Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wharf/BM vs Apothecary/Great Hall - what?  (Read 1447 times)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Wharf/BM vs Apothecary/Great Hall - what?
« on: September 10, 2013, 05:32:02 am »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130910/log.516ce75de4b082c74d7a61e2.1378804318722.txt

I just barely won this one by tie-break; a few mistakes for me, the last Silver should be a Great Hall, and probably a Duchy instead of the Harem. But... what? I am playing against Apothecary/Great Hall, is that really almost as good as Wharf/BM? It seems like 6 Great Halls should only make Apothecary stall even worse. My opponent is a top-25 player. What is going on?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:33:36 am by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Wharf/BM vs Apothecary/Great Hall - what?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:55:17 am »
+6

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130910/log.516ce75de4b082c74d7a61e2.1378804318722.txt

I just barely won this one by tie-break; a few mistakes for me, the last Silver should be a Great Hall, and probably a Duchy instead of the Harem. But... what? I am playing against Apothecary/Great Hall, is that really almost as good as Wharf/BM? It seems like 6 Great Halls should only make Apothecary stall even worse. My opponent is a top-25 player. What is going on?

You're right that Wharf/BM should beat the apothecary deck here pretty easily.
Putting the Wharf down as card #11 on your first shuffle doesn't help, but the real problem is that you failed to adapt to what your opponent was doing.

Apothecary decks without draw, without trashing have a huge problem buying green cards. They will just plain collapse on anything beyond the 4th province.
You should focus your game plan on this: just don't lose on a 4-4 province split by having less Great halls. As soon as the duchy dancing starts, you're good.

The key card to this plan is Harem. You can buy them, buy lots of them, and buy them early. Your opponent can't.
Join the Dominion League!

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:31 am »
+1

i seem to recall the sims suggesting that 2 wharfs followed by alternating gold/wharf buys is optimal, making your third wharf buy on T6 sub-optimal.  I think this is borne out in this particular case - you had no gold until T10.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 04:49:06 pm »
+3

i seem to recall the sims suggesting that 2 wharfs followed by alternating gold/wharf buys is optimal, making your third wharf buy on T6 sub-optimal.  I think this is borne out in this particular case - you had no gold until T10.
Sims show that, at least in a mirror, BM-wharf wants 3 wharves before gold.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:56:04 am »

So noted.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.