Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #3: Dark Ages  (Read 100576 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #3: Dark Ages
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »
+2

Supernova
Wormhole
Time Loop

...What, space is dark, right?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »

Though neither a theme nor a sub-theme, Dark Ages emphasizes combos between specific cards. Expect me to be more forgiving to cards which only effective for a subset of boards

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:36 am »

Does the 150-card restriction for the Treasure Chest set mean that a Hermit/Madman or Urchin/Mercenary type of card (one that upgrades itself into another card and uses 20 total cards) will not be allowed for this submission?

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 10:53:23 am »

Cross-posting this here.

Come to think of it, I am a bit worried that someone will make a pile like Knights which would be a real strain on the ballot space-wise, particularly if several people submit such ideas.

Due to the ridiculous amount of work that would be for me, I won't allow it. I will allow a maximum number of two cards for any given submission. Either a stack of Kingdom cards with two different cards in it or a Kingdom card and a supplementary card (which can have no more than 5 copies, maybe less depending on how many Victory cards we have).

Please do not read this as a challenge! I prefer single-card submissions.

While this should apply for all contests, it is somewhat more relevant for Dark Ages.

From literally the last page. The upgraded card can have at most 5 copies, which isn't terribly restrictive.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »

I actually think limiting to 5 copies is pretty restrictive, but anyways the bigger problem I see is that it would preclude victory cards, which need 12 slots rather than 10.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:07 pm »

Sure. I guess I was thinking more of Mercenary than Madman when I wrote that, and not at all about novel ideas. It's nothing to worry about in the end, though. When LF dies of overwork wraps up a successful contest, all the people who wanted to turn the small expansion into a big one will come out of the woodwork. I'm guessing we'll get dedicated contests for all these sorts of things, in addition to the fabled Potion-cost Duration card.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:07:22 pm by Nic »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »
+5

Cross-posted: One thing I'd like to note is about themedness. I think rather than trying to shoehorn into the noted themes, just make the card feel like it belongs in the expansion. Someone made a comment that they didn't vote for one of the prosperity cards because it only had the two minor themes. Well, this may be more than enough for me, but the point is, it used VP tokens, and to my mind, any card using VP tokens is Prosperity-feeling, even if that was only originally on three cards. Likewise, any duration card will feel seaside, most choice cards are going to feel intrigue, on-gain or on-buy stuff will feel Hinterlands; of course, whether these effects feel like they fit on the card or have been tacked on is another important issue, but I don't think some strict 'it isn't on the list' thing makes for a fun game. Just my two cents.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 02:56:17 pm »

Cross-posted: One thing I'd like to note is about themedness. I think rather than trying to shoehorn into the noted themes, just make the card feel like it belongs in the expansion. Someone made a comment that they didn't vote for one of the prosperity cards because it only had the two minor themes. Well, this may be more than enough for me, but the point is, it used VP tokens, and to my mind, any card using VP tokens is Prosperity-feeling, even if that was only originally on three cards. Likewise, any duration card will feel seaside, most choice cards are going to feel intrigue, on-gain or on-buy stuff will feel Hinterlands; of course, whether these effects feel like they fit on the card or have been tacked on is another important issue, but I don't think some strict 'it isn't on the list' thing makes for a fun game. Just my two cents.

Agreed. When making cards, the first thing I'd think about is, "How will this work with other cards in the expansion?" Sorry I didn't really emphasize that.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:08 pm »

In the bold predictions thread, someone predicted that people would submit card concepts that Donald X. had already tested and found not to work, as documented in the Secret Histories.  It may be a good idea to read up on the Secret Histories to keep yourself from falling into that trap.  While reading all of them might be too time consuming, it might be good to at least read one for each contest.

Here is a link to Dark Ages Secret History.

Here's a big one to consider:

- A few cards tried to provide other uses for the Ruins pile. One was "+1 Card +1 Action, play the top Ruins, put it on the bottom." It was cute but there's a tracking issue. I did Ironmonger instead. Another card played the top four Ruins. It gave you +$3 instead if the Ruins ran out, because what fun is that.

So be careful if you do something like this.

Oh, also, two more card name suggestion -- Mourners and Coroner.  I wanted to save Coroner for the second DA contest, but I think the card I have in mind may be too similar to BoM to work.  I have some other crazy ideas anyway. ;)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:27 pm »
+4

Oh, also, two more card name suggestion -- Mourners and Coroner.

I believe the Squire was trashed by the Steward in the Laboratory!
Well you *do* need a signature...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:12 pm »
+1

The Squire, on his death, turned into a witch to curse the Steward for the rest of his life...

But, the Steward just threw the curses away with the other useless junk.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 10:50:46 pm »

The Squire, on his death, turned into a witch to curse the Steward for the rest of his life...

But, the Steward just threw the curses away with the other useless junk.

This reminds me of a few other card names that might be fun: Ghost and Poltergeist. Maybe they're too "fantasy", but they could be fun.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 11:12:28 pm »
+4

Name Suggestions:
House
Mill
Farm
Lumber Camp
Mining Camp
Dock
Barracks
Outpost
Palisade Wall
Villager
Fishing Ship
Militia
Loom
Town Center
Scout Cavalry

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 11:26:41 pm »

I think Ghost and Poltergeist could be OK, as would Phantom, Spectre, or Apparition or variations thereof.  There are Witches and Familiars, after all.

Ooh, speaking of Witches, Pyre and Bonfire are good card names too. 

Unrelated, Shepherd and Spinner also work, I think.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 11:29:34 pm »

Bonfire
Reading Wheel of Time, I read this as Balefire.

Balefire
Trash a card from your hand. Everything it did last turn is reversed.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:19 pm »
+1

In the bold predictions thread, someone predicted that people would submit card concepts that Donald X. had already tested and found not to work, as documented in the Secret Histories.  It may be a good idea to read up on the Secret Histories to keep yourself from falling into that trap.  While reading all of them might be too time consuming, it might be good to at least read one for each contest.

Here is a link to Dark Ages Secret History.

Here's a big one to consider:

- A few cards tried to provide other uses for the Ruins pile. One was "+1 Card +1 Action, play the top Ruins, put it on the bottom." It was cute but there's a tracking issue. I did Ironmonger instead. Another card played the top four Ruins. It gave you +$3 instead if the Ruins ran out, because what fun is that.

So be careful if you do something like this.

There was another that played the top 4 ruins. Not sure what the problem with that one was.

Another benefit of reading the secret histories is that you learn of the different ways that Donald X. was able to simplify cards where possible. For example, there was an action card that was put back into your hand when you played it. It became Diadem. Another gave you +1 coin whenever you played another card or something. It became Horn of Plenty. I'm really happy none of those cards with vanilla bonus multiplier/swapper mechanics made it into a set.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 12:33:13 am »

Another benefit of reading the secret histories is that you learn of the different ways that Donald X. was able to simplify cards where possible. For example, there was an action card that was put back into your hand when you played it. It became Diadem. Another gave you +1 coin whenever you played another card or something. It became Horn of Plenty. I'm really happy none of those cards with vanilla bonus multiplier/swapper mechanics made it into a set.
I do love those stories. Or the one where "Dominion 2" became Kingdom Builder. Donald seems to have a knack for turning obvious-but-bad ideas into interesting-and-good products in such a way that you have to know the connection to realise the two are related.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 03:38:57 pm »
+1

I do love those stories. Or the one where "Dominion 2" became Kingdom Builder. Donald seems to have a knack for turning obvious-but-bad ideas into interesting-and-good products in such a way that you have to know the connection to realise the two are related.

Quiz: Which card is (basically) a Treasure-Duration, that is, a Treasure that stays in play until you buy a Victory card?

Solution:    Treasury 

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »

WanderingWinder : and what about Lumberjack, Miner (forgot how (s)he's called in the game) and Builder ?
Asper : it could have fit well in Prosperity, but it looks a lot like a Duration card. So it's the 9th Duration card to me.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »

Name Suggestions:
House
Mill
Farm
Lumber Camp
Mining Camp
Dock
Barracks
Outpost
Palisade Wall
Villager
Fishing Ship
Militia
Loom
Town Center
Scout Cavalry
Age of Empires reference!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 08:53:34 pm »
+1

WanderingWinder : and what about Lumberjack, Miner (forgot how (s)he's called in the game) and Builder ?
Those are all villagers.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 06:03:37 pm »

Currently I have four different ideas for a DA card, any of which I could see people either loving or hating.  Is there anyone who would be willing to help me decide on which to submit (by PM)?

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »
+1

I'd be willing to for anyone, but my response might take a day or so, and I am by no means an expert.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »

I'd be willing to for anyone, but my response might take a day or so, and I am by no means an expert.
Well, given your success in the Hinterlands contest, you're probably more of an expert than me.  :)

I'll PM you.  I mostly just need someone to tell me which of my ideas are too crazy and which (if any) are okay.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 06:19:54 pm »

Well, given your success in the Hinterlands contest, you're probably more of an expert than me.  :)

I'll PM you.  I mostly just need someone to tell me which of my ideas are too crazy and which (if any) are okay.
I'm open too.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.