Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Author Topic: New Dominion CONTEST  (Read 55591 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: New Dominion CONTEST
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2013, 10:40:50 pm »

Highway-Highway-Band of Outcasts is... interesting.
Mildly interesting.  If Pearl Diver is on the board, Band of Outcasts becomes a Grand Market with deck manipulation instead of +buy.A little effort for a little reward.  Not much more interesting than official interactions with Highwyay
I was thinking of Highway, Highway, Band of Outcasts, playing and returning a Band of Outcasts, playing and returning a Band of Outcasts... (repeat until you have an arbitrarily large amount of money)

Oh! Right!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2013, 11:13:37 pm »

Thank you for running the contest.  It was fun.

In my playtesting Halfpenny was an excellent purchase for 5/2 splits, especially if you open a dead drawer.  I'm surprised that didn't come up.  Halfpenny is like Duchess though, it won't necessarily get bought.

And to pull a little bit of a Kanye, I think Relay Rider would have been more deserving of most game ready than Benefactor.  Based on the feedback you gave, it sounded like Benefactor was crowding out other strategies.  Powerful cards that render 3 or 4 cards obselete every time they show up can lower the fun quotient a lot more than weak cards that end up functioning like 1 blank slot most of the time. 
Furthermore, Relay Rider is a self stacker card, which makes it even more important for the designer to make sure the card is weak.  Since the strategy for self stacker cards is usually simplistic, buying that particular card over and over again, a well designed self stacker needs to move the interesting decision to deciding whether to dive in and use the strategy at all.

Alchemist is a great official self stacker, because it dominates fewer than half of the boards it appears on, but requires the strategy to be considered every time.  Minion, especially at the time it was introduced, is not such a great self stacker, because most of the time it removes all other 5-6$ cards from consideration until the Minion stack has been emptied.

I'm not trying to trash Benefactor, it's a great card, but I think Relay Rider performed better in regards to needing no tweaks.  I highly doubt it needs a buff to be relevant at least some of the time, considering how closely it compares to Wishing Well, and how favorably it comes out of that comparison.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2013, 11:29:07 pm »

I mentioned this a few pages earlier and I don't think anyone responded to it, but now that Artisan has won the contest, I feel like it should be repeated.  How is Artisan substantially different from Masquerade?  I love the new mechanic, but the way that it's implemented makes it feel very similar to Masq: draw two, trash one, slightly hurt everyone else.  In fact it even maintains the aspect of "what you trash is what junks other players", although obviously to a much lesser degree (it does it in a more random/communal way).  The main difference is that this hurts everyone else much more since they cannot pass a card back, and it costs $4.  I would be surprised if Artisan is not a very dominant card on most boards.

I do feel like it's worth repeating that I really appreciate and like the new mechanic that Artisan gives, I'm not trying to bash the card or anything, I just feel like the particular implementation of it makes it a more painful Masq.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2013, 11:40:56 pm »
+1

Strong cards tend to get favored in fan card contests.  It's a pattern.

RobertJ

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »

Wow. I'm very surprised and pleased that my card won something. Also somewhat embarrassed since there are a lot of cards that look to me to be just as deserving! I agree with popsofctown that Relay Rider could consider itself unlucky.

Thanks to Dominion_Contests for running this and providing the prizes. I'll PM to claim my Governor shortly. Congrats to the other winners. Artisan is definitely a worthy winner.

Thinking about the card again. Probably whoever suggested that it should have a no victory card clause is correct. Other than that I'm not convinced it will be overpowered at $5 although this is obviously a concern. Haggler is a natural comparison and clearly Benefactor will often be better. On the other hand Haggler has a lot more flexibility (Province and Gold, Gold and $5 card etc.) which is lost in Benefactor. Perhaps there is a better choice for the vanilla effect although making it $1 looks weak.

Generally, I'm still interested in other ideas for cards which would work at any cost. It would be good to hear any thoughts here or in this thread.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9296.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2013, 08:15:32 pm »

I wouldn't add the victory clause unless I was sure it was necessary (I'm not sure, although I think it probably is necessary).

If you do add a victory clause, then you can have a high degree of certainty it's not overpowered.  Missing out on Province into Gold is a pretty huge loss compared to Haggler, especially if you can't replace it with Duchy into Duchy (might sound cloggy, but with all the Lab into Labs you did earlier it's going to be tolerable

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2013, 12:05:55 am »

Anyone else heard back yet?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2013, 06:53:09 pm »

OP delivered.  Thank you so much!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2013, 06:58:48 pm »

Gondola --- ($4 Action)

+1 Card
+1 Coin

Choose one: +1 Action, +1 Buy, +1 VP, or gain a coin token

This is strictly better than Baker.

?  It's too strong, but not strictly better than Baker, unless I'm missing something...

Oops, I misread the +1 Coin as Action. My bad!

How odd, I also thought the top part said +1 card +1 action.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2013, 10:07:22 pm »

Gondola --- ($4 Action)

+1 Card
+1 Coin

Choose one: +1 Action, +1 Buy, +1 VP, or gain a coin token

This is strictly better than Baker.

?  It's too strong, but not strictly better than Baker, unless I'm missing something...

Oops, I misread the +1 Coin as Action. My bad!

How odd, I also thought the top part said +1 card +1 action.

I think it's because we all typically write +$1 with the dollar sign in there, so we don't read "coin" as "coin" in a vanilla bonus.

RobertJ

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 01, 2013, 06:01:05 am »
+1

My Governor arrived this morning. Many thanks again Dominon_Contests.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 05, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »

I contacted Dominion_Contests last Friday, but haven't recieved a message back. But he hasn't been online since the 26th of September.

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2013, 08:35:00 pm »

I contacted Dominion_Contests last Friday, but haven't recieved a message back. But he hasn't been online since the 26th of September.
Sorry about that delay. I have been away from DSF for a while, but I have your address ect. now and i'll send your Governor out by the end of the week

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2013, 09:24:08 pm »

Sorry about that delay. I have been away from DSF for a while, but I have your address ect. now and i'll send your Governor out by the end of the week
Not a problem! Feel free to take your time.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Page created in 2.071 seconds with 21 queries.