Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: the i'll use a coin token joke  (Read 13020 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
the i'll use a coin token joke
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:34:58 pm »
+10

say your opponent splits 5/2 and there is witch on the board.

you can make a hilarious joke if you split 4/3. When you play your 4, say "now i'll use my coin token" and pretend that there is baker. you don't have to give me credit.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
Re: the i'll use a coin token joke
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:27 pm »
+1

say your opponent splits 5/2 and there is witch on the board.

you can make a hilarious joke if you split 4/3. When you play your 4, say "now i'll use my coin token" and pretend that there is baker. you don't have to give me credit.
This works best with a Black Market. They'll just assume they missed the Baker when looking through the Black Market deck, and have to recheck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:29:21 pm »
+4

What if I really want to issue a proper citation for this brilliant piece of wit
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:48:11 am by popsofctown »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35:44 pm »
+10

What if you really want to issue a proper citation for this brilliant piece of wit

It deserves a citation, all right.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:31:05 pm »
+2

It also works well on Goko when the Bane from Young Witch pushes Baker to the next page.

(Except that the joke is on you because you had the animation on Very Fast and didn't pay attention and just assumed they had a 5/2 split when really they used 4 Copper and a token)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:32:48 pm by Witherweaver »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15:51 am »
+1

So apparently I'm missing the joke, maybe because I don't play on Goko so am not familiar with the interface... it's not like you can actually buy a Witch with $4, if there's no Baker. So it seems that the only thing saying "now i'll use my coin token" would do it make your opponent double-check, and then response "what do you mean? There's no Baker on the board." Is the joke just that you cause your opponent to have to double-check the board, or am I missing something? If the former, then surely you could also just say "Guess I'll buy chapel" on a board with no Chapel for the same effect...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:32:50 am »

So apparently I'm missing the joke, maybe because I don't play on Goko so am not familiar with the interface... it's not like you can actually buy a Witch with $4, if there's no Baker. So it seems that the only thing saying "now i'll use my coin token" would do it make your opponent double-check, and then response "what do you mean? There's no Baker on the board." Is the joke just that you cause your opponent to have to double-check the board, or am I missing something? If the former, then surely you could also just say "Guess I'll buy chapel" on a board with no Chapel for the same effect...

It wasn't the same as the original post.  I was just joking that there have been times where I have not noticed Baker was on the board and didn't realize there was a coin token until after the opening buys.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:19:28 pm »

It wasn't the same as the original post.  I was just joking that there have been times where I have not noticed Baker was on the board and didn't realize there was a coin token until after the opening buys.

But I'm not getting the joke in the original post...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:34 pm »

I don't get the joke either. How is it so hilarious to mention a coin token when you only have 4g, anyway?

Is it because the opponent will briefly think their 5g for Witch isn't giving them an upper hand?

Shrug.
My opponent has more loot than me

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:49:53 pm »

It's funny in the ironic way.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:41 pm »
+1

Irony is cool.  This appears pointless.
My opponent has more loot than me

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:10:29 pm »
+6

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

--E.B. White
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:40 pm »
+21

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

--E.B. White

Here, E.B. White is using a metaphor comparing a joke to a frog. Much like frog dissection leads to greater understanding of the frog, albeit at the cost of the life of the frog, explaining a joke, while it will aid in understanding, undermines the elements of the joke that typically lead to the desired comedic effect such as timing, wording, anticipation, and unexpected connections.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:59 pm »
+2

If we can phrase the question to explain this joke in terms of Dominion rules, then we can get it thoroughly explained in at least 38 different ways and throw in 5 edge case and 9 strategy discussions.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 02:36:52 pm »
+5

--E.B. White

Here, E.B. White is using a metaphor comparing a joke to a frog. Much like frog dissection leads to greater understanding of the frog, albeit at the cost of the life of the frog, explaining a joke, while it will aid in understanding, undermines the elements of the joke that typically lead to the desired comedic effect such as timing, wording, anticipation, and unexpected connections.

Edge case to E.B. White; the joke gets funnier when you metajoke it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 02:39:17 pm »
+3

--E.B. White

Shouldn't the frog be dead before you start dissecting it?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 02:39:48 pm »
+3

If we can phrase the question to explain this joke in terms of Dominion rules, then we can get it thoroughly explained in at least 38 different ways and throw in 5 edge case and 9 strategy discussions.

Joke
Action: $5
+1 Action
+$2

You may explain the Joke. If you do, +2 Cards and trash this.

...Like that?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »
+6

--E.B. White

In case anyone doesn't get Witherweaver's comment, the quote by E.B. White could be considered a joke in it's own right due to the somewhat clever analogy. In my reply I did the very thing E.B. White's analogy warns against; I explained his joke. However, far from undermining the efficacy of his (i.e. E.B. White's) joke, the subversion of his analogy creates a humorous irony, which Witherweaver calls a 'metajoke' as it is a joke predicated on another joke.

Furthermore, Witherweaver refers to this subversion as an 'edge case' which is a common term used by members of this community to denote situations in the game of Dominion where general strategic guidelines or rules of thumb are less effective than usual. By applying this term, one which the audience is sufficiently familiar with, to a situation not relating specifically to the common usage, he creates a humorous comparison.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:59:53 pm by jonts26 »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »
+2

Joke
+1 Action
+$2

You may explain the Joke. If you do, +2 Cards and trash this.

...Like that?

Or:

Joke
(...)
-----
When you buy this, you may spend a coin token.  If you do, your opponent must explain the joke or resign the game.

.. this gives the added benefit of being able to use the joke in games that involve Joke when Joke cannot be used.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 04:04:50 pm »
+9

So the original joke was this:

"Oho! You've been fortunate enough to open 5/2 on a Witch board! Fortunately, I 'have' this coin token that I will use to match your purchasing power, though I have but four Coppers! What's that, you say? I have no coin token after all? Well, damn and blast, you've jolly well seen through my clever ruse after all that!"

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »

Kirian's post is the only real joke in this thread.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 05:50:18 am »

I don't think so. The one I like the most is the joke of -Stef-.

Seems like it's the same joke as the original one :-P
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:36 am »

I also didn't understand the original joke, because first player had 5/2 in it. It would work so much better if first player had opened with 4.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 09:17:33 am »
+1

Could you explain Kirian's joke? Real jokes require explanation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 09:28:12 am »
+2

Witherweaver appears to be a true Jester; a Joke of All Trades, if you will.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.241 seconds with 20 queries.