Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Confused about how I lost this one.  (Read 3698 times)

Lord Bottington

• Pawn
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
    • Goko
Confused about how I lost this one.
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »
+49

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130903/log.505c7f4ca2e6c78ad2ed5ba1.1378258447764.txt

Kingdom: Ambassador, *Wishing Well*, Bishop, Bureaucrat, JackOfAllTrades, Rats, Sea Hag, Young Witch, Explorer, Saboteur, Fairgrounds

The first thing I notice is cursing, obviously - Sea Hag or Young Witch. I have a look at other options on the board, and decide YW is likely stronger here, and decide to open Wishing Well/YW (Wishing Well is the bane, I expect my opponent to open at least YW+something). Instead he opens with a pretty odd Ambassador/Rats, okay, I'm thinking I'll win this one after I see that.

The game proceeds pretty normally, although my opponent starts doing some odd things - Playing rats, trashing some stuff, then Ambassadoring over extra Rats. I'm a little confused, but take advantage of the new rats to clear out my coppers and estates and stuff, it's pretty handy.

I'm still expecting my opponent to get a YW at some point, so I stock up on extra Wishing Wells. They're also pretty useful in my deck anyway - before too long I'll be able to wish for Rats pretty successfully! But don't worry, I'm careful about playing them - only when I have something bad to trash.

And that's when things start to get a bit odd. Noticing the Wishing Wells are out (and I won the split, which should be a significant advantage?), I start greening, grabbing a Duchy with my $5 hand (don't worry, the $5's were pretty terrible). I keep playing like I feel I should - throwing curses at him (he throws some back with Ambassador, whatever), getting some extra treasure, trashing away Coppers with Rats, and stocking up on victory points. But my deck doesn't seem to work. Despite my opponents weird start, and totally ignoring the cursing options, his deck seems so much stronger than mine. And without warning, the game suddenly ends after my turn 30, with me losing? Not really sure what happened.

So yeah if anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it. This was a weird game. I feel like my opponent was manipulating me, or something.
Oh Lord, my deck is a shame
I wonder who is to blame
Only rats I can see -
the problem might be
Lord Bottington is my name.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Re: Confused about how I lost this one.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:53:10 am »
+1

I'm a little confused, but take advantage of the new rats to clear out my coppers and estates and stuff, it's pretty handy.

This is the thing that stood out the most to me: I'm not terribly experienced myself, but you were definitely not taking advantage of the Rats: they were taking advantage of you! Trashing your Coppers and Estates is generally good, because it thins your deck out so that you get fewer bad cards and more good cards in your hand. But if you trash them with Rats, you get more Rats back, so your deck gets worse instead of better! Instead of drawing a marginally useful Copper, you draw a completely useless Rats. The main way to use Rats effectively (other than giving them to your opponent!) is to trash them for benefit, with something like Bishop, where trashing Rats is worth 3VP but trashing Copper would have only been worth 1VP.

And without warning, the game suddenly ends after my turn 30, with me losing? Not really sure what happened.

You ran out the Rats pile, and the Wishing Well and Curse piles were already empty. It looks like there was only one Estate left, as well, so the game had been almost-over for quite a while, but your opponent kept greening instead of just ending it while ahead.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:54:38 am »
+1

Well, it's not the best way at all to analyse games. But if you look at the situation in the end it should be fairly obvious why you couldn't afford any provinces while your opponent got 5:

Tables - cards: 4 Rats, 2 Wishing Well, 13 Silver, 1 Ambassador, 1 JackOfAllTrades, 1 Explorer, 6 Gold, 1 Copper, 5 Province, 1 Duchy, 1 Estate, 3 Curse
Tables - victory point chips: 0
Tables - total victory points: 31
Tables - turns: 29

Lord Bottington - cards: 15 Rats, 8 Wishing Well, 2 Young Witch, 4 Silver, 10 Estate, 1 Copper, 1 Duchy, 1 Fairgrounds
Lord Bottington - victory point chips: 0
Lord Bottington - total victory points: 15
Lord Bottington - turns: 30

I don't have enough time now to exactly calculate average worth of his cards (since WW and explorer complicate things a little), but he had 14 junk cards, whereas you had 27 (!). And you had 9$ in your whole deck whil he had 45$. I'm not sure whether I didn't get the irony, actually, I'm sorry.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:31:41 am »

I'm not sure whether I didn't get the irony, actually, I'm sorry.

I think I am...  ;)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:44:30 am »

At this rate "Lord Bottington" is going to have the best respect-to-post ratio on the forum, which is something at least. :P
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:39:17 am »
+6

At this rate "Lord Bottington" is going to have the best respect-to-post ratio on the forum, which is something at least. :P

I think Celestial Chameleon has had higher at one point, pretty sure his first post reached around 25 respect.

(Also, I was very surprised to find Lord Bottington wasn't an account when I checked yesterday... figured I had to do something :P)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:08 am »
+1

I think I am...  ;)

Ah right. I never played bots with rats since I don't own any cards. Can someone retract his +1 for Lord Bottington instead of me giving him -1, please? ;)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 06:11:35 pm »
+3

I think I am...  ;)

Ah right. I never played bots with rats since I don't own any cards. Can someone retract his +1 for Lord Bottington instead of me giving him -1, please? ;)

dogbert is way ahead of you.
Join the Dominion League!

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 05:14:51 am »

I think I am...  ;)

dogbert is way ahead of you.

Sorry, I don't get it. I'm not only lacking mojo but also lot of sleep as I'm in submission mode since 4 days.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.