Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: GokoDom II: Round 4 Discussion Thread  (Read 23141 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom II: Round 4 Discussion Thread
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 05:06:37 pm »
+1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378421489437.txt
Swindler game, my Swindler keeps hitting Silvers and turning them into Black Markets and it ruins WW's money supply. Get big lead for no good reason and end on a win.
Actually I am not sure that this one is so much luck. I *feel* like it is, but then there aren't THAT many times I think I got shafted by luck. More that you had the money hands come together for province which seemed magical to me, but even at the time, I knew it objectively can't be that far off the norm.

WW, why did you open Double Swindler in this game? Isn't Warehouse/Swindler just like absolutely better based on what you wanted? I think it is, because it means you won't have collision, you will still play Swindler very often, and yo have better odds of getting to Upgrade and Bazaar. And then add more Swindlers later. That's my interpretation of your problem, anyway.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 06:16:20 pm »

I am not sure where to put this, so I will try it here, sorry for the off-topic.
I am away next week until Friday or early Saturday, therefor I can only play my gokodom games on Saturday Evening / Sunday. Since I don't know my opponent yet, I would need somebody who informs my opponent on that, once the matching is done.

Would be nice if someone of you could do that (if my opponent does not read this message anyway.. ;) )

There needs to be some guidance on this sort of situation and requesting byes. I got two consecutive opponents with this problem, one of whom I managed to play my match with and the other I did not. Should people be requesting byes if they will be 100% unavailable and uncontactable for more than half the week?

My idea for fixing this is a default time the match is to be played.
Sunday afternoon for example.
With the expectation that players arrange a better time if possible.
If they can't agree on a time then either player can claim the win by turning up on Sunday pm.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 06:51:15 pm »
+1

I am not sure where to put this, so I will try it here, sorry for the off-topic.
I am away next week until Friday or early Saturday, therefor I can only play my gokodom games on Saturday Evening / Sunday. Since I don't know my opponent yet, I would need somebody who informs my opponent on that, once the matching is done.

Would be nice if someone of you could do that (if my opponent does not read this message anyway.. ;) )

There needs to be some guidance on this sort of situation and requesting byes. I got two consecutive opponents with this problem, one of whom I managed to play my match with and the other I did not. Should people be requesting byes if they will be 100% unavailable and uncontactable for more than half the week?

My idea for fixing this is a default time the match is to be played.
Sunday afternoon for example.
With the expectation that players arrange a better time if possible.
If they can't agree on a time then either player can claim the win by turning up on Sunday pm.
I think this is reasonable, except Sunday afternoon from whose perspective?  Sunday afternoon for one time zone is the wee hours of Monday morning for others.  So picking a default time biases the tournament structure against people in particular regions of the world.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:26 pm »
+1

I think this is reasonable, except Sunday afternoon from whose perspective?  Sunday afternoon for one time zone is the wee hours of Monday morning for others.  So picking a default time biases the tournament structure against people in particular regions of the world.

Indeed, that's the problem; it's one of the reasons that the due date is Monday near noon in Europe, so that everyone has a chance to use Sunday.

This hasn't been a problem in past seasons of the tournament, oddly, so I'm not entirely certain what's happening now--especially since we're out of summer.  I suspect part of it is to do with the larger number of players.

Lotoreo:  If you won't be available to even converse to set up a time until the weekend, you should request a bye.  In fact, I'll put you in right now as requesting a bye.

Stealth Tomato:  I agree that more specifics on this for future tournaments would be good although, as I noted, it's never really been that much of a problem.  I think I may have to set up a cutoff time for scheduling the match, say, by Thursday.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »
+1

There are other problems with default times. If Sunday afternoon is the one time a week I am unavailable, making that the default makes it so that I can't safely enter the tournament, even though I am very very free. (Of course this is a hypothetical and probably not a problem for me, but nevertheless a serious potential issue).

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 11:45:35 pm »

There are other problems with default times. If Sunday afternoon is the one time a week I am unavailable, making that the default makes it so that I can't safely enter the tournament, even though I am very very free. (Of course this is a hypothetical and probably not a problem for me, but nevertheless a serious potential issue).

Sure.  I can probably come up with a bunch of other problems with default times as well.  It's why we won't be going there. :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

awildnoobappeared

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 07:33:02 am »
+1

awildnoobappeared drew with Mr. Anderson

I had a couple of bad games where I didn't know what I was doing, but the rest were hard fought and close. Thanks for the games Mr. Anderson, and best of luck for the coming rounds.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.505cc11ea2e6483e027bc556.1378541250325.txt
Cellar, Herbalist, Moat, Loan, Sage, Ironworks, Band of Misfits, Cache, Council Room, Treasury
Neither of us sees much besides Council Room BM, and I get to open with one. I buy a Cellar as well, which is probably a mistake, as using it costs me a turn 3 Silver. It's still close, as CR games tend to be, but I hit only $7 on turn 14 and Mr Anderson ends it next turn.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.505cc11ea2e6483e027bc556.1378541849258.txt
Embargo, Chancellor, Woodcutter, Spy, Bazaar, Festival, Horn of Plenty, Laboratory, Mandarin, Torturer
Confession: I love Torturer games, I almost always seem to do well in them.
We both go for it besides the villages being expensive, and both the Torturer and Bazaar piles disappear pretty fast. I figure that that probably means it's time to green with the Curses disappearing, and that turns out to be the right move. Turn 17 Mr Anderson lands a good chain while I have a rubbish hand, but that leaves a single Curse in the supply, and I buy it to end ahead.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.505cc11ea2e6483e027bc556.1378542611650.txt
Hermit, Masquerade, Storeroom, Island, Bazaar, Graverobber, Highway, Market, Mystic, Farmland
Pretty much a dream Highway/Market board, with all sorts of support. Neither of us use many of the cool support cards, though. I take a Hermit early, and a Madman turn from that helps me even out the Highway split. Eventually some Farmland shenanigans helps me end in front.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.505cc11ea2e6483e027bc556.1378543149725.txt
Oracle, Bridge, Death Cart, Gardens, Tournament, Catacombs, City, Ill-Gotten Gains, Merchant Ship, Altar
Don't know what I was thinking here, I go Tournament while Mr Anderson rushes IGGs and Gardens, and even though I get lucky with a Prize it doesn't help much.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.505cc11ea2e6483e027bc556.1378544208343.txt
Forager, Great Hall, Woodcutter, Bureaucrat, Quarry, Rats, Count, Jester, Pillage, Rogue
I try to trim my deck down with Rats and Forager in order to Rogue and Pillage, it doesn't achieve much against Mr Anderson's fairly simple Count and money strategy. It was funny to watch, but I'm kinda ashamed of this game.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.505cc11ea2e6483e027bc556.1378544805462.txt
Scrying Pool, Storeroom, Philosopher's Stone, JackOfAllTrades, Talisman, Thief, Cache, Count, Cultist, Jester
I run PStone/Storeroom against what turns out to be Cultist BM, and squeak a victory. I'm not sure I played this all that well as I wasn't able to get as many Stones as I wanted - it's the first time I've seen this combo. A lucky turn where I have Storeroom and 2 Stones gets me 2 Provinces late, and I can play an Abandoned Mine + Stone for exactly $8 to end the game.

Interesting note - second player won all of these games.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:30:19 pm by RTT »

Indur

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2013, 11:09:28 am »
+3

Indur vs. SirSlugma: 3.5 - 1.5

Some nice games, 1 boring (but very short) game, and one kingdom that was awesome, but terribly hard.

Short rundown.

1 Start: SirSlugma http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378560474923.txt
Loan, Shanty Town, Urchin, Baron, Bureaucrat, Quarry, City, Merchant Guild, Merchant Ship, Torturer

His opening of Shanty Town/Urchin/Urchin surprised me. Then again, my Urchin/Urchin/Urchin doesn't get me a Merc until turn 6, to his turn 5.
Rest of the game is pretty much a torturer battle until the curses run out. I go for Cities earlier than my opponent (he buys a first Province turn 17), and use my Mercenaries to turn curses into money into provinces on turns 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22. He tries to set up a megaturn with Merchant Guild, but doesn't have enough buys to overtake my lead.

1-0

2 Start: Indur http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378560891131.txt
Native Village, Chancellor, Scheme, Moneylender, Noble Brigand, Scout, City, Embassy, Mandarin, Mystic

Easily the most boring game of the match. I open 5/2 and, with no extra buys on the board, decide to go for Embassy big money right away, even though the silver will really help my opponent. I draw pretty well and buy gold on turns 4, 5 and 6. His second Embassy can't compete with my extra gold and silver.

2-0.

3 Start: Indur http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378561325539.txt
Chapel, Loan, Masquerade, Workshop, Bishop, Caravan, Remake, Remodel, Junk Dealer, Saboteur

Quite an interesting board, what with 8 kingdom cards that trash!
I decide to skip Chapel and open Masq/Silver. Opponent has 5/2 and goes for Masq/Chapel. Interesting! I scoop up an early Gold and a second Masquerade and some more Gold while he thins his deck and buys only some money before starting greening early; getting him a big lead. After turn 12 we both have 3 provinces and he has 2 Duchies to go with them. I decide to break PPR, both because a tie is not good enough for me as starting player, and I feel his deck is light on money. To do this I play masquerade, having to pass another one across the table to still reach 8. Ouch! Still I have good hopes. Then I draw a terrible hand of Province/Province/Silver/Silver/Gold, which means I have to pass him a silver when he plays Masquerade; dramatically increasing his chance of hitting 8. His masquerade apparently doesn't draw him enough to buy a province without passing me a Duchy, thus making it a tie. I'm not sure whether that was the best play here (especially if you're 2-0 behind in a tournament match). What do you think?

2.5-0.5

4 Start: SirSlugma: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378562349551.txt
University, Armory, Gardens, JackOfAllTrades, Nomad Camp, Band of Misfits, Cartographer, Stables, Adventurer, Possession

Interesting game I thought I had clinched, but which managed to just elude me in the last turn.
Opponent goes for University, which I thought was too slow. My 5/2 is not very good here, and I go for Band of Misfits, thinking to go straight for double Jack. I take a big lead in points, while he is sculpting his deck, picking up all 10 Stables and lots of cartographers. His first Possession hits a hand of Province/Province/Province/Copper/Copper, and I think I'm golden. However his Gardens steadily pick up value, and the one hand I have with 8 in the last couple of turns is Possessed away. His last turn he manages to hit 13, the extra Duchy giving him the 3 point lead and the win. I have a feeling I could have played this somewhat better, but grats to my opponent for going for this cool deck and winning with it!

2.5-1.5

5 Start: SirSlugma: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378563259628.txt
Secret Chamber, Stonemason, Scrying Pool, Hermit, Tunnel, Alchemist, Marauder, Remake, Bandit Camp

Really an awesome kingdom here, with quite a lot going for it. No +buys (well, maybe deeper in the Ruins pile), but Stonemason for shenanigans galore.
My opponent thought Scrying Pools would be too slow and opts to go for Silver/Remake. I feel like there is an engine in there that is good enough, and go for it. I'm lucky and hit 4P three times for lots of Scrying Pools and some stonemasons. Meanwhile, he stacks up on Nobles and Bandit Camps and again starts buying Provinces early.

Due to the lack of buys, and the fact that he has lots on Nobles, making it hard to rush provinces, I have to resort to an exotic engine that I really liked, generating Gold with Tunnels (via Scrying Pool/Secret Chamber) and Stonemasoning them into Duchies, while hitting 8 pretty much every turn. He tries to keep up buying/gaining lots of Nobles and Tunnels through Stonemason, but stays stuck at 2 provinces, sealing the deal.

I'm pretty sure we both played this one suboptimal, what with all the options available. Any thoughts on our decks?
Interesting side note: if the top Ruins had been the +buy one I might have opened Potion/Ruins here! :)

3.5-1.5

Thanks SirSlugma for the nice and pretty tense matches and for accommodating to my schedule. Good luck in the rest of the tournament.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:33:22 am by Indur »
“Memories are their own descendents masquerading as the ancestors of the present.”
--David Mitchell --

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2013, 11:29:52 am »
+1

Lost 3.5-1.5 against Indur.  I made a huge mistake in Game 3, but I think I was generally a little outplayed in the close matches.

Game 1: L, 21-44
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378560474923.txt
I'm still not sure the best way to get the Mercenaries going here, since they seem to be pretty good.  Too many Shanty Towns, and I couldn't line up my Mercenary with cards I wanted to trash and got behind.  I had to gamble on the big turn after I was down, but it was never going to happen.

Game 2: L, 31-39
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378560891131.txt
Embassy Big Money.  Not sure if there was much I could do here, his 5-2 was helpful and as he said, 2nd Embassy couldn't catch up to all the early Golds.

Game 3: 27-27 Tie
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378561325539.txt
Argh.  Opened with Masquerade because Masq BM just seemed like the thing to do on this board.  I got a little lucky with Chapel, and managed to get into a solid position with early Provinces.  Last hand I had 8 money + Duchy + Province after playing Masq, and stupidly miscalculated that I'd still win if I passed my Duchy.  Pretty awful mistake, and I end up drawing the game instead what should've been a win.

Game 4: W, 51-48
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378562349551.txt
Pretty happy about this one, I thought I'd have enough time to play catch up to a Big Money deck with the Gardens potential.  Band of Misfits is weird here, I can only play it as 2 terminals but its versatility as either a timely Jack, Nomad Camp, or Armory is not too shabby.  Bunches of Stables and Cartographers let me dig through my deck, and I end up sneaking out a win that I'm not sure if I deserved, but I'm happy to at least get a win.

Game 5: L, 42-59
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.5064086b0cf20d995bd2b5eb.1378563259628.txt
No +buy makes me question the viability of Scrying Pools, so I go for a pretty heavy money/Nobles thing.  But Stonemasoning Golds gained via Tunnel is a pretty awesome way to get points, and just catches up to my mediocre BM too fast.  Interesting board - Stonemason is always a challenging card to use optimally.

Thanks for the good games!

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »
+1

michaeljb defeats Polk 3-1

Thanks for the games, michaeljb. Sorry I didn't put up more of a fight!

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1378583266018.txt

We both try variations on Border Village-Bishop with Tactician and Pillage. He goes more heavy on Bishop early, I go more for Pillage.

Well, I miscounted at the end, but that wasn't what lost it for me here. My head was not in the game, and I Pillaged when he had a 3 card hand wasting the attack and then Bishoped away all of my treasures except for a Silver meaning I had to spend a few turns building back up. I don't know what I was thinking.

Game 2:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1378583841255.txt

Well, I land a nice Stonemason overpay to get 2 Wharfs early. This should make up for being second player! But the shuffle was not the greatest (both Wharfs on the last hand before the shuffle and a Squire the only card in the draw pile). I trigger a reshuffle playing a Wharf drawing the Squire and unluckily, the other one as well. I probably just shouldn't have played it, knowing the Squire was in the draw pile. Having so much miss the shuffle and be unplayable really hurt me.

Michael was able to win the Squire split by a mile and focus on Silver gaining into Feodum and a 3 pile win. I could not challenge him on Feodums because of the 3 pile threat. It really wasn't even close because of my bad deck management.

Game 3:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1378584345419.txt

Chapel, University, Mountebank, Wandering Minstrals, Conspirators, and Advisors for both of us. I am able to get a Colony first and a big enough VP lead to focus on empting piles.

Game 4:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1378584731838.txt

Well, Salvager into Apprentice for both of us. I feel like he won't be able to hit $16, so I leave 2 Provinces in the supply with the lead. He only needs one Apprentice, though, and Salvages the other to hit $17 and the match. If he didn't hit it he had enough money where he may have drawn enough even if he used the other Apprentice. I think this was bad play on my part to leave that window open. Oh, well.

Thanks for the match, michaeljb, it was a lot of fun. Good luck in the rest of the tournament.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2013, 09:24:31 pm »

First part of the Archetype vs. mail-mi match. 1-2 so far.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1378600847074.txt
Archetype wins

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1378601658381.txt
mail-mi wins

and then a third game for which i forgot to save the log: mail-mi wins.

First of all, i got incredibly lucky. 5/2 three times in a row!

first game: important cards: Apothecary, Nobles, Expand, Baron.

Not the best board for 5/2, i open potion/pearl diver to aim for an apothecary deck while Archetype opens Baron/Silver to spike some early Expands and Nobles. I don't get enough apothecaries, I stupidly grab baron for + buy instead of bridge, and his strategy is better than mine. He wins.

Second game: important cards: IGG.

I open 5/2 on an IGG board. 'Nuf said. I win

Third game: important cards: Mountebank, Sabotuer (!), Hamlet

Again, 5/2 with a $5 curser. We split curses 7/3 in my favor, and i grab one province before he has to leave to a party and resigned. He might have been able to catch up using his sabotuers, but we'll never know now. He gives me the win.

Fun games so far!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »
+2

Thanks to ashersky for the great series!

WalrusMcFishSr: 4 - ashersky: 2

Game 1:
ashersky: 36 - WalrusMcFishSr: 33
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130906/log.51257fd4e4b0a147e28eeb56.1378524892834.txt

A tight game but not much to say about it...he is able to use Remake and Transmute to win the Duchy split, and by the time the Duchies and Estates are out things are so sloggy that I can't hit 8. Even my opponent has trouble hitting 3 for a couple turns before he can finally buy out the Sages to win.

Game 2:
WalrusMcFishSr: 34 - ashersky: 29
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130906/log.51257fd4e4b0a147e28eeb56.1378525701854.txt

Wharf! Torturer! Tactician! Haggler! Knights!
And none of that matters at all because we just piledrive Minions and Cities then race for points!
Things get a little more interesting at the end when Colonies are Embargoed, but eventually I'm able to snag the remaining Estates and win. Very volatile game though.

Game 3:
WalrusMcFishSr: 25 - ashersky: 28
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.51257fd4e4b0a147e28eeb56.1378628735012.txt

I imagine that my primary mistake here was buying Jester over Cultist on my first $5. I thought that Masquerade would be able to handle the Ruins more effectively. Still ends up close though.

Game 4:
ashersky: 30 - WalrusMcFishSr: 34
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.51257fd4e4b0a147e28eeb56.1378629380221.txt

About halfway through this game I was sure I was going to lose for underestimating Cultist again. This time I opened Young Witch/Urchin and picked up a couple of Mercenaries, along with a couple Wharves (no village though). Somehow though my deck turns around and I'm able to clear out the Ruins and accelerate through to a win.

Game 5:
ashersky: 33 - WalrusMcFishSr: 33
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.51257fd4e4b0a147e28eeb56.1378629937351.txt

I won this game probably entirely because my opponent opened Graverobber, which he immediately acknowledged as a mistake/misclick. Meanwhile I go with the more conventional Fool's Gold/Horse Traders. FG and Cities run quickly, followed by an explosive ending.

Game 6:
WalrusMcFishSr: 43 - ashersky: 42
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.51257fd4e4b0a147e28eeb56.1378630810788.txt

Pretty typical Wharf game. My opponent tries something fancy with Procession which actually seems to work well, but I just keep building instead. It's possible that I burned through my Mining Villages too quickly at the end of the game, and at one point I'm one coin away from double Farmland to win, but I still manage the victory.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2013, 04:31:20 pm »
+2

After a full day of IRL Dominion at the Dutch championship I still have the energy to play some virtual cardboard in the form of Gokodom. My opponent is jaybeez.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1378670941946.txt
Apothecary, Woodcutter, Workshop, Philosopher's Stone, Coppersmith, Ironworks, Moneylender, Navigator, Stash, Adventurer
jaybeez builds a very clever Apothecary chain opening Potion/Woodcutter. It seems like it's going to destroy my Moneylender big money deck, but his deck starts to stall hard in the end game and Adventurer wins me this pretty awkward first game.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1378669853345.txt
Horse Traders, Scavenger, Thief, Apprentice, City, Explorer, Mine, Rabble, Rogue, Expand
The engine doesn't look that amazing, but Rabble big money isn't that great either. The difference in our engines is the Mine I get while he gets Rogues.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1378670348161.txt
Develop, Village, Feast, Mining Village, Bazaar, Embassy, Festival, Mountebank, Wharf, Bank
Strong cards here. I open Silver/Silver to my opponent's Develop/Feast. I go for 2 Mountebanks first, Wharves later and sprinkle in some Villages. I seem to be winning easily as I pump 6 Curses into his deck, but on the last reshuffle my terminal actions decide to clump together and those dead turns are enough for jaybeez to squeak out a win.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.505da8ce51c359e6597efefa.1378670941946.txt
Crossroads, Masterpiece, Smugglers, Navigator, Bandit Camp, Catacombs, Torturer, Adventurer, Farmland, Peddler
A pretty straightforward Village/Torturer game with Bandit Camp and Crossroads for Village. We both open Smugglers/Silver. Now it's his turn to get terminals without Villages. I get ahead on points and I can gain Curses from Torturers for a 3-pile ending.

I win 3-1. Thx for playing, jaybeez.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2013, 06:01:53 pm »

First part of the Archetype vs. mail-mi match. 1-2 so far.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1378600847074.txt
Archetype wins

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130907/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1378601658381.txt
mail-mi wins

and then a third game for which i forgot to save the log: mail-mi wins.

First of all, i got incredibly lucky. 5/2 three times in a row!

first game: important cards: Apothecary, Nobles, Expand, Baron.

Not the best board for 5/2, i open potion/pearl diver to aim for an apothecary deck while Archetype opens Baron/Silver to spike some early Expands and Nobles. I don't get enough apothecaries, I stupidly grab baron for + buy instead of bridge, and his strategy is better than mine. He wins.

Second game: important cards: IGG.

I open 5/2 on an IGG board. 'Nuf said. I win

Third game: important cards: Mountebank, Sabotuer (!), Hamlet

Again, 5/2 with a $5 curser. We split curses 7/3 in my favor, and i grab one province before he has to leave to a party and resigned. He might have been able to catch up using his sabotuers, but we'll never know now. He gives me the win.

Fun games so far!

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130908/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1378677391553.txt

Last game. Important cards: Lab, Pillage, Militia, Stonemason

A lab deck for both of us with Spice Merchant for light trashing. I pick up a Militia and a gold, which I really think gave me the win. I picked up an extra spice merchant, not noticing the embargo token on it, and also in turn 18 I click "End Turn" on accident, denying me the last province!!!!!!! ARGH GOKO! anyway, he can't pick it up either, and I win.

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2013, 04:24:21 am »

I just found a WLAN spot, so I can play even before the weekend + just responded to my opponent, to set up a meeting time. So please, don't request a bye for me! I am active! I play! Promised! ;)

Indeed, that's the problem; it's one of the reasons that the due date is Monday near noon in Europe, so that everyone has a chance to use Sunday.

This hasn't been a problem in past seasons of the tournament, oddly, so I'm not entirely certain what's happening now--especially since we're out of summer.  I suspect part of it is to do with the larger number of players.

Lotoreo:  If you won't be available to even converse to set up a time until the weekend, you should request a bye.  In fact, I'll put you in right now as requesting a bye.

Stealth Tomato:  I agree that more specifics on this for future tournaments would be good although, as I noted, it's never really been that much of a problem.  I think I may have to set up a cutoff time for scheduling the match, say, by Thursday.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2013, 10:22:50 pm »

Funny that the StealthTomato game is basically massive gold gain vs. massive gold gain.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 3.137 seconds with 20 queries.