Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Councilroom.com  (Read 2721 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Councilroom.com
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:33:37 am »

How should I use councilroom.com to improve my play?  Hearing that university had bad stats on CR.com improved my rating a couple points as soon as I heard it.  Should I look at all aggregate stats this way, or would some be misleading?  Should I evaluate my own cards?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Councilroom.com
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:49:15 am »

You need to be very careful how you treat the data from councilroom.com. Like all of the 'Top 5' lists, it's hard to compare one card to another in isolation. And that's essentially what aggregating all of these statistics does. And even then, there are all sorts of selection biases that go into the pretty charts and tables that are generated. I mean, check out the curse graph. http://councilroom.com/win_weighted_accum_turn.html?cards=curse

That said, councilroom is an amazing resource. Personally, I like to check out my own personal win rate stats with certain cards in play. I think this gives me a good feel for cards I generally play well or poorly, and gives me a good place to focus my efforts. The opening buys page is pretty useful as it gives two card combos, which is much more representative of how dominion is actually played, but still only gives a small piece of the puzzle.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:20:01 am »

I mean, check out the curse graph.

And compare it to the Duchy graph. According to CR, after about turn 12, a Curse is a much better buy than a Duchy. ;)

(Of course, the reason this is like this is because generally if you're buying Curses it's to finish the game in front, and if you're buying a lot of Duchies it's because you're playing catch-up and you don't want to buy the last Province and lose.)

Edit: My point is, it can be really helpful to figure out why a graph or stat is the way it is. I'd say University is not a bad card, it's just overbought, and usually not worth going for if it's the only Potion-cost card.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:23:53 am by Jimmmmm »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:05:20 am »

Well my rating went up because i was amongst those overbuying it

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 04:19:46 am »

I look at councilroom mostly for amusing stats, but I don't really use for strategical analysis.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:15:50 am »

Should I evaluate my own cards?

To my mind the win rates for your cards are the most important. If your overall 'win rate' with a card is low then you're probably not evaluating it properly. The 'win rate without' is pretty indicative as well. You can just buy a card less often if you win more frequently without it. If it is an attack card then you might not be defending well but if it is a quarry then you're probably better with fewer quarries. The 'win rate with' is more complicated since you could be either buying a card at the wrong time, buying it in the wrong quantities, or playing it badly.

If the 'win rate without' is telling you that you're losing when you don't buy it, then the 'win rate with' tells you that that you lose when you do buy it, then there's certainly room for improvement.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 21 queries.