Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which of the following games would you like to play?

18AL
- 1 (3.6%)
Imperial (or 2030)
- 0 (0%)
Chicago Express
- 0 (0%)
Trains
- 0 (0%)
Belfort
- 2 (7.1%)
Lords of Waterdeep
- 5 (17.9%)
Suburbia
- 6 (21.4%)
Alien Frontiers
- 3 (10.7%)
Tigris and Euphrates
- 5 (17.9%)
Power Grid
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: More Board Games  (Read 4227 times)

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
More Board Games
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:29 am »

Okay, well...I didn't get enough interest in 18AL or Trains to start them up (although I've included them in the poll for completeness).

So, I've made a poll to see what games people might be interested in.  Some of these I could be quicker to get set up than others.

I'd also be interested in running Merchants and Marauders to see how that plays.  But I can't find a list of what all the Glory cards do...the vassal module doesn't have them all.

I would run them all using a combination of google docs and images, depending on the game.

Some of these are games that I am interested in playing/seeing in play, while others are games that I find fun, and seem like they'd be easy enough to run as a PbF.  Some of them without any hidden information, I'd like to play as well as run.  Some I'd be interesting in playing if someone else wanted to moderate them.

So, I'd play as well as moderate (unless there was an issue):
18AL, Chicago Express, and Imperial.
I'd play if someone else moderated:
Belfort, Lords of Waterdeep, Suburbia, Trains

The other games I'm only interested in moderating.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: More Board Games
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »

I voted for tigris and euphrates, power grid, and Lords of Waterdeep (those also happen to be the only three games on the list I have played before). If one of the others is chosen I still might play I guess - I'd have to read the rules first.

Tigris and Euphrates is easily my first choice, I've only played that game once and really enjoyed it. Glad to see that game is winning the poll right now.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:14:34 pm »

Would absolutely play a game of Power Grid or Lords of Waterdeep.. have played both once before, and greatly enjoyed both of them.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 05:14:59 pm »

Suburbia also looks awesome, although I've never played it.. would love to try it out.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:24 pm »

Power grid has been intriguing me for a while, but I have never had the chance to play a game of it...

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:06 pm »

Alrighty, looks like we've got a Lords of Waterdeep game we can do.  I'll see what I can do to get something together for actually running it...I'll probably have something in the next 48 hours or so.

(I have all the quest cards and intrigue cards in an excel document already...so it's just a matter of translating everything over into a usable form).

BGG says LoW is best with 3-4.  Any of those who voted (or those who didn't) have a preference for # of players?  Especially if you think that either 4 or 5 would be non-ideal.  (i.e. would you prefer I run with just those currently voting for it, or would you prefer I open it up to 5 players, or would you prefer I wait for a fifth, or is it all the same to you)?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:47:36 pm by theorel »

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:49 pm »

I have played it with 4, and it seemed to work well.  4 is just as fast as 3, since there are still 12 actions per turn either way.

Do you just have the base game?  The expansions look awesome!  But I'd be satisfied playing the base game again.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:18:50 pm »

:'(dont know any of these.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 04:29:59 pm »

Out of this list, I've only ever played lords of waterdeep.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »

Out of this list, I've only ever played lords of waterdeep.
sounds like it's time to learn a new game... :)

I've only played the last 3 myself....but we need some more variety in the non-mafia games around here.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:20 am »

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/registration-tower-register-your-team-here.86085/

is an awesome forum game. Too long for me, but it was really fun.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 12:05:35 pm »

For those of you who voted for multiple games...
Are you willing to play them all at the same time, or would you rather limit to one or 2 at a time?

There's sufficient interest here for Power Grid certainly (4 is considered one of the best numbers of players).

Tigris and Euphrates and Suburbia we could possibly run less-than-full as well.

If I get no comments I'll just start up confirmation/sign-ups for them at a rate of about 1 a week.

If you have preferences (including player count preferences) let me know as that can influence when I'll start them up.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

I would love to play Power Grid and Tigris and Euphrates, not sure I want to play those AND lords of waterdeep, I might /out of waterdeep to join those instead though :P

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 05:41:25 pm »

Does anyone have an interest in Le Havre?  It doesn't have much hidden information (initial set up for the first round, and 6 cards).  I would be willing to mod it or play if someone else wanted to mod.  It has a similar feel to Agricola without the desperation of Agricola.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 06:14:01 pm »

Does anyone have an interest in Le Havre?  It doesn't have much hidden information (initial set up for the first round, and 6 cards).  I would be willing to mod it or play if someone else wanted to mod.  It has a similar feel to Agricola without the desperation of Agricola.

But that's the best part of agricola

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:02:08 pm »

It's just not as dire.  Like when you can't feed people it's not the end of the world... It's not quite as good as Agricola, but I still enjoy it.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 07:39:18 pm »

My least favorite part of Agricola is the fact that once I have a functioning farm, the game is over!  I always wish I could play an extra round or two with my awesome farm!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 11:32:51 pm »

I love Agricola! From what I've heard, Le Havre was Rosenberg's better version of the Agricola system. So I'm surprised AHoppy says Agricola is better. But I'd be up for Le Havre! Power Grid looks really intense too, so I'd play that too.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 02:22:11 am »

I wouldn't say Le Havre is a better Agricola, it is different.  But where Agricola has shortage, Le Havre has abundance.  So someone will take the action you really want to take.  Bummer.  But there are still plenty of good actions left for you to take, and you can wait a turn and probably still be able to take that action.  So It's a little harder to screw people over (unless you want to tank your own game, which I have had someone do.  Worked the first time, not the second time he tried it).  Also: No starting player.  Everyone gets to go first/have a turn advantage an equal number of times.  So the games are very similar, but Le Havre can be less frustrating.  Which some people probably like better.  What I like about Agricola is that I got past the stage where the game is frustrating, so that's probably why I like it more. (Although, playing against you people can be frustrating :P You're all too smart.)

And Nkirbit: You can get your economy to fruition several turns before the game ends in Le Havre, so you can play with your awesome economy for a few turns.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 07:06:08 am »

I would love to play Power Grid and Tigris and Euphrates, not sure I want to play those AND lords of waterdeep, I might /out of waterdeep to join those instead though :P

I don't want to keep rotating which game starts...Especially after what just happened with LoW, let's get the game started that definitely has sufficient interest first.  If you dropped from LoW, and then 2-3 others dropped from Power Grid and a couple from T&E we'd just be left with a bunch of not full, not starting games.

Both of those got an extra vote now, but chairs and hyram are on the Power Grid and T&E votes respectively, and they both dropped out of LoW for lack of time.  I'll probably wait a bit longer before opening either, or allow for a couple more players to show interest. 

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 07:06:42 am »

@AHoppy: I would be interested in Le Havre if you ran it.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:03 am »

I can run Le Havre.  I would say it is at its best with 3 players, but if you guys want to do 4, that's fine too.  They say 5 is awful, and I would imagine it is.  When I get some time, I'll work on some kind of spreadsheet to play it in then start a thread.  So far we have theorel and Archetype interested.  One or two more and we should be good to go

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 07:49:43 am »

If you're interested, post something over here
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9385.new#new

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 02:05:53 pm »

I need to check this board more often, I totally would have joined in LoW.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 06:50:36 pm »

I tried out Suburbia last night.. it was awesome.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 22 queries.