Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323110 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #875 on: April 03, 2017, 05:05:19 pm »
+2

While we're on spelling corrections, 'Sommer' on Student.

And a little question...

What were your thoughts on this adding 3 Provinces specifically? In 2-4 player games the Provinces can all be split evenly, but here in 2 and 4 player they can't be. Certainly the first player to get 6 in 2 players seems at a huge advantage if there's no alt VP.
Just that this could read 'add an extra Province to the Supply per player' if you were only aiming to make more time for things like Duke.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 03, 2017, 05:42:27 pm »

While we're on spelling corrections, 'Sommer' on Student.

And a little question...

What were your thoughts on this adding 3 Provinces specifically? In 2-4 player games the Provinces can all be split evenly, but here in 2 and 4 player they can't be. Certainly the first player to get 6 in 2 players seems at a huge advantage if there's no alt VP.
Just that this could read 'add an extra Province to the Supply per player' if you were only aiming to make more time for things like Duke.

I guess one extra Province per player solves the problem of splits. In fact, I seem to recall somebody already mentioned the split problem, but this solution seems nice and easy. I changed it. Dito for Student.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 04, 2017, 01:03:51 am »
+2

ThetaSigma, one question: You do mean the original Season template when saying "the other", right?
Is there something specific you prefer about it? My point is that the comperative degree of colorization between banner and text area seems inverse to normal Dominion, making it look alien. But perhaps there's something good about the old scheme you see that I forgot or am missing? I just wouldn't want to keep it only for nostalgia, either. And I mean probably it's not that great for you to have to create a new template if you wanna stay up to date, but I think it's clear I'll gladly share mine if you like. Maybe it won't live up to your standards, though.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 04, 2017, 06:51:47 am »
+1

The original template (Pink, the one Co0kiel0rd uses) is the one I like better than the one you are currently using (Magenta).

Mainly I really don't like the text box, it does not mesh with the border and is too light. I also prefer the pinkish color, Magenta seems to gaudy and dark.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 04, 2017, 08:29:04 am »

The original template (Pink, the one Co0kiel0rd uses) is the one I like better than the one you are currently using (Magenta).

Mainly I really don't like the text box, it does not mesh with the border and is too light. I also prefer the pinkish color, Magenta seems to gaudy and dark.

Okay, thanks for answering. The text box is in fact a bit darker than the standard one, I think(?). So, if you mean "light" in that sense, then yes, it's lighter than the one before, but I feel it's quite dark already. Going further I fear the texts to become less readable. It's less strongly tinted than the old one, too, but I prefer that, as it seems more in line with the official cards (not like Gardens' middle was pure green either). Maybe I could ramp up the tint a tad, though, so there's more contrast against the text? Lastly, I guess you can prefer pink over magenta, but that's not really objective, and personally I find magenta more pleasing to the eye.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 04, 2017, 08:35:49 am »
+1

Well, instead of ramping up the text box you could decrease the border color. That would work too. Right now the 2 are just too far apart.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 04, 2017, 09:48:52 am »

Well, instead of ramping up the text box you could decrease the border color. That would work too. Right now the 2 are just too far apart.

I guess I could. To some degree I think it's an optical illusion, though. I didn't have the text box color transition into the normal tone as you usually should for a card, so I think the tint might seem weaker than it is. I sincerely think the colors work together very well, though.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »

I don't know whether Spellcasters are something people even care about, but I decided to get Glory back to 9$ and cut Mage as well as Shaman. Sorceress is now Wizard (I had cut Wizard before but just liked the name so much) while Conjurer is Sorcerer now. Wizard also lost the buy and costs 5$ again. What can I say, it's tricky stuff.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 06, 2017, 09:55:20 pm »
+1

I don't know whether Spellcasters are something people even care about, but I decided to get Glory back to 9$ and cut Mage as well as Shaman. Sorceress is now Wizard (I had cut Wizard before but just liked the name so much) while Conjurer is Sorcerer now. Wizard also lost the buy and costs 5$ again. What can I say, it's tricky stuff.

I like the idea of the spells and keep intending to try them out, but the game is already complicated enough for the people I play with IRL, so I've been hesitating to introduce the mechanic to them, and I have no one else to try out the spellcaster cards with. Maybe sometime I'll try them out on TTS with someone here. Then again, trying to play on TTS at all is complicated in itself.

I'll probably introduce Seasons to my IRL group first. I still haven't done that yet.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 19, 2017, 02:53:31 pm »

Added team cards from that other thread. Also, I moved Meadow to outtakes. Cheers, guys.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 03, 2017, 12:33:11 pm »
+2

Played a real-life game with Decree, Outlook, Stone Circle, Smithy, Remodel, Town, Sorcerer, Soothsayer, Maze and Market today. The Spells were Purity and Dexterity.

I got crushed trying to use Mazes without enough Actions, and even the Decrees didn't help. He never played with Spells before, but used them efficiently to trash down and get a Sorcerer early (he bought a Stone Circle and got the Sorcerer through the Dexterity spell, later trashed the Stone Circle through Purity). That trashed-down deck bought Towns and Roads, which often drew that deck in return. In the end he Remodeled Soothsayer Golds into Provinces.

Stone Circle may be my favorite Spellcaster for now. The other cards all seemed fun and well-balanced, too. I guess skipping Town as the only Village on a Smithy/Road/Sorcerer board was just dumb. The fact he got the hang of Spells as quickly makes me hope it's not as overly complex a concept, after all. Yaaay!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 24, 2017, 07:43:30 pm »
+1

I decided that Nightwatch is too expensive. It's technically strictly better than Oasis now when looking at the card alone, but as it lies underneath 5 Carriers, it has a slightly worse timing.

Also perhaps Sheriff is too good with straight +2$. Not sure I should throw in a buy when I reduce that to +1$, though. Any opinions here?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 25, 2017, 10:41:56 am »
+1

I think it's interesting to have Nightwatch strictly better, though I agree that it seemed a tad top expensive at .

Sherrif has never seemed that good when I've used it. This could just be due to a lack of skill or overbuying them, but I'm not happy to buy a Ruined Mine just to hand out a couple curses.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 25, 2017, 05:28:43 pm »

Sherrif has never seemed that good when I've used it. This could just be due to a lack of skill or overbuying them, but I'm not happy to buy a Ruined Mine just to hand out a couple curses.

So you feel you bought too many of them? I see.

...Man, I need people to play Dominion with again :(

The73rdvirgin

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 25, 2017, 05:53:34 pm »
+1

You could change the wording of night watch to "you may discard a victory card for + $1. Then it is not strictly better than Oasis.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 25, 2017, 06:53:40 pm »

You could change the wording of night watch to "you may discard a victory card for + $1. Then it is not strictly better than Oasis.

Yes, I could, but that seems even worse than this card simply costing 4$. I mean, as it is it's already not strictly better than Oasis, as you can't access it as early.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 06, 2017, 07:32:34 am »
+2

I updated the art on Sanctuary

and dropped the second part of Tribunal

for now.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 09, 2017, 10:55:51 am »

I removed Mistress. It just doesn't do anything special enough that deserves the Seasons type.

Uldiniad

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:26 pm »
+2

I have checked a few cards. All I gotta say is impressive work. Hard to imagine how much time you've spent on this, but congratulations on all the effort and hard work. I might try some if my friends are interested

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 15, 2017, 08:01:38 am »

I have checked a few cards. All I gotta say is impressive work. Hard to imagine how much time you've spent on this, but congratulations on all the effort and hard work. I might try some if my friends are interested

Thank you  :)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 18, 2017, 05:01:52 pm »
+1

I updated the TTS templates in the opening post.

Furthermore, check out the cute new expansion symbol for the Spellcasters. I also buffed the "Harm" spell - or as certain members would say, it now attacks you, too.

Also, yes, I'm still not sure on the price for "Glory"...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:24:16 am by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 19, 2017, 12:08:44 pm »
+2

So, there are a few things that get suggested a lot. Cards that reward you for having Curses, cards that are worth negative VP or give Curses on play, Reactions that deflect the attack, "Veto"-Reactions that keep you from getting the effect of a card you played... Most of these are ideas that don't work well in their basic form, but in some way or another they have nonetheless made their way into Dominion. Quest and a few Events and Landmarks from Empires reward you for having or even buying Curses, and Enchantress is as close to a "Veto" card as it'll get, I think. I did Minister to emulate "negative VP" cards, too.

So what about deflecting attacks? I never tried myself at making this concept non-horrible, so I felt, I got to write my master thesis, and fast. Why not give this a go instead? So, here goes a first concept for a Reaction that deflects attacks. Well, in fact it doesn't do that, but it attacks back harder when attacked.

My original plan was to have it play itself again, but that meant doubling the coin value. Halving the coin value per default seemed too bad to bother with. As is, the second sentence is a bit clunky, but "to make them do it again" could be understood to include players with only 3 cards left. I also tried "Lose your Revenge token to do this twice, otherwise do it once:" at the start instead, but that seemed weird because you don't "do" anything.

Please not that you can reveal an Assassin and put it on your deck after that. Revenge is a dish best served cold, they say.

Edit: I forgot, I also considered calling it "Retaliation Token" instead. What's better?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:11:12 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 19, 2017, 01:36:33 pm »

It occured to me that probably you could break it down to this:

If that doesn't work (for tracking purposes, I guess?), you could make it a "if the player to your right played an attack card last turn":

I kinda prefer the first because it doesn't care about seating order, but maybe that's a feature, not a bug? Either variant loses the ability to keep around the token for later, but I think it's just so much easier that I'd be willing to sacrifice that. What do you guys think?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 19, 2017, 01:52:21 pm »
+1

I think the last one works ok, though I am not sure the concept really works?

I like the "play this again" wording, you could change the +2$ to (for example) "draw up to six cards in hand", and then it doesn't matter you are doing the bonus twice. Although then assassin soft-counters itself.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 19, 2017, 02:16:12 pm »
+2

I think the last one works ok, though I am not sure the concept really works?

I like the "play this again" wording, you could change the +2$ to (for example) "draw up to six cards in hand", and then it doesn't matter you are doing the bonus twice. Although then assassin soft-counters itself.

Yes, that's still kind of the question. I felt that discard attacks wouldn't be as bad, as these are limited in how harsh they can get at worst. For the last version, if Assassin is the only attack card in the kingdom, the only player to really get hit by the additional topdecking is the player to your right, because the others are down to 4 already. For the version that checks all players, I think it still sort of hits the attacking players most. However, as soon as that other attack card is not a discard attack, I think this difference disappears. When you play attack cards on an Assassin board, you make life harder for everyone but the Assassin player, while for normal reactions, you make life easier for the reaction player instead. It's really not that much of a difference if you look at it like that, I think. The most important aspect I think is that your own attacks still hit. But yes, it certainly needs testing and analysis.

By the way, originally there were supposed to be more tokens and you would have to set aside the card similar to Horse Trader, but I decided against that for the very reason of it being a soft counter.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.