Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #1: Prosperity  (Read 96844 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #1: Prosperity
« on: August 25, 2013, 11:39:53 pm »
+25

The time for another card design contest is here! This time we are aiming to create our own Treasure Chest set: a set of 13 cards, two for each large published expansion (Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages), and one for each small published expansion (Cornucopia, Guilds, Alchemy). I will try to post one contest thread each week for 13 weeks. If we have space in the box (150 cards) left at the end, we may have a 14th contest for designing a new Prize.

Submission Rules

• Submit no more than one card per challenge.
• You are not obligated to submit a card for every challenge.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• Unlike the previous set design contest, the name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

For this Treasure Chest set, you may not submit cards that combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

I will be putting some constraints on the set as a whole.

• No more than one Victory card (ideally an Intrigue or Hinterlands card).
• No more than one Treasure card (ideally a Prosperity card).
• The raw number of cards (including randomizers) must not exceed 150.

Voting Rules

At the end of each submission period, I'll post the cards I've received and accept votes for the best ones. You may vote for as many of the submissions as you like, although you may only vote for any individual card once per ballot.

Challenge #1 : Prosperity

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Prosperity expansion. Ideally such a card will have one or more of the following qualities:

• Is a Treasure card.
• Interacts with Treasure cards (either cards with the Treasure type [like Mint], or one or more specific Treasure cards [like Counting House]).
• Costs $6 or more.
- Uses Victory Point tokens.
- Provides a non-Attack interaction.

The bullet points (•) are the set's major themes, and the hyphens (-) are the set's minor themes.

The deadline for this week's challenge is Monday, September 2, 2013 at 8am CDT. At the time I post the submissions for voting, I will endeavor to also post the next challenge, so that each week there will be one contest to submit for and one to vote on.

I'm certain I forgot something, so if you have any questions, please post them here or send me a private message and I will endeavor to answer them in a timely manner. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:43:56 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #1: Prosperity
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:40:12 pm »
+7

Voting Rules

• I will not accept votes until Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 8am CDT. There are two reasons for this. First, I've almost certainly made some mistakes and I want the card authors to have time to contact me so I can make fixes. Second, I want everybody to have the chance to critique and discuss the cards for a few days.
• The deadline for turning in your ballots is Monday, September 9, 2013 at 8am CDT.
• We are using an approval voting system. That means you can vote for as many of the cards as you like, but only once for each card. Feel free to vote for your own card if you submitted one. When you send in your ballot, simply list the cards you'd like to vote for.
• I will generally not accept revisions to ballots. I recommend you send your ballot in later rather than earlier in case you change your mind about some of your votes.
• The winning card may (and likely will) be revised, so I encourage you vote for a card if you think it could be great with a different cost or some slight tweaking.

Relic
Types: Treasure
Cost: $6
Worth $2. When you play this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand and play area. If you trashed at least one Action card, +$2 and +1 VP.

Artist
Types: Action
+$3. You may trash this. If you do, the first time you buy a Victory card this turn, +3 VP.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, +1 VP.

EDIT: Artist fixed. I had missed that it gives +$3.

Usurer
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Discard the rest. Trash the Treasure; gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player may gain a Copper, putting it into his hand.

Treasure Chest
Cost: $4
Worth $1. When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If it is a Treasure, gain a Silver

Strong Room
Cost: $5
+4 Cards. +1 Action. You may return up to 4 VP tokens. Discard 4 cards, minus 1 card per VP token returned.

In games using this, at the beginning of each turn of the player who went first, each player gets +1 VP.

Metropolis
Cost: $7
+1 Card. +2 Actions. Treasure cards other than Copper produce an extra $1 this turn.

Stock Exchange
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may buy any number of VP tokens for $1 per token.

Chalice
Worth $3.

While this is in play, when you buy a Treasure card gain 2 Coppers, when you buy a Victory card gain a Curse.

Surveyor
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. You may discard a Province or Colony. If you do, +1 VP. You may return 3 VP to the supply. If you do, gain a Province.

EDIT: Fixed Surveyor. You discard a Province or Colony, not just reveal it from your hand.

Gilded Statue
Worth $2. When you play this, you may discard a Treasure. If you do, gain a Gold.

When you gain this, gain an Action card costing up to $4.

Railway Town
+1 Card. +2 Actions. +$1. If you have played railway town at least twice this turn, +1 Buy. If you have played it at least three times this turn, +1 VP. If you have played it at least four times this turn, +$1. If you have played it at least five times this turn, +1 Card.

Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player gains a card costing at most $2 less than it.

Wedding
+1 Action. Reveal cards from the top you your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card. If you do reveal a card of each of these types, put an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card from among the revealed cards into you hand. Discard the other revealed cards.

Palace
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, during the Buy phase, Colonies cost $2 less, but not less than $0. While this is in play, when you buy a Platinum, +2 VP.
Setup: Add Colony and Platinum to the Supply.

Crown (A)
Cost: $8*
Worth $1. When you play this, gain 2 Treasure cards.

During your turn, this costs $1 less per 2 VP chips you have.
When you gain this, +2 VP.

Cathedral
Gain two action cards costing less than this and a Gold.

King's Greed
Cost: $10
Put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile and set aside up to 3 Action cards from it. Play them in any order.

Mediator
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $3
+$3. Reveal 3 cards from your hand. The player to your left selects one of them. Discard it or put it on top of your deck.

When another player plays an Attack, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 VP, and at the start of your next turn, discard this.

EDIT: Mediator fixed. I had missed that it gives +$3.

Prospector
+1 Buy. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand. Discard the rest. Each other player may discard a Treasure. If he does, he draws a card.

Jeweller
+2 VP. Gain a Gold.

Hunter
Trash any number of cards from your hand. For each card you trash, +1 Card and +$1.

Forum
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

While this is in play, when you play a Silver, you may trash that Silver. If you do, +1 VP.

Statue
Discard up to 3 cards from your hand. +1 VP per card discarded.

Aqueduct (A)
+2 Buys. +$2. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand and discard the rest.

Deed
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Worth $2

When you gain a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, +2 VP.

Philanthropist
+3 VP. Each other player gains a card costing up to $5.

Clearing House
+2 Cards. +1 Action. You may trash any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +1 Card per card trashed in this way.

Workhouse
+$4.

Gemstone
Worth $1. Rarity cards cost $6 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or more to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Rarity cards and cost $5 more.

Ascetic
Cost: $2
Trash this and any number of Treasures from your hand. +1 VP for each Treasure trashed this way.

Dividends
Worth $1. When you play this, gain a Treasure card costing less than this, putting it into your hand.

Villa
+1 Action. Play up to 2 Treasures from your hand. Draw until you have 4 cards in hand.

Golden Touch
Trash the top card of your deck. Gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.

Aqueduct (B)
+1 Action. +$2. Discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.

While this is in play, Attack cards you play have no effect on other players.

Inheritance
+1 Buy.

While this is in play, Treasure cards costs $3 less, but not less than $0.

Crown (B)
Worth $4.

When you gain this, each other player gets +2 VP.

Standard Bearer
Trash this card. Put your deck (not including your discard pile) into your hand.

Griffin
When you play this, reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card revealed.

Once per turn, while this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, +1 Buy and +$1.

Charity (B)
Worth $1. When you play this, choose one: Each player gains a Copper; or each player gains a Silver. Either way, put the card you gained into your hand.

Fountain
Worth $0. When you play this, if you have no other Treasures in play, +2 VP. You may trash this immediately. If you do, +$2.

Savant
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Each other player draws a card, then reveals and discards one or more cards. He gets +1 VP per Action or Treasure card he discards.

Patent
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a card that is not a Victory card, you may gain a copy of it, putting it on top of your deck. If you do, trash this.

Queen's Palace
You may choose a Treasure card in your hand. Play it three times.

Hedge Fund
+1 Action.
You may return a VP token. If you do, +3 Cards, +1 Buy, and each other player gets +1 VP.

Setup: Each player gets +2 VP.

Mafia
Types: Action – Attack
Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure that you choose, and discards the rest. You may gain any or all of the trashed cards. +1 VP per card you gain this way.

Witch's Trove
Worth $2. When you play this, reveal you hand and discard all revealed Curses. +$3 for each Curse discarded. You may gain a Curse.

Palladium
Worth $4. +1 Buy. When you play this, trash all Treasures you have in play. +1 VP for each card trashed.

Banknote
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have 4 or more differently named Treasures in play, +$2.

Cost: $10*
Worth $4.

Unless in play, this costs $2 less per card costing $6 or more you have in play, but not less than $0.

Silk Merchant
+$2. You may trash two cards from your hand. If you do, +1 VP per token on the Trade Route mat.

Setup: Put a token on each Victory card Supply pile. When a card is gained from that pile, move the token to the Trade Route mat.

Clarification: The Trade Route mat and tokens referred to by Silk Merchant are the same as those referred to by Trade Route.  If both Trade Route and Silk Merchant are in the kingdom and/or Black Market deck, use only one token on each victory card pile.

Indulgence
Worth $2. +1 Buy. When you play this, the player to your left names a card in the Supply costing between $3 and $6. If you buy that card this turn, +2VP.

Smelter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card. Trash an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card from the revealed cards. If you do, gain 3 Golds.

Rosary
Types: Treasure – Attack
Worth $2. When you play this, each other player may trash a Treasure or Action card from his hand. If he does not, he gains 2 Coppers, putting one into his hand.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:39:47 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:40:23 pm »
+10

27 votes:

Quote from: SirPeebles
Indulgence
Worth $2. +1 Buy. When you play this, the player to your left chooses a card in the Supply costing between $3 and $6. When you buy a copy of that card this turn, +2VP.

17 votes:

Quote from: Schneau
Metropolis
+1 Card. +2 Actions. Treasure cards other than Copper produce an extra $1 this turn.

16 votes:

Quote from: market squire
Villa
+1 Action. Play up to 2 Treasures from your hand. Draw until you have 4 cards in hand.

15 votes:

Quote from: Julle
Charity (A)
Worth $4. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, each other player gains a card costing at most $2 less than it.

Quote from: Tables
Philanthropist
+3 VP. Each other player gains a card costing up to $5.

14 votes:

Quote from: cluckyb
Prospector
+1 Buy. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand. Discard the rest. Each other player may discard a Treasure. If he does, he draws a card.

Quote from: Powerman
Usurer
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Discard the rest. Trash the Treasure; gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player may gain a Copper, putting it into his hand.

13 votes:

Quote from: Mecherath
Deed
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Worth $2

When you gain a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, +2 VP.

Quote from: A Drowned Kernel
Forum
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

While this is in play, when you play a Silver, you may trash that Silver. If you do, +1 VP.

11 votes:

Quote from: scott_pilgrim
Silk Merchant
+$2. You may trash two cards from your hand. If you do, +1 VP per token on the Trade Route mat.

Setup: Put a token on each Victory card Supply pile. When a card is gained from that pile, move the token to the Trade Route mat.

Clarification: The Trade Route mat and tokens referred to by Silk Merchant are the same as those referred to by Trade Route.  If both Trade Route and Silk Merchant are in the kingdom and/or Black Market deck, use only one token on each victory card pile.

9 votes:

Quote from: Just a Rube
Patent
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a card that is not a Victory card, you may gain a copy of it, putting it on top of your deck. If you do, trash this.

8 votes:

Quote from: GeronimoRex
Clearing House
+2 Cards. +1 Action. You may trash any number of Treasure cards from your hand. +1 Card per card trashed in this way.

Quote from: Watno
Gemstone
Worth $1. Rarity cards cost $6 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or more to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Rarity cards and cost $5 more.

Quote from: Kirian
Hunter
Trash any number of cards from your hand. For each card you trash, +1 Card and +$1.

Quote from: Zappie
Queen's Palace
You may choose a Treasure card in your hand. Play it three times.

Quote from: WrClass
Surveyor
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. You may discard a Province or Colony. If you do, +1 VP. You may return 3 VP to the supply. If you do, gain a Province.

7 votes:

Quote from: Titandrake
Charity (B)
Worth $1. When you play this, choose one: Each player gains a Copper; or each player gains a Silver. Either way, put the card you gained into your hand.

Quote from: Delirious Deleuze
Inheritance
+1 Buy.

While this is in play, Treasure cards costs $3 less, but not less than $0.

6 votes:

Quote from: Nic
Ascetic
Cost: $2
Trash this and any number of Treasures from your hand. +1 VP for each Treasure trashed this way.

Quote from: jamespotter
Gilded Statue
Worth $2. When you play this, you may discard a Treasure. If you do, gain a Gold.

When you gain this, gain an Action card costing up to $4.

Quote from: nopawnsintended
Hedge Fund
+1 Action.
You may return a VP token. If you do, +3 Cards, +1 Buy, and each other player gets +1 VP.

Setup: Each player gets +2 VP.

Quote from: WanderingWinder
Palladium
Worth $4. +1 Buy. When you play this, trash all Treasures you have in play. +1 VP for each card trashed.

Quote from: XerxesPraelor
Relic
Worth $2. When you play this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand and play area. If you trashed at least one Action card, +$2 and +1 VP.

5 votes:

Quote from: dnkywin
Fountain
Worth $0. When you play this, if you have no other Treasures in play, +2 VP. You may trash this immediately. If you do, +$2.

Quote from: eHalcyon
Rosary
Types: Treasure – Attack
Worth $2. When you play this, each other player may trash a Treasure or Action card from his hand. If he does not, he gains 2 Coppers, putting one into his hand.

Quote from: awildnoobappeared
Savant
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Each other player draws a card, then reveals and discards one or more cards. He gets +1 VP per Action or Treasure card he discards.

Quote from: GwinnR
Stock Exchange
Worth $2.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may buy any number of VP tokens for $1 per token.

Quote from: Nicrosil
Strong Room
+4 Cards. +1 Action. You may return up to 4 VP tokens. Discard 4 cards, minus 1 card per VP token returned.

In games using this, at the beginning of each turn of the player who went first, each player gets +1 VP.

Quote from: Aidan Millow
Wedding
+1 Action. Reveal cards from the top you your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card. If you do reveal a card of each of these types, put an Action card, a Treasure card and a Victory card from among the revealed cards into you hand. Discard the other revealed cards.

4 votes:

Quote from: ConMan
Dividends
Worth $1. When you play this, gain a Treasure card costing less than this, putting it into your hand.

Quote from: mail-mi
Griffin
When you play this, reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card revealed.

Once per turn, while this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, +1 Buy and +$1.

Quote from: liopoil
Mafia
Types: Action – Attack
Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure that you choose, and discards the rest. You may gain any or all of the trashed cards. +1 VP per card you gain this way.

Quote from: Fragasnap
Mediator
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $3
+$3. Reveal 3 cards from your hand. The player to your left selects one of them. Discard it or put it on top of your deck.

When another player plays an Attack, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 VP, and at the start of your next turn, discard this.

3 votes:

Quote from: ChocophileBenj
Artist
+$3. You may trash this. If you do, the first time you buy a Victory card this turn, +3 VP.

While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, +1 VP.

Quote from: sudgy
Crown (B)
Worth $4.

When you gain this, each other player gets +2 VP.

Quote from: jackelfrink
Golden Touch
Trash the top card of your deck. Gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.

Quote from: Eistee
Jeweller
+2 VP. Gain a Gold.

Quote from: florrat
Palace
+1 Buy. +$1.

While this is in play, during the Buy phase, Colonies cost $2 less, but not less than $0. While this is in play, when you buy a Platinum, +2 VP.
Setup: Add Colony and Platinum to the Supply.

Quote from: heron
Smelter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card. Trash an Action card, a Treasure card, and a Victory card from the revealed cards. If you do, gain 3 Golds.

Quote from: Archetype
Treasure Chest
Worth $1. When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If it is a Treasure, gain a Silver

2 votes:

Quote from: markusin
Aqueduct (A)
+2 Buys. +$2. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards into your hand and discard the rest.

Quote from: Dsell
Cathedral
Gain two action cards costing less than this and a Gold.

Quote from: RobertJ
Chalice
Worth $3.

While this is in play, when you buy a Treasure card gain 2 Coppers, when you buy a Victory card gain a Curse.

Quote from: Jack Rudd
Railway Town
+1 Card. +2 Actions. +$1. If you have played railway town at least twice this turn, +1 Buy. If you have played it at least three times this turn, +1 VP. If you have played it at least four times this turn, +$1. If you have played it at least five times this turn, +1 Card.

Quote from: Guy Srinivasan
Cost: $10*
Worth $4.

Unless in play, this costs $2 less per card costing $6 or more you have in play, but not less than $0.

Quote from: Polk5440
Standard Bearer
Trash this card. Put your deck (not including your discard pile) into your hand.

1 vote:

Quote from: Asper
Aqueduct (B)
+1 Action. +$2. Discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.

While this is in play, Attack cards you play have no effect on other players.

Quote from: HeavyD
Banknote
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have 4 or more differently named Treasures in play, +$2.

Quote from: Robz888
Crown (A)
Cost: $8*
Worth $1. When you play this, gain 2 Treasure cards.

During your turn, this costs $1 less per 2 VP chips you have.
When you gain this, +2 VP.

Quote from: Beyond Awesome
King's Greed
Cost: $10
Put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile and set aside up to 3 Action cards from it. Play them in any order.

Quote from: yuma
Statue
Discard up to 3 cards from your hand. +1 VP per card discarded.

Quote from: LuciferousPeridot
Witch's Trove
Worth $2. When you play this, reveal you hand and discard all revealed Curses. +$3 for each Curse discarded. You may gain a Curse.

0 votes:

Quote from: Drab Emordnilap
Workhouse
+$4.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:47:03 pm by LastFootnote »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:46:26 am »
+1

Perhaps LastFootnote ought to get moderator privileges for this board?
Well you *do* need a signature...

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:17:49 am »

The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set.

Does this mean that a card submitted for an Intrigue slot can't have a "while in play" clause?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:19:30 am »
+7

Intrigue also can't have any cards which require the Lose Track rule, such as Mining Village.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:25:23 am »

I think dark ages is the only set with on-trash effects.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:00:51 am »

Intrigue also can't have any cards which require the Lose Track rule, such as Mining Village.

Not sure if serious...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:03:38 am »

Does this mean that a card submitted for an Intrigue slot can't have a "while in play" clause?

No, that's fine. "While in play" rules may not be in the Intrigue rulebook, but it's a fairly self-explanatory mechanic that appears in most sets. I'm ruling that such a card can be submitted to any contest.

After all, if Dominion were being remade now, Coppersmith and Bridge might very well have that wording. ;D

I get that you're joking, but just to be clear, you can submit a card that might require lose-track to any contest. In general, if you can word your card cleanly such that it doesn't need lose-track, endeavor to do so.

I think dark ages is the only set with on-trash effects.

True. However, it's the kind of rule (like on-gain) that could potentially be in several sets. Dark Ages was just planned for the last set. That being said, if you submit a card with an on-trash clause to a non-Dark Ages contest, that clause should be key to the card's concept, which in turn should be appropriate for the contest it's being submitted to.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:18:27 am »

The important question is, what kind of cool code names are you going to come up with for the ballots?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:27 am »

The important question is, what kind of cool code names are you going to come up with for the ballots?

He already stated that submitted card names would be public.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 11:23:17 am »
+5

I'm not. I feel that the name of a card is part-and-parcel with the rest of it. I understand the idea of voting based only on the card's effect rather than the name, but I don't agree with it. I could definitely be convinced otherwise. You all have a week to try to convince me if it's important to you.

If I were to use code names, they'd be Pokémon.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:01:53 pm by LastFootnote »

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:27:52 pm »
+1

I'm not. I feel that the name of a card is part-and-parcel with the rest of it. I understand the idea of voting based only on the card's effect rather than the name, but I don't agree with it. I could definitely be convinced otherwise. You all have a week to try to convince me if it's important to you.

If I were to use code names, they'd be Pokemon.

Me for every voting round:

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »
+5

Suggestion: make this a new subforum (or... sub-subforum?) to keep the two contests neatly organized.

Questions:
- Will you reject submissions if they do not "fit" with the theme (e.g. it does not have the properties of a Prosperity card), or will this judgement be left to the voters?
- Will there be any [other] reason for submission rejection?
- In light of the set size restriction of 150 cards, what will you do in the event of a tie?  An extra tie-breaking voting period, perhaps?
- Will there be a special voting procedure?  For example, in the first contest you could give 3 points to one card, or 2 points to 2 cards (and either way, 1 point to any number of cards).  Also, contestants would garner 1 point for their own card if they voted for anyone else (you could not vote for your own).  I believe this latter point was to encourage contestants to also vote, because voting for the competition would otherwise hurt your own chances.
- Are voters encouraged to vote for cards as if they were complete, or should they vote keeping in mind that the card may be tweaked pending playtest results?  I think in the first contest this was left up to the judgement of the voters.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:47:07 pm by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 01:22:53 pm »
+3

- Will you reject submissions if they do not "fit" with the theme (e.g. it does not have the properties of a Prosperity card), or will this judgement be left to the voters?

If I don't think a card fits the theme, I will message the submitter and ask why he/she thinks the submitted card is appropriate for that expansion. From there I'll decide on a case-by-case basis. In general I'll err on the side of allowing cards and letting the voters decide.

- Will there be any [other] reason for submission rejection?

Maybe? Nothing I can think of off of the top of my head. If I have concerns about a submission, I'll PM the person about it.

- In light of the set size restriction of 150 cards, what will you do in the event of a tie?  An extra tie-breaking voting period, perhaps?

Correct. If there is a tie, another round of voting will be done with just the winners (same rules). If no further cards are eliminated after such a vote (there's still a tie between all remaining contenders), then I will choose a winner because TYRANT!

- Will there be a special voting procedure?  For example, in the first contest you could give 3 points to one card, or 2 points to 2 cards (and either way, 1 point to any number of cards).  Also, contestants would garner 1 point for their own card if they voted for anyone else (you could not vote for your own).  I believe this latter point was to encourage contestants to also vote, because voting for the competition would otherwise hurt your own chances.

Just one vote per person per card submitted. Vote for as many cards as you want per ballot, but you may only vote for each card on the ballot once. Straight-up approval voting. You are encouraged to vote for your own submission and any others you think would make good cards.

- Are voters encouraged to vote for cards as if they were complete, or should they vote keeping in mind that the card may be tweaked pending playtest results?  I think in the first contest this was left up to the judgement of the voters.

You are encouraged to vote for cards that you think would be great after playtesting and tweaking. If you think an idea is awesome but the card is miscosted, go ahead and vote for it. Likewise for other minor changes. If you think the concept of the card is fundamentally flawed, definitely do not vote for it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:37:45 pm by LastFootnote »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 03:41:19 pm »

I realise it's unlike you're going to change the rules now, but I think one major thing a treasure chest expansion should do is having cards which incorporate multiple expansions mechanics. This doesn't mean EVERY card should do so, but I think there's potential there for ideas, and making a treasure chest that explicitly avoids it feels kind of like it's missing a big potential thing.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 03:46:15 pm »
+3

The way I see it, LastFootnote is actually really doing this for us right now.  Whatever he wants the rules to be are fine by me.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 03:48:26 pm »

I realise it's unlike you're going to change the rules now, but I think one major thing a treasure chest expansion should do is having cards which incorporate multiple expansions mechanics. This doesn't mean EVERY card should do so, but I think there's potential there for ideas, and making a treasure chest that explicitly avoids it feels kind of like it's missing a big potential thing.

This was addressed already:

Ideally, I'd like to avoid mixing too many mechanics for this contest. I'd like to see us come up with cards that could be slotted into their respective expansion without the need to own any other sets. At minimum, this means that Looters and cards that reference Spoils could only be Dark Ages cards, cards that use VP tokens could only be Prosperity cards, etc.

However, this leaves the door open for another similar project in the future where we do mix mechanics. I'm guessing there wouldn't be a ton of overlap for submissions between these two sets and I think it'd be cool to see how each one plays out.

As for what this set will look like as a whole, it would be nice if it worked in its own context, but for me the higher priority is for each card to work in the context of its native expansion. If we end up with (for instance) no Villages in the final set, so be it.

Two more questions:

- Are the restrictions of max 1 Victory and max 1 Treasure strict?  They seem quite limiting if, for example, a Treasure-Victory card won.  Moreover, this can cause conflict due to scheduling.  Voting occurs at the same time submissions open for the next card, which means it is possible that (for example) a Victory card wins both.

- May we nominate cards posted in the forum that are not our own?  I assume not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:07 pm »
+4

I would like to see this restriction: "eHalcyon doesn't get to participate." His cards are just too good!

(I'm only kidding of course.)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 03:51:33 pm »
+3

- Are the restrictions of max 1 Victory and max 1 Treasure strict?  They seem quite limiting if, for example, a Treasure-Victory card won.  Moreover, this can cause conflict due to scheduling.  Voting occurs at the same time submissions open for the next card, which means it is possible that (for example) a Victory card wins both.

No, they're not strict. Good call on the simultaneous voting and submitting.

- May we nominate cards posted in the forum that are not our own?  I assume not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not without the express written consent of Major League Baseball the original author.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 03:52:19 pm »
+1

I would like to see this restriction: "eHalcyon doesn't get to participate." His cards are just too good!

Wasn't sure if I should bring it up myself, or if that would seem arrogant. :P

I was thinking that I might submit, and if I won one then I would stop.  I believe some people did that in the first contest, whereas I showed no mercy. ;)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »
+1

Eagle Scout
$8 Action

+1 Action.

Reveal the top four cards of your deck.  Put all revealed eHaclyon cards into your hand, and return the rest to the top of your deck in any order.  All other players gain a Province.

too strong?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 03:54:55 pm »

No, they're not strict. Good call on the simultaneous voting and submitting.

To clarify: after a Victory or a Treasure has won, will future submissions be rejected if they share that type?

Also, I suppose that if a Victory-Treasure wins, either a Victory or a Treasure would still be accepted but no more after that (barring the timing issues described above).

Edit:

Also, since some expansions will have multiple slots, how will that be handled?  For example, will there be more Prosperity contests in the future, or will the top 2 (or 3?) from this contest be selected?  I advocate multiple contests so that contestants can submit cards based on perceived needs of the set.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:59:20 pm by eHalcyon »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 04:03:41 pm »
+2

I was thinking that I might submit, and if I won one then I would stop.  I believe some people did that in the first contest, whereas I showed no mercy. ;)

Bring it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 21 queries.