Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands  (Read 106055 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 12:02:45 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but Hinterlands seems much harder to think of a good card idea for than Prosperity was, for me. I had a Prosperity card made in about 5 minutes, while Hinterlands I'm still at square one.

Truth be told, it's the opposite for me. I'll definitely not send in a second Prosperity card, but i allready have two for Hinterlands. For Intrigue i have three, two for Alchemy, three for Dark Ages and the correct number for the remaining sets.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:45 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but Hinterlands seems much harder to think of a good card idea for than Prosperity was, for me. I had a Prosperity card made in about 5 minutes, while Hinterlands I'm still at square one.

I have an idea I like for Guilds (which was originally for Prosperity, but then it worked better for Guilds).  I have an idea I really like for Dark Ages, although the reasons I like it might be dumb.  I have a mediocre idea for Cornucopia which is surprisingly difficult to word properly.  I actually have two for Alchemy, but one is a joke... which I think could still be fairly interesting. :P

I didn't have anything for Hinterlands, but I just made something pretty funky.

I don't have anything for Intrigue, which I find difficult because the theme is very... open?  The main theme is just "choices", which doesn't provide a lot of direction.

I don't have anything for Seaside, which also feels very open to me.  But I find that most durations feel clunky unless they are simple, but vanilla durations are pretty well covered already.  Of course, Duration typing isn't necessary (but I expect that the first contest at least will have a Duration winner).

It's hard to come up with even one good card at a time, let alone a whole bunch of cards in advance. I'm still thinking about Seaside, and I have to playtest my current idea if I decide to stick with it. I noticed that the duration bonuses have so far been designed in such a way that there is never a need for resolving order, so they ended up  involving vanilla bonuses most of the time.

I doubt I can come up with anything good for Cornucopia. For me, designing for Dark Ages and Intrigue is quite intimidating. This contest is quite the distraction.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 12:31:54 pm »

I have a really hard time coming up with anything good.
I made one Seaside and one Alchemy card I'm absolutely ( ;D) sure will be the best of the lot, but can't think of any more cards. I have one card I think is good, but it doesn't really fit any of the given expansions as much, so I'm submitting it in hinterlands and giving it an on-buy mechanic.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 12:37:34 pm »
+3

I have a really hard time coming up with anything good.
I made one Seaside and one Alchemy card I'm absolutely ( ;D) sure will be the best of the lot, but can't think of any more cards. I have one card I think is good, but it doesn't really fit any of the given expansions as much, so I'm submitting it in hinterlands and giving it an on-buy mechanic.

Be careful with that.  Just tacking on an on-buy or on-gain mechanic is not the greatest idea.  Try to figure out how you can make it feel cohesive.

Also, I advise people to carefully consider whether your effect can be on gain or if it has to be on buy.  Most of the effects in Hinterlands are on gain, but some had to be on buy to prevent bad situations.  Noble Brigand and Haggler are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 12:43:32 pm »

I have one card I think is good, but it doesn't really fit any of the given expansions as much, so I'm submitting it in hinterlands and giving it an on-buy mechanic.

Don't do that. I tried a similar thing for Prosperity and failed miserably.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »

I made one Seaside and one Alchemy card I'm absolutely ( ;D) sure will be the best of the lot, but can't think of any more cards.
Argh...my Alchemy and Seaside cards are the ones that I feel like are my best also, so we will have competition...

I have one card I think is good, but it doesn't really fit any of the given expansions as much, so I'm submitting it in hinterlands and giving it an on-buy mechanic.
This sounds like a bad idea.  Most other on-buy/on-gain cards have their on-buy/on-gain effect being an integral part of the card.  Nomad Camp would be Woodcutter without the top-decking, Cache would be Gold without the Copper-gaining, the whole point of IGG is to be a one-shot curser and the main point of Inn is to stack your deck, Border Village would be Village without the gaining, and Farmland would be worse than Duchy without the trashing.  It seems like most Hinterlands on-buy/on-gain cards started with ideas for on-buy or on-gain effects, then worked the top half to fit with the bottom half.

Edit: Ninja'd by everyone.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 01:03:29 pm »

I'm really, really happy with my Hinterlands card. (Now watch everyone hate it...)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 01:17:26 pm »

I like my Hinterlands card, but I'm worried that it looks too bland.  The price is possibly off by a coin: I've been going back and forth with myself on it.
Well you *do* need a signature...

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 01:22:15 pm »

Whoa, I guess I'll just submit it without the on-buy thing. It still supports big decks, so I hope that'll be enough. I had an idea for an only-reaction card, but couldn't find a way for it to be worth anything. I guess by the time the second one of these comes around, I'll have got it good enough, but until then I can use this one.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:29 pm »

I think the card I submitted is better for a seaside/hinterlands hybrid. LFN, can I turn in a different card instead?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »

You can always re-submit.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »

I think the card I submitted is better for a seaside/hinterlands hybrid. LFN, can I turn in a different card instead?

Yes, feel free.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 05:06:02 pm »

I like my Hinterlands card, but I'm worried that it looks too bland.  The price is possibly off by a coin: I've been going back and forth with myself on it.

I am in literally the exact same situation.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 05:13:21 pm »

Yes, feel free.
My new one... I don't know. It could be horribly overpowered.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »

Yes, feel free.
My new one... I don't know. It could be horribly overpowered.
That's why we have voting!

Who knows, maybe it will work out; I was pleasantly surprised by some of the kind words people gave to my Prosperity card, even though it won't win, by a long-shot (and got some criticism to, but mostly things I expected). It gave me a good feeling and more feedback.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:13:29 pm by Just a Rube »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »

I have a card, but I'm already confused about a potential rules complexity. Is there anyone hot on Dominion rules who'd be willing to give me a quick hand (just say so here I suppose). As an incentive, I think the issue involves blue dogs and pink elephants.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 06:59:03 pm »
+1

I have a card, but I'm already confused about a potential rules complexity. Is there anyone hot on Dominion rules who'd be willing to give me a quick hand (just say so here I suppose). As an incentive, I think the issue involves blue dogs and pink elephants.

I like fretting over weird rules.  And I like colorful animals.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:25 pm »
+2

pink elephants.
When you gain this card, take a drink?

The interaction with Trader seems pretty clear to me.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 08:13:00 pm »

Possible card names:

Horse
Forgotten Tribe
Treehouse
Foreign Colloqium
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 08:19:02 pm »
+1

I'm always down to discuss any parts of a card with anyone if they want (though you shouldn't want me for flavor); I will give as clear advice as I can, and you can take it or leave it.

I also have I think at least a couple cards for every expansion, except maybe Cornucopia. Cornucopia makes me just think of many anti-diversity-promoting cards, which I think would nevertheless be interesting. Maybe I'll make a mini-fan-expansion of these once this is over.

I also find that I am designing really few actions compared to what would be expected - I am pretty sure fewer than a third of my designs are actions. Okay, some of this is me trying to break Donald's "there aren't many more interesting victory cards left to do" mold, because my gut tells me it shouldn't be true; but this is difficult.

Edit: Does anyone know where that Donald X post is? I can't seem to find it...

Edit2: Here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12631281#12631281
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:18:41 pm by WanderingWinder »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »
+5

Possible card names:

Horse
Forgotten Tribe
Treehouse
Foreign Colloqium

Make it "Lost Tribes" and it's a Small World reference. :P

And maybe "Horse" should be "Mostly Reliable Steed".

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 09:25:23 pm »
+4

Right, after a bit of work on my ideas, dropping clauses, adding extra bits, changing things etc. I've managed to get a card which I'm happy with - it's at least kind of interesting, and seems mostly balanced with a few notable combos. Oh, and it's also now totally unrelated to Hinterlands. Whoops.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 10:11:17 pm »

I'd be happy to.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 11:21:53 pm »

Right, after a bit of work on my ideas, dropping clauses, adding extra bits, changing things etc. I've managed to get a card which I'm happy with - it's at least kind of interesting, and seems mostly balanced with a few notable combos. Oh, and it's also now totally unrelated to Hinterlands. Whoops.

If the notable combos are with Hinterlands cards, you could submit it anyhow.

I'm curious about what it is, so I wouldn't mind seeing it whether or not you actually submit it.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 12:23:16 am »

Argh, I don't know what to call my card.  And I can't ask for advice because then everybody will know what my card is.

And it wouldn't be a normal name, so you can't suggest generic names...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.