Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: (When) Is Procession Good?  (Read 1552 times)

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
(When) Is Procession Good?
« on: September 08, 2013, 02:03:23 pm »
+1

I played this game against Polk5440.  As it was a friendly game, I decided to take an exploratory "stupid" strategy of trying to do Procession when there isn't a continuous chain of actions to the high end (no $5 cost cards here).  Somehow, I get a Courtyard-Menagerie-Procession-Monument-Salvager thing to work.  How did this happen so quickly?  Any Procession Gurus out there care to weigh in on what made this work?

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1378663195678.txt

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: (When) Is Procession Good?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:05:32 pm »
+1

Man, I don't know what to tell you.  I still can't figure the card out.  It's great in games where you want to force a bunch of piles out with costs that are $1 apart.  Sometimes it's hard to get points in the process of doing that, though.  Needs to be an article from someone who really understands it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 02:29:49 pm »

Article - http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4988.0.

Here I think you created a good deck for throne room/menagerie/courtyard/monument. The processions acted as a tolerable substitute for the throne rooms. You were also able to draw cards on the turn they were gained and this is a strong feature of gaining cards.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:32:13 pm by DG »

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:43:50 pm »

Article - http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4988.0.

Here I think you created a good deck for throne room/menagerie/courtyard/monument. The processions acted as a tolerable substitute for the throne rooms. You were also able to draw cards on the turn they were gained and this is a strong feature of gaining cards.

Salvager also felt important to my deck -- more than just being a trasher to activate my Menageries, it gave some buys that helped me replenish my low cost cards, while still buying things at the end.  I'm not sure how important that feature of the deck was, but I thought it to be important at the time.

Nice point about drawing the cards gained on the turn played.  I noticed that I was doing this halfway through, and I thought, "oh, that's nice!"

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 06:03:28 am »
+1

I believe, procession is one of the least understood cards in the whole game. I think, it's more useful than just in games where you have a consistent chain of actions from 2$-7$, but I haven't figured out, yet, how to use it properly, or how to decide properly, when it's worth it. I most often stick to a more safely to be played option.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:42 am »
+1

I took one look at this board and thought there was no way Procession was going to be fast enough with no $5s. That means each Monument and Salvager can only be played once or it's lost to the Procession trashing really limiting what to Process. It's fine every once in a while, but it could be too easy to accidentally ruin your own deck.

I went Cutpurse-Courtyard-Money, but since No Pawns Intended was focusing on cheap cards, Cutpurse didn't hurt him as much as it normally would have. I thought I was going to win the Province split, and if that's the case, Monument points weren't going to be able to make up the difference. Instead, NPI was able to get out to a big lead on me using this Procession chain.

The game had a weird feel to it. His deck was absolutely terrible doing next to nothing for quite a while. Then, all of a sudden when enough cards were trashed away, it just clicked and started really humming.

I don't know what else to say. I was surprised this worked!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 20 queries.