played it.  But it got rather tedious once I'd figured out sufficiently powerful entities to summon.

Well, I remember my brother saying there was a mode where you had to find three different ways to solve a puzzle.  That seemed pretty interesting.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2013, 03:15:37 pm »

Well, I remember my brother saying there was a mode where you had to find three different ways to solve a puzzle.  That seemed pretty interesting.
Yeah, in Super Scribblenauts there is a Gold Crown mode, where you have to beat it 3 times without repeating words.

BoxOfDOG

• Coppersmith
  • "I refuse, officer, to get out of the box."
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2013, 04:31:40 pm »

Day 4!
~Awkward Conversations~

Oh gosh.. Had several today.
It's especially that way when you are talking about one thing, and the other person trails off into another, and you think you're talking about what they are.. And.. Gah.
NMIII: VT (IDK) NMIV: VT (L) RMM9: Nathan Drake (D) RMM11: Pied Piper (Lightning Rod) (W)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:19 pm »

I'm going back in time!

I liked the premise of Scribblenauts and I liked the first one enough that I got the second one.  But then I realized I could just always make "Flying _______" which made many tasks trivial.  Haven't really paid attention to any sequels after that.

I'm super excited for Pokemon X/Y.  I plan to get X.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2013, 10:12:33 pm »
+3

Tomorrow's discussion: time travel.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »
+5

Tomorrow's discussion: time travel.

Aren't we going to discuss that last year?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2013, 01:32:10 am »
+1

I have been re-playing Golden Sun recently. It's a terrific RPG for the GBA, and while I'm not as versed in video games as a lot of members here, I've loved the GS games for years now. I am really hoping they'll make another sequel, and hoping against hope that they'll make a GS character playable in the new Super Smash Bros game coming next year. There's so much potential there!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 06:34:01 am »
+1

I'm going back in time!

I liked the premise of Scribblenauts and I liked the first one enough that I got the second one.  But then I realized I could just always make "Flying _______" which made many tasks trivial.  Haven't really paid attention to any sequels after that.

I'm super excited for Pokemon X/Y.  I plan to get X.

Unmasked now has random generating puzzles, and also doesn't reward you if you repeat words and use certain "banned" ones.
And it has 130 different Green Lanterns!

I have been re-playing Golden Sun recently. It's a terrific RPG for the GBA, and while I'm not as versed in video games as a lot of members here, I've loved the GS games for years now. I am really hoping they'll make another sequel, and hoping against hope that they'll make a GS character playable in the new Super Smash Bros game coming next year. There's so much potential there!

Golden Sun and Shining Force - those two are incredibly awesome old-school RPGs.
If you like those you might also like a lesser known title Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis. It's my favourite game of the kind, it's more combat oriented than the two (and combat is more complex and very tactical), and less world exploration, but in style, at least to me, it is reminiscent of the two games and it also kicks ass.

Ontopic:
I think the worst is one you say something like 3 times because you think people didn't hear you, and than you realized they did but just choose to ignore you first 2 times :(

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2013, 10:18:32 am »

Golden Sun and Shining Force - those two are incredibly awesome old-school RPGs.
If you like those you might also like a lesser known title Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis. It's my favourite game of the kind, it's more combat oriented than the two (and combat is more complex and very tactical), and less world exploration, but in style, at least to me, it is reminiscent of the two games and it also kicks ass.

So much yes.  I have replayed Shining Force 2 about once a year for the past 15 or 20 years.  And speaking of the Ogre Saga, I began replaying Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen recently, and I found a dream crown on stage 2 :D
Well you *do* need a signature...

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2013, 12:06:53 pm »

So much yes.  I have replayed Shining Force 2 about once a year for the past 15 or 20 years.  And speaking of the Ogre Saga, I began replaying Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen recently, and I found a dream crown on stage 2 :D

I LOVE OGRE BATTLE.  I have replayed that game several times in recent years, each time looking for a different ending.  I can't believe you found a crown on stage 2!  Just one Princess totally reshapes the game so much, it's nuts.  Way to go!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »
+3

Day 4!
~Awkward Conversations~

It's especially that way when you are talking about one thing, and the other person trails off into another
So, you mean like today's conversation in this thread?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BoxOfDOG

• Coppersmith
  • "I refuse, officer, to get out of the box."
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2013, 04:21:47 pm »

Alright.. It was a dumb subject. Whatever.
By request of Sudgy.

Day 5!
~Time Travel~

Tomorrow I would be told to post this yesterday.
*queue Doctor Who music*
NMIII: VT (IDK) NMIV: VT (L) RMM9: Nathan Drake (D) RMM11: Pied Piper (Lightning Rod) (W)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »

Day 4!
~Awkward Conversations~

It's especially that way when you are talking about one thing, and the other person trails off into another
So, you mean like today's conversation in this thread?
Zing!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
+1

Alright.. It was a dumb subject. Whatever.
By request of Sudgy.

Day 5!
~Time Travel~

Tomorrow I would be told to post this yesterday.
*queue Doctor Who music*

"Man, are you hungry? I haven't eaten since later this afternoon."

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2013, 08:57:16 pm »
+2

We should get this thread going 88 miles pet hour so we can send it back to the future.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
+6

So I've developed this interesting time travel phenomenon, where I decide I need to do something (e.g. work) and magically the idea disappears into next week. Often times I'm able to repeat the experiment, even.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2013, 09:52:04 am »
+1

I'd wager that 99% of time travel movies are just so flawed that you have to shrug and accept the faulty premise. Oh gee, John Connor sent his father back in time to impregnate his mother, only that couldn't have happened since John Connor was never born. It's dumb, but it's time travel, so you accept it.

But there are some stories that work really hard to make time travel not as fragile. I recall Millennium and Primer as being fairly solid (though I haven't seen the former in a long time so please don't shatter my illusion if I forgot something).

And then there are the moments where you say, "Screw it; time travel! In your faces, bitches!" Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Doctor Who easily fall in this category. They were already absurd to begin with, so they just break the eggs and make an awesome omelet. Although, Doctor Who does have some rules in place, but their enforceability is highly reliant on how the plot can develop.

Personally, I don't think time travel exists. Well, outside of the usual +1 sec/sec rate of travel. It's an interesting theory, and it makes good for fun stories, but I suspect that this is an immutable fact. Then again, there were people who claimed that reaching the moon was impossible, so you know…
A man has no signature

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2013, 10:00:00 am »

I'd wager that 99% of time travel movies are just so flawed that you have to shrug and accept the faulty premise. Oh gee, John Connor sent his father back in time to impregnate his mother, only that couldn't have happened since John Connor was never born. It's dumb, but it's time travel, so you accept it.

But there are some stories that work really hard to make time travel not as fragile. I recall Millennium and Primer as being fairly solid (though I haven't seen the former in a long time so please don't shatter my illusion if I forgot something).

And then there are the moments where you say, "Screw it; time travel! In your faces, bitches!" Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Doctor Who easily fall in this category. They were already absurd to begin with, so they just break the eggs and make an awesome omelet. Although, Doctor Who does have some rules in place, but their enforceability is highly reliant on how the plot can develop.

Personally, I don't think time travel exists. Well, outside of the usual +1 sec/sec rate of travel. It's an interesting theory, and it makes good for fun stories, but I suspect that this is an immutable fact. Then again, there were people who claimed that reaching the moon was impossible, so you know…
Time travel is actually all relative.  We all experience time at roughly the same speed, but the faster you are moving, the slower time takes for you relative to a stationary observer.  So when I'm driving my deLorean at 88mph I may not be going back to the future, but I am aging slower than the janitor inside JCPenny.  So you could say I have traveled into the future, just at a faster rate than the janitor.  Of course, this matters more when talking about intergalactic space flight...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:03 am »

Well, thanks to (special?) relativity we know we can bend that number upwards by arbitrary amounts, limited only by our capacity to accelerate. But being able to go forwards in time at faster rates is hugely different to going backwards.

PPE: Effectively ninja'd by AHoppy (who posted exactly on the hour, congrats)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 10:05:37 am »

Well, thanks to (special?) relativity we know we can bend that number upwards by arbitrary amounts, limited only by our capacity to accelerate. But being able to go forwards in time at faster rates is hugely different to going backwards.

:D I used time travel to do it.
And yeah, pretty sure it is special relativity.  Time travel into the past is impossible though because you can't observe events that are linked causally not in the order that they happen.  So if I drop a pen on the floor, it is impossible to see the pen hit the floor before I drop it because the two events are causally linked.  However, given the right circumstances, 2 lights that blink at different times could be observed as blinking in the reverse order if the interval in which they blink is shorter than the time it would take light to travel from one light to the other. 

(I took a class on this stuff last year, it was pretty interesting)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:59 am »

By the way, I just found an extension for chrome from this.  It's pretty amazing.  It tells you what a measurement is equivalent to in a webpage so you can compare it to something you understand.   Like in my post, it added [≈ Typical peak speed of a local service train, or intercity on lower standard tracks] after 88mph and also said ≈ Land speed record for a human powered vehicle. when you moused over it.  It's pretty great.  I figured someone here would appreciate it...

Edit: epic linkfail

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:15:29 am by AHoppy »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2013, 10:14:28 am »
+2

I time travel every day at school, and so do most of the students. If I leave the student council room at 17:00, when I arrive at the cafeteria, it's only 16:55 there. If I want to travel to the future, I can go to the music lounge instead, where it's already 17:03. You have to be careful, though; if you accidentally take a look at your wristwatch or cell phone in the cafeteria or the music lounge, you might end up being in two different times at a time, which is very bizarre.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2013, 10:15:57 am »

:D I used time travel to do it.
And yeah, pretty sure it is special relativity.  Time travel into the past is impossible though because you can't observe events that are linked causally not in the order that they happen.  So if I drop a pen on the floor, it is impossible to see the pen hit the floor before I drop it because the two events are causally linked.  However, given the right circumstances, 2 lights that blink at different times could be observed as blinking in the reverse order if the interval in which they blink is shorter than the time it would take light to travel from one light to the other. 

(I took a class on this stuff last year, it was pretty interesting)

I think it's also possible to trick your brain into perceiving things out of causal order.  There was an experiment where the subject clicked a button and a light flashed on a screen.  There was a delay built into the light (I think very small), and your brain builds in this expected delay.  Then when they take the delay away, the subject perceives the light as blinking before he presses the button, because your brain assumes the delay should still be there.  Or something to that effect. 

The explanation is that your senses don't just automatically relay everything to your conscious brain.  There is a process of collecting the information and creating a "story" from the information that your consciousness can make sense of.  This process takes a fraction of a second, but the result is that your mind has a bit of time to collect things in order to have a story that makes sense, and sometimes that story isn't actually correct.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.