Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323175 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #1175 on: September 15, 2018, 06:16:50 am »
+1

I don't think it would be too powerful as I elaborated. Wisp into Swamp is powerful then but how often do you activate it? Loading up on Swamps+Wisps doesn't seem so exciting without adding terminals which themselves reduce the possibility of Wisps activating. The comparism to Squire seems accurate. Current Swamp seems lackluster in comparism to Squire. Just my 2 cents as I don't know much about balancing those cards.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 15, 2018, 07:54:55 am »
+1

I don't think it would be too powerful as I elaborated. Wisp into Swamp is powerful then but how often do you activate it? Loading up on Swamps+Wisps doesn't seem so exciting without adding terminals which themselves reduce the possibility of Wisps activating.

Without terminals thrown in the mix the combo ain't a Bazaar but a Peddler. Still a good deal for $3.

Wisp decks via Druid are totally a thing so any card which directly gains Spirits should err on the weak side. You just need some cost reduction to make Swamp become Stonemason level crazy.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 16, 2018, 06:11:59 am »

I think the question right now isn't so much strength, it's making the card interesting. Even if the card was perfectly fine strength-wise, if you never ever used it to gain anything but Wisps with it, that stinks. I could just as well limit it to Wisps in that case, and that would be a bummer.

Umadin

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 24, 2018, 03:31:17 pm »
+1

Some of the images are broken for me 😕  like spell casters and the team cards... also  I notice you have made updated cards along the way - are you updating the original post with whatever you’re considering the best revision to the cards?

This may be the first fan made expansion I am excited to print!
I wish I could get a professional service to do them!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:37:44 pm by Umadin »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 25, 2018, 04:15:29 am »
+2

Some of the images are broken for me 😕  like spell casters and the team cards... also  I notice you have made updated cards along the way - are you updating the original post with whatever you’re considering the best revision to the cards?

This may be the first fan made expansion I am excited to print!
I wish I could get a professional service to do them!

Thank you for your kind words 🙂

My support for these cards has been on and off for the last two years or so, given my life shifting away from Dominion. However, I will fix up the OP today when I get home, so it will also include the most recent fixes and additions. I'll post about it when that's done. Hope this will improve things for you 🙂

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 25, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »
+2

Several fixes to the OP:

- Removed TTS Templates for now
- Added all the missing Spellcasters
- Added all the missing Team cards
- Added a missing Season card, Cottage
- Changed Simplicity to be an "Acting Troupe" variant
- Changed Bargain to use "Coffers"
- Added Swamp, Docks, Gallows, Waggon Village, Executioner
- Added a new card, Shrine

I hope this will help give some fun to somebody :)

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 26, 2018, 03:00:10 am »
+1

Shrine is sound but doesn't excite me. After the first shuffle it is "trash 2 cards, buy a $2 if there is a decent one". In the endgame you can discard green for Coins. The key problem IMO is that discarding for benefit and trashing are to some degree substitutes.

I like Cottage, it is a simple and good way to address the $4.5 problem of Fugitive.

I also like that Swamp gains Ghosts to hand now. Far better than the buff suggested by some folks that would havemainly made Wisps better.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 26, 2018, 05:02:56 am »
+1

Shrine is sound but doesn't excite me. After the first shuffle it is "trash 2 cards, buy a $2 if there is a decent one". In the endgame you can discard green for Coins. The key problem IMO is that discarding for benefit and trashing are to some degree substitutes.

And if there are no decent 2$s? Will you really spend several turns in a row doing nothing? What if you have this and a (terminal) Silver in hand? Are you really going to discard it, only to trash two cards and get to 2$ instead of getting to 5$ (perhaps getting to 5$ AND trashing one card)? Another example, how do you feel about Alt VP boards? Or draw-to-X engines?

Personally I believe the fact they are substitutes makes this card more interesting, not less.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:04:14 am by Asper »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 26, 2018, 05:43:36 am »
+1

And if there are no decent 2$s? Will you really spend several turns in a row doing nothing?
Trashing 2 cards is not doing nothing and early on trashing is most of the times better than spiking.

As I said, the card is objectivally a totally sound design and as you pointed out in some Kingdoms there are even some uses for it during the middlegame. Personally I don't like it though and I think that there is a good reason why no offical card discards for benefit and trashes at the same time.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 26, 2018, 05:44:31 am »

And if there are no decent 2$s? Will you really spend several turns in a row doing nothing?
Trashing 2 cards is not doing nothing and early on trashing is most of the times better than spiking.

As I said, the card is objectivally a totally sound design and as you pointed out in some Kingdoms there are even some uses for it during the middlegame. Personally I don't like it though and I think that there is a good reason why no offical card discards for benefit and trashes at the same time.

Fair enough 🙂

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: October 04, 2018, 02:07:16 pm »
+1

These are fantastic! I wouldn't be surprised if your spells and/or edicts helped inspire Projects. Also, where do you find all your card art?
And you should maybe rename Heir to Heiress if that's the image you're using.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 04, 2018, 02:13:12 pm »
+1

These are fantastic! I wouldn't be surprised if your spells and/or edicts helped inspire Projects.

I would, because Donald goes out of his way to avoid reading the fan cards forums; specifically to avoid the chance that his ideas might copy other people's.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 04, 2018, 02:40:10 pm »
+2

These are fantastic! I wouldn't be surprised if your spells and/or edicts helped inspire Projects.

I would, because Donald goes out of his way to avoid reading the fan cards forums; specifically to avoid the chance that his ideas might copy other people's.

Oh yeah... Anyway it's still cool how real mechanics are similar to these mechanics by Asper before the real ones were made.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 04, 2018, 03:05:18 pm »
+1

Oh yeah... Anyway it's still cool how real mechanics are similar to these mechanics by Asper before the real ones were made.

Well ACTUALLY, I came up with Edicts. Asper then made his own Edicts. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13605

And I can tell you that no, Donald X. did not use Edicts as an inspiration for Projects. However, once Projects became a thing, I did give him my Edict ideas in case he wanted to make Projects from them. Silos was one of those, in fact.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 04, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »

Sorry LastFootNote.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 04, 2018, 03:12:35 pm »
+1

Sorry LastFootNote.

Oh, no apology necessary. Asper did more with Edicts than I ever did, and they're really his baby now. I'm just being That Guy. So it is I who is sorry.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 04, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »
+1

Well ACTUALLY, I came up with Edicts. Asper then made his own Edicts. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13605

And I can tell you that no, Donald X. did not use Edicts as an inspiration for Projects. However, once Projects became a thing, I did give him my Edict ideas in case he wanted to make Projects from them. Silos was one of those, in fact.

Not going to pick a fight over this, but I proposed rule changes on standalone sideways cards a whole month before your Edicts thread, and even pointed out this fact in it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 04, 2018, 04:20:08 pm »

These are fantastic! I wouldn't be surprised if your spells and/or edicts helped inspire Projects. Also, where do you find all your card art?

Is Heiress really prominently used? I'm not against it. Also, most of the pictures are from deviantart. By searching for the artists credited on the cards you should find several that consistently do great stuff, like e.g. Rhys Griffiths.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 04, 2018, 04:22:17 pm »

Not going to pick a fight over this, but I proposed rule changes on standalone sideways cards a whole month before your Edicts thread, and even pointed out this fact in it.

Oho, sure enough. I guess I just came up with the name "Edicts".

I suppose it's moot anyway, since Donald X. came up with and rejected these sort of straight-up rules for Dominion years before either of us did. I think before Dominion was published, in fact.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 04, 2018, 04:24:20 pm »

I suppose it's moot anyway, since Donald X. came up with and rejected these sort of straight-up rules for Dominion years before either of us did. I think before Dominion was published, in fact.

As a matter of fact, this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 04, 2018, 07:51:40 pm »
+1

Oh, man, over this Edict thing I forgot to say, thank you for the kind words, Fly-Eagles-Fly  :)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 04, 2018, 11:19:13 pm »
+1

Is Heiress really prominently used? I'm not against it. Also, most of the pictures are from deviantart. By searching for the artists credited on the cards you should find several that consistently do great stuff, like e.g. Rhys Griffiths.
Thanks for the help.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 11, 2018, 05:21:06 pm »
+1

Umm.... Where are the spells?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 11, 2018, 05:29:34 pm »
+3

Never say never.

Guilds was going to be the final expansion, then Adventures came out.
Old sets were never going to be revised to replace bad cards with better ones, until that's exactly what happened.
Fan cards were never going to have an impact on the official game, then a card disappears from LastFootnote's fan set and ends up in Empires as Settlers.
A lot of fan card rules and taboos, based on the secret histories and patterns of existing cards, have later been broken by official cards.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 11, 2018, 08:41:26 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.