Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Young Witch/Scheme  (Read 2604 times)

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Young Witch/Scheme
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:35:26 am »

I played a game a while ago where scheme showed up as the bane card for Young Witch. Here you get in the situation where you can always just "scheme your scheme" to keep scheme in your hand during your opponent's turn. So now you have a full stop to Young Witch.

1) What messes this up? Minion does for sure.

2) This seems pretty rare that you will get Young Witch with scheme as the bane card. Does one of you calculation beasts know what the probability is of "Given that Young Witch is around, card X will be the bane card?". I've since played 3 games like this in the past week or so.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Young Witch/Scheme
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:58:44 am »

Well... "mathguy"... isn't the probability of any given Bane card just 1/41 (or 1 in whatever the number of Bane-eligible cards is, which I think is 41)?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:19:51 pm »

Well, you also have to consider the probability that any number of the eligible Bane cards are already in the kingdom, and can no longer be Bane cards. Of course, whether that still results in a 1/41 probability, I don't know.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »

Well, you also have to consider the probability that any number of the eligible Bane cards are already in the kingdom, and can no longer be Bane cards. Of course, whether that still results in a 1/41 probability, I don't know.
Yes, it does - the probability you referred to affects all eligible bane cards equally.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 04:34:19 pm »

Actually, I think the probability is slightly higher than 1/(number of two- or three-cost cards), because of the possibility of the Young Witch showing up in the Black Market deck.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:40:23 pm »

Actually, I think the probability is slightly higher than 1/(number of two- or three-cost cards), because of the possibility of the Young Witch showing up in the Black Market deck.
Aargh, Black Market. I forgot about its... uh, unusual rules.

(In which case the answer is somewhere between 1/40 and 1/41, and depends on the size of your Black Market deck.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:00:24 pm »

Well... "mathguy"... isn't the probability of any given Bane card just 1/41 (or 1 in whatever the number of Bane-eligible cards is, which I think is 41)?

I definitely do math  8), but figuring out probabilities is my least favourite kind of math. Also, I didn't know how many eligible 2/3 cost cards there are (and I figured someone out there just knows this number).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

The bane doesn't need to be scheme itself. Schemes can keep your bane card in your next draw often enough to deter or defeat the young witch. You would however needs to play the bane card, so you'd better hope that it is not embargo.

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »

The bane doesn't need to be scheme itself. Schemes can keep your bane card in your next draw often enough to deter or defeat the young witch. You would however needs to play the bane card, so you'd better hope that it is not embargo.

Good point. I am not sure how viable it is as a hard counter. It looks like a pretty good soft deterrent.

Buying enough schemes to keep the bane card in hand seems somewhat of a waste of time (unless ironworks, conspirator or peddler is around?). If a single witch buy makes you waste 4-5 scheme buys (and forces you to reserve one card and action slot each turn for the bane), then she probably did her job.

I mean, if the bane card is a terminal, you are not going to be happy anyway (because you prefer playing a powerful terminal each turn) and if it's a cantrip, just hoard those instead of hoarding schemes?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.