Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #3: Dark Ages  (Read 100996 times)

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #3: Dark Ages
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 06:28:48 pm »

I also am totally willing to trade feedback on someone else card for feedback on my own =)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:08 pm »

I'd be willing to for anyone, but my response might take a day or so, and I am by no means an expert.
Well, given your success in the Hinterlands contest, you're probably more of an expert than me.  :)

I'll PM you.  I mostly just need someone to tell me which of my ideas are too crazy and which (if any) are okay.
I'm open too.
I also am totally willing to trade feedback on someone else card for feedback on my own =)
Thanks.  I may or may not PM one of you (or both of you) as well, maybe depending on jamespotter's feedback.

Also, I'm willing to give anyone else feedback too, just shoot me a PM.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »

I'll repeat that I'm always open to giving feedback as well.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2013, 08:46:05 pm »

*Eagerly awaits ballot*

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »
+4

*Eagerly awaits ballot*

Just a reminder: I extended the deadline until next Monday.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »

So now that the first Hinterlands challenge is over, how is Dark Ages working out for everyone? I had my card finalized sometime last week. I can't find anything to change about it. I just wish it was actually a Dark Ages card.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 09:27:46 pm »

I have a somewhat cute but also very boring idea, which I actually have a feeling might be submitted by someone else anyway. But nothing beyond that.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

*Eagerly awaits ballot*

Aw, ok.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2013, 10:35:10 pm »

*Eagerly awaits ballot*

Aw, ok.
Hey you, go post in modern community!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2013, 07:40:21 am »

I probably won't participate. All my card ideas are either taken, bad, or not allowed :(

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 05:39:40 pm »
+8

Guys, I'm making a small adjustment to the contest: I'm allowing entries of Treasure cards even though we already have one in the set. As I said elsewhere, the goal here isn't really to make this set's cards work with each other. Rather they should work in their "native" set. That being the case, it doesn't make much sense to put a limit on how many Treasure cards this set has. I may still eventually lock out Victory card submissions due to the 150 card limit, though.

If you have a Treasure card you'd like to submit for this contest (or if you already submitted one but then read the rule and submitted a different card instead), please PM me before Monday morning with your new submission. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:50:09 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
+13

On a totally unrelated note, I now reserve the right to enter my own cards into these contests and then disqualify them if they win. Really, this contest is a great way for me to get feedback on cards I want to use for my own set, since lots more people comment on these contest cards. Think of it as a way to pay me back for hosting this contest. ;D

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2013, 07:25:28 pm »

You should put up the ballot now.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2013, 07:35:37 pm »
+4

You should put up the ballot now.
But there's still several hours left. I haven't submitted yet. Heck, I haven't even picked which of the last few I've narrowed down to that I *want* to submit yet.

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59:03 am »
+4

On a totally unrelated note, I now reserve the right to enter my own cards into these contests and then disqualify them if they win. Really, this contest is a great way for me to get feedback on cards I want to use for my own set, since lots more people comment on these contest cards. Think of it as a way to pay me back for hosting this contest. ;D

Why disqualify them - doesn't really seem necessary to me :)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 10:05:35 am »
+2

Because he also tallies the votes.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 11:04:51 am »
+3

Because he also tallies the votes.

Wow, that is a really good reason, but not the one I had in mind. I would never think of mucking with the votes, so it didn't even occur to me that it might look bad if my cards won. If I were going to muck with the votes, I would be doing it to make sure the submissions I thought were best won. But I haven't, and won't.

The real reason is that I want to include the specific cards I'm talking about in my own expansion. Because of the way I play Dominion (mixing two sets together at a time), it's anathema to me to have a card exist in more than one set. I still keep my real-life cards in boxes sorted by expansion. A place for every card and every card in its place.

Please don't think of this as a "my cards are too good for this contest" thing, because that's definitely not the case. If I were to think of, say, a really awesome Duration card, I would have totally submitted it to a Seaside contest and not disqualified it if it won. Now that Polk has made his point about conflicts of interest, I'd think twice about doing that.

Anyway, just trying to be honest here. Hope you guys don't think any less of me. The Dark Ages ballot should be up soon-ish!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 11:47:39 am »
+1

And the ballot is up! A lot of cool cards this time around. If I missed your card or got it wrong, PM me ASAP!

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2013, 12:42:32 pm »
+2

Soldier
Types: Action – Attack
+1 Card. +1 Action. Each player trashes a Copper card from his hand (or reveals a hand without Copper). You may trash this. If you do, gain a Mercenary from the Mercenary pile if there are 4 or more Treasues in the trash; or gain a Madman from the Madman pile if there are 2 or more Soldiers in the trash.

Clarification: If there are 4 Treasures and 2 Soldiers in the trash, you choose whether to gain a Mercenary or a Madman.
What are the costs of this card?

The cards I like:

Tribal Man
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Gain a Spoils. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card. Choose one: Put the card into your hand; or play the Action, trash it, and gain a card costing less than it.

When you trash this, gain an Action card costing at most $5 that is not a Tribal Man.
Nice idea of searching for action cards.

Brick
Types: Treasure
Worth $1. When you play this, trash a card you have in play. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

When you trash this, gain a Copper, putting it into your hand.
I like the idea of trashing from play. This can lead to crazy combos, but I think this card is "normal" enough.

Necromancy
Choose one: Gain an Action or Treasure card from the trash, putting it into your hand. Play it immediately. At the end of the turn, trash that card; or each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest.

When you gain this, you may trash a card costing up to $6 from the Supply if there is not a copy of it in the trash.
A cool way of recycling the trash, without stealing all cards of it.

Incendiarist
Types: Action – Attack – Looter
You may trash a card from your hand. If it is an… Action card, each other player gains a Ruins; Treasure card, gain a Spoils; Victory card, each other player gains a Curse.
You can choose how to attack...Thumbs up. I like those cards like Tribute or Ironmonger.

Robber Baron
Cost: $4
You may discard a Ruins. If you do, +$3 and each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. Otherwise, gain a Ruins.

When you gain this, gain 2 Ruins.
Cool version of Death Cart.

Heretic
Types: Action – Reaction
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: +1 Card per $ it costs; or +$ equal to its cost.

When one of your cards is trashed, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, put the trashed card into your hand.
A better and cooler version of Salvager with a sort of Fortress-Reaction.

Stronghold
Cost: $6
Worth 1 VP for every 2 Spoils in your deck (rounded down).

When you gain this, gain 3 Spoils.
Cool! Now you have to think, if you want to use the Spoils or not. I think this is my favorite. But I think this should be cheaper, especially if there are no other Spoils-Gainers. Maybe it should cost only 4$.

Smelter (B)
You may trash a card from your hand. If you trash an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +1 Cards.

When you trash a card you may discard this from your hand. If you go, gain a card costing less than the trashed card.
Also cool idea to "gain" something when a card is trashed.

Angry Mob
+1 Action. +1 Buy. Each player gains a Ruins, putting it into his hand.

While this is in play, when you buy a Ruins, you may trash this. If you do, gain a Mob Boss from the Mob Boss pile.

Mob Boss
Cost: $0*
+1 Buy. Reveal your hand. For each Ruins revealed, +1 Card and +$1. You may return a Ruins from your hand to the Supply. If you do, +1 Action. (This is not in the Supply.)
Nice way of making profit of Ruins.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:31 pm »

Brief comment: there's a bunch of cards here which make it possible to gain Action cards to hand. How does this interact with Nomad Camp? You choose where it goes?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2013, 01:17:14 pm »

Brief comment: there's a bunch of cards here which make it possible to gain Action cards to hand. How does this interact with Nomad Camp? You choose where it goes?

Donald X. once said that he has not ruled on this, but would probably say that you choose.
Well you *do* need a signature...

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 01:21:37 pm »

I feel that the quality of the cards here is much improved over Hinterlands. Here are the cards I like, given a score between 1 and 3 and my comments for them. If your card is on this list at all, I think it's very cool and would be relatively happy if it won. (though mine winning is best, of couse) :)

Cultivate - 2 points
I find the bottom half unnecessary, and the cost can be reduced to 4, as its self-synergy isn't worth the complication it creates, but it's very interesting, giving you upgrades, but forcing you to have it be a victory card every half of the time. I've always found the mechanic it notices interesting, and I like this implementation. It does need quite a bit of tweaking, though.

Renovate - 3 points
Just a nice simple upgrader card I'm quite surprised hasn't been done yet. Simple, not too similar to other DA cards, a problem very evident here, and gives an interesting spin to TfB. Full points.

Ravage - 3 points
A powerful attack, similar to pillage but not quite as powerful with another neglected mechanic. I think the discard makes up for its strength. It could use a bit of simplification, though. Also full points here.

Miser - 1 point
Simple is worth a point all in itself, and this is probably the simplest card here that's cool. Because the bonuses all have to do with money, the name fits well, and that's worth something. Not interesting enough, though, so I'll give this a 1.

Charter (a) - 2 points
Another fitting card, and I like that it implements the 'trash the top card or your deck' in a non-swingy way that still adds something to the game.

King of the Slums - 2 points
Dark Ages really needs a card that makes use of ruins. As they stand, ruins are just pretty much bad curses, but this card can change their role pretty well. One of the best ruin-for benefit.

Iron Maiden - 2 points
Choices are nice, and the trilemma between discarding good for good or bad for bad is very interesting. It's not very Dark Ages-y, but still very nice.

Archaeologist - 3 points
My favorite of all the Ruins-related cards. Simple, interesting, has good reactions, and changes the game in a pleasant way, I expect.

Drug - 3 points
Similar to Hamlet in a good way. It's simple too, and thematic. All-around great, so full points.

Blood Feud - 2 points
I didn't see this one the first time, and I think it works with itself in a very nice way. It can be a cannibalizing village, but of course it works better with ruins. It's a well-implemented idea, it's just that so many of the other cards are even cooler.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013, 01:23:34 pm »
+2

And the ballot is up! A lot of cool cards this time around. If I missed your card or got it wrong, PM me ASAP!
You weren't kidding when you said there were a lot of cool cards. My poor card submission.

Also, Smelter(B) is missing it's cost.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:19 pm »

Because of some craziness this weekend I didn't get around to submitting a card, but hopefully that means I will be unbiased in my comments on the cards here.

Cemetery
Types: Victory
Worth 2 VP plus 1 VP for every 2 differently named Action cards in the trash.

When you gain this, trash a card from your hand other than a Cemetery.
I'm not sure why the "other than Cemetery" clause is needed.  In the worst case, this is a 2 VP card, and if you spent $5 getting it, then you were probably in a position where you want those 2 VP.  Since most of the benefit from it is how many VP it scores at the end of the game, by the time you get it you almost certainly don't want to trash it.

Without support it almost certainly doesn't seem worth going for.  It's probably not going to be worth more than 2 VP (without support), and spending $5 to replace a card in your deck with a 2 VP card isn't good.  With support it could be decent, but I'm not sure that it's really exciting.

Model Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

When you trash this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
This feels too similar to Fortress...a $4 village with an on-trash bonus.  It also seems like it could run into tracking issues.  I trash Model Village to trash Model Village to trash Catacombs and gain Inn and shuffle things into my deck and gain Death Cart and two Ruins, and gain Noble Brigand and attack everyone...With the right combination of on-gain and on-trash effects, having an on-trash effect that both trashes and gains could get hectic.  On the other hand, this is Dark Ages, so maybe that's okay.

Renovate
Type: Action
Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trased card, putting it into your hand. If it is an Action card, play it.
I feel like this compares way too favorably to Remodel.  You lose $1 of value, but in return you get an extra card in hand, potentially an extra action, and the flexibility to choose the card based on what you need to do this turn.  Actually it may even compare too favorably to Upgrade, although I guess it doesn't get the extra card for Copper trashing which could be a big deal.  Still, +$2 to trash Estates into Silvers seems too strong for $4.

Brick
Types: Treasure
Worth $1. When you play this, trash a card you have in play. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

When you trash this, gain a Copper, putting it into your hand.
I think I like this card, the on-trash effect is quite interesting.  You get a little boost this turn, but water your deck down with Copper and probably Gold (assuming you trashed it with another Brick).  I feel like there could be some issues with trashing from play, though I can't think of any.

Deathmonger
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $3
Trash the top card of your deck. You may trash the top card of your deck.

When any player (including you) trashes cards, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, that player puts the trashed cards into his hand.
This seems interesting but maybe too weak or too swingy.  I understand that there's supposed to be a risk with trashing the top card of your deck, and that you're supposed to connect these to avoid that risk, but that's not the problem that I have (although I suspect connecting them will generally be tough, which is part of what makes them weak).  The problem that I have is with playing this in the early game and hitting your other opening buy.  You could just not play it whenever you draw it T3 without your other opener (or T4 without having seen your other opener yet), but then you just opened with a card that hurts your T3/T4.  I don't know...I want to like it, but it's hard to imagine ever buying it, even in the context of DA on-trash effects.  I like weak cards, but I think I would need to be convinced that this isn't too weak to be worth ever getting.  I think the fact that it's reaction counters itself makes it weaker and swingier as well.

Carpenter
Trash a card from your hand and gain a cheaper card, putting it into your hand. +$ equal to the cost in coins of the gained card.

When you trash this during your Action phase, +1 Action.
This sounds crazy strong.  It's almost a Salvager, but it also gains a card costing less than the trashed card, which already sounds very strong (trash a Gold for a Duchy and +$5 in the end game sounds crazy), but then it also puts the gained card into your hand, which opens the door for insanity.  DA is all about insanity, but usually in the form of combos, not insanity on one card by itself.

Necromancy
Choose one: Gain an Action or Treasure card from the trash, putting it into your hand. Play it immediately. At the end of the turn, trash that card; or each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest.

When you gain this, you may trash a card costing up to $6 from the Supply if there is not a copy of it in the trash.
I don't like that this doesn't provide a way to decrease the size of the trash pile in the long run (unless there's Fortress in the trash).  That's not a big issue, and it seems nice otherwise, but not terribly exciting.

Ravage
You may discard a card. If you do, +1 Action. Each other player with 3 or more cards in hand reveals his hand and discards the card with the highest cost in coins (you choose in a tie). If he discarded a Victory card, he gains a Ruins, putting it into his hand.
This seems like it just slaughters opponents' hands.  Their hand slightly improves when you hit a green card, but their deck gets hurt for it.  But when you don't hit a green card, this is almost as bad as Pillage, except that it can stack way too much.  In a 4-player game, I feel like everyone would be starting with 2-card hands, and not only that, but those 2 cards were probably the worst two cards out of 5.  The game just comes to a stop at that point.  Okay, maybe it's not that bad because people are getting their Ravages discarded by Ravage, but it still seems horribly painful.  If you make it 5 or more instead of 3 or more it might be okay.  But still, people don't like attacks that don't benefit themselves, and +1 action is not really enough of a benefit.

Junkyard (A)
Types: Action – Looter
+1 Action. You may gain a Ruins, putting it into your hand. Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded. You may trash this.

When you trash this, +2 Cards.
I really like the idea here, but it seems weak.  It's a $5 Cellar which can become a cantrip if you're willing to take a Ruins into your deck, and then you can trash it for an extra boost.  I feel like it could cost $4, but maybe someone can convince me otherwise.  I really like it though.

Edit: So there has been a correction stating that this card is supposed to also give +1 card per action card discarded.  That may be enough to fix the concern that I had about its weakness, since you get an extra card now if you to take the Ruins.  That means that if you take the Ruins it's like a sifting Lab, plus it gets better with more Ruins, but at $5 it's not like it's easy to load up on them.  I think I like it better with the update.

Mortuary
+1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your discard pile or hand.

While this is in play, when you trash a card costing $2 or more, +1 Card.
This could be crazy when stacked.  I think this is a very DA card, I like it a lot.

Incendiarist
You may trash a card from your hand. If it is an… Action card, each other player gains a Ruins; Treasure card, gain a Spoils; Victory card, each other player gains a Curse.
This seems cute.  It doesn't have "iron" in the name though.  Having a single card which can hand out both Ruins and Curses is dangerous, but I think it's okay because how many action and victory cards are you going to trash anyway.

Priestcraft
+$2. Choose one: Trash a card from your hand; or choose a card in the trash and each other player gains a copy of that card, putting it on top of his deck.
This can give out Copper without any kind of filter to slow it down.  I know Donald X. didn't like that and I think it's for good reason.  It does attempt to dodge the problem of running out of cards from the trash to hand out by handing out copies of them from the supply rather than from the trash itself, but I don't think the result is much better than the original problem.

Miser
Choose two: +$2; gain a Spoils; gain a Silver. (The choices must be different.)
This compares too favorably to Explorer.  The only advantage Explorer has (barring a few edge cases) is that it can gain Gold later on, but it costs an extra $1 and doesn't have the Spoils option.  I like the name though and the effect is interesting, it would just need to be adjusted.

Charter (A)
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash the top card of your deck. You may gain a card from the trash.

When you trash this, +2 Cards.
This sounds too strong, but I do like it a lot.  I think it could cost $5.  Either you discard a good card, or it's a cantrip trasher, that doesn't trash from hand.  If you get a high enough density of them they approach +3 cards, +1 action.  I like it a lot, maybe the price is okay but it sounds strong to me.

Astral Conqueror
+$2. Each other player gains a Curse, a Ruins, and a Spoils. This cannot cause the last player to gain the last Curse or Ruins in the Supply.
That's way too many things to be handing out.  So it tries to dodge the instant two piles gone problem, that's nice I guess.  It gives us Spoils to make up for the fact that we're getting two junk cards, but that's not going to be enough.  The Spoils aren't permanent, but the junk is.  But even if I'm wrong and this card is balanced, I still don't like it because if you're giving out three junk cards, everyone almost completely loses control over their deck.  In a 4-player game, I can take nine cards into my deck before my next turn, even with no villages on the board.  That's crazy.  The one card that I buy on my turn isn't going to have almost any effect on my deck compared to the nine cards I just got swamped by.  At least Mountebank hands out solutions to it's own problem to slow down the rate at which you're getting cards into your deck.  This just converts people's decks into a giant pile of Curses, Ruins, and Spoils.

Alehouse
Cost: #3
When you trash a card this turn, +1 Action, discard a card, +1 Card, and you may gain a card costing less than the trased card. Trash a card from your hand or from play.
I think this is going to be way too hard to track with several of them in play, especially with on-gain and on-trash effects.

Iron Maiden
+$2. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card. If it is an…
Action card, he gains a Copper; Treasure card, he gains a Ruins; Victory card, he gains a Curse. He puts the gained card into his hand.

When you trash this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand.
I don't like this as much as Incindiarist because the combined Cursing and Looting on one card is not, in this case, filtered by something you want to do.  Once one of the piles runs out, you can choose what card type to discard based on which pile is out, but until then, the hardest option is the action discarding, and you get a Copper for that.  It is interesting though, the decision between discarding Treasure for Ruins or Victory card for Curse is nice, but I think having one card hand out both Ruins and Curses without a good filter is not good.

Bargain
Types: Reaction
Cost: $1
When you would gain a card, you may discard this. If you do, instead, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.
I think I saw this in another thread recently.  It's a nice concept but I think it's just way too weak, almost like a Copper.  The advantage it has over Copper I guess is that you can use it for gainers, but it doesn't seem worthwhile usually.  Maybe if it were $2 more, like a weird Silver variant, and cost $5 it might be interesting though.

Stronghold
Cost: $6
Worth 1 VP for every 2 Spoils in your deck (rounded down).

When you gain this, gain 3 Spoils.
The victory part seems very weak, so I guess you get it for the Spoils.  I guess 3 Spoils is not bad.  This card just doesn't seem exciting enough to me.

Smelter (B)
You may trash a card from your hand. If you trash an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +1 Cards.

When you trash a card you may discard this from your hand. If you go, gain a card costing less than the trashed card.
It's missing the cost/type.  I'm going to guess $3 or $4.  I think the victory card benefit could be +2 cards, since that's still worse than Masquerade, and the other options also are probably generally not better than Masquerade.

Charter (B)
Types: Treasure – Attack – Looter
Worth $2. When you play this, each other player gains a Ruins, putting it into his hand.
I know I've seen this card somewhere before...I think it's less painful than Cultist, but also not very different from Cultist.

Street Sweeper
Types: Action – Looter
+2 Cards. +1 Action. Trash a card.

When you trash this, gain a Ruins.
This is absurdly strong.  It's like Spice Merchant but not limited to treasures (but without the Woodcutter option), or Masquerade with an action, or Laboratory but with the ability to trash.  I though the consensus was that "+1 card, +1 action, trash a card from your hand" was too strong for $4, and this draws an extra card.  Okay, so you don't want to use them to trash each other because you get a Ruins, but that punishment is not nearly enough to make it not worth getting several of these.  You can just clear out the Ruins with future plays of Street Sweeper.

Also, it should presumably say "Trash a card from your hand."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:50:48 pm by scott_pilgrim »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2013, 01:33:53 pm »

Ballot updates:

Soldier and Smelter (B) have costs now. They both cost $3.

A new card has been added to the ballot: Mendicant.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.