Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands  (Read 106431 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2013, 11:08:41 am »

Then would it work at $6 and with the gain penalty? That's pretty high opportunity cost, and the combo-enabling is the cool part about it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 18, 2013, 11:41:20 am »

Shaman
Action - $5
Discard your deck. Play a card from your discard pile.

is what I would have it at now.

Any reasons it wasn't liked? I was really hoping this one would do well.

It is a card idea has been discussed many times on this forum, and is usually referred to as Demonic Tutor after a similar card from Magic.  It just enables some really ridiculous combos.  Scavenger is the official card which has tread a bit on this design space.
If a Demonic Tutor (what I tend to call Broken Herald because I never played Magic:tG) belongs anywhere, it would be Alchemy. Thing is, Alchemy already has Golem. I`m guessing that a non-broken version of such a card would end up looking too much like Golem, with its prohibitive cost and lack of vanilla bonuses.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 18, 2013, 12:00:38 pm »

The thing is: it only gets you half as many actions as Golem, but lets you choose, and it helps with deck sifting. If you have it, you want a few key actions in as big a deck as you want, which is Hinterlands's theme or one particular combo, not lots and lots of them like you want with alchemy.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:10 pm »

The thing is: it only gets you half as many actions as Golem, but lets you choose, and it helps with deck sifting. If you have it, you want a few key actions in as big a deck as you want, which is Hinterlands's theme or one particular combo, not lots and lots of them like you want with alchemy.
In my mind, seeing your key actions very often is still playing lots of actions, especially if the card you fish out helps you play your other actions (for example, a key village/throne room or a powerful draw card). It also seems like a broken-looking-but-actually-balanced ability, which I associate with Alchemy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 18, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »

If you use King's Court, you can find 3 cards.  Name KC, KC and another copy of this.  Now you can put together pretty much any super power combo in the game with incredible ease.  Find-any-action is pretty easy to abuse.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 18, 2013, 05:32:04 pm »

Ultimatum to Lastfootnote : if you don't give the results, I put back my green arrow for the message "RESERVED FOR RESULTS". Deadline... let's say in 48 hours ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 18, 2013, 05:39:29 pm »

Ultimatum to Lastfootnote : if you don't give the results, I put back my green arrow for the message "RESERVED FOR RESULTS". Deadline... let's say in 48 hours ?

Luckily for both of us, I finally have some time. Results soonish.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 18, 2013, 06:16:43 pm »
+6

Results are up! Sorry for the loooooooooong wait!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:43 pm »
+2

Ugh...I just KNEW my card was one of the cards tied for first! No hard feelings, LastFootnote.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 18, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »
+2

Ugh...I just KNEW my card was one of the cards tied for first! No hard feelings, LastFootnote.

I'm wishing I voted, too, I loved Mountain Dwellers but I feel Diviner is ridiculously overpowered.

I give jet lag as an excuse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2013, 07:39:32 pm »

I'm wishing I voted, too, I loved Mountain Dwellers but I feel Diviner is ridiculously overpowered.

That's too bad. I was counting on your vote. No matter, I'll have other chances.

So yeah, the consensus was really low this time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, so it was you who made Courier(B). I liked that one, and even voted for it. Unfortunately, it had a hard time competing with the much less subtle cards in the ballot.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:50:18 pm by markusin »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
+1

If it seems overpowered, it can be tweaked. Power isn't too huge an issue, the idea is interesting.

As it turns out I voted for all the top three, and neither of the two after that.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2013, 08:07:59 pm »

I voted for 4 of the top 5. I'm happy with that!

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2013, 08:10:30 pm »
+3

It's interesting that two of the most debated cards were submitted by WanderingWinder (Used Land Salesman) and -Stef- (Hinterland).

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:00 pm »

It's interesting that two of the most debated cards were submitted by WanderingWinder (Used Land Salesman) and -Stef- (Hinterland).
I also noticed that. Where is -Stef- to comment anyway?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15:00 pm »

I wonder if -Stef-'s name influenced LastFootnote's interest in the card.  It certainly makes me give the strategic implications a second thought.  I'm not seeing it, but maybe it is obvious to -Stef-.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2013, 08:34:26 pm »
+1

I wonder if -Stef-'s name influenced LastFootnote's interest in the card.

It's impossible for me to give a 100% objective answer to this, but I doubt it. In my experience, skill at playing Dominion does not directly correlate to making good Dominion cards. I'm not in love with most of WanderingWinder's cards, for instance (Nothing personal, WW).

The reason I like it so much is that it's got a very unique, yet elegant and compelling mechanic.

It certainly makes me give the strategic implications a second thought.  I'm not seeing it, but maybe it is obvious to -Stef-.

I wouldn't read too much into it. According to -Stef-, this is his first fan card. I messaged him back, asking if he wanted to at least add +1 Action to it. He said had considered both that and allowing you to gain another Silver onto the mat when played (instead of swapping). He was afraid that those would make the card too powerful. That's a common mistake among new fan card developers: erring on the side of cards that are too weak. I've certainly done my share of that.

EDIT: I thought the same thing, by the way: that there might be something I was missing about the card. That's why I contacted -Stef- about it. It's possible that there's something we're both missing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:37:53 pm by LastFootnote »

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:47 pm »

Quote from: Archetype
Sawmill
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, set it aside onto your Sawmill mat. At the start of each of your turns, you may put any number of cards from your mat into your hand.
Well, here's Sawmill. Probably should've cost $2, but I've tested it out at $3 and it works fine. Fun little niche card. Could probably be less game specific if it had +1 Card, but I like it how it is. I also don't use a mat IRL, I just set them aside. But I was afraid that people wouldn't like just setting them aside so I added the mat thing. Turns out some people didn't like it because it had a mat, so go figure.

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:24 pm »
+1

I'm genuinely curious as to why you (and others) feel it is so drastically overpowered. Could someone please explain, because I feel it is very similar in power to Oracle.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »

Personally, I think +2 cards, +1 buy is pretty similar to +$2, +1 buy, and this has a powerful extra effect on top. I think if you removed the +buy it would be similar to Oracle. That's actually where I would start with balancing, is removing that.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »
+1

Personally, I think +2 cards, +1 buy is pretty similar to +$2, +1 buy, and this has a powerful extra effect on top. I think if you removed the +buy it would be similar to Oracle. That's actually where I would start with balancing, is removing that.
The problem is, filtering cards right before you draw them is typically a bit better than filtering cards for what must be (barring black market) the next turn. And you don't get the attack. Okay, you get +buy and the filtering is better (though it stacks worse); overall, I think it compares pretty nicely to oracle, but I would start where it is (it's not like oracle is the greatest card ever) or possibly bumping it up to 4, which is where I expect it would end up.

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »

I wonder if -Stef-'s name influenced LastFootnote's interest in the card.

It's impossible for me to give a 100% objective answer to this, but I doubt it. In my experience, skill at playing Dominion does not directly correlate to making good Dominion cards. I'm not in love with most of WanderingWinder's cards, for instance (Nothing personal, WW).

I completely agree that skill at Dominion has almost no correlation to skill at designing cards. I am actually really mediocre at Dominion, and my cards have always done well in these contests. I think there is a definite difference between being good at strategic theory and being good at strategic implementation.

@Tables- My thinking had been that the buy was important to the card cohesion, so perhaps a cost increase or change in effect is more natural? I understand the OP idea now, though, so thanks for clarifying  :)

EDIT:semi-ninja'd by WW
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:33:15 pm by jamespotter »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »

Quote from: Powerman
Ring Leader
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $3
+2 Cards.
When you buy or play this, each player (including you) reveals the top 4 card of his deck, discards one that you choose, and puts the rest back in an order he chooses.

Well, this was my card.  As WW pointed out, at $3 this is almost certainly too strong.  I do really like the mechanic however, so which of the following would keep the "feel" of the card while making it less OP.

A) Raising the price to $4 or $5
B) Eliminating the +2 Cards
C) Reducing the card space to 3 cards
D) Other (please specify!)

Thanks!
A man on a mission.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2013, 11:08:57 pm »
+3

Definitely reduce to 3 cards.  I'm still worried that this is too annoying to play against, but I like the idea too.  Not sure if anything else needs to be done.  With +2 Cards, maybe raise the price.

dnkywin

• Scout
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:30 pm »

Quote from: dnkywin
Smelter
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

Eh, so I designed Smelter (the name was arbitrary). I wanted to do something with gaining silver on top of deck on buy, and thus I just stuck the +1$ and the +1 Buy on (to encourage more topdecking). It used to be +$2, +1 Buy for $5 cost but I decided that there were already enough woodcutters in Hinterlands. It definitely is a money card, but I don't think it's a game-warper like Jack is.

I'm not so sure about always wanting to buy copper to get a topdecked silver - it does contributes towards $1.5 average but it also decreases variance as well as delaying those key golds.

Eh, I'm just glad that this didn't lose by one vote (since I didn't vote  :P)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.