Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Not sure where it went wrong  (Read 1044 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Not sure where it went wrong
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130901/log.5122b3cbe4b0b5ff61e0c4ec.1378089058880.txt

Maybe it's the Urchin/Urchin opening, but our starting turns seem equally awful.
Maybe it's when I trash Copper+Silver to Mercenary to try to get a smaller deck, leaving me with generally bad cards in my deck.
Maybe it's when Mercenary+Market Square never seem to collide.

But really, I'm not sure what I do here. The one thing I'm sure of is that I want Outpost, but I feel like I only want that when I have a decent number of Alchemists and a reliable stack.

Edit: Okay actually now I do see, I don't want Silver here at all, I want Market Square over Silver, because that lets me rely on those Golds for economy. I was thinking that I want economy -> buy Silver, but small deck with Market Square + Mercenary is a lot better. I also didn't need that Black Market that turn.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:37:57 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure where it went wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33:27 am »

I don't like an early Market Square at all. If you commit to trashing, you want to start gaining gold only when you're deck is really trim, before that the Gold only sits in the way, not to mention that your ideal 4-card starting hand (after an opponent's Urchin attack) is Crossroads, Mercenary, 2 crap cards, so there's no room for a Market Square until you have your draw going.

I think apart from all the Silvers, your biggest mistake was not getting an early Crossroads and not focusing on Grand Markets. I'd definitely get a Crossroads over the Silver and probably even over the Potion. If you go for Mercenary you really need some sort of Village to support it.

My general gameplan would be:

- Get to Mercenary as soon as possible
- Add a Crossroads
- Get a Potion for $4, Market Square for $3
- Trash trash trash and buy Alchemists until you can draw your deck each turn even in the face of discard attacks
- Gain 2 Golds
- Start piledriving Grand Markets

I wouldn't buy a single Silver, unless you are already overdrawing your deck. Once you run out of Mercenary fuel, buy 2 Coppers each turn with spare GM buys. Also skip Black Market, at least until you have this whole Alchemist/GM thing running, and by that time you won't really need it anyway.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure where it went wrong
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:23 am »

Your opponent beats you by building up with alchemists and black market before going into mercenaries when you sequence it the other way round. Is that always likely to happen? It's quite hard to judge but possibly yes. The urchin attack never prevents an alchemist purchase. Taking possession from the black market will blow apart your opponent's plans for an alchemist and/or grand market engine. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.