Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Resistance VII: Avalon - Resistance Wins!  (Read 27877 times)

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
Re: Resistance: Avalon II
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2013, 08:56:25 pm »

Fair enough. I mean, if the dominant strategy here (for the first few missions at least) is truly just to gun everything down, then I'll go for that. I don't want my noobishness to imperil the town.

Just seemed a little dull is all :P
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:22 pm »

I was taking a leaf out of shraeye's book (from the previous game). I thought the proposal had a very low chance of being approved regardless of what I proposed, and I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone jumped all over me for not putting myself on the mission. Plus the game will probably move forward better if people propose something other than themself/lio/Tables, so I took the option away from yuma.

And yes, it is interesting that Walrus was willing to trust four other people.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:57 pm »

Fair enough. I mean, if the dominant strategy here (for the first few missions at least) is truly just to gun everything down, then I'll go for that. I don't want my noobishness to imperil the town.

The dominant strategy (if you're Good) is to approve the missions that have the highest chance of Success. If you're Good and trusting a mission to four other people when there are only three other Good people, you can be pretty sure that it's going to Fail.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2013, 09:59:25 pm »

Voting yes to missions like that is generally more of a newbie tell (or a risktaker tell) than it is a spy tell.

This was also my concern with the read.

However these two quotes from Tables don't seem to line up:
I'm only slightly suspicious of you as a result.

This thus makes me very suspicious of Walrus. One of the people involved in that mission is a spy, but you voted it up. Why?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:06 pm »

That's some fine quote mining. You're missing the half of a sentence before that first quote, which puts it in context more. I was primarily trying to push him more, see what I could make him give up. Although I would say I was more suspicious when I made the first post, because I was still thinking things through.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2013, 10:14:59 pm »

And yes, it is interesting that Walrus was willing to trust four other people.

Again, I'd like to emphasize that my top 4 gut-feeling picks were you, Tables, lio, and myself. The mission proposed had 3/4, and a bunch of people seemed to be getting positive reads on yuma, so I figured he deserved a shot--and also maybe it would lend some credence to my suspicions if it did fail after all. I believed that possibly having this information would make it likely that we could scoop up at least 2 of the remaining missions.

The dominant strategy (if you're Good) is to approve the missions that have the highest chance of Success. If you're Good and trusting a mission to four other people when there are only three other Good people, you can be pretty sure that it's going to Fail.

Well yeah, that's true to a first approximation. But then there's other stuff to consider too, like protecting Merlin, gathering information, and so on. For the baddies, for example, it may have been unwise to fail M1, even though the most obvious strategy is to just maximize fails. I thought it was possible that you, Tables and lio might be fellow goodies, while yuma would either 1.) out himself overtly by failing, which could at least launch a productive investigation or 2.) be cowed into silence and we'd pass another one anyway.

Does this make any sense at all? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here haha
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2013, 10:19:51 pm »

The reasoning of, I didn't quite think it through is what I expected. I'll be frank: I'm only slightly suspicious of you as a result.

This part? I'll be frank: I have no idea what the first sentence is saying. I guess I don't know what "it" is nor do I know what "is" is.

But yeah, when you say one thing and then a couple of other posts below it says something different, that is going to raise my eyebrows. If nothing else it is going to make me want you to clarify so I know exactly where you stand on the situation. So where do you stand? With your first statement, or second, somewhere in the middle?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2013, 06:29:43 am »

Did you miss my last post, Yuma?
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:40 am »

Did you miss my last post, Yuma?

No, Tables, I didn't miss your last post. I am obviously referring to it in this part of my post:

This part? I'll be frank: I have no idea what the first sentence is saying. I guess I don't know what "it" is nor do I know what "is" is.

And yes, I want you to clarify where you stand (regardless of anything you have said before). What is so hard about that?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2013, 12:18:05 pm »

Oh. I thought I was quite clear there. I wanted to see his reaction, so I overstated my suspicion. Then once I'd seen it I clarified, I wasn't so suspicious as I said. His reply also helped - I'm still suspicious, but less so than I was at first.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2013, 06:29:17 pm »

Mission 2, Proposal 2 has been proposed. Please get your votes in with the next....hour. (mod fails at updating!)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2013, 06:40:41 pm »

Oh. I thought I was quite clear there. I wanted to see his reaction, so I overstated my suspicion. Then once I'd seen it I clarified, I wasn't so suspicious as I said. His reply also helped - I'm still suspicious, but less so than I was at first.

I get what you are saying now... I guess that I am just surprised that you didn't come to that conclusion very quickly, that it might just very well be a newbie tell... that was my first reaction after you explain why he was "very scummy."

As for overstating your suspicion... I often have a problem with this tactic in mafia as well (voting for reactions). Because to me it makes me just as suspicious of the person using the "tactic." Because I have to ask myself is it actually a tactic or is it a cover? That then leaves me more focused on you, than Walrus.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2013, 06:51:44 pm »

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It probably doesn't help that it was half legitimate anyway. I was more suspicious before his explanation than before, even though I expected what he said. Irrational minds and whatnot.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2013, 06:55:29 pm »

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It probably doesn't help that it was half legitimate anyway. I was more suspicious before his explanation than before, even though I expected what he said. Irrational minds and whatnot.

Yeah... And I think I need to stop attempting to apply mafia logic to this game. It is hard because it is really the only thing I know how to do, but these games are obviously quite different...

I wonder if there is a way to combine them! (not meant to be a thread distractor... but I might think about this for a while and if I can come up with something, you might see it at some point down the road)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2013, 07:03:20 pm »

I have a working plan for a game of Avalon Mafia, a basic 9 player mafia game with Merlin and Assassin. But really, mafia deduction based on scumtells works fine I think, although there's a few sightly different types of things to pick up on. The difference is there's going to be a lot more solid public information to work from.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »

I have a working plan for a game of Avalon Mafia, a basic 9 player mafia game with Merlin and Assassin. But really, mafia deduction based on scumtells works fine I think, although there's a few sightly different types of things to pick up on. The difference is there's going to be a lot more solid public information to work from.

Well sign me up if it gets to that point... and maybe jump into the mafia signup list if you want it to be a "true" mafia game rather than a non-mafia game.... the signup list is a bit long at the moment and is growing rather than shrinking.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »

I guess I could run it... I mean I know how it's meant to work, but no idea about balance... eh, why not? Worth a shot.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »

I think Spies are much more likely to bus in this than in Mafia, since they don't generally want multiple Spies on the one mission.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2013, 04:29:10 pm »

Bump?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »

I presume someone (or someones) hasn't voted yet.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »

I presume someone (or someones) hasn't voted yet.

Yup

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »

Mission 2 Proposal 2
Leader: Yuma
Proposed Team: Liopoil, mail-mi, Yuma
Votes
Accept: Liopoil, yuma, mail-mi, chairs
Reject: Tables, Jimmmmm, WalrusMcFishSr
Proposal is Accepted

Liopoil, Mail-mi, and Yuma have 24 hours to send in their pass/fails.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:02:39 pm by Twistedarcher »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2013, 10:59:31 pm »

Radio Silence

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »

Mission 2 Results
Team: Liopoil, Mail-Mi, Yuma
Results: Pass, Pass, Fail

Mission 2 has failed!

Chairs has 24 hours to propose a team of 3 players.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:03:02 pm by Twistedarcher »

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2013, 11:17:10 pm »

TA has been busy recently, so he asked me to help him out with moderating this game.  If you could send votes etc. to both of us, that would be helpful to keep the game moving as quickly as possible!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.