Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bad plan, bad tactics, or bad luck?  (Read 1323 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Bad plan, bad tactics, or bad luck?
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:29:29 am »

I tried my first moneyless deck recently, and just barely lost against an opponent who went big money hoard. i'm hoping to find out where I went wrong.

Was my entire strategy wrong? I felt like I had a little trouble finding my poor houses, so perhaps I needed a kingdom with better draw, or perhaps poor house is just less suitable in a colony game.

Did I play the deck wrong? I thought I should get a couple bishops with my spare buys so they could trash mediocre cards for VPs, and that sorta worked, but I think they clogged things up more than they helped, and that more poor houses would have helped me connect a lot more. I'm also not sure about the number of fishing villages I had: with no draw cards, each one was a card gone from my hand, but I needed them to play poor houses. Bishop-trashing the colonies to keep my deck thin felt right, but that could also have been a mistake.

Or did I just get unlucky? Hitting all three of my bishops together at a time when almost anything else would have been a win felt pretty unlucky, but really I think I probably brought it on myself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Bad plan, bad tactics, or bad luck?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:45:14 am »

Trashing looks too weak for Poor House; Bishop is not sufficient.  Lack of card draw also hurts it a lot, and relying on PH is worse with Colonies because you need 3 PH rather than the 2 for Province.  Fishing Village helps a bit with money, and it would be your primary +actions for PH, but it's another disappearing card.  Market is decent, but it's weaker for coin in a Colony game.  You really do want Platinum.

Bishop is weak trashing, but it's also another card that makes it harder to get PHs together.  Also, you don't have great fodder for it.  Colony is not a good card to Bishop because you actually lose a lot of VP when you do that.  You lose 10VP and only gain 6VP back, which is a net loss of 4.  Province is a better target because you only lose 1VP net.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:13 am »

Bishop is weak trashing, but it's also another card that makes it harder to get PHs together.  Also, you don't have great fodder for it.  Colony is not a good card to Bishop because you actually lose a lot of VP when you do that.  You lose 10VP and only gain 6VP back, which is a net loss of 4.  Province is a better target because you only lose 1VP net.
To be honest, trashing those two colonies cost you 8 points-- that alone pretty much cost you the game.
Poor house needs better trashing and plentiful +buys to really work. I probably wouldn't go for it on this board.
That being said, if I really wanted to try to make a poor house deck work on that board I would probably open silver, to a get a couple markets faster, and use crossroads for +cards. You probably would have been okay with less fishing villages and less markets. Two bishops helps trash down but since its not so helpful late game on this board I'd probably trash one with the other.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:27:43 am »

A bishop gives your opponent a good advantage here by trashing estates for free. This could set up a money deck with hoards and banks. Your opponent actually helps you by taking a bishop as well and you still don't win.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:58:29 am by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.