Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 7 Wonders V + VI signups (closed)  (Read 2774 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
7 Wonders V + VI signups (closed)
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:07:37 pm »

You all know the drill by now. 7 Wonders is a short civilisation building, card drafting game for 3-7 players. These games will be for 3-4 players only, however.

Quote from: BGG
You are the leader of one of the 7 great cities of the Ancient World. Gather resources, develop commercial routes and affirm your military supremacy. Build your city and erect an architectural wonder which will transcend future times.

7 Wonders lasts three ages. In each age, players receive seven cards from a particular deck, choose one of those cards, then pass the remainder to an adjacent player, as in Fairy Tale or a Magic: the Gathering booster draft. Players reveal their cards simultaneously, paying resources if needed or collecting resources or interacting with other players in various ways. (Players have individual boards with special powers on which to organize their cards, and the boards are double-sided as in Bauza's Ghost Stories.) Each player then chooses another card from the deck they were passed, and the process repeats until players have six cards in play from that age. After three ages, the game ends.

In essence 7 Wonders is a card development game along the lines of Race for the Galaxy or Dominion. Some cards have immediate effects, while others provide bonuses or upgrades later in the game. Some cards provide discounts on future purchases. Some provide military strength to overpower your neighbors and others give nothing but victory points. Unlike Magic or Fairy Tale, however, each card is played immediately after being drafted, so you'll know which cards your neighbor is receiving and how his choices might affect what you've already built up. Cards are passed left-right-left over the three ages, so you need to keep an eye on the neighbors in both directions.

The rules for the game can be found here. You can follow the links to find expansion rules as well.

This game is open to everyone, first time players or veterans alike. Signups will close when I feel like it, or when we reach 8 people (whichever comes sooner?).

Signups:
Voltgloss
Archetype
Hyramgraff
Davio
Liopoil
eHalcyon
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:07:44 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Wonders III (+ IV)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:17:45 pm »

I'll play with whatever regarding expansions and Promos.

hyramgraff

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:19:58 pm »

/in please

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:44:45 pm »

This.  If everyone is neutral on this question, I have a slight preference to throwing everything in the mix.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:18 pm »

This.  If everyone is neutral on this question, I have a slight preference to throwing everything in the mix.

Including the promo Leaders?

I think Esteban was removed because it would slow the game down a lot, in that players cannot forward their hands while Esteban may come into play.  But I believe the same thing happens with Cities in play, because we have to wait to see if someone plays a debt card.

I would play, but I think I would prefer letting someone new play.  Is werothegreat still around?  I remember seeing him express an interest in playing 7 Wonders, but I haven't seen him on the forums lately.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Wonders V (+ VI)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »

I think Esteban was removed because it would slow the game down a lot, in that players cannot forward their hands while Esteban may come into play.  But I believe the same thing happens with Cities in play, because we have to wait to see if someone plays a debt card.

I would play, but I think I would prefer letting someone new play.  Is werothegreat still around?  I remember seeing him express an interest in playing 7 Wonders, but I haven't seen him on the forums lately.

The thing we did in Cities was that debt would be defaulted to 'pay' unless someone had explicitly asked to do otherwise before the game. That worked fine. With Esteban, you COULD just pass the cards and then take them back once he's activated. But I think that changes the card too much. What we did worked fine with cities but I wouldn't like to extend things to Esteban personally.

Also fixed the numbering. I forgot that there was a 7W game I was in, and that the team game was counted as #3, making these 5+6.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 01:10:25 pm »

The thing we did in Cities was that debt would be defaulted to 'pay' unless someone had explicitly asked to do otherwise before the game. That worked fine. With Esteban, you COULD just pass the cards and then take them back once he's activated. But I think that changes the card too much. What we did worked fine with cities but I wouldn't like to extend things to Esteban personally.

Also fixed the numbering. I forgot that there was a 7W game I was in, and that the team game was counted as #3, making these 5+6.

Maybe that's (partly) why the team game felt so slow -- we stopped forwarding hands and waited on debt.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:21:38 pm »

And decisions took a while, yeah.

Also can someone with the cards check this sheet for accuracy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPT0N9WtHcKdDBjaW5mRXFfV1ZHRnljTktRQzUwV3c#gid=15? Mostly the Guilds are the ones I'm least certain on, but cities/leaders/wonders would be nice to be checked if you're feeling generous.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:25:25 pm »

I have some time. I only have the base game, so I'll look those over.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 01:41:21 pm »

I have some time. I only have the base game, so I'll look those over.
Base-wise, everything looks good!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 01:43:20 pm »

Great, thanks. I should also look up and add the promo stuff and wonder pack, just in case.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:00 am »

Shall we start a three-player game?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 02:18:13 pm »

I think that seems best. I currently have leaders and cities in the spreadsheet, I think I'll add the wonder pack and get things set up after dinner.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:26 pm »

Always /in for 7W!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 03:55:24 pm »

With there being 14 wonders and 3 players, I'm wondering if you want to do wonder selection as 1 random wonder, or perhaps as 1 out of 2 (or perhaps 3)? Naturally 1 would be rules as written and be quicker, but out of 2 or 3 I think is a little more interesting. If we do multiple wonders, it'd be select your wonder secretly then choose a side simultaneously after seeing neighbours.

PPE: Davio leaving it until the last minute!

With there being 14 wonders and 4 players, I'm wondering if you want to do wonder selection as 1 random wonder, or perhaps as 1 out of 2 (or perhaps 3)? Naturally 1 would be rules as written and be quicker, but out of 2 or 3 I think is a little more interesting. If we do multiple wonders, it'd be select your wonder secretly then choose a side simultaneously after seeing everyone elses?

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 04:05:19 pm »

That's how I always play in RL, so I'm definitely up for that.

Also, another suggestion:  We always deal 5 Leader cards to each player for the Leader draft, rather than 4.  So that, at the end of the draft, everyone has 1 Leader card left over to be discarded.  I think it makes the Leader draft more interesting and more in keeping with the rest of the game's mechanics (and, IIRC, the game's author has also agreed with that approach).

Discarded Leaders would get shuffled back into the Leaders deck for purposes of Rome B's first stage.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 04:10:00 pm »

/in for VI.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 04:21:47 pm »

Hey, I said I was in unless there were newer players who wanted my place.  Or that's what I meant to say. :P

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »

Oh, okay. That makes 6 then, so two games of three. Any preference on organisation?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 04:29:22 pm »

oh, I was thinking that the second wouldn't start for a bit. Maybe start the first game with davio, voltgloss, archetype, and hyramgraff, and then put ehalc and I in for the second, and wait for more people.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 04:32:36 pm »

Hmm... well, I was actually only going to start because it looked like signups had stopped, but then I've just gotten 3 more (well really 2) in only a few hours. I might just leave it another day or two and see who joins.

hyramgraff

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 04:42:28 pm »

With there being 14 wonders and 3 players, I'm wondering if you want to do wonder selection as 1 random wonder, or perhaps as 1 out of 2 (or perhaps 3)? Naturally 1 would be rules as written and be quicker, but out of 2 or 3 I think is a little more interesting. If we do multiple wonders, it'd be select your wonder secretly then choose a side simultaneously after seeing neighbours.

PPE: Davio leaving it until the last minute!

With there being 14 wonders and 4 players, I'm wondering if you want to do wonder selection as 1 random wonder, or perhaps as 1 out of 2 (or perhaps 3)? Naturally 1 would be rules as written and be quicker, but out of 2 or 3 I think is a little more interesting. If we do multiple wonders, it'd be select your wonder secretly then choose a side simultaneously after seeing everyone elses?

This is my first game of 7 wonders.  So I vote for a random wonder because that gives me less to worry about.  However, I am fine with picking a wonder if the rest of you disagree.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 01:49:36 am »

I'd like to be able to pick a Wonder and I also like the 5 Leader draft suggestion.
Also fine with normal rules.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 07:35:38 pm »

I am starting the game for Volt, Hyram and Arch. The second game may still have one more space, otherwise I'll start later, or something.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 08:33:59 pm »

Thread for V (Volt, Arch, Hyram) is up

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 08:23:50 pm »

I will be starting game VI tomorrow. Last chance for someone to jump in.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 07:52:43 pm »

Tomorrow for certain definitions of "tomorrow." Let's go.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.