Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: GokoDom II: Round 4 Discussion Thread  (Read 23140 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom II: Round 4 Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 02:21:52 pm »

Game 3
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1378404193742.txt
A Rebuild game with Feodum and Knights.  That was enough to make me think twice about going pure Rebuild.  Eevee goes pure Rebuild, I go for Feoda and a Knight to try and trash some of his Duchies.  After getting setup cards, I start aiming at getting Duchies before he can.  Soon enough, Eevee doesn't have enough Duchies to Rebuild for the win and my Feoda are worth enough points to protect me in the event he spikes a Province.
3-0

So here's a question: should the knight have been Rebuild? You only trashed a Silver the whole game. And she got you a Feodum with the +$2. Another Rebuild would have done something similar. If so, this still looks an awful lot like pure Rebuild.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:35 pm »

Game 3
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1378404193742.txt
A Rebuild game with Feodum and Knights.  That was enough to make me think twice about going pure Rebuild.  Eevee goes pure Rebuild, I go for Feoda and a Knight to try and trash some of his Duchies.  After getting setup cards, I start aiming at getting Duchies before he can.  Soon enough, Eevee doesn't have enough Duchies to Rebuild for the win and my Feoda are worth enough points to protect me in the event he spikes a Province.
3-0

So here's a question: should the knight have been Rebuild? You only trashed a Silver the whole game. And she got you a Feodum with the +$2. Another Rebuild would have done something similar. If so, this still looks an awful lot like pure Rebuild.

I don't think so.  If the Knight hadn't whiffed twice it would have hurt him quite a lot.  Losing even one Duchy is a big deal in a Rebuild game, and losing a Rebuild just as much so.  It helps that it was Dame Sylvia.  Had it been Sir Vander or something, you're probably right.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 02:31:23 pm »
+1

Stealth Tomato 3 - 0 MarkowKette

The string of mediocrity ends! Thanks for the [rather abbreviated] match, MK.

Stealth Tomato 30 - 28 MarkowKette
Confession time: I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't notice we were playing with Shelters. I ended up with a pure Rebuild deck vs. a pure Cultist deck. MK essentially conceded the Duchies (probably a major mistake) and I killed the Estate pile with a slight points edge and Ruins and Duchies gone.

Stealth Tomato 30 - RES MarkowKette
Crazy board. I go Market Square-Chapel vs. Young Witch-Tunnel... MK fails to notice Apprentice on the board, which allows me to go crazy with Golds.
I have no idea how MS-Chapel would stack up to YW-Tunnel on a similar board without Apprentice... I'm inclined to think it still wins, but I'm less sure.

Stealth Tomato 47 - 38 MarkowKette
Young Witch again! With a crappy Bane! I get an early $5 and Soothsayer, while MK sticks with the single YW and attacks Wharves. The Soothsayer gives me a Curse edge and some Gold to go with my slightly later Wharves, and smooth drawing lets me ride to victory.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 03:36:46 pm »

HME/DA, why not Hermit/Madman/MarketSquare game 2? I mean, it would not surprise me to hear 'oh it just isn't good here', but I would like to know the reason WHY not, since it seems really good in general.

Yeah, it looks pretty strong to me, there. There's nothing to get in the way of it, and nothing like lightning fast to beat it.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't Hermit/MS just not very strong in a mirror?  Getting 5 of each just isn't going to cut it for a single mega-turn, and if one person goes after it (and both know the combo), then the other person has to try to counter it.

I mean, HME has 5 Provinces on T12 here, which is pretty darn fast.  There's a reasonable chance Hermit/MS won't be able to go off before T12.

Actually I don't know good benchmarks for how fast Hermit/MS combo is. I've only tried it twice and lost both times. I'm not sure if getting an Apothecary along with it is better or worse than Hermit/Hermit opening or what. I figured I can draw my whole deck with Apothecary anyway, so is Madman really worth the trouble? I guess it probably is if you can get tons of Gold, but I don't know that I'd personally have done better going for it. It's probably one of those things that I should go solo a bunch to get a better feel for it.

It fires on Turn 12 and gets more than half the VP.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »

The mirror is a completely different though and typically 3-piles as opposed to depleting the Provinces.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »

The mirror is a completely different though and typically 3-piles as opposed to depleting the Provinces.

Of course, but this wasn't a mirror. Neither player went for it, which is mildly incomprehensible to me. It's really quite strong.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 10:46:52 pm »
+3

eliegel over Mic Qsenoch 3-0

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1378432861673.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1378433619092.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1378434440836.txt

I got a stupid amount of luck in the series, so sorry Mic Q.  I feel like i should be posting these in Dear my opponent I'm sorry thread, not goko dom.  More on that in the discussion thread.

Game 1
This was a surprisingly interesting set for something with IGG. There is fairly strong trashing, among other things.  Mic Q goes for Hermit/Hermit opening while I go Hermit/Swindler.  I wanted to go for IGG with hermits trashing and silver flooding.  I was hoping to get an IGG on the first shuffle, but got the trashing I wanted.  I was afraid that MicQ would just plow through the Curses with double hermit in a JoAT sort of way.  The only upside is that with him eating all the curses, they slow him down a little, and I still have a pretty strong money deck.  MicQ breaks PPR, and I happen to have 8 to win.  This was a very close game and could have gone either way.  I'm not sure which of our strats would win if we played this way 100 times. Sadly, this was our only good game.

Game 2
Strong trashing from Steward, and Tournament makes for a very swingy game.  We both open double steward, but mine split into T3/T4 while MicQ gets both in T4.  I think I have a huge lead from just that alone.  I am able to save up coin tokens for a quick Province and all the prizes with my thinner deck.  I build my deck quite a bit, and we both head for Vineyards.  MicQ just got rotten luck on this.

Game 3
We both open Black Market/Potion to head for Familiar.  This is also a really luck based set.  There are really strong engine components, so whoever got trashing out of the BM first would likely win.  I pull Chapel from the BM on T7 and the game is pretty much over. Normally a T7 chapel is terrible, but in a slog with squire tricks and strong engine components, its crazy good. I slowly clean my deck while MicQ tries to pile Estates.  I'm able to recover my deck before he can end it. 

Overall I'm sad that we didn't get some good games.  MicQ is a really good player, so Its pretty crazy to beat him 3-0.  I feel like I have actually had good luck against MicQ for like a year now.  I remember going about 40/60 (his favor) against him when we first started playing, which is way better than I deserved as I was maybe level 30 and he was nearly 50. 

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 11:02:16 pm »
+2

eliegel over Mic Qsenoch 3-0

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1378432861673.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1378433619092.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1378434440836.txt

I got a stupid amount of luck in the series, so sorry Mic Q.  I feel like i should be posting these in Dear my opponent I'm sorry thread, not goko dom.  More on that in the discussion thread.

In Game 1 I honestly thought I was going to win easily. It seems like Hermit is a good IGG counter, but I hit $7 hands too often and he suddenly hits three Provinces in a row (which isn't actually strange because he has a lot of IGG, but I wasn't expecting it). I think my turn 14 Gold should be a Duchy despite the large number of Provinces remaining. At the end I buy the penultimate Province when I really needed to just wait a little longer and clear out some curses/gain estates with Hermits until I am in a better position with VP. My thinking at the time was that I wasn't going to gain any ground Duchy dancing because we both should hit $5 very consistently, but I forgot to consider how my Hermits could help me gain back a VP lead. I really think my general approach is better here, but I don't like my endgame decisions at all.

Game 2 is the soul-crushing nightmare game where you fall behind (I have Steward collision) and it is obvious that your opponent will win, unless he plays very poorly. You can't even hope for a bad draw for them because strong trashing has eliminated that possibility. But you feel obligated to keep playing just in case, and I found myself going on tilt here. He doesn't play it poorly (no surprise), though I think Princess is hands down the best prize here and should be picked up first, but certainly before Followers. It doesn't matter though and I resign eventually (I should have resigned sooner).

Game 3 has Familiar and Black Market with good engine parts in Squire/Rabble/Farming Village/HoP. He pulls Chapel out of the BM and that more or less seals it. I may have botched this one a bit with the Silver gains from Squire, I'm not really sure how I should proceed with my deck building, I don't think I can cobble together much of an engine (at least not faster than he can), so I just try to put a little money in my deck. My only chance to win that I see is three-piling the Estates quickly, but then he has a Province. I resign in frustration during one of his turns, though you can see from the logs that this was really stupid because he had a somewhat dead turn, and I should have at least given myself a chance to make the dream draw and clear Estates. It isn't likely but it takes maybe ten more seconds of my life, but I didn't try because I was annoyed with the Dominion gods.

Thanks for the match eliegel, you definitely played well enough to deserve the win, I just wish the games could have been a bit more competitive. I apologize for not being a great sport after some of the games/match.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »

I apologize for not being a great sport after some of the games/match.

No worries, I'd be pretty frustrated if I had seen the kind of shuffles you did. 

I think you are right about game 1, if you had continued to Duchy dance, you would have had me.  My deck was getting worse slowly from copper gains, and yours was improving fairly steadily. 

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 12:09:33 am »

HME/DA, why not Hermit/Madman/MarketSquare game 2? I mean, it would not surprise me to hear 'oh it just isn't good here', but I would like to know the reason WHY not, since it seems really good in general.

Yeah, it looks pretty strong to me, there. There's nothing to get in the way of it, and nothing like lightning fast to beat it.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't Hermit/MS just not very strong in a mirror?  Getting 5 of each just isn't going to cut it for a single mega-turn, and if one person goes after it (and both know the combo), then the other person has to try to counter it.

I mean, HME has 5 Provinces on T12 here, which is pretty darn fast.  There's a reasonable chance Hermit/MS won't be able to go off before T12.

Actually I don't know good benchmarks for how fast Hermit/MS combo is. I've only tried it twice and lost both times. I'm not sure if getting an Apothecary along with it is better or worse than Hermit/Hermit opening or what. I figured I can draw my whole deck with Apothecary anyway, so is Madman really worth the trouble? I guess it probably is if you can get tons of Gold, but I don't know that I'd personally have done better going for it. It's probably one of those things that I should go solo a bunch to get a better feel for it.

Is this solitaire, or if your opponent contests Hermits? Like if I open Potion/Hermit, am I dead to properly played mass Hermit?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 12:14:34 am »

Is this solitaire, or if your opponent contests Hermits? Like if I open Potion/Hermit, am I dead to properly played mass Hermit?

If you open Potion/Hermit, you are definitely off on the wrong footing to execute the combo. You should open Hermit/Hermit.

If you are going for the Hermit/MS thing, and your opponent contests some of the stuff, it's okay. I mean, he probably can't get SO many Hermits that he hurts you, because then he's really just going for the combo himself but badly. Contesting MS is probably easier for them (since they are cantrips). But generally I don't think it's too easy to contest the combo guy's cards while not going for the combo yourself, and somehow win.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 02:58:44 am »
+2

Stuff you don't notice until you start editing a Dominon recording; the background of Goko changes as you play! It goes from morning to night and back, very slowly.

Generally, a lot of the boards were swingy, and I mean a lot. Overall luck ended up even across the series, but we traded turns at winning.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378416941465.txt
Don't remember this game that well. There's Cultist and Altar. I get behind when it comes to picking up Altar, and decide to rush Duchies because Cultist and Ruins are going to run it. Maybe I should have stuck to Provinces, but in retrospect I think the Duchy call is better, Altar is too good at emptying it.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378418047200.txt
Familiar exists. I get 5/2. WW gets more Lookouts early and I keep justifying not getting it over a more expensive card, which helps him catch up but not quite enough.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378418943650.txt
Ambassador, King's Court, Worker's Village, Journeyman, and Poor House to get money. I open Worker's/Amb, reasoning that Shanty Town isn't a great +Actions for when you're thinning your deck. I don't Amb/Amb because Amb/Amb has more trouble hitting $4. I feel like Worker's/Amb is worth getting behind 1 Amb play, but looking at WW's video he gets some not so great luck, whereas my hands are pretty solid.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378420034847.txt
There's a definite engine here. I misplay by picking up Highways when I should be buying Margrave and Plaza to make my deck consistent. Too focused on payload instead of making sure I can actually use that payload. Anyways, WW gets Mountebank from Black Market. I get a Soothsayer later from BM, but it's not the best Curser because I don't want those Golds.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378420675617.txt
I go for a Pirate Ship engine, which is an awful call. There's no +Buy. There's no way to increase hand size except for Moat, which you can't pick up easily. There's no trashing. And there's Soothsayer. So why do I go for it? Well, I reason that with Soothsayer giving Gold, my Pirate Ships will almost always hit, so maybe I can make it work. While this is true, I don't pick up nearly enough ships, and Curses hurt too much. Although I get $8 with surprising consistency later, it's too late for me to catch up.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378421489437.txt
Swindler game, my Swindler keeps hitting Silvers and turning them into Black Markets and it ruins WW's money supply. Get big lead for no good reason and end on a win.

Not the most interesting boards, I'd say the Margrave engine was probably the best one. You can watch my recording at when it finishing processing, but warning, the audio levels are kinda bad. (Edit: ended up deleting the video, I forgot to edit some private info out and I already deleted the raw file so I can't remove it easily.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:27:12 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 03:01:18 am »
+2

Weird games. Interesting ones, though.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1378448461454.txt
University, Tunnel, Coppersmith, Ironworks, Island, Mining Village, Cartographer, Graverobber, Market, Outpost
We both open Potion here; I don't think there's much you can do besides University, and Graverobber certainly adds to that desire. I feel good that I have a $4 hand to pick up Ironworks (for Islands) during my next shuffle. Belatedly, I become more interested in Cartographer/Tunnel, and go for lots of Cartographers and mainly that. My opponent gets a million Graverobber and really just wants to Graverobber Graverobbers and Markets and Cartographers and win that way. There's no draw though, so I think both of us are just kind of dependent on luck carrying through for our strategies. He seems to fizzle hard off some unfortunate draws at the end, and I take the victory.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1378448968712.txt
Hamlet, Stonemason, Spy, City, Jester, Junk Dealer, Venture, Fairgrounds, Hoard, Nobles
There's a couple neat interactions here. There's Hoard with Nobles and Fairgrounds. And Stonemason! What a card. We both open Silver/Silver. What I want to do is get big SM hands for double Junk Dealers and double Cities and eventually double Nobles. Well, I don't draw enough money for that, and have to settle for some double Hamlets. By the time I am ready to do better SM stuff, he already has JD and Jester and I just feel really behind. Hamlets are already low, though, so I head straight for Cities. No time for Hoard. I feel like his deck is just really a ton better than mine when he buys the last City. Then I pull the dirtiest SM trick in the book. I have 3 of them, and I can play all 3, and so I SM 3 Silvers into the last Hamlet and the last 5 (!) SMs. And I buy 2 Estates for the piles win. This was robbery, but it felt good.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1378449740498.txt
Herbalist, Squire, Vagrant, Chancellor, Sage, Swindler, Talisman, Rogue, Altar, Border Village, Colony, Platinum
He has the 5/2, which I think is probably not so great here. But neither is the 3/4, particularly--this is just a really, really weak Colony board. I open Swindler/Talisman, because there are a lot of nice, cheap cards (Squire and Sage and Swindler, mostly), and there's like nothing at $5+ I'm so excited to get. I figure lots of Squires will be nice defense against any Swindlers I assume he will eventually get. That turns out very true; at least twice he Swindles my Squires into Estates and Swindler/Rogues. I have a million Squires. Anyway, he gets lots of Rogues, which just aren't good here, because I don't have any cards that I really need very badly. I'm mainly just Silver flooding from Squire and adding terminals when needed. He swindles a Silver into a Chancellor--the Chancellor actually helps me a couple times, when I have already seen my Platinum and want to get back to it. I cruise to an easy, crushing piles win.

Robz 3-0 kn1tt3r

I don't feel like I played quite as well as the lopsided score indicates, but I did vigorously punish a few errors in my opponents execution. On weird boards like these, that can be enough.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 03:18:10 am »
+3

Weird games. Interesting ones, though.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1378448461454.txt
University, Tunnel, Coppersmith, Ironworks, Island, Mining Village, Cartographer, Graverobber, Market, Outpost
We both open Potion here; I don't think there's much you can do besides University, and Graverobber certainly adds to that desire. I feel good that I have a $4 hand to pick up Ironworks (for Islands) during my next shuffle. Belatedly, I become more interested in Cartographer/Tunnel, and go for lots of Cartographers and mainly that. My opponent gets a million Graverobber and really just wants to Graverobber Graverobbers and Markets and Cartographers and win that way. There's no draw though, so I think both of us are just kind of dependent on luck carrying through for our strategies. He seems to fizzle hard off some unfortunate draws at the end, and I take the victory.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1378448968712.txt
Hamlet, Stonemason, Spy, City, Jester, Junk Dealer, Venture, Fairgrounds, Hoard, Nobles
There's a couple neat interactions here. There's Hoard with Nobles and Fairgrounds. And Stonemason! What a card. We both open Silver/Silver. What I want to do is get big SM hands for double Junk Dealers and double Cities and eventually double Nobles. Well, I don't draw enough money for that, and have to settle for some double Hamlets. By the time I am ready to do better SM stuff, he already has JD and Jester and I just feel really behind. Hamlets are already low, though, so I head straight for Cities. No time for Hoard. I feel like his deck is just really a ton better than mine when he buys the last City. Then I pull the dirtiest SM trick in the book. I have 3 of them, and I can play all 3, and so I SM 3 Silvers into the last Hamlet and the last 5 (!) SMs. And I buy 2 Estates for the piles win. This was robbery, but it felt good.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1378449740498.txt
Herbalist, Squire, Vagrant, Chancellor, Sage, Swindler, Talisman, Rogue, Altar, Border Village, Colony, Platinum
He has the 5/2, which I think is probably not so great here. But neither is the 3/4, particularly--this is just a really, really weak Colony board. I open Swindler/Talisman, because there are a lot of nice, cheap cards (Squire and Sage and Swindler, mostly), and there's like nothing at $5+ I'm so excited to get. I figure lots of Squires will be nice defense against any Swindlers I assume he will eventually get. That turns out very true; at least twice he Swindles my Squires into Estates and Swindler/Rogues. I have a million Squires. Anyway, he gets lots of Rogues, which just aren't good here, because I don't have any cards that I really need very badly. I'm mainly just Silver flooding from Squire and adding terminals when needed. He swindles a Silver into a Chancellor--the Chancellor actually helps me a couple times, when I have already seen my Platinum and want to get back to it. I cruise to an easy, crushing piles win.

Robz 3-0 kn1tt3r

I don't feel like I played quite as well as the lopsided score indicates, but I did vigorously punish a few errors in my opponents execution. On weird boards like these, that can be enough.
Just uploading videos of this mess. *g*

Game 1 is quite interesting, but I probably need to prefer Cartographers over Markets a lot more than I did. Robz benefited from his lots of Islands he got early, so I never had a lead when there was a chance to end the game. Finally his deck was somewhat better than mine, I failed to align my key cards, and that's it.

Game 2 went quite well for me but I made a key mistake in the endgame by emptying the Cities and giving him the chance to do this neat trick. It probably was robbery, because my deck was better, but I sort of brought it on myself.

Game 3 was horribly played by me. Acutally 5/2 is not THAT bad, because Swindler/Squire is a decent opening, but I let it drag me into some Rogue thing that never really worked out, like at all. There is no draw: Bad for Rogues. He goes wildly for Squires and Silvers: Bad for Rogues. I mean, I hit $5 a lot, but that's no excuse of course. To even top that folly I get an Altar which was maybe even worse than Rogues, because it just served me to get... Rogues. Yeah. So, probably Swindler/Money is the best thing to do here, which he sort of did (along with his Squire armada) and I did not. I currently can't think of a more deserved loss for me than in this game.

Well done Robz, you played well and punished my mistakes brutally. Good luck for the coming games.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 05:10:47 am »

Just watched the videos. Very interesting, thanks for recording!

For anyone who is interested, here's our match. I do recommend the vids. The games were strange ones.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 06:50:50 am »
+2

Gruhah vs pst

Game 1 with Oracle, Scheme, Workshop, Horse Traders, Thief, Cartographer, Junk Dealer, Market, Mystic, Witch. Grujah wins.

Game 2 with Transmute, Duchess (bane), Moat, University, Market Square, Horse Traders, Young Witch, Highway, Hunting Party, Junk Dealer, Market. pst wins.

Game 3 with Duchess, Develop, Oracle, Silk Road, Spice Merchant, Festival, Hunting Party, Market, Fairgrounds, Nobles. pst wins.

Game 4 with Cellar, Duchess, Moat, Scheme, Farming Village, Noble Brigand, Remake, Throne Room, Catacombs, Rebuild. Grujah wins a Rebuild mirror where I stupidly don't buy a late Estate, thinking that it's all about getting that last Province anyway, so Grujah can win by rebuilding a Prov into the last Prov.

Game 5 with Workshop, Feast, Nomad Camp, Remodel, Smithy, Cache, Embassy, Inn, Mystic, Stables; and Shelters. Grujah wins.

Game 6 with Herbalist, Cache, Cartographer, Catacombs, Highway, Junk Dealer, Laboratory, Rebuild, Witch, Nobles; and Shelters. pst wins.

So it's a tie 3–3.

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 09:28:56 am »

I am not sure where to put this, so I will try it here, sorry for the off-topic.
I am away next week until Friday or early Saturday, therefor I can only play my gokodom games on Saturday Evening / Sunday. Since I don't know my opponent yet, I would need somebody who informs my opponent on that, once the matching is done.

Would be nice if someone of you could do that (if my opponent does not read this message anyway.. ;) )

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 09:49:31 am »
+1

Stuff you don't notice until you start editing a Dominon recording; the background of Goko changes as you play! It goes from morning to night and back, very slowly!

I just... I don't know what to say about this.  Really?  They spent actual programming time on something no one noticed until running a game in fast forward?  What. The. Fuck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:12 am »

Stuff you don't notice until you start editing a Dominon recording; the background of Goko changes as you play! It goes from morning to night and back, very slowly!

I just... I don't know what to say about this.  Really?  They spent actual programming time on something no one noticed until running a game in fast forward?  What. The. Fuck.

How did you not notice?  :o

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 10:18:44 am »
+1

How did you not notice?  :o

I guess because I pay attention to the cards and the game and not the useless stuff in the background?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 11:37:40 am »

In my match against Breezy D (nice and tense one, by the way), there was a strange degenerate game that I would like to share

Kingdom : Scrying Pool, Menagerie, Farming Village, Mining Village, Moneylender, Pirate Ship, Wandering Minstrel, Embassy, Mine, Stables

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130906/log.516d321ae4b082c74d7b345d.1378479819785.txt

Is going for massive Pirate Ships really the best option here ?
Designer of Chronos Conquest

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:03 pm »
+1

Short notes for my game with Ednever. We had lots of close games with tough endgame purchasing so apologies to Ed if I spent too much time looking at his draw pile, my draw pile, last turns hands, etc. We started with a troublesome game where I started 5/2 on simple wharf treasure and he started 4/3 for ambassador/ironmongers and when my connection wobbled Goko froze and we couldn't predict a result. I had vp lead and he had three possessions so who knows.

DG 48 : 38 Ednever http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130905/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1378427901688.txt
missing log for an Ednever win
DG 83 : 58 Ednever http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130905/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1378429646678.txt
DG 24 : 23 Ednever http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130905/log.516d0e09e4b082c74d7aacc1.1378431252025.txt

Game 1 - I suspected that the apothecaries wouldn't be decisively good and would clog despite the farming villages so I went for a more sustainable money deck. I guess we both drew badly and it did indeed turn into a stupidly long game.
Game 2 - was apprentices and tournaments. It looked like Ednever was getting a clear win with the first three prizes but my deck had gold and a chance to win. Unfortunately when clearing the chat window I somehow clicked the 'end actions button' and that was that.
Game 3 - Neatest of the games I think. Gold accumulation in a colony game beats a few platinum.
Game 4 - We both run a tactician/forge thing. I take wishing wells and he takes silvers but it probably turns on his tactician drawing earlier to give a lead but not a big enough lead to defeat first turn advantage. I did deliberately leave a forge in my deck for the final turn but that's about all.

Ednever's getting married soon so lets wish him the best. He's got better things to do this week than play Dominion.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:06:11 pm by DG »

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:26 pm »

I am not sure where to put this, so I will try it here, sorry for the off-topic.
I am away next week until Friday or early Saturday, therefor I can only play my gokodom games on Saturday Evening / Sunday. Since I don't know my opponent yet, I would need somebody who informs my opponent on that, once the matching is done.

Would be nice if someone of you could do that (if my opponent does not read this message anyway.. ;) )

There needs to be some guidance on this sort of situation and requesting byes. I got two consecutive opponents with this problem, one of whom I managed to play my match with and the other I did not. Should people be requesting byes if they will be 100% unavailable and uncontactable for more than half the week?

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »

Well, I still hope that I WILL be able to play, thats why I post here. Maybe I could be assigned to an opponent who is okay with playing on the weekend?

Anyway I do not want to keep my oponent waiting the whole week for me to respond, so Stealth Tomato, since you already responded to my comment, can you send my appologies to my opponent on Monday? I will then contact him personally on Saturday latest..

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 04:53:56 pm »
+1

Stuff you don't notice until you start editing a Dominon recording; the background of Goko changes as you play! It goes from morning to night and back, very slowly.

Generally, a lot of the boards were swingy, and I mean a lot. Overall luck ended up even across the series, but we traded turns at winning.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378416941465.txt
Don't remember this game that well. There's Cultist and Altar. I get behind when it comes to picking up Altar, and decide to rush Duchies because Cultist and Ruins are going to run it. Maybe I should have stuck to Provinces, but in retrospect I think the Duchy call is better, Altar is too good at emptying it.
So, I basically just get the lead on the cultists here. I think your first 7 should be an altar, I make a couple cute plays, but you know, I think you are just going to have an extremely hard (likely impossible) time trying to win this one with the luck.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378418047200.txt
Familiar exists. I get 5/2. WW gets more Lookouts early and I keep justifying not getting it over a more expensive card, which helps him catch up but not quite enough.
No, no, *I* get the 5/2. But anyway I think the big thing was the 2p on my second drawing of the potion, which leads to a very bad curse split. Royal Seal is surprisingly good here. My lookouts were did less than I think I could reasonably expect, certainly much less than I'd hoped. But well, you also didn't play badly.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378418943650.txt
Ambassador, King's Court, Worker's Village, Journeyman, and Poor House to get money. I open Worker's/Amb, reasoning that Shanty Town isn't a great +Actions for when you're thinning your deck. I don't Amb/Amb because Amb/Amb has more trouble hitting $4. I feel like Worker's/Amb is worth getting behind 1 Amb play, but looking at WW's video he gets some not so great luck, whereas my hands are pretty solid.
This one is absolutely luck, I am fairly sure. I like my strategy better, but this game isn't an indication either way - the thing is, I lose based on a deck-size-war loss, and there's next to nothing else I could have done about that...

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378420034847.txt
There's a definite engine here. I misplay by picking up Highways when I should be buying Margrave and Plaza to make my deck consistent. Too focused on payload instead of making sure I can actually use that payload. Anyways, WW gets Mountebank from Black Market. I get a Soothsayer later from BM, but it's not the best Curser because I don't want those Golds.
So yeah, you need to build the draw engine first. But I don't know how much it would have mattered given the mountebank pull...

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378420675617.txt
I go for a Pirate Ship engine, which is an awful call. There's no +Buy. There's no way to increase hand size except for Moat, which you can't pick up easily. There's no trashing. And there's Soothsayer. So why do I go for it? Well, I reason that with Soothsayer giving Gold, my Pirate Ships will almost always hit, so maybe I can make it work. While this is true, I don't pick up nearly enough ships, and Curses hurt too much. Although I get $8 with surprising consistency later, it's too late for me to catch up.
This is the general pirate ship issue. Wow, one game which was actually decided by gameplay differences, huzzah!

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130905/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1378421489437.txt
Swindler game, my Swindler keeps hitting Silvers and turning them into Black Markets and it ruins WW's money supply. Get big lead for no good reason and end on a win.
Actually I am not sure that this one is so much luck. I *feel* like it is, but then there aren't THAT many times I think I got shafted by luck. More that you had the money hands come together for province which seemed magical to me, but even at the time, I knew it objectively can't be that far off the norm.

Edit: to be fair, there were some games which seemed to be luck-driven where there were definitely other options to go for - I am looking at you, game where I open Royal Seal.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:10:31 pm by WanderingWinder »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.024 seconds with 20 queries.