Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Um... how do people get such high Goko ratings?  (Read 13042 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Um... how do people get such high Goko ratings?
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:24:37 pm »

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130912/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1379013631048.txt

My opponent (no disrespect to him) had over a 5K rating on Goko, so I was expecting some reasonable competition.  I do a simple Remake-BM, getting 4 Provinces in 15 turns, while my opponent gets two Bureaucrats and attempts to empty the City pile.  How do you make it to such a high rating without realizing the power of trashing?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: Um... how do people get such high Goko ratings?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:27:00 pm »

It's a mystery. Most 5000-level players don't know about the Hermit/Market Square megaturn. They also open with Pirate Ship in response to your Chapel.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »
+2

It's a mystery. Most 5000-level players don't know about the Hermit/Market Square megaturn. They also open with Pirate Ship in response to your Chapel.
I wouldn't know how to execute hermit/market square and I'm well over 6k. Reading long articles is like tedious work!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »
+5

Goko ratings are essentially like this:

<5000: New to Dominion.
5000 - 6000: ? ? ?
>6000: Good.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:33:24 pm »
+5

I wouldn't know how to execute hermit/market square and I'm well over 6k. Reading long articles is like tedious work!

I can do Hermit/Scheme!  That makes me feel successful, especially since it finally works right on Goko.

I think you mean:

<5000: Doesn't play on Goko for months at a time.
>6000: Has no social life.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:34:51 pm »
+6

I'd put the good tier more at 5500+

I can't stay above 6000 ;_;
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 03:36:14 pm »

Eevee! It's not that hard, just open Hermit/Hermit, gain lots of Hermits and Market Squares, save at least one Estate or non-Treasure trashable card, and slowly turn Hermits into Madmen such that you have X number of Hermits and X+3 number of Madmen. 6 Madmen and 3 Hermits is ideal, but 5 Madmen and 2 Hermits is also fine.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 03:38:12 pm »

I don't agree! The rating system is very swingy, and you don't have to win very many games to get in the 6000 range. You just have to win a lot of the games you do play.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 03:44:53 pm »
+1

Wrong! I am having a devil of a time staying above 5000, but Isotropish says I'm level 24 and I think I was level 22 when iso went down. Now, I know for the elite players here a level 23ish person is not competition, but I'd hardly call them "new to Dominion"!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »

I don't agree! The rating system is very swingy, and you don't have to win very many games to get in the 6000 range. You just have to win a lot of the games you do play.

But you have to play frequently to maintain that rating.  Go a few weeks without a match, and your rating will plummet.
Well you *do* need a signature...

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:55:11 pm »

But you have to play frequently to maintain that rating.  Go a few weeks without a match, and your rating will plummet.

Classes started back up again, so I didn't play for a week or two and my rating dropped from ~6k to ~5k
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 03:56:38 pm »

Well, sure, yes. But Isotropic was like that, too. What I mean is that you don't have to play Goko for like 24 hrs straight to get mega leveled up. You just have to play people and not lose for a while.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:01:21 pm »
+19

I sometimes wonder that too. Like yesterday, when I opened Baron with Hovel in hand.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
+1

I sometimes wonder that too. Like yesterday, when I opened Baron with Hovel in hand.
It's an expert play and recognizing the situations that call for it is vital for improving in dominion.
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130828/log.5158def5e4b0ee7f08a599e4.1377707773476.txt

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »
+2

Well, sure, yes. But Isotropic was like that, too. What I mean is that you don't have to play Goko for like 24 hrs straight to get mega leveled up. You just have to play people and not lose for a while.

Goko's plummet is a lot larger than Iso's was, though.  On Goko you can drop down 1000 points after 10 days, whereas that time period would only drop you maybe 3 or 4 levels on Iso.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 04:19:16 pm »

It's an expert play and recognizing the situations that call for it is vital for improving in dominion.
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130828/log.5158def5e4b0ee7f08a599e4.1377707773476.txt

I just want to check to learn from the expert level play... Baron was the right play here because it was the only source of +Buy, Highway was on the board, and you want to get the Estates into your deck early by playing Baron for its gain.  Right?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

Eevee! It's not that hard, just open Hermit/Hermit, gain lots of Hermits and Market Squares, save at least one Estate or non-Treasure trashable card, and slowly turn Hermits into Madmen such that you have X number of Hermits and X+3 number of Madmen. 6 Madmen and 3 Hermits is ideal, but 5 Madmen and 2 Hermits is also fine.
You'd like to keep as many Estates as you will have Hermits in the megaturn - that way when you play Hermit on the megaturn, you can gain additional Market Squares.

Wandering Winder posted a hilarious video in which he failed to execute this combo...
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 04:28:36 pm »

Goko's plummet is a lot larger than Iso's was, though.  On Goko you can drop down 1000 points after 10 days, whereas that time period would only drop you maybe 3 or 4 levels on Iso.

I never go long stretches without playing, but I only play a few games here and there. I guess Goko rewards my kind of playing schedule.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »

I have a hard time breaking 4.5k and I've been playing for about 2 years... It's mostly not playing a great volume of games, long breaks in between games and not paying nearly as much attention when playing online :P

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 05:00:17 pm »
+6

I never go long stretches without playing, but I only play a few games here and there. I guess Goko rewards my kind of playing schedule.

At some point they mentioned that the longer you stayed away, the faster your rating would drop.  Because, I guess, Dominion is an ever-evolving game like Starcraft, with balance changes every week that change things up.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »

I played a game last week, then another today... and my ratings already dropped by 1000 =.=
Goko ratings are just terrible.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 06:12:08 pm »
+6

I just want to check to learn from the expert level play... Baron was the right play here because it was the only source of +Buy, Highway was on the board, and you want to get the Estates into your deck early by playing Baron for its gain.  Right?
Or I didn't realize it was a shelters game. Take your pick!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 06:25:15 pm »
+2

Expert Dominion play involves turning an "oops" into an "I win!"

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 06:29:59 pm »

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130912/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1379013631048.txt

My opponent (no disrespect to him) had over a 5K rating on Goko, so I was expecting some reasonable competition.  I do a simple Remake-BM, getting 4 Provinces in 15 turns, while my opponent gets two Bureaucrats and attempts to empty the City pile.  How do you make it to such a high rating without realizing the power of trashing?

Answer: Play bots.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 06:52:09 pm »

lol
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 22 queries.