Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323238 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #1125 on: August 18, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »
+2

Here's some stuff.

Alternate version of Necromancer Werewolf, as the official Werewolf is now a chilled afro dude. I changed Zombie to match Warrior more closely, even though I hate Warrior more than any other card. What's wrong with me?
At the end of the day, there's no real point in bothering with this anyhow anymore.

Alternative version of Lair. With it not being a cantrip anymore, it should be worse with Will 'o Wisp. Only concern is it might also be to bad with the other two now. To boost Ghost, I now give the Spirit in hand.

Experimenting with cards that can be re-used. Speaking of which, I totes re-used my suggestion on Kudasai's Barbarian Village here.

If you find good pictures of a medieval circus or waggon village, I'll gladly replace the current one.

I tried myself at a Hex card for some reason, actually mostly because I felt an Executioner was overdue. It gains Silvers to limit how often it can be used. Sewers will seem familiar to some of you guys. It's just a scheme'd version of Convert.

Bonus morbidity! A... Baron... Death Cart thing of sorts?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:02:01 pm by Asper »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 18, 2018, 04:48:29 pm »
+1

Why is Gallow a Looter? It doesn't have anything to do with Ruins.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 18, 2018, 05:14:46 pm »
+1

It makes the card more powerful by putting the Ruins in the supply. buy them with the +Buy and then they're easy fodder.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 18, 2018, 07:24:03 pm »
+1

It makes the card more powerful by putting the Ruins in the supply. buy them with the +Buy and then they're easy fodder.

Although this works with the rules; it feels super awkward. I think it should mention ruins somewhere. You could just add “you may gain a ruins” to make it a little more powerful; or replace the +1 buy with that to make it a little weaker.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 18, 2018, 11:14:57 pm »

Yes, that was the intention. For a while it gave a Ruin to your hand if you couldn't trash a card (and also had +1 Action instead of +1 Buy).

It's pretty meh either way, buy I see why one wouldn't want it to have the type for no obvious reason. Maybe I should just remove it altogether to reduce the redundancy with Death Cart.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:16:25 pm by Asper »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 19, 2018, 08:07:52 am »
+1

Lair could maybe cost $1 now? I'm also not sure it needs to put Ghost in hand, Ghost is a really strong card!

Wagon Village is very similar to Campsite from Ice Age, debt seems like a good fit.

Sewers seems like an effect that would fit better on an Event, yeah like that Research Event! Having to add this do-nothing card to your deck and then also having to put money into it to make it do anything seems terribly weak right?

I don't mind Executioner but given that 5 of the Hexes don't stack I don't think doubling them up is a great choice? I think Explorer+Hex is probably strong enough on its own but I like the idea of an Explorer that can discard the Silver for a benefit. Maybe it should just give out another Hex?

The word is Gallows not Gallow, it's kind of like Coffers. Doesn't this seem pretty similar to Dismantle, but without as many tricks you can do? I don't really get the Death Cart/Baron comparison. The looter type is weird, I didn't even notice it was there because the card has no mention of Ruins, I just didn't look at the type line. Curse is always in the supply as $0 fodder for this anyway?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 19, 2018, 11:33:32 am »

Thanks for taking the time to write up something for each of the cards, Gazbag. I very much appreciate it.

Removing the "to hand" from Lair would simplify it quite a bit, so I have nothing against removing it. I kind of feel being able to buy Wisp for 2 might push it a bit too much, though?

Waggon Village I originally designed to gain Coppers to topdeck it, but (strength aside) that had issues with lose-track. Not a real reply, just some additional context.

I admit Sewers feels redundant with Research. Let's kill it.

For Executioner and Gallows (sorry about my low English skills popping up here and thanks for explaining it 🙂), those began with the names and the feeling such cards should be in Dominion.
Executioner's focus was actually the double-hexing when I designed it, and it gives out the Hex once first so you can make an informed decision specifically because some Hexes don't stack. Originally it was just a Hex, then a choose one between +2 coins and the doubling. I made it gain Silvers tolimit how annoying the card can be, considering what a terrible drag games with e.g. Werewolf can be, where those do nothing but multi-hex you and draw more Werewolves... Also Explorer stinks, so no regrets here.

I compared Gallows to Baron because for some time it gave the Gold in hand, and well, it doesn't anymore. I will just remove the Looter type, but even then it's only very mildly interesting.

Any thoughts on Docks? I kinda like it to be honest, but it might be a bit strong, maybe? Originally this was a Smithy for 5, but it seemed like it would make BM too dominant. This still can just gain a Silver each turn, but I hope that'll rarely be a good strategy. It's a fix to the Road problem that again is inspired by some other threads.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 19, 2018, 01:27:53 pm »
+1

Gallows is better than Dismantle in the opening. The Buy is also often useful. It is worse in two respects: cannot trash Coppers and cannot do Woodcutter tricks (trashing a Gold with Dismantle to gain a $5 and a Gold is like playing a Woodcutter and having to use it to buy a $5).
I ignore the "buy Ruins, Remodel them into Gold" option, that seems too slow to be worthwhile. Being able to transform junk like Curses and Ruins and thus indirectly defend against junkers on the other hand is a neat feature.

So the card is probably dissimilar enough from Dismantle to be worth a try and at the first glance it seems to be quite a bit better.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 19, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
+1

Gallows is better than Dismantle in the opening. The Buy is also often useful. It is worse in two respects: cannot trash Coppers and cannot do Woodcutter tricks (trashing a Gold with Dismantle to gain a $5 and a Gold is like playing a Woodcutter and having to use it to buy a $5).
I ignore the "buy Ruins, Remodel them into Gold" option, that seems too slow to be worthwhile. Being able to transform junk like Curses and Ruins and thus indirectly defend against junkers on the other hand is a neat feature.

So the card is probably dissimilar enough from Dismantle to be worth a try and at the first glance it seems to be quite a bit better.

Gallows - I was thinking the same thing. It's giving you a direct Estate to Gold pathway without any drawbacks. Kind of like getting a Transmute without having to deal with Potions.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the card, but think it's a bit too powerful for $4 Coin. I also agree that the Looter type isn't needed as Curses can work as $0 Coin fodder.

So maybe raise the price or tack on some kind of on-gain penalty? If I may suggest something I've been messing around with:

Could also be used with Ruins to fit your original Looter theme. Not sure how this works. Might even make the card stronger versus weaker. :|

Docks - I think Semi-Durations are great and it's nice to see your take on them. Docks does seems fine. Trading an Action each turn to essentially keep a stop card out of the shuffle. Of course on boards with no Villages, I'm not sure how competitive this will be for that valued Terminal Action space.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:35:46 pm by Kudasai »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:50 pm »
+1

Docks - I think Semi-Durations are great and it's nice to see your take on them. Docks does seems fine. Trading an Action each turn to essentially keep a stop card out of the shuffle. Of course on boards with no Villages, I'm not sure how competitive this will be for that valued Terminal Action space.
Workshop variants are usually significantly better if there is a splitter in the Kingdom. Of course there are exceptions like gaining some Silvers (and Merchants) or other cheap stuff in hybrid Kingdoms (meaning some good cheap non-terminals without real engine potential).
The consistency of Docks is nice but drawing a particular good card each turn is not that much better than the Action you get from Ironworks. So Docks is probably very good but not overpowered for $4.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 19, 2018, 05:08:24 pm »

Wow, I only now noticed that I had written "Werewolf" in the post above... Obviously Lich is a re-name for Necromancer, my OTHER card that became redundant due to Nocturne. My original Werewolf is still a card I like, but there it really hurts to change the name. I don't think I'll do it.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 19, 2018, 05:46:13 pm »
+2

Wow, I only now noticed that I had written "Werewolf" in the post above... Obviously Lich is a re-name for Necromancer, my OTHER card that became redundant due to Nocturne. My original Werewolf is still a card I like, but there it really hurts to change the name. I don't think I'll do it.

You could rename it "Teen Wolf". The cooler more in your face Werewolf.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 19, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
+1

Or lycanthrope.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 19, 2018, 07:17:07 pm »
+1

Or lycanthrope.

That's something I could do. Grumpily. I guess it just bothers me that the name was taken by a card that needs the name so much less than my card does  :'(

Anyhow, plural, non-Looter Gallows:

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 20, 2018, 01:56:05 am »
+1

Asper: I see Jeweler is in your Outtakes. Since it's so similar to my Ox card, I'd like to know what was wrong with it that you had to remove it to your outtakes? Was it just a weak card or was it unfun somehow?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: August 20, 2018, 02:36:07 am »

Asper: I see Jeweler is in your Outtakes. Since it's so similar to my Ox card, I'd like to know what was wrong with it that you had to remove it to your outtakes? Was it just a weak card or was it unfun somehow?

It just was a card that I designed to do a Treasure-Action card without having to actually combine the types. Back in the day, Treasure-Action just seemed like it would create too many rules issues, and this was intended to be a workaround not to encounter them. As Crown appeared, that intention became pointless, and I deemed the card too uninteresting to keep it.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 20, 2018, 04:25:12 pm »
+1

I like Teen Wolf because it's kind of like Young Witch but with a Silver Bane so it's younger than a Werewolf but older than a Young Wolf, you can't fault that logic.

Gallows just seems kind of uninteresting to me I guess, like I'm quite interested to try some games with Docks but not really this so much.

Wow no respect for Explorer. I think it's actually quite underrated these days, it does some fairly unique things.

Oh I forgot Docks. I like it, Workshop is a good fit for the returning to hand effect because it isn't something you want so many copies of very often, the Smithy version sounds crazy! That you can play it multiple times per shuffle when you aren't drawing deck is pretty huge, I worry a little that you can open this and then playing it every turn starting as early as turn 3.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 20, 2018, 05:16:56 pm »

Yes, I admit Gallows is pretty lame. Also, it doesn't even interact with Executioner. What's up with that? I made the card because I liked the name, and well, we know that's not the greatest idea. So I'll keep this in my drawer for the future. I'm happier with Executioner because it tries to tackle two things I hate about official Doom cards: Their randomness (you can keep the Silver instead of doubling) and how they endlessly attack (by gaining a stop card). There's probably room for improvement here to make it less obviously stronger than Explorer.

I'm glad you like Docks better. I tried to think of an effect that doesn't win you the game on its own, and well, certainly this is better than a Big Money game where you have 8 cards in hand each turn. Might still be a bit strong, but as long as the cards you want to gain with this are engine pieces, I feel it's fine. Anyhow, it has space enough for a little nerf if needed. For now I'd like to keep it as is just to see how crazy it can go.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:18:02 pm by Asper »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 20, 2018, 07:43:12 pm »
+1

Yes, I admit Gallows is pretty lame.
I don't think so. While it is similar to Dismantle it is unique enough to be worthwhile and probably one of the best one-card trashers against junkers.
The real problem is balance: it is probably too good relative to Dismantle but obviously too weak for $5.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 20, 2018, 07:57:36 pm »
+1

Personally, I would mildly nerf Docks. But you and I have different styles of cards.

I would make it so that you have to discard a card to put it into your hand so that you don't start every turn with 6 cards, but that's just me.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 20, 2018, 08:01:54 pm »

I don't think so. While it is similar to Dismantle it is unique enough to be worthwhile and probably one of the best one-card trashers against junkers.
The real problem is balance: it is probably too good relative to Dismantle but obviously too weak for $5.

I could always remove the +Buy.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 21, 2018, 12:33:04 pm »
+1

I could always remove the +Buy.

I don't think this is necessary, it would just make the card more boring. I think Spice Merchant vs Moneylender is a pretty good example of something like this. Spice Merchant is of course much stronger than Moneylender and still would be if you removed the +$2 and buy option, but all that would really achieve is making Spice Merchant a less interesting card because that extra option can add some interesting decisions to games with Spicy. 

I also don't think Gallows is really any better than Dismantle anyway, like on boards with both I don't think you're close to picking one over the other a majority of the time.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 21, 2018, 05:18:12 pm »
+1

I totally disagree. The only advantage of Dismantle is that you can trash Coppers with it (incidentally Dismantle is the worst single-card trasher for Coppers, Trade Route does at least provide an extra Buy). As I already pointed out, its Develop tricks are not that brilliant (Dismantling a Gold into a Gold and a $5 is weaker than playing Woodcutter).
The advantage of Gallows is (a) the extra Buy, (b) that trashing Estates comes without the Copper and (c) that trashing Curses and Ruins yields Gold.

When there are no other trashers Dismantle is arguably superior to the the Copper trashing.
When there are no other trashers and junkers Gallows is likely to be better as Remodeling junk into Gold is a sweet thing in a slog.
When there are better trashers the only argument for Dismantle is Gold. So when better trashers, Dismantle and Gallows are in the Kingdom you will always choose Gallows.
When there are better trashers and junkers the case is even more cleear cut, again Dismantle/Gallows only if you want the Gold and here Gallows has far more "fodder".

So on average Gallows seems to be clearly better.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 21, 2018, 05:45:00 pm »

I totally disagree. The only advantage of Dismantle is that you can trash Coppers with it (incidentally Dismantle is the worst single-card trasher for Coppers, Trade Route does at least provide an extra Buy). As I already pointed out, its Develop tricks are not that brilliant (Dismantling a Gold into a Gold and a $5 is weaker than playing Woodcutter).
The advantage of Gallows is (a) the extra Buy, (b) that trashing Estates comes without the Copper and (c) that trashing Curses and Ruins yields Gold.

When there are no other trashers Dismantle is arguably superior to the the Copper trashing.
When there are no other trashers and junkers Gallows is likely to be better as Remodeling junk into Gold is a sweet thing in a slog.
When there are better trashers the only argument for Dismantle is Gold. So when better trashers, Dismantle and Gallows are in the Kingdom you will always choose Gallows.
When there are better trashers and junkers the case is even more cleear cut, again Dismantle/Gallows only if you want the Gold and here Gallows has far more "fodder".

So on average Gallows seems to be clearly better.

You say that Gallows is better than Dismantle if there is another trasher. I'm not sure it is. Assuming a strong trasher like Chapel, one of Gallows' advantages over Dismantle, not having to gain junk, becomes less important, whereas Dismantle's Woodcutter option persists.

Edit: Good point on interestingness, Gazbag.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:55:36 pm by Asper »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 21, 2018, 07:35:45 pm »
+1

Most likely neither card is a good option with Chapel around. Chances of terminal collision after the first shuffle are between 0.3-0.4 (I don't remember the precise number) and all this just for some Gold.
But if you were forced to go for one I doubt that Dismantle as pseudo-Woodcutter is good. It cannot be good if there is another source of Buys or another gainer and an engine that can only gain 1 Province per turn (plus a Duchy if you use Dismantle) seems unlikely to compete with money in a Chapel Kingdom.
And Gallows is just the better money enabler. Even with good trashing tempo matters and those extra Coppers hurt you to some degree.

So I still think that Gallows is most of the time better than Dismantle but not a $5 and as Dismantle is hardly the best $4 Gallows should be fine.

As Develop is a card I am not very good with I could also seriously underestimate the funky Develop tricks of Dismantle, like e.g. Dismantling a Province into a 6VP Fairgrounds and a Gold. OK, on second thought that's not so brilliant, just an extra Gold. So perhaps something like Dismantling Apothecaries into Vineyards.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.