Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kickstarter: Alternative to Portable Settlers of Catan  (Read 2638 times)

jeffrey1921

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Kickstarter: Alternative to Portable Settlers of Catan
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »

Hi all,

I'm here to announce Hex Island, a portable way to play Catan or a unique hex based strategy game. We've just gone live on Kickstarter! If you are a fan of Catan, but have never been happy with their "portable" version, please take a minute to watch our video.

-Jeffrey

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hexisland/hex-island-portable

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter: Alternative to Portable Settlers of Catan
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:13:01 pm »

Hi all,

I'm here to announce Hex Island, a portable way to play Catan or a unique hex based strategy game. We've just gone live on Kickstarter! If you are a fan of Catan, but have never been happy with their "portable" version, please take a minute to watch our video.

-Jeffrey

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hexisland/hex-island-portable

I love the completely useless disclaimer that "no, seriously, this totally isn't Catan."  Good luck with that; I'm sure Klaus Teuber will be totally cool with this.

IANAL--though certainly we have a few here--but I don't think your chances are very good in the inevitable lawsuit, assuming KS doesn't shut you down first.  You might want to reconsider this.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter: Alternative to Portable Settlers of Catan
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:20:23 am »

I am not a lawyer either, but i think they have abstracted things enough to dodge actually infringing.  Based on the letter of the laws, the spirit of it has been busted in half.

Catan is a crappy game anyway, I get more games of it in than I want just from playing at home.

The video was sleazy as mess. 

I'm not even sure I want something like that allowed in the advertising section of this forum. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 20 queries.