Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands  (Read 106043 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:11:56 pm »
+8

The second contest is to design a card that would fit well in Hinterlands. I'll just repost all the rules and things here so that people don't have to hunt around for them.

Submission Rules

• Submit no more than one card per challenge.
• You are not obligated to submit a card for every challenge.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• Unlike the previous set design contest, the name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

For this Treasure Chest set, you may not submit cards that combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

I will be putting some constraints on the set as a whole.

• No more than one Victory card (ideally an Intrigue or Hinterlands card).
• No more than one Treasure card (ideally a Prosperity card).
• The raw number of cards (including randomizers) must not exceed 150.

Challenge #2 : Hinterlands

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Hinterlands expansion. Ideally such a card will have one or more of the following qualities:

• Does something when you buy or gain it.
• Does something when you buy or gain another card.
- Lets you deal with having a large deck or increases the size of your deck.
- Cares about Victory cards.

The bullet points (•) are the set's major themes, and the hyphens (-) are the set's minor themes.

I'll talk a bit here about point #3: enables a large deck. You may have noticed that Hinterlands cards aren't geared around having a small, tightly run deck. In fact, the only Hinterlands card that is actually designed to shrink your deck is Spice Merchant. Perhaps it will be easiest to explain this with some examples.

• Hinterlands has a ton of filtering cards which allow you to cycle through your chaff to your good cards: Oasis, Oracle, Jack of all Trades, Cartographer, Embassy, Inn, Margrave, and Stables.
• Many Hinterlands cards improve your deck by allowing you to gain more good cards quickly, rather than removing bad cards: Duchess, Develop, Trader, Haggler, Border Village.
• Cache pushes filtering by increasing the variance of your deck.
• Scheme lets you play your key cards more often even when you're not drawing your entire deck.

You get the idea. Please keep this in mind when designing your Hinterlands cards. It may help them feel more Hinterlands-y.

The deadline for this week's challenge is Monday, September 9, 2013 at 8am CDT.

If you have any questions, please post them here or send me a private message and I will endeavor to answer them in a timely manner. Good luck!

Ballot
Results
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:16:02 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #2: Hinterlands
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »

I have ideas pretty much set for some other expansions, but nothing for Hinterlands.

Maybe I will submit something a bit crazy, the balance of which I have absolutely no clue.

I hope to see some interesting card names with exotic flair.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:58:04 pm »

/tag
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:59:03 pm »
+2

• Does something when you buy or gain it.
• Does something when you buy or gain another card.
- Lets you deal with having a large deck or increases the size of your deck.
- Cares about Victory cards.

The bullet points (•) are the set's major themes, and the hyphens (-) are the set's minor themes.

Another minor theme of Hinterlands is "not just Actions"—it's got three Victory cards and three Treasure cards, one of each of which is also a Reaction; there are more Reaction kingdom cards in Hinterlands than any other expansion. Is this also something people should take into account?

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:19:08 am »

Well, I have a card name and a concept that I like. Now I just need to make it fit with the expansion themes...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:28:56 am »

tag
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:36:00 am »

Yup, submitted.  It started out as something crazy, but I have convinced myself that it is a decent concept.  Still kind of crazy.

Here are some card names that I did not use which I think fit Hinterlands pretty well:

Monastery
Nomadic Monk (or some variation of this; I like it because airbenders)
Rock Garden
Emir
Sultan
Vizier (especially good if there is interaction with the player to your left)
Palanquin
Satrapy (especially good for a Victory card)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 12:43:20 am »
+2

And another minor theme - Icebergs. By which I mean cards that are simple, maybe even vanilla, "above the line", but have a lot more going on "below the line" in terms of in-play or when-buy/gain or Reaction effects. This kind of ties in to the plan for Hinterlands to have been the third standalone set.

Also, Iceberg would be a great Victory-Reaction card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:47:41 am »

And another minor theme - Icebergs. By which I mean cards that are simple, maybe even vanilla, "above the line", but have a lot more going on "below the line" in terms of in-play or when-buy/gain or Reaction effects. This kind of ties in to the plan for Hinterlands to have been the third standalone set.

Nice terminology!  Hopefully Iceberg would synergize with Nomadic Monk.  Or should it anti-synergize?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:49 am »

Yup, submitted.  It started out as something crazy, but I have convinced myself that it is a decent concept.  Still kind of crazy.

Here are some card names that I did not use which I think fit Hinterlands pretty well:

Monastery
Rock Garden
Emir
Sultan
Palanquin

I always thought Rock Garden would be a great name for a Victory card that cared how many Treasures you had in your deck. And then they named that card Feodum  :P
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:11 am »

Nice terminology!  Hopefully Iceberg would synergize with Nomadic Monk.  Or should it anti-synergize?
Are you thinking that the Monk would cross the Iceberg, or be impeded by it? I think it would be better for Iceberg to protect against Pirate Ship and Ghost Ship.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 02:28:32 am »

Are you thinking that the Monk would cross the Iceberg, or be impeded by it? I think it would be better for Iceberg to protect against Pirate Ship and Ghost Ship.

It's an Avatar: The Last Airbender reference. :P

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 06:17:47 am »
+2

In all of these contest, can we have one extra voting stage of like 5? I want to playtest before I vote, but 40 cards is way too much for that.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:20 am »

LastFootnote - you forgot to reserve posts for the cards and results! :( :(

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 08:13:27 am »

Monastery
Rock Garden
Emir
Sultan
Palanquin

I have some unused names that I could share, but I'm worried about posting the name someone else used.  I really like Wayfarer as a name.  Vagabond is sort of similar.
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 09:25:17 am »
+7

I decided that I would share a little bit of unsolicited advice about making cards.  I'm surely no expert, and other here are welcome to disagree, share their advice, and post edge cases.

First, your card should have a concise idea in it.  As you were reading through the Prosperity submissions, you may have noticed yourself having to strain at times to put together all of the details of a card, or having to reread it several times to parse everything.  Ideally, you would avoid that as much as possible, especially if you are looking for votes in a contest where it takes over an hour to go through the full list of submissions.  You want someone to read your card and immediately be intrigued, not just grow impatient and move on.  It can take a lot of thought about "what is the main point of this card?"  or "what is this card trying to do, and is there a cleaner way of reaching that goal?".  In that last question, start out by stating your goal in the broadest and most abstract terms appropriate, rather than pinning your concept to a particular mechanic from the start.  And once you are able to boil that idea down to its essence, try not to decorate it with too many distracting bells or whistles.

I think the latter was particularly difficult in the Prosperity contest since you may have found a simple concept that you loved, but was only worth costing $3, so you tried to buff it up by any means to reach $6 or $7.  Those higher price points are really hard to balance and judge, in part because we have so little experience with them, and also because that high price point can make them inherently swingy:  one player gets a lucky early spike to afford one, and then the card was made so grossly powerful to justify the price tag that now he is at a huge advantage for that lucky spike.

Hinterlands cards sometimes gets a bad rap for the tops and bottoms just being tacked on.  But consider, say, Inn.  Surely the essential idea is to stack the upcoming deck in your favor.  This could have been implemented in different ways (e.g. Scheme or Herald), but with Inn Donald chose to shuffle Actions into your deck.  That's probably too strong or too clunky to be an on-play effect, so Donald made it an on-gain.  Then what should the top effect be?  Well, the on-gain is mostly good with a deck which relies on Actions.  Decks which rely on Actions usually want a village.  So let's make Inn a village!  Cool, every set wants a village or two.  Should it just be plain old village?  Let's spice that up a little at least.  Well, this set has something of a filtering theme, and a bit of filtering can be about as good as drawing a single card.  It helps to deal with those few non Actions left in your deck when you shuffle in Inn.

As for what makes that "main point" of the card compelling, well that depends a lot on the person.  Personally, I want something which is not just a novel idea, but which encourages a novel strategy.  Something that makes games with that card have a unique if subtly different flavor.  I'd like the card to be usable in a wide range of boards and stategies, though not necessarily all, but not be the new King's Court or Rebuild which just steals the show.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:19 am »
+8

Voting Rules

• I will not accept votes until Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 8am CDT. There are two reasons for this. First, I've almost certainly made some mistakes and I want the card authors to have time to contact me so I can make fixes. Second, I want everybody to have the chance to critique and discuss the cards for a few days.
• The deadline for turning in your ballots is Monday, September 16, 2013 at 8am CDT.
• We are using an approval voting system. That means you can vote for as many of the cards as you like, but only once for each card. Feel free to vote for your own card if you submitted one. When you send in your ballot, simply list the cards you'd like to vote for.
• I will generally not accept revisions to ballots. I recommend you send your ballot in later rather than earlier in case you change your mind about some of your votes.
• The winning card may (and likely will) be revised, so I encourage you vote for a card if you think it could be great with a different cost or some slight tweaking.

Palanquin
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+1 Action. You may discard an Action card. If you do, +1 Card per $ it costs.

Tribe
Cost: $3
+2 Actions. +$1. Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard one and put the other anywhere in your deck.

When you buy this, you may discard a card. If you do, +1 Buy and +$2.

Quagmire
Types: Victory
Worth 1 VP.

When you gain this, trash 3 cards from a Supply pile.

Hinterland
Cost: $4
Swap the cards in your hand with the cards on your Hinterland mat.

When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on your Hinterland mat.

Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

While this is in play, when you gain a Victory card, Victory cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Clarification: Gaining Victory cards multiple times in a turn while this is in play does reduce the cost of Victory cards each time.

Consulate
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Discard 2 cards.

When you gain this, each other player gains a Copper, putting it into his hand.

Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

While this is in play, when you gain a Trade Agreement, gain a card costing up to $5.

Mountain Dwellers
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. If you revealed 3 or more Treasure cards, +$1.

When you buy this, you may trash a Treasure card you have in play. Gain a Treasure card costing exactly $3 more than it.

Emerald Vein
Types: Action – Victory
+1 Action. Reveal your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.

Worth 1 VP.

Troglodyte Caves
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.

When you gain this, you may reveal a card from your hand costing less than this. Gain a copy of it.

Vendor
Cost: $1
+1 Action

When you buy this, +2 Buys.

Artefact
Cost: $2
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose a card from your hand. Trash it, discard it, or put it on top of your deck.

When you buy this, set it aside instead of gaining it. Discard it after you next shuffle your discard pile (or when the game ends).

Ring Leader
Types: Action – Attack
+2 Cards.

When you buy or play this, each player (including you) reveals the top 4 card of his deck, discards one that you choose, and puts the rest back in an order he chooses.

EDIT: Added +2 Cards to Ring Leader's on-play effect.

River
Worth 2 VP.

When you gain this during your turn, all cards except Victory cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Factory
Types: Action – Reaction
+1 Action. You may discard a card that is not a Victory card. If you do, gain a copy of it.

When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and put it onto your deck. If you do, put the gained card into your hand.

Sanctuary
+2 Cards. Discard 2 cards.

When you gain this, set aside a card from your hand. Return that card to your deck at the end of the game.

Workers' Co-operative
+1 Buy. +$3.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player may gain a card costing less than it.

Smelter
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

Witch Doctor
+$1. Look through your deck; reveal and discard any number of Victory and Curse cards from it. Shuffle your deck.

When you gain this, put your deck into your discard pile.

Diviner
+2 Cards. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck, discard any number, and put the rest back on top in any order.

Shoreline
Cost: $6
Worth 4 VP.

When you gain this, +1 Buy.

Mill
+1 Action. Each other player draws a card. Gain a card costing up to $5.

When you gain this, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

Travelling Salesman
Discard any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a card costing less than the gained Victory card.

Courier (A)
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

When you would gain a card other than during your Buy phase, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 more instead.

Oicho-Kabu
+1 Buy. +$2.

Worth 1 VP. While this is in play, when you buy a card, +$2 and discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Victory card, trash this.

Wayfarer (A)
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$ equal to its cost in coins.

Sultan
+2 Cards. +1 Action. Discard a card.

When you gain this, look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

Safe House
Types: Victory – Reaction
Worth 2 VP.

When you gain a card costing $0, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Gold.

Commander
Worth 2 VP

When you gain this, gain a Reinforcement card, putting it on top of your deck.
Setup: Add an extra Action Kingdom card pile costing $5 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Reinforcement cards and cannot be bought.

Clarification: Unlike most Victory cards, there are always 10 copies of Commander in the Supply regardless of the number of players.

Midnight Gathering
+1 Action. You may put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile. You may reveal an Action card from it; put it into your hand.

Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may reveal and discard this along with any number of cards from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards per Pasture and +1 Card per other card discarded.

Trailblazer
Gain a card costing up to $4.

When you gain this, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put any number of the revealed Victory cards and Curses into your hand. Put the other cards back in any order.

Bargain
You may trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, a card costing exactly $2 more than it, and a card costing exactly $3 more than it. Discard down to 2 cards in hand.

When you gain this, each player (including you) may trash a card from his hand.

Clairvoyant
+1 Action. Look at the top card of your deck. You may put it into your hand. Otherwise, +$1 and either discard it or put it back. Look through your discard pile and put a card from it or your hand at the bottom of your deck.

Fence
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

EDIT: Changed from "when you gain a card" to "when you buy a card".

Shaman
+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card with that name. Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

When you gain this, each other player discards any number of cards from his hand then draws a card per card discarded.

Tinker's Wagon

When you gain this, move a card costing between $3 and $6 from the top of one Supply pile to the top of another.

Thrift Shop
+1 Action. +$2. If this is not the first time you played Thrift Shop this turn, you may gain a card from the Thrift Shop mat.

When you gain or play this, place a card costing up to $5 from the Supply onto the Thrift Shop mat.

Clarification: There is only one community Thrift Shop mat. Each player does not have his own.

Grandee
+1 Buy. Gain a card costing up to $4.

When you gain this, gain a Gold; each other player gains a Silver.

Construct
Trash a card from your hand. Gain two cards each costing exactly $1 more than it.

When you gain this during your Action phase, +1 Card and +1 Action.

Missionary
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to the Victory card's cost, putting it onto your deck. Discard the revealed cards.

When you buy this, reveal a card from your hand. If that card costs $6 or less, gain a copy of it.

Chapterhouse
+1 Action. +$1. Draw until you have 6 cards in hand. Discard 2 cards.

When you buy this, each other player draws a card. When you gain this, each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards a card.

Barn
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard a card. If you discarded a Victory or Curse card, gain a Treasure costing up to $4. Otherwise, +$1 and gain a Victory card costing up to $4. Put the gained card into your hand.

When you buy this, gain an Action card costing up to $4, putting it onto your deck.

EDIT: Changed "When you gain this" to "When you buy this".

Huntsmen
Type: Action
Cost: $0*
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, +2 Buys. During your Buy phase, this costs $2 more for each card you've gained this turn.

Painful Journey
Types: Action – Curse – Reaction
Discard any number of Curses. +2 Cards for each Curse discarded.

Worth –1 VP. When you would buy a Victory card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, gain a Victory card costin less than the bought card and gain 2 Curses.

Clarification: You cannot gain this card when another card instructs you to gain a Curse.

Wagon Raider
Each other player may put a card costing more than $2 from their hand into your discard pile. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.

While this is in play, when you buy a Gold, you may gain a Province instead.

EDIT: Added "instead" to the end of the text.

Nomadic Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

When you gain this, put it into your hand.
When an opponent gains an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, search your discard pile for an Action card and put it into your hand.

Stranger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. Each other player discards the top card of his deck. Copies of cards revealed this way cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Courier (B)
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you discard this from play, if you bought no more than one card this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

Sawmill
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, set it aside onto your Sawmill mat. At the start of each of your turns, you may put any number of cards from your mat into your hand.

Pyramid
+1 Action. +$1. +1 Card per Pyramid you have in play. Discard one card per Pyramid you have in play.

When you buy this, gain an extra copy of it.

Lucky Coin
Type: Treasure
Worth $1.

When you gain this, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose.

Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Victory cards costing less than it.

Wayfarer (B)
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one costing $1 or more. Put all the revealed cards into your hand.

When you discard this from play, gain a card costing up to $1 per Copper you have in play.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:16:34 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 09:30:01 am »
+10

Results

11 votes:

Quote from: jamespotter
Diviner
+2 Cards. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck, discard any number, and put the rest back on top in any order.

10 votes:

Quote from: markusin
Mountain Dwellers
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. If you revealed 3 or more Treasure cards, +$1.

When you buy this, you may trash a Treasure card you have in play. Gain a Treasure card costing exactly $3 more than it.

Quote from: ChocophileBenj
Troglodyte Caves
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.

When you gain this, you may reveal a card from your hand costing less than this. Gain a copy of it.

8 votes:

Quote from: dnkywin
Smelter
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

Quote from: Schneau
Witch Doctor
+$1. Look through your deck; reveal and discard any number of Victory and Curse cards from it. Shuffle your deck.

When you gain this, put your deck into your discard pile.

7 votes:

Quote from: SirPeebles
River
Worth 2 VP.

When you gain this during your turn, all cards except Victory cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Quote from: scott_pilgrim
Mill
+1 Action. Each other player draws a card. Gain a card costing up to $5.

When you gain this, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

Quote from: RobertJ
Chapterhouse
+1 Action. +$1. Draw until you have 6 cards in hand. Discard 2 cards.

When you buy this, each other player draws a card. When you gain this, each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards a card.

6 votes:

Quote from: Jack Rudd
Safe House
Worth 2 VP.

When you gain a card costing $0, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Gold.

Quote from: andwilk
Nomadic Village
+1 Card. +2 Actions.

When you gain this, put it into your hand.
When an opponent gains an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, search your discard pile for an Action card and put it into your hand.

Quote from: A Drowned Kernel
Wayfarer (B)
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one costing $1 or more. Put all the revealed cards into your hand.

When you discard this from play, gain a card costing up to $1 per Copper you have in play.

5 votes:

Quote from: Robz888
Emerald Vein
+1 Action. Reveal your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.

Worth 1 VP.

Quote from: Eistee
Commander
Worth 2 VP

When you gain this, gain a Reinforcement card, putting it on top of your deck.
Setup: Add an extra Action Kingdom card pile costing $5 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Reinforcement cards and cannot be bought.

Clarification: Unlike most Victory cards, there are always 10 copies of Commander in the Supply regardless of the number of players.

Quote from: HeavyD
Pasture
Worth 2 VP.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may reveal and discard this along with any number of cards from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards per Pasture and +1 Card per other card discarded.

Quote from: Archetype
Sawmill
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, set it aside onto your Sawmill mat. At the start of each of your turns, you may put any number of cards from your mat into your hand.

4 votes:

Quote from: Arkham Angel
Palanquin
+1 Action. You may discard an Action card. If you do, +1 Card per $ it costs.

Quote from: Polk5440
Consulate
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Discard 2 cards.

When you gain this, each other player gains a Copper, putting it into his hand.

Quote from: Asper
Artefact
+1 Card. +1 Action. Choose a card from your hand. Trash it, discard it, or put it on top of your deck.

When you buy this, set it aside instead of gaining it. Discard it after you next shuffle your discard pile (or when the game ends).

Quote from: Powerman
Ring Leader
+2 Cards.

When you buy or play this, each player (including you) reveals the top 4 card of his deck, discards one that you choose, and puts the rest back in an order he chooses.

Quote from: kn1tt3r
Travelling Salesman
Discard any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When another player gains a Victory card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a card costing less than the gained Victory card.

Quote from: market squire
Courier (A)
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

When you would gain a card other than during your Buy phase, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 more instead.

Quote from: Tables
Oicho-Kabu
+1 Buy. +$2.

Worth 1 VP. While this is in play, when you buy a card, +$2 and discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Victory card, trash this.

Quote from: Nicrosil
Wayfarer (A)
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$ equal to its cost in coins.

Quote from: yuma
Thrift Shop
+1 Action. +$2. If this is not the first time you played Thrift Shop this turn, you may gain a card from the Thrift Shop mat.

When you gain or play this, place a card costing up to $5 from the Supply onto the Thrift Shop mat.

Clarification: There is only one community Thrift Shop mat. Each player does not have his own.

Quote from: nopawnsintended
Barn
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard a card. If you discarded a Victory or Curse card, gain a Treasure costing up to $4. Otherwise, +$1 and gain a Victory card costing up to $4. Put the gained card into your hand.

When you buy this, gain an Action card costing up to $4, putting it onto your deck.

Quote from: shark_bait
Huntsmen
Type: Action
Cost: $0*
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you gain this, +2 Buys. During your Buy phase, this costs $2 more for each card you've gained this turn.

Quote from: GwinnR
Pyramid
+1 Action. +$1. +1 Card per Pyramid you have in play. Discard one card per Pyramid you have in play.

When you buy this, gain an extra copy of it.

3 votes:

Quote from: Fragasnap
Tribe
+2 Actions. +$1. Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard one and put the other anywhere in your deck.

When you buy this, you may discard a card. If you do, +1 Buy and +$2.

Quote from: heron
Trade Agreement
+3 Cards.

While this is in play, when you gain a Trade Agreement, gain a card costing up to $5.

Quote from: Just a Rube
Trailblazer

When you gain this, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put any number of the revealed Victory cards and Curses into your hand. Put the other cards back in any order.

Quote from: Gveoniz
Clairvoyant
+1 Action. Look at the top card of your deck. You may put it into your hand. Otherwise, +$1 and either discard it or put it back. Look through your discard pile and put a card from it or your hand at the bottom of your deck.

Quote from: dghunter79
Tinker's Wagon

When you gain this, move a card costing between $3 and $6 from the top of one Supply pile to the top of another.

Quote from: Kirian
Courier (B)
+1 Action. +1 Buy.

When you discard this from play, if you bought no more than one card this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

Quote from: WanderingWinder
Used Land Salesman
+4 Cards.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Victory cards costing less than it.

2 votes:

Quote from: Garth One-eye
Quagmire
Worth 1 VP.

When you gain this, trash 3 cards from a Supply pile.

Quote from: -Stef-
Hinterland
Swap the cards in your hand with the cards on your Hinterland mat.

When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on your Hinterland mat.

Quote from: eHalcyon
Pilgrimage
+1 Action. +2 Buys.

While this is in play, when you gain a Victory card, Victory cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Clarification: Gaining Victory cards multiple times in a turn while this is in play does reduce the cost of Victory cards each time.

Quote from: cluckyb
Factory
+1 Action. You may discard a card that is not a Victory card. If you do, gain a copy of it.

When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and put it onto your deck. If you do, put the gained card into your hand.

Quote from: Titandrake
Sanctuary
+2 Cards. Discard 2 cards.

When you gain this, set aside a card from your hand. Return that card to your deck at the end of the game.

Quote from: SheCantSayNo
Midnight Gathering
+1 Action. You may put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile. You may reveal an Action card from it; put it into your hand.

Quote from: sudgy
Fence
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

Quote from: XerxesPraelor
Shaman
+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card with that name. Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

When you gain this, each other player discards any number of cards from his hand then draws a card per card discarded.

Quote from: Wrclass
Grandee
+1 Buy. Gain a card costing up to $4.

When you gain this, gain a Gold; each other player gains a Silver.

Quote from: Guy Srinivasan
Stranger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. Each other player discards the top card of his deck. Copies of cards revealed this way cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

1 vote:

Quote from: Delirious Deleuze
Vendor
Cost: $1
+1 Action

When you buy this, +2 Buys.

Quote from: ConMan
Workers' Co-operative
+1 Buy. +$3.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player may gain a card costing less than it.

Quote from: Watno
Shoreline
Worth 4 VP.

When you gain this, +1 Buy.

Quote from: math
Sultan
+2 Cards. +1 Action. Discard a card.

When you gain this, look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

Quote from: Julle
Construct
Trash a card from your hand. Gain two cards each costing exactly $1 more than it.

When you gain this during your Action phase, +1 Card and +1 Action.

Quote from: awildnoobappeared
Missionary
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to the Victory card's cost, putting it onto your deck. Discard the revealed cards.

When you buy this, reveal a card from your hand. If that card costs $6 or less, gain a copy of it.

Quote from: StrongRhino
Wagon Raider
Each other player may put a card costing more than $2 from their hand into your discard pile. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.

While this is in play, when you buy a Gold, you may gain a Province instead.

0 votes:

Quote from: mail-mi
Bargain
You may trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, a card costing exactly $2 more than it, and a card costing exactly $3 more than it. Discard down to 2 cards in hand.

When you gain this, each player (including you) may trash a card from his hand.

Quote from: Beyond Awesome
Painful Journey
Types: Action – Curse – Reaction
Discard any number of Curses. +2 Cards for each Curse discarded.

Worth –1 VP. When you would buy a Victory card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, gain a Victory card costin less than the bought card and gain 2 Curses.

Clarification: You cannot gain this card when another card instructs you to gain a Curse.

Quote from: jackelfrink
Lucky Coin
Type: Treasure
Worth $1.

When you gain this, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:15:16 pm by LastFootnote »

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:46 am »
+2

Hinterlands also has sort of a "simple" card theme.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:22:28 pm »
+1

Sort of. The top parts of the cards tend to be simple. A few are pretty wordy (Jack of all Trades, Noble Brigand, Oracle). The bottom parts also tend to be straightforward.

I plan to submit an entry for Hinterlands. Just need to think it over a little.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:01 pm »

:rolleyes:

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »

:rolleyes:

In my time zone, ConMan's post was at 12:43 am and Wrclass's post was at 9:37 am.  I got confused because I was thinking that 12:43 am comes after 9:37 am (12 > 9).  Sigh.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 11:14:52 am »
+2

I don't know about anyone else, but Hinterlands seems much harder to think of a good card idea for than Prosperity was, for me. I had a Prosperity card made in about 5 minutes, while Hinterlands I'm still at square one.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 11:24:22 am »

I don't know about anyone else, but Hinterlands seems much harder to think of a good card idea for than Prosperity was, for me. I had a Prosperity card made in about 5 minutes, while Hinterlands I'm still at square one.
Same for me...When I heard of the contest, I came up with rough ideas for every expansion except Hinterlands.  I'm not sure that the card I have now is worth submitting.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 11:59:47 am »

I have an idea I like for Guilds (which was originally for Prosperity, but then it worked better for Guilds).  I have an idea I really like for Dark Ages, although the reasons I like it might be dumb.  I have a mediocre idea for Cornucopia which is surprisingly difficult to word properly.  I actually have two for Alchemy, but one is a joke... which I think could still be fairly interesting. :P

I didn't have anything for Hinterlands, but I just made something pretty funky.

I don't have anything for Intrigue, which I find difficult because the theme is very... open?  The main theme is just "choices", which doesn't provide a lot of direction.

I don't have anything for Seaside, which also feels very open to me.  But I find that most durations feel clunky unless they are simple, but vanilla durations are pretty well covered already.  Of course, Duration typing isn't necessary (but I expect that the first contest at least will have a Duration winner).

In all of these contest, can we have one extra voting stage of like 5? I want to playtest before I vote, but 40 cards is way too much for that.

Why not just pick your favourites and playtest those?  Or if you read the comments, you can get a sense of the frontrunners.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:01:02 pm by eHalcyon »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 22 queries.