Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dutch/Belgian Championship tournament report  (Read 2893 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Dutch/Belgian Championship tournament report
« on: September 08, 2013, 03:29:41 pm »
+8

At the break of day I get into my car and head for The Hague, Holland. This sea town is the place where the small board game convention of spellenaanzee is to be held. More importantly the Dutch/Belgian Dominion national championship is scheduled to happen there. I arrive with time to spare and check out the games for sale waiting for the tournament to start. A while later I see a few known faces trickling in the hall: Dave (Davio), Stef (Stef), Steven (Indur), Loes (loesu) and some more. I also get to meet Filip (SheCantSayNo). Stef is the favorite to win the whole thing of course, but I hope to get lucky. The tournament structure differs from last year's as we're going to play heads up matches with a swiss structure. This is much better suited for competitive Dominion than three-player randomness. The kingdoms have all been custom designed ahead of time so the games should all be interesting.

First round is against Martijn (don't know his Goko nick) and the kingdom features Laboratory, Festival, Swindler, Militia, Chapel and Duke as notable cards. I decide to open Swindler/Chapel although Militia/Chapel is probably a little better. My opponent surprisingly skips trashing and goes for Swindler/Silver. I get a lucky Chapel turn (3 Estates) and quickly get my deck into shape while my opponent is going for some big money strategy. Eventually I empty the Labs and then start greening with a triple Duchy turn. My opponent is going for Provinces so I get 7 Duchies which makes the Dukes huge and I win by a large margin.

Second round has the Native Village/Bridge combo and my opponent is a little noobish and doesn't seem to know it. I empty the NV pile and get 7 Bridges. My opponent is going for some sort of turbo Remodel strategy and gets 4 of the Provinces when my mega turn is ready to trigger so pretty easy win again.

Third round is against Loes (loesu), whose friendly, pretty exterior hides the Dominion beast that lurks within. This is one of the most fun sets and features Ironworks, Wharf, Gardens, Great Hall, Island. If both players go for the same dominant strategy of Ironworks/Gardens/Island rush the game can be over in 10 turns. I decide to open Bureaucrat/Smugglers. The theory is that the Bureaucrat's extra economy will allow me to get crucial Duchies after the rush. Loes goes for Ironworks/Silver. I get to smuggle an early Wharf and then basically start draining Ironworks, then Gardens, then Islands while Loes follows suit. We split the Gardens, but I get mine up to 4 points while Loes can't get to the 40 card treshold so I win.

3-0 and feeling pretty good, but now I have to play ...Stef.

I'm not really worried. Stef's a very mellow friendly fellow despite superhuman Dominion skillz. The board isn't very engine friendly and that's a relief because I know I won't be destroyed. We both open Courtyard/Silver. I get a few Ghost Ships and basically money (Torturer was also an option, but Ghost Ship is just better). Stef goes for money and Ghost Ships as well. After my first Gold I switch to Harems and win the split 5/3. We split the Provinces evenly, but Stef wins the Duchy split so he wins. It was my own fault because I bought a 3rd Ghost Ship over Duchy when there were 4 Provinces left. Stef correctly starts Duchy dancing earlier and wins deservedly.

5th round I get to play Steven (Indur). He's also a very strong player, but not yet at superhuman level. This board is pretty cool with Fishing Village, Nobles, Bazaar, Swindler, Lighthouse and Witch. I open Swindler/Lighthouse. I believe Lighthouse is key here, but Indur doesn't seem to realize it and only gets 1 (I think?) so I get to curse and Swindle him a few times while I'm often protected and only receive 2 Curses (to his 4). I never buy money and head straight for Nobles. I win that split and in the end also the Province split.

One more win and I'm in the finals....

Last round has Masquerade, Militia, Tactician, Festival, Sea Hag, Ambassador. We both open Militia/Masquerade (which Stef strongly disagreed with saying he always opens Silver with Masquerade). We basically play a mirror match of Masquerade Big Money. He gets a few early Golds while I settle for Silvers, but he makes a small mistake of building further when he hits $8 instead of going green. This allows me to split the Provinces and it's a tie. In the meantime Stef is playing some double Tactician/Festival deck which seems a lot cooler than what we went for. He wins handily and that means I'll play the finals best of three against Stef.

Our match gets a few spectators, but I'm not really nervous, just glad to be able to play Dominion against the best player in the world. The first board has Journeyman, Herald, Bazaar, Stonemason, Steward, Butcher and Baker. We both open Butcher/Steward (Baker coin token). I can't explain how, but Stef builds up a lot faster and while I'm still having single Bazaar buying turns he's already had a turn buying Stonemason (+2 Herald), Stonemason (+Bazaar,+Journeyman). It all seemed pretty hopeless and my only chance is Stef making a mistake, so ... I concede. I should have probably played on for that 1% where everything lines up for me and nothing for him, but oh well. On to the second game. The board is slightly less engine friendly: Soothsayer, Baker, Plaza, Council Room, Lookout. We both open Soothsayer/Lookout. Stef gets a second Lookout clearly indicating he wants to build an engine. I've never really seen a board where I want to get 2 Lookouts so I decide the engine is just not going to run that smoothly with Soothsayer junking up the decks (too many Golds is also junk for an engine). Stef gets a million plazas and manages to connect them pretty well with his few Council Rooms. He even manages a double Province turn and seems to win this one easily again, although he admitted afterwards that he wasn't too sure the engine was the right choice for this kingdom.

So SuperStef is the deserved Dutch champ. Well done and see you next year :)

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch/Belgian Championship tournament report
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:11:05 am »

Third round is against Loes (loesu), whose friendly, pretty exterior hides the Dominion beast that lurks within.

Loes lol'd hard haha. Great report Jeroen.
Good organised tournament and a deserved winner and you as a finalist also.
Loes was very pleased with her third place!
Nice to meet you all again.

Indur

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:12:10 am »

Nice report Jeroen! And posted very quickly :)

Small additions: I think you have the first and second rounds mixed up. I'm pretty sure the Native Village/Bridge combo was the first match.
In our match I'm pretty sure I bought 3 lighthouses pretty early (I ended up with 5), twice drawing two right before the reshuffle; but what I think decided this match was your first Swindler hitting mine, especially because I couldn't get to 5 money because of it. Regardless, I think you built the better deck. Nice playing you in real life.
“Memories are their own descendents masquerading as the ancestors of the present.”
--David Mitchell --

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:27:17 am »

Nice report, I'm just sad that I didn't get to play either you or Stef at all during the tourney.
I had hoped to meet you or him at the table somewhere in the structure, but I guess I should have just done better so I could have ended up in the final myself. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:21:23 pm »
+6

Thanks to everybody for the very nice tournament. Since the rest already has been discussed, all I have to add is some comment on my own games.

Game #1 - Native village, Bridge. Somehow I missed the option of keeping it simple. I'm going to write that down to lack of sleep and hope to get away with it. Anyhow, my opponent had a $5/$2 split and opened with Upgrade/Lighthouse. With Conspirator & Market also on the board they can be pretty strong. I answered with Bridge/Silver. I added 3 upgrades asap to get rid of the yellow and green nonsense that someone put in my deck. With Library to draw back up that worked reasonably well and at least just plain better then what my opponent was doing. He bought many conspirators, and out of frustration of not being able to activate them he added a scout. End of story, although it took me a while. I won, and I impressed the kibitzers with a last turn with 14 buys and 5 cost reduction. Fortunately I realized I would have to improve my play if I wanted to stand a chance today.

Game #2 features Chapel, Cellar, Swindler, Woodcutter, Militia, Upgrade, Laboratory, Festival, Duke, Adventurer
Fortunately we both opened $4/$3 ($5/$2 seems unfairly strong here). Although Swindler/Chapel might work fantastically, I do prefer Militia/Chapel. If you manage to hit the chapel hand with your militia it's just huge. And if you hit the non-chapel hand.... well that's not a bad thing either. Early Swindler of course can win you the game if you hit the chapel, but the rest is less interesting. Your opponent won't really care if he chapels a copper or a swindled curse.

Anyhow - I was very very lucky with turns 3/4. His turn 3 he had 3 copper/2 estates (silver). I had 4 coppers and militia (laboratory).  Then he had to discard from militia-chapel-2 copper-estate, and opted to play militia and buy another silver. This meant I could "only" chapel 2 estates but I was miles ahead already and the game never got close anymore.

Game #3 I played against Indur on a pretty interesting board. Wharf, Throne Room, Ironworks, Gardens, Island, Bureaucrat, Baron, Great Hall, Smugglers, Pawn.
On some tables players got the engine going but I think you just lose to the slog. With 2 piles being both green and grey, it's near impossible to have too many Ironworks. And if your opponent really invests in those wharves, you just smuggle them (this is how Davio beats SheCantSayNo here)
Indur and I both appeared to come to this conclusion, because we both opened Ironworks/Smugglers. Turns 3/4 were also somewhat equal, both adding 3 more Ironworks and a Silver.
His Ironworks were a bit more on top of his deck now, and he started adding islands quickly. I was just somewhat following suit now, although near the end of the second shuffle we made different choices for the first time: he added a second silver, I went for a second smugglers.
He did get to $5 for a wharf, but fortunately I could smuggle it (although I never played it). Then I dived into the gardens a bit sooner then he did. Losing the island split 5-3 was compensated by winning the gardens split 5-3. In fact more then compensated because we both ended on 32 cards. Add one extra estate and I won with a 3-point margin; a very close game that could easily have gone both ways. In hindsight the right timing for switching to greening helped me a lot here.

Game #4 against Jeroen / Geronimoo. Hoping for a nice engine against this BM-simulator-expert, I was rather disappointed by the set. It featured Haven, Courtyard, Wishing Well, Spy, Thief, Ghost Ship, Torturer, Harem.
Off course we both opened Silver/Courtyard. It looked really promising when my turn 3 hand had 4 coppers and a courtyard. The next card was another copper, and then... 2 estates. We both ended up adding Silver/Ghost Ship to our decks on t3/t4, but he didn't have to play his courtyard for it. After that my deck rather disappointed me with lots of $4 hands and clashing terminals near the end of the shuffle. Sure I could play courtyard and put the ghost ship back. but then that would miss the shuffle. I had to make this choice twice and opted for playing the ghost ship on both occasions. In the meanwhile he did hit the gold, and the second, and then a province and a harem. I got to two gold much later, and decided to add a harem for $9 and another harem for $8. Only one province was gone, no way three piles were ever running, and I estimated the game would last quite a bit longer with all those ghost ships flying around.
Quite a bit later I had another interesting choice. We both had 2 provinces, I lost the harem split 5-3, and we both had a duchy. I had $6 at the last hand of this shuffle. After quite some consideration I took a duchy. I was really surprised to see him add a 4th ghost ship after that, and I think that cost him the game in the end. We split the provinces but I won the duchy split 5-3.

Game #5 against loes had another nice set: Lighthouse, Fishing Village, Warehouse, Woodcutter, Swindler, Witch, Bazaar, Festival, Nobles
I open with $3 for a fishing village. Then Loes shows her $2 hand for a lighthouse and I already feel sorry I didn't open that too for $3. I add a swindler and she off course a Witch.
With Swindler/Copper on the bottom and fishing village on turn 4, I don't hit $5 on the first 4 turns and things start looking grim. Fortunately her witch draws her lighthouse and she can't add another witch just yet. And then my turn 5 swindler completely makes up for missing the shuffle, by replacing that ugly witch by a really nice card worth 3 points, and providing me enough money to buy my own witch. On $6 the next hand I buy another one, and by also playing with more lighthouses I end up winning the curse spilt 7-3. Without trashing that's near impossible to overcome and in the end it's a reasonably comfortable win.

Game $6 against Martijn was a nice double tact engine. With a huge amount of attacks on the board everything else seems unplayable. Moat, Masquerade, Ambassador, Sea Hag, Pirate Ship, Militia, Festival, Tactician.
My Masquerade/Silver opening failed at doing what it's usually very good at: bringing me $5. I added another Silver and another masquerade. My opponent did manage to hit festival, but after that I had some nice draws and trashing at twice the speed he was my deck quickly was the better one. I switched to double tact after two festivals, and from that point on I could always start with militia and follow with masquerade. Although he also switch to doublish tact, this did hurt his development rather seriously and he was just two turns behind.

Onto the finals against Geronimoo and these sets would not only include base, intrige and seaside, but also guilds.
Since Guilds had some pretty engine-loving cards, that looked promising.
The first set was really a mind-blowing puzzle, with Pawn, Stonemason, Steward, Herald, Scout, Butcher, Baker, Bazaar, Journeyman.
It was very clear I wanted to open Steward here, but the other card is not so clear. I took the butcher because it can both help a bit in trashing and also get me to $7 for the stonemason.
My opening got mirrored.
Then on turn 3 I had 4 coppers and the butcher. Not the best I could hope for but at least no collision and butcher wasn't missing this shuffle either. I decided to use one token to buy a bazaar here. Trashing the copper for a pawn is really really bad, I never considered that. On a set like this you don't want to upgrade coppers, just getting rid of them is much better. Also I wanted a bazaar just in case my Steward was not in the next 5 cards: then I would want to add another steward and 3 terminals without a village is a bit much. I thought it was a bit early for a stonemason into two heralds, because my action density was still just too low.
His turn 3 completely missed, because he didn't play any terminals. Buying a Silver however is just wrong, yellow is almost as ugly as green here.
On my turn 4 I trashed an estate and a copper, using the coin token for a second steward. Trashing down is super important here.
On his turn 4 he trashed two coppers and bought nothing. That probably means he also had the butcher and it's just horrible for him. But I think he would have been in better shape with a steward on the previous turn and a bazaar on this one.
He added some more money, and it was about 6 turns later that my deck consisted of a dozen actions adding six more, and he just resigned, probably just.

The last game had Moat, Lookout, Masterpiece, Plaza, Baker, Soothsayer, Councilroom
With the only buy in Councilroom, and Soothsayer clogging the deck on both sides, it wasn't clear at all this was an engine board. But Lookout is a reasonable trasher, quite strong if you can follow it up with a plaza, and council room doesn't really object against the golds. Still a bit unsure I decided to go for it anyway. I think I made some nice play decisions (not playing a plaza after a lookout, knowing the top card was another plaza and three cards one of witch was council room) and I didn't get unlucky either. He off course got ahead on points but I made up with a double province turn, and with the split at 3-3 we turned to duchies. Since I was slowly building up coin tokens, and getting a double duchy turn now and then, this game wasn't going to run away no more.

Hurray! :) Thanks again to everyone present and especially Kyra & Hans for organizing the tournament.
I was lucky with the draws on some games (#2, #5), lucky with my opponent on the first game, and I think I played about as good as I can on the rest.
At the end of the day that proved to be enough. And oh boy did I miss the point counter.
Join the Dominion League!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:55 pm »
+1

Sadly, -Stef-, you only have room for one title :P

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »
+2

Sadly, -Stef-, you only have room for one title :P

I'll take it if he's not using it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »
+2

Hah, I missed the point counter as well when I brought about my own demise in a close game with Steven. Bought the last two Dukes for a 3 point loss. :(

Overall I think the predetermined sets were "OK", apart from the 4th one with Ghost Ship and Courtyard. The problem with it was that it's just very hard to play horribly. Everyone knows how to buy money and everyone knows how to buy some cards that draw that money. So you're only micro-optimizing there and the outcome is determined more by shuffle luck than play decisions. Of course, you could also have a brain freeze and open Silver/Silver like I did and still do something pretty stupid.

In game 3 I kind of stumbled into the engine against SheCantSayNo after I Smuggled his Wharf on turn 3. My Ironworks amassed almost all of the Great Halls and got me a great density for my Throne Rooms to give me the actions for my Wharves. It's kind of fun to just stumble into something purely based on how the cards fall. We drowned the Wharf and Great Hall piles so fast that I only needed to grab 2 Throne Rooms and a Wharf on my final turn and won almost solely based on my Great Halls.

Hmm, I'm going backwards here I see, might as well give a small report of my day, not boring you with unnecessary details like last time. :)

My goal wasn't to "prove" I was a worthy champion, since that's a quest you're never going to succeed at. My goal was simply to just have fun and play well. Just playing Dominion all day is a great experience for me. You might remember from last year that I had a child 2 weeks before. Well, he's 1 year old now and getting something into our busy schedule still isn't very easy.

I ended up with a 4-2 record, not quite enough for the final. The two games I had lost, I could have done some things different, but overall I'm quite happy with how I played.

Game 1 I went for the obvious NV/Bridge combo, my opponent didn't know it so it was pretty easy to pull off.

Game 2 I Swindled some Labs into Dukes, forcing my opponent to go Duchy/Duke, realizing only too late that I might have given out too much Dukes and contested Duchies too late. I had just figured that my deck could get those last 2 Provinces quite easily, but they were miles away.

Game 3 was the TR/GH/Wharf game against SheCantSayNo. He discounted Ironworks, which was a mistake I think, you'll rarely find so many good targets for it.

Game 4 I planned to go with as many Ghost Ships as I could and somehow missed Courtyard, oh well. My opponent got a turn 3 Gold with Navigator, perfect shuffle luck as he could skip his T4 Estate hand and get the Gold and his Navigator shuffled in again immediately. After that it was an uphill battle for me and I never stood a chance. There were many times I bought Gold or Harem over Ghost Ship (maybe too many), thinking "well, my opponent is playing Ghost Ships as well, so I need those Golds to get a Province with some 3-card hands. I realized after that you're rarely going to get a Province with a 3-card hand anyway and if you have your full 5 cards, Harem often suffices just as well. The fact that I didn't play this game very well and my opponent got going quickly rightly cost me this game and the tournament.

Game 5 I had a breeze. My opponent didn't buy a Witch, Swindler or a Lighthouse. God knows why, but he realized it's awfully hard to get Golds with 10 Curses in your deck. I was kind enough to turn some Curses back into Coppers. This was mostly a game of "how do I end this as quickly as possible?" instead of "how do I win?". The game ended with Nobles, Curses and... Bazaars gone. Could have gone with Fishing Villages, but he was crazy about the Bazaars so that pile was already low.

Game 6 my double Tact engine got off the ground better than TheMirrorMan's and I bought a Province on 6 consecutive turns I think.

It was a blast to see everyone again and play Dominion for an entire day, just a shame I wasn't pitted against Stef or Geronimoo or some others I had hoped to see at the table, because apart from their Dominion skills, they're actually pretty nice guys, who'd have thought, huh?

Stef, why didn't you take the coffee machine?  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 03:23:41 pm »

Well Davio, as I stated earlier, I think I fell asleep after round 4. When I saw you picking the double tact, I suddenly woke up with "oh it's THAT type of game" LOL.

And you opening 5/2 with tact/embargo and embargoing the tact immediately. Well ... almost game over there. All credit to you though, you played it flawlessly.

And I agree : it was a blast to see all these people in real life. Very nice people indeed. Just hope I can get some more Belgians interested for next year - I wanna get the derby going good :)
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 20 queries.