Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 322262 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #1325 on: May 01, 2019, 06:32:18 am »

Hi Udzu,

glad to hear that you like the cards :)
I hope they will entertain you well.

About your questions:
  • There are 10 Zombies and they do not have their own pile. They only come with Necromancer.
  • There are 6 Loyal Subjects and they are pile-less like Shelters or Heirlooms.
  • Assemble is supposed to let you choose the order, but I see the wording is unclear about this.
  • I'm afraid there is no real "history" of cards, unless you count my posts in this thread whenever I announed a change. Even then, I might occasionally have changed a minor detail without posting about it specifically. Sorry.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +147
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 01, 2019, 02:06:49 pm »
+1

Thanks! The cards have been really fun to play with so far, fitting seamlessly into kingdoms with published cards.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 02, 2019, 06:39:13 am »

Thanks! The cards have been really fun to play with so far, fitting seamlessly into kingdoms with published cards.

Glad to hear! Don't hesitate to leave any feedback, positive or negative :)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 05, 2019, 04:00:23 pm »
+1

You asked for some Feat suggestions in the "Weekly Design Contest", but posting a response here seems more appropriate. Anyways, I have a few random Feat suggestions:

-"Played same number of Action and Treasure cards in a turn."
-"Made $11 or more $." (Or some other high $ value.)
-"Started 4 turns between discard pile shuffles." (Or some number of turns that makes sense. Potentially hard to track.)
-"Gained a Curse." or "Gained a Curse during your turn." (The latter not effecting Curse Attacks.)

Really like the Feat idea. Some quick questions:

-Are you still planning to have multiple/different Feat boards that can be used?
-Have you considered having more Feats on the Feat Board? Like 4 Feats on the bottom, 3 Feats for the middle, and 2 Feats for the top.
-Have you considered having Fame cards care about what Fame Tier you've reached? (A Fame Tier being the rows on the Feat Board.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:15:07 pm by Kudasai »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 23, 2019, 09:48:29 pm »

Tithe gives infinite with Fortress. Sorry if somebody else has pointed that out already.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 29, 2019, 10:16:02 pm »

Oh no, all the images have disappeared :(

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 30, 2019, 01:23:43 am »

Oh no, all the images have disappeared :(
Sometimes it happens, that you lose your interests. I hope, that Asper will come back some day.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:29:49 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 01, 2020, 01:04:03 am »
+8

I'm very sorry for this inconvenience.

I have had some discussions with a friend recently involving European copyright, art and similar topics, and it came to my attention that technically, by using the pictures of an artist without their permission, regardless of whether I was crediting them, I did a potentially punishable offense.

Because of this, because I work in an environment where I want to be on good terms with the artist community, and because I want artists to get their fair share, I decided that I couldn't just keep on using their art like that. Whoever has followed me on BGG might know that I did some other custom stuff there, too. Over there, I have been starting to co-op with artists to get my foreign art replaced with original art.

For Dominion, this entire process seems unfeasible. There are just so many cards, and I honestly am not as interested in the game anymore. Yesterday I played the first game in years. Approaching tens, perhaps over 100 artists about each work I currently use, picking replacements etc just seemed too much regarding it's not something I love anymore. So I decided to delete my imgur images without replacement, trusting that my cards were documented well enough by other users of the community to retrieve them, if there should be interest.

I still have all most of the files as they were posted here and am quite willing to send anybody interested a link where they can be downloaded for personal use. Also, If anybody likes to, feel free to do new art for them.

I hope this answers some questions I may have caused. Also, I hope you all had an excellent transition into the new year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:10:16 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 02, 2020, 10:03:13 am »
+7

Added the card in text form to the OP.

Amuzet

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 12, 2020, 02:56:41 pm »

So glad I found you after you or Rio took down your cards from the Steam Workshop.
I understand wanting to make sure you get the artist's permission or custom art to replace ones with which you can't get permission can be a pain.
I'd like to use them in my games while quarantine is in effect for me, so i'd be fine getting the art for most of them since you seem not interested in dominion at the moment.

And maybe a few rewording for some cards for my own personal use?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 15, 2020, 10:44:51 am »

So glad I found you after you or Rio took down your cards from the Steam Workshop.
I understand wanting to make sure you get the artist's permission or custom art to replace ones with which you can't get permission can be a pain.
I'd like to use them in my games while quarantine is in effect for me, so i'd be fine getting the art for most of them since you seem not interested in dominion at the moment.

And maybe a few rewording for some cards for my own personal use?
I'm FailureFactory on Steam. Befriend me there and I can share the cards for personal use. I'm hardly online here anymore.

tsunemi_i

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 11, 2021, 01:02:47 am »
+8

Hi, I made your Seasons and Spellcasters sets translated into Japanese text and printed them so that it can actually play!
(Created the designs for season-board and spell cards on my own.)

I have about two proposals. The first, the description of Ballroom(in Seasons set) change as follows by using the "Command" added in the "Dominion 2019 Errata and Rule tweaks".
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=3767.msg16319#msg16319

Ballroom
  $5 / Action-Command-Season
  In Spring and Summer: Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, leaving it there. Gain a copy of it;
  In Fall and Winter: You may play an Action card from your hand twice.

The second, the description of Student(in Seasons set) change as follows by using the tokens managed individually by each player like as Sinister Plot.
I thought your idea of description of Student that enhance performance by player tokens is so good! However... for games that use the Way(in Menagerie set), it seems that become too powerful.

Student
  $3 / Action-Season
  In Spring and Fall, +1 Action, add one your token on the Student Supply pile.
  In Summer and Winter, +1 Card each your tokens on the Student Supply pile.
  ------
  The start of Spring and Fall, remove all tokens on the Student Supply pile.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: January 18, 2022, 07:59:44 am »
+1

Hi there, sorry for reacting so much later than you wrote, I am not online here a lot anymore. These translations looks really amazing! 素敵ですよ。

I'm not sure why Ballroom would really need that change, but admittedly I have been out of the loop for a while. Ballroom doesn't emulate another card, it actually gains it and can only play it if that succeeds. I suppose one could rule out Command cards just to be sure, though: "Gain a non-Command Action from the Supply and play it."

I'm not sure how I feel about your change to Student - it's a very different card as you describe it. But of course, feel free to do whatever you like.

If you are interested, I made a few more card since. Just let me know.

tsunemi_i

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 17, 2022, 07:51:14 am »
+5

Hello, It's been a while since the previous report, but I played with my friends playing with Season cards.
Even if mix Season cards with original Dominion sets, I haven't seen any serious contradictions in the rules or the game balance being disrupted so far, and it's a lot of fun to play. Sojourner, Lumberman, and Mistress were especially popular!

I think personally that introducing Season cards for all Kingdom cards in game would make it too complicated. Therefore, when we testplaying Season set, choose one of original Dominion pack, then use 5-6 cards from it, and 4-5 Season cards.
We've already tried combinations with Basic, Intrigue, Seaside, Cornucopia, Hinterland, Dark Ages, Guild, Adventures, and Renaissance each. When combined with a powerful cards in supply like the Renaissance set, the game often ended before Winter coming.

I took pictures of the scene playing with Season cards a few days ago. We're enjoying like this:

(* Sorry, I don't know how to keep a small image displayed here so that the viewer can click on the image to see it in full size ...)

The Season system and cards can seems to combined with the just-released "Dominion: Allies" without any problems. As soon as get a cards of Allies set that can actually play with, we'll give it a try. I'm really looking forward to play it!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 16, 2022, 05:08:05 pm »
+2

Playing Allies and enjoying it quite a bit so far. It's funny that Dock is an official card now.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 19, 2022, 10:16:55 am »
+6

Decided to re-add the images for my cards. There might also be one or two newcomers here.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 19, 2022, 12:56:02 pm »

If by "it" you mean the trashed card, then this doesn't make sense because why trash a card if you're just going to immediately put it back into your hand? You might as well just reveal a card from your hand instead in that case. And if by "it" you mean the Silver(s), then that's grammatically incorrect in the case that you gain multiple Silvers, and you can simply say to gain the Silvers to your hand, i.e. "to gain a Silver to your hand per it costs (round down)."

This needs to reveal cards from your deck instead of discarding them. As worded, it would go infinitely if you don't have two Treasures in your deck.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 19, 2022, 01:08:10 pm »
+1

Welp, you are right on Lumberman. I was sloppy when recreating the image.

For Baroness, gaining a Silver and putting it into your hand is repeated, so I don't see how that's grammatically incorrect. But I see how it could be misunderstood.

Anyhow, glad to see the forums are still the same as when I left.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 19, 2022, 01:18:40 pm »
+1

Eh, I think I get what you mean for Baroness, the instructions should be in another order, with the "per 2 it costs" at the end. Still, your suggestion is better.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 01:20:24 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 19, 2022, 01:38:01 pm »
+1

To tell the truth, I've mostly been active as a custom creator for another game over the last years (Disney Villainous), and it has severely impacted my grasp of Dominion lingo (e.g. "putting them in your hand"... Or is it "into your hand"?). So I'm glad if I got half of them still right.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 19, 2022, 02:20:55 pm »
+1

This looks really weak to me. Without the Reaction, it's strictly worse* than Dungeon at the same price, and the Reaction helps your opponents just as much as it helps you, so it doesn't really add much to its strength.

Wording suggestion, taking a page from Artificer: "You may gain a card costing up to per differently named card revealed."

Wording suggestion to shorten the bottom part: "You may trash a card from your hand to gain a different card with up to the same cost." Taking a page from Swap. That said, Donald is changing effects like this that have to be on-buy to be "when you gain a card you bought" so as to make it so you trigger the effect after gaining the bought card instead of before.

Wording suggestion: "You may discard, in order, an Estate for +3 Cards, a Duchy for +$3, and/or a Victory card for +3 Actions."

The "from the __ pile" part is no longer necessary, you can just say "you may gain a Road." Non-Supply piles can now be gained without specifying the pile as long as they are called out by name (the "from its pile" part is still necessary for Swamp gaining Spirits because it doesn't call out a specific Spirit).

I know this used to be called Hunter but you changed the name because of Allies, but Tracker is also taken:

Donald X is avoiding while-in-play effects nowadays, so you could change this to "This turn, Attack cards you play don't affect other players" if you care about that sort of thing.

The general consensus is that Grand Market, which is weaker than this, is a $7.5 without the no-Coppers restriction, so this is too strong even without taking into account the ability to end the game more easily.

Plundering
Event
Gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile.

As with Outskirts, you don't need "from the Spoils pile."

Parting
Event
Flip your Journey Token over. If it is face-up, gain a card costing up to $5.

I know this is really nitpicky, but the official term is "turn your Journey token over."

Buerocracy
Event
Move your Bureaucracy Token to another Supply pile. (When you gain a card from a pile with your Bureaucracy Token on it, put it onto your deck).
Setup: Each player puts their Bureaucracy Token on the Province pile.

The name of the Event is misspelled, while the name of the token is not (although token shouldn't be capitalized).

Improve
Event
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than it.

This name is taken:

Contest
Event
Gain a card of your choice from the Contest pile.
-
Setup: Make a Contestdeck out of 10 different unused Kingdom cards costing $5.

You left out the space between "Contest" and "deck" in the setup clause.

Isolation
Edict
When you gain a card, you may exile it and gain a Copper.

1. "Exile" should be capitalized.
2. More importantly, this can instantly empty the Copper pile and give a colossal amount of Coffers in combination with Guildhall. You should either say "when you gain a non-Copper card" or "when you gain a card other than with this."

Trade Agreement
Edict
When you shuffle your deck during the game, you may gain a Silver and shuffle it in.

I don't think "during the game" is necessary, unless that's there to specify that shuffling at game start doesn't count.

Monarchy
Edict
Once per turn, when you play an Action card, you may set it aside here to play it again. Trash it at the start of your cleanup phase.

This has tracking issues with Duration cards.

Spellcasters & Spells
When a card with the Spellcaster type is in the supply, 3 Spells are chosen at random and put next to the Supply. Spells are effects similar to Events, which never go into your deck, but which you can buy in your buy phase. Each player gets 5 Spell Tokens in their color. When you buy a Spell, you put one of your tokens on the Spell you bought. That Spell is now "prepared". The only way to actually perform what a Spell does is when a Spellcaster card tells you to „cast a Spell“. By casting a Spell, you do what it says, then remove your token from the Spell. Naturally, you can have up to five Spells prepared.

Can you have multiple of the same Spell prepared? I assume so since you have 5 Spell tokens but there are only 3 Spells.

Grimoire
Treasure – Spellcaster
+$1, +1 Buy; When you play this, you may cast a Spell. You may discard a card, for +$1.

Treasures no longer need "when you play this."

As with Plundering and Outskirts, no "from the Spoils pile" necessary.

This needs to reveal the discarded cards. See Shepherd.

"But never less than " isn't necessary, cards automatically can't have negative costs.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 19, 2022, 04:09:22 pm »
+1

I was afraid that I missed too many changes Donald made by now. For a lot of these cards, when I made them, stuff was different, for instance the fact cards couldn't cost less than 0$ still had to be specified, as had the pile non-Supply cards would come from.

To be entirely honest, I am not sure I care enough to give all of my cards the reprint treatment. Probably I shouldn't have bothered.

I'll still say something about the "update agnostic" points you made:

Border Guard:
If there is a Witch but no card that discards anything, Faithful Hound is strictly worse than Moat, so I don't think it means much if a card is strictly worse than another if its Reaction can't trigger. Also, the Reaction may be worse in games with several players, but in a 1v1 it's identical to Moat's. Apart from that, there's plenty of scenarios where non-Durations are better than Durations, so I'll leave it at that.

Sawmill:
I think I had such a wording, and I recall people complaining that it seemed as if you would gain multiple cards costing 1$ or 0$. But I suppose if Donald does it, so may I.

Emperor:
Yeah, this may be too strong. I considered pricing this at 8$, which would drive home the point that you strip yourself of buying a Province when getting it, while still shortening the game as if you did. Because that was the idea: You might have been able to get a Province, so if you get one of these, you not only skip that, you actually get to use the card less long. Anyhow, I have to playtest this more.

Thanks for alerting me of Tracker and Improve. It's a constant struggle... I think I lost about 10 card names over the years...

Also thank you for the notes on the Edicts, especially Isolation. I think it used to work on Curses only, so I forgot to restrict it when I made that change. The idea is of course to allow its use for Victory cards you buy.
Anyhow, the Edict idea doesn't feel as fresh now as it used to, which is kind of why I didn't make art for it again.

Regarding Spells, yes, preparing the same several times is possible.

Mistress:
Ah yeah, Dominion discards several cards so you only see the top one. I forgot that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for pointing out the "gain a card you bought" thing. I never knew. Seems like a change that will make quite a few interactions more clear.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 04:12:57 pm by Asper »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 19, 2022, 04:16:15 pm »
+1

Border Guard:
If there is a Witch but no card that discards anything, Faithful Hound is strictly worse than Moat, so I don't think it means much if a card is strictly worse than another if its Reaction can't trigger.

Difference is, Moat and Faithful Hound still have the same on-play effects. Border Patrol is to Dungeon as Moat with a +Buy would be to Wharf, and imo that comparison makes it clear that Border Patrol is too weak. Border Patrol's reaction is almost strictly worse than that of Moat, and it's on play effect is worse than Moat's as well. If Lab + discard two cards was the same strength or stronger than +2 Cards, Dungeon would be on a similar power level to Wharf.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 04:21:04 pm by Gubump »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: July 01, 2022, 03:18:40 am »
+1

I'm not sure why Ballroom would really need that change, but admittedly I have been out of the loop for a while. Ballroom doesn't emulate another card, it actually gains it and can only play it if that succeeds. I suppose one could rule out Command cards just to be sure, though: "Gain a non-Command Action from the Supply and play it."

I know it's been several months, but in case you hadn't figured it out, the Ballroom issue is a potential loop with Captain, cost reduction, and the -2 cost token. With the -2 cost token on Captain, and just a single cost-reducer, Captain costs and Ballroom costs . This allows Captain to play a Ballroom from the supply, which then gains and plays Captain, which plays a Ballroom from the supply, which gains and plays a Captain, which plays a Ballroom... up until the Captain pile empties.

As for giving Ballroom the Command type itself, that would prevent using Overlord with Ballroom to straight up gain s instead of just playing them (and Captain doing the same with some cost reduction)
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 20, 2022, 09:17:27 am »

Border Guard:
If there is a Witch but no card that discards anything, Faithful Hound is strictly worse than Moat, so I don't think it means much if a card is strictly worse than another if its Reaction can't trigger.

Difference is, Moat and Faithful Hound still have the same on-play effects.
You said Border Patrol is strictly worse than Dungeon without its Reaction.

There is two ways to understand this:

The literal interpretation where you just pretend that the Reaction wasn't on the card, as you are doing for Faithful Hound and Moat. That interpretation is talking about a hypothetical which isn't the case, as the card DOES have the Reaction. It's factually true, but inconsequential.

Or you talk about the Reaction not triggering, in which case my point still stands. Faithful Hound and Moat have different triggers, a game may feature only one, in which case one card is strictly better than the other, or feature both to varying degrees, where neither is strictly better, or may feature none, where they are identical. A game may not feature Boarder Patrol's trigger, making it strictly worse than Dungeon, or may feature it, making neither strictly better.

Is your point that if there can be games where Border Patrol is strictly worse than Dungeon, there should be games where they are strictly the same? Or that there must be games where Border Patrol is striclty better? Why?

I'm not even saying that Border Patrol couldn't use a buff, you may very well be right about that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:21:02 am by Asper »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.