Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #1: Prosperity  (Read 97125 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #1: Prosperity
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2013, 01:59:57 pm »

By the way, I love Indulgence, but completely completely completely agree that it should be a terminal action, not a Treasure.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2013, 02:02:23 pm »
+1

By the way, I love Indulgence, but completely completely completely agree that it should be a terminal action, not a Treasure.

That would make it even more like Embargo. Too much so, in my opinion.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »

I don't think so. Anyway, by that logic, you could say as a Treasure it's too similar to Contraband.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »

Anyway, by that logic, you could say as a Treasure it's too similar to Contraband.

Yes, I agree.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2013, 02:09:34 pm »

I don't think it's too similar to either. It uses a related mechanic, I guess--letting your opponent influence which card you would like to buy--but in an interesting, novel way.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2013, 02:17:12 pm »
+2

Surveyor
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. You may discard a Province or Colony. If you do, +1 VP. You may return 3 VP to the supply. If you do, gain a Province.

I like this VP-Peddler a lot… until that last sentence. I will vote for this on the condition that it is struck. There is no need for it. The card gives you a cantrip way of gaining VP chips (like Baker gives you coin tokens), but limits when you can get those VP chips. It also drives the game towards completion because you need to build a deck able to buy Provinces or Colonies. I am afraid the card may be dead in Colony games, though, so maybe + more VP for discarding a Colony?

I’ve tried so hard to get a card that is a cantrip VP gainer to work, and I think this comes closer than anything I thought of.
The last sentence is crucial.  I disagree that this card will otherwise drive the game towards completion.  If you can draw your deck, then you can simply play these for 1 VP each while reusing the same Province.  Yes, you discard the Province, but Surveyor draws a card, so if you had drawn your whole deck, you'll keep redrawing the same Province and discarding it for a VP.  The last sentence tell you to eventually cash them in and finish off the Province pile.

Stock Exchange
Types: Treasure
Cost: $7
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may buy any number of VP tokens for $1 per token.

I like this a lot! But it really feels like Overpay. I really wish this could be submitted in the Guilds challenge, but since LF has dictated that VP chips must be a Prosperity card, I think I will have to end up voting for it here.
Can't wait until the next Mini-Set Design Contest!

Wedding
+1 Action. Reveal cards from the top you your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card. If you do reveal a card of each of these types, put an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card from among the revealed cards into you hand. Discard the other revealed cards.

I want to see this again in Cornucopia or Intrigue. I really like the idea here, and with some tweaking it could be great. For $4 or $5 it could put the first Victory, Action, and Treasure revealed into your hand. It does not sing Prosperity to me, though.
I agree that Prosperity is not the right place.  I'd like to see the creator think about the interaction with hybrid types more carefully and then possibly submit a revised version for Intrigue.  The revised version should be fine when no hybrid types are present, but naturally provide some cute perk for having hybrids.

Indulgence
Worth $2. +1 Buy. When you play this, the player to your left names a card in the Supply costing between $3 and $6. If you buy that card this turn, +2VP.

I feel like this is an opposite Embargo that uses VP chips. Would I just rather play with Embargo? Maybe. But I’m not sure. It also seems to encourage variety. Even though it uses VP chips, it feels more like Cornucopia to me. While it’s a nice card, I don’t find it as exciting as some of the other entries. I haven’t made my mind up on this one, yet.
Others says it feels like Cornucopia too, but I'm not really seeing it.  At least as written, I don't think it encourages all that much variety, but I suppose it would depend on the board.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »

Surveyor
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. You may discard a Province or Colony. If you do, +1 VP. You may return 3 VP to the supply. If you do, gain a Province.

I like this VP-Peddler a lot… until that last sentence. I will vote for this on the condition that it is struck. There is no need for it. The card gives you a cantrip way of gaining VP chips (like Baker gives you coin tokens), but limits when you can get those VP chips. It also drives the game towards completion because you need to build a deck able to buy Provinces or Colonies. I am afraid the card may be dead in Colony games, though, so maybe + more VP for discarding a Colony?

I’ve tried so hard to get a card that is a cantrip VP gainer to work, and I think this comes closer than anything I thought of.
The last sentence is crucial.  I disagree that this card will otherwise drive the game towards completion.  If you can draw your deck, then you can simply play these for 1 VP each while reusing the same Province.  Yes, you discard the Province, but Surveyor draws a card, so if you had drawn your whole deck, you'll keep redrawing the same Province and discarding it for a VP.  The last sentence tell you to eventually cash them in and finish off the Province pile.

That is a good point. Thanks for pointing that out. It is only 3 points, too, just like Rebuild. For some reason I thought it made the card way overpowered. But I think I may have read too quickly.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:08 pm »
+3

Funny, my first thought on Indulgence as a terminal was "that makes it more like a much weaker Goons."

Both involve +$2, +1 Buy, and give you the option of gaining VP for buying a card you don't necessarily want (Goons can obviously give you a card you do want, but most of the VP will probably come from the mega-turn at the end of the game, buying coppers/curses for points).

The differences are obviously significant (and weaker Goons != weak card, necessarily), but it explains how I found it easy to understand the play-test complaints of Indulgence turning out to be too weak in practice, and why I am stumped on how to appropriately balance the card.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2013, 02:24:37 pm »

Funny, my first thought on Indulgence as a terminal was "that makes it more like a much weaker Goons."

Both involve +$2, +1 Buy, and give you the option of gaining VP for buying a card you don't necessarily want (Goons can obviously give you a card you do want, but most of the VP will probably come from the mega-turn at the end of the game, buying coppers/curses for points).

The differences are obviously significant (and weaker Goons != weak card, necessarily), but it explains how I found it easy to understand the play-test complaints of Indulgence turning out to be too weak in practice, and why I am stumped on how to appropriately balance the card.

Interesting. That is a good comparison.

Edit: This comment definitely makes the card seem more like Prosperity than the way I was thinking about it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:36:23 pm by Polk5440 »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2013, 02:36:56 pm »

Dammit, I am the worst. I chose the worst possible time in my life to host this competition.

So I'm going back through the Prosperity submissions, associating usernames with the cards in preparation for posting the results. I find out that I've accidentally COMBINED two people's cards. I cannot apologize enough for this, especially to the person whose card effect I totally omitted.

Here's what Queen's Palace is supposed to look like:

Queen's Palace
You may choose a Treasure card in your hand. Play it three times.

And this card (which you previously knew as Queen's Palace) is called Hedge Fund and should actually cost $5:

Hedge Fund
+1 Action.
You may return a VP token. If you do, +3 Cards, +1 Buy, and each other player gets +1 VP.

Setup: Each player gets +2 VP.

My sincere apologies to those who submitted these cards! I will update the OP and the votes accordingly. If anybody has already voted and would like to also vote for the new Queen's Palace or for the cheaper version of Hedge Fund, please send me a PM.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2013, 03:07:30 pm »

Indulgence is not at all similar to Embargo.  Embargo is a one-shot that creates a persistent effect in the game that affects everyone.  It is closer to Contraband, but it is still fundamentally different.  Contraband prevents you from buying a card you want, whereas Indulgence gives you incentive to buy something else.

@LF -- I don't think it's a big deal that you messed up on those entries.  I think entrants should bear some responsibility in ensuring that their card was posted correctly.  Nobody should expect you to be perfect.

On the new Queen's Palace -- so a big Counterfeit, sort of like how KC is a big TR.  Different from Counterfeit in that it doesn't come with $1, it doesn't have +Buy and it doesn't trash.  That means it encourages playing it on your best treasure more often.  It wants +Buy more than Counterfeit does, but it's already quite strong.  Paired with Copper, QP is a Gold.  Paired with Silver, it is better than Platinum!  I think that makes this too strong, despite the possibility of whiffing.  Raising the cost doesn't help that much.  It's easy to make it worth more than Plat, so $9?  But then does it really do that much different than Plat itself?  Not really.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2013, 03:09:07 pm »
+1

I kinda like the new Queen's Palace. It's simple, that's nice.

Although, maybe it's terribroken.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2013, 03:17:11 pm »

@LF -- I don't think it's a big deal that you messed up on those entries.  I think entrants should bear some responsibility in ensuring that their card was posted correctly.

Ah, thanks. But this one was 100% my fault. My eyes somehow just glossed from the title of the card in one PM to the effect of the card in the next PM. Whoops!

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2013, 03:24:56 pm »

How much time will we have to vote?
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2013, 03:25:42 pm »

How much time will we have to vote?

Until 8:00 AM CDT on Monday.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2013, 03:29:18 pm »
+1

The new QP

On copper- $2
On silver- $4
On gold- $6
On platinum- $10

It's only worth more than gold when used on platinum.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »

So here's an interesting anecdote (to me, anyway): While people were submitting cards, one of the submissions turned out to be an exact functional duplicate of one of my own cards. By which I mean the cost, type, and effect were the same, just with a different name and wording. I let the submitter know and they informed me that is was a coincidence (which I 100% believe; it's not a super-complex card). Still, it was a Twilight Zone kind of moment reading through the card and making the realization.

The reason I bring it up now is because I'm kind of wishing I'd submitted it myself. The thing is, it wouldn't have been a really genuine submission, because I don't want it to win. (I don't feel it's a great fit for Prosperity, whereas I do feel it's a good fit for the one-shot set I have it in.) What I do want is to get awesome feedback from players like Tables and WanderingWinder, and this seems like the avenue to do it. Perhaps for future competitions I'll submit some of my cards if they fit.

Here's the card (my version) for those of you who are curious:

Fund
Worth $2. When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, +1 Buy and gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:09:21 pm by LastFootnote »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2013, 03:31:36 pm »
+1

On the new Queen's Palace -- so a big Counterfeit, sort of like how KC is a big TR.  Different from Counterfeit in that it doesn't come with $1, it doesn't have +Buy and it doesn't trash.  That means it encourages playing it on your best treasure more often.  It wants +Buy more than Counterfeit does, but it's already quite strong.  Paired with Copper, QP is a Gold.  Paired with Silver, it is better than Platinum!  I think that makes this too strong, despite the possibility of whiffing.  Raising the cost doesn't help that much.  It's easy to make it worth more than Plat, so $9?  But then does it really do that much different than Plat itself?  Not really.
Paired with Copper, it's a Silver.  QP is worth $0, tripling the Copper is worth $3, compared to the $1 that you would have gotten from Copper had you not QP'd it.  Paired with Silver, it's only worth $4; you get $6 instead of the $2 you would have gotten.

When I first read it I thought it was a terminal action, which might be reasonable.  As a treasure it seems too strong.  I'm not sure how useful playing itself three times will be, you'd probably need a large hand size or high treasure density for it to make a difference.

Edit: Ninja'd
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:33:26 pm by scott_pilgrim »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2013, 03:33:08 pm »
+2

The new QP

On copper- $2
On silver- $4
On gold- $6
On platinum- $10

No it's not. You have the numbers right there. When you use it on a Silver, it's effectively worth $4. Gold is only worth $3.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2013, 03:33:59 pm »

The new QP

On copper- $2
On silver- $4
On gold- $6
On platinum- $10

You play it three times... oh, but I guess you shouldn't count the single time you would have played the treasure with QP.  Good catch.

But no, using it on Silver still makes it worth more than Gold, and using it on Gold makes it worth more than Platinum.  So not as amazing as the way I was misinterpreting it, but still pretty darn good.  Maybe it works at $7, but I'm not convinced.  I think it would be way easier to abuse than Bank.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2013, 03:34:56 pm »

The new QP

On copper- $2
On silver- $4
On gold- $6
On platinum- $10

No it's not. You have the numbers right there. When you use it on a Silver, it's effectively worth $4. Gold is only worth $3.
Oh yeah. Duh.
I think I had it better than having 2 Golds  :P
It's probably OP.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2013, 05:29:03 pm »
+2

WW, I enjoyed your analysis of the cards, although I don't agree 100% with your critiques. It seems to me that we have slightly differing priorities when rating cards. Your priorities seem to be Elegant > Balanced >> Interesting. Or maybe Balanced > Elegant >> Interesting. For me it's Elegant > Interesting >> Balanced. Balanced is just as important as Interesting and Elegant, but Unbalanced tends to be waaaaaaay easier to fix than Boring or Clunky. Maybe I'm wrong, so forgive me if I'm off base. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.

Let's talk about Indulgence.

Indulgence: I feel like this card is too strong. Basically, what card would I not buy for an extra 2 VP? Virtually none of them. Okay, too many terminals you say. But this is a treasure! There aren't many terminals you can just buy too many of straight off the bat, particularly when basically any village just gets you there anyway. I do like the idea of the card, incentivizing you go buy weaker cards, sort of an anti contraband or anti embargo, but I feel like it would be better served being either only 1 vp, or being a terminal action (*possibly* costing 4).

You claim that the card is too strong, then explain why you'd nearly always buy the named card. But I notice that you never really explain how the latter implies the former. Even if I nearly always buy the named card, how does that make the card too strong? Having it where you almost always want to buy the named card is way better than almost never buying it and probably significantly better than buying it about half the time. Otherwise it's mostly a Silver with +1 Buy.

My question for you is, how often is a strategy that includes Indulgences and buys some cards it doesn't really want better than a well-trimmed engine that doesn't buy Indulgences?
Well, I have had this thought. And what I am saying is not necessarily how I vote, because I can say it's boring, but I don't feel like it benefits anyone. So there is that. Also, I think in many cases broken is not so easy to fix, and moreover, boring isn't often an issue. I mean, is smithy boring? Is Village boring? So there are some boring cards here, but it's subjective (very important), and I think even basic effects are interesting, and often at least as much so as complicated ones.

But probably we just have differences of opinion, and as far as I'm concerned, this is fine.

Now, about Indulgence, SirPeebles points out (and this is one of the great comparisons I've seen about dominion cards) that buying ONE card named makes this effectively harem with a buy. So, it has to be a worse card than you'd want normally, so if it were only once, then that's okay. But you know, I think that on the whole, the ability to do it more than once outweighs that (especially with the +buy), so it has to be a stronger AND cheaper card than harem. Okay, harem isn't a world-beater, so maybe this isn't game-breaking, but it doesn't give me good feelings. And I guess my point, in the larger scheme of things, about always buying the named card, isn't so much about it being too strong as about it not making an interesting decision - and actually largely reducing the interestingness of the decisions you have to make, at least relative to the other cards. So it's boring, in a way, because it's too strong.

Having said that, the idea can probably be fixed somehow, so you know, that's not a deathknell; because the concept, at least, is very nice.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:31 pm »
+2

The new Golden Decks:

KC-KC-Beggar-Beggar-Palladium

and

KC-KC-GoldenTouch-GoldenTouch-GoldenTouch  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:37:32 pm by MarkowKette »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2013, 05:40:13 pm »
+1

Now, about Indulgence, SirPeebles points out (and this is one of the great comparisons I've seen about dominion cards) that buying ONE card named makes this effectively harem with a buy. So, it has to be a worse card than you'd want normally, so if it were only once, then that's okay. But you know, I think that on the whole, the ability to do it more than once outweighs that (especially with the +buy), so it has to be a stronger AND cheaper card than harem. Okay, harem isn't a world-beater, so maybe this isn't game-breaking, but it doesn't give me good feelings. And I guess my point, in the larger scheme of things, about always buying the named card, isn't so much about it being too strong as about it not making an interesting decision - and actually largely reducing the interestingness of the decisions you have to make, at least relative to the other cards. So it's boring, in a way, because it's too strong.

It's not quite the same.  In the one case you have Harem and X, where X is something useful that you bought because you wanted it.  In the other case you have Indulgence and X, where X may very well be something useless which you bought because it came with 2VP.

The new Golden Decks:

KC-KC-Beggar-Beggar-Palladium

and

KC-KC-GoldenTouch-GoldenTouch-GoldenTouch  ;)

Palladium is a treasure, but I suppose that still works.
The second one just trashes a card and puts a Gold on top... even if you KC it, it just replaces the topdecked Gold.  So...?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:43:19 pm by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2013, 05:50:18 pm »

Well, I have had this thought. And what I am saying is not necessarily how I vote, because I can say it's boring, but I don't feel like it benefits anyone. So there is that. Also, I think in many cases broken is not so easy to fix, and moreover, boring isn't often an issue. I mean, is smithy boring? Is Village boring? So there are some boring cards here, but it's subjective (very important), and I think even basic effects are interesting, and often at least as much so as complicated ones.

Well, I think "boring" cards have their place, but that place is mostly the past. Don't get me wrong: I'd rather have an elegant, boring card than an interesting, clunky one. I just don't feel that a Treasure Chest set like this is really the place for it.

Smithy and the like were interesting at the time by virtue of Dominion being new in general. Drawing cards in Dominion wasn't an experience I had had before playing the Base Set, so it was novel. Likewise, there are lots of simple cards that are interesting by virtue of using new mechanics. Candlestick Maker is a very simple card but it can get away with it because Coin tokens are a new mechanic.

Conversely, in a Treasure Chest expansion like this, it's mostly mechanics we've seen before. The simple stuff has been done with these mechanics. I feel that any new cards using them should be interesting. But then again, that's just my opinion.

But probably we just have differences of opinion, and as far as I'm concerned, this is fine.

Agreed.

EDIT: Oh, something else I've been meaning to mention. There is a logistical reason for keeping Indulgence a Treasure. If it's an Action, then either the naming of the card has to be delayed until the Buy phase or you have to remember (possibly for quite a little while) which cards were named. Not a huge deal, but it makes the card a little clunkier.

I think I'm coming around to the possible fixes of either removing the +1 Buy or making the reward +1 VP, but I still think I'd prefer trying it with +$1 rather than +$2 first. Nobody seems to have weighed in on that proposed change.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:56:01 pm by LastFootnote »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 21 queries.