Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: engine or big money?  (Read 1706 times)

love

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
engine or big money?
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:51:13 am »

Hi,

I have questions! Imagine a board consisting of: Village, Smithy, Sea Hag and 7 other cards with little impact on anything (7 times Chancellor).
A.1) What is the right opening here?
   2) Is it better to go for an engine or for big money?

B. Now kick out one Chancellor and add Watchtower.
What are the answers for 1) and 2) now?

C. Replace Watchtower with Workshop.
What are the answers for 1) and 2) now?

Thank you so much:)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: engine or big money?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »

Start with sea hag. It usually rules out any simple village based engines. More complex strategies with trashing can still work.

All the other kingdom cards have an impact though and shouldn't be discounted. This is particularly true once the curses run out and  you can buy new terminals knowing there is no harm if they draw with a sea hag. If you really want to try out single card strategies you can download the simulator and find out for yourself http://dominionsimulator.wordpress.com/.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:12:49 pm »
+1

Sea Hag is unignorable in any strategy. (And actually, Chancellor isn't irrelevant as it helps you play your Sea Hag faster, and if you flip your deck, you won't automatically get the Curse in your next hand. I'll assume you don't want any strategies which require the other 7 cards to actually be Chancellor.)

A: Even in the absence of cursing attacks, a Village/Smithy engine alone doesn't beat BM/Smithy. Adding Curses you can't trash isn't going to help, so it's clear you have to play BM, with a Sea Hag/Silver (or Sea Hag/-) opening.

B: Watchtower can defend against Sea Hag, but not 100%, and you can't trash the Curses once they're in your deck. Probably Sea Hag/Silver or Sea Hag/Watchtower are both considerable openings, but you still have to play BM, for the same reasons.

C: Workshop isn't enough of an engine enabler, and is actually even less relevant than Chancellor, so this is the same as A.

WanderingWinder played a game against Stef with a five-card kingdom - Village, Smithy, Spy, Develop, and Market. Stef just about won, but all of these components are important, and the engine would never have worked without Spy's attack and filtering, Develop's trashing and gaining, and Market's +buy. Generally, if an engine has neither +buy (or another way of gaining multiple Victory cards per turn), nor an attack to play every turn, it will lose to BM.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:14:21 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:23:10 pm »

Sea Hag is unignorable in any strategy.

DoubleJack?

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 12:24:12 pm »
+3

Sea Hag is unignorable in any strategy.
Generally, if an engine has neither +buy (or another way of gaining multiple Victory cards per turn), nor an attack to play every turn, it will lose to BM.

Both these generalisations are too - well - generalised. Especially the first one (unless you define unignorable as "I think about it and decide not to buy/gain it").

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »
+1

DoubleJack?
JOAT is not on the board?

Both these generalisations are too - well - generalised. Especially the first one (unless you define unignorable as "I think about it and decide not to buy/gain it").
I think you are both misunderstanding me. On this board, with only Sea Hag, Village and Smithy, any strategy which doesn't involve buying and playing Sea Hag is going to lose badly.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:55:34 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.