Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323113 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #850 on: March 16, 2017, 02:02:18 pm »

Actually, now that I read Theta's reasoning, I admit it makes sense. obviously I don't want that. One solution would be to simply shuffle the Silver in.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 16, 2017, 03:25:09 pm »
+2

You could also limit it to once per turn.

EDIT: or you could set aside the "gained" silver, and only gain it at the end of your turn.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:38:44 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 16, 2017, 06:54:27 pm »
+1

I like the "Once per turn:" option, otherwise it seems like it could go nuts to easy. Draw your deck with Scrying Pool, then constantly shuffle your deck somehow. Buy conquest, profit.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 16, 2017, 09:36:09 pm »
+1

I like the "Once per turn:" option, otherwise it seems like it could go nuts to easy. Draw your deck with Scrying Pool, then constantly shuffle your deck somehow. Buy conquest, profit.

Hum... I'll think about this. I mean, your Scrying Pool example sounds nice, but not actually broken to me (neither with Conquest nor with Triumph). You're destroying that Scrying Pool engine, and, more importantly, you're leaving out how you actually manage to shuffle your deck repeatedly in a single turn. I could think of alternating between discarding a card with eg Oasis and shuffling once or twice for Scrying Pool (you first shuffle to get a deck, then - if lucky - can discard the Silver to shuffle again). Which gets you at 1.5 Silvers max per Action played. That's, uh, slightly better than Workshop?

Obviously I don't want the Edict to be abuseable, but the case you lined out doesn't really seem like a "thing" to me - at least not compared to Trader/Feodum/Conquest...

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:36 pm »
+2

So, I thought a bit more about Message in a Bottle, and weirdly enough, the more I thought about it, the more similar it became to LastFootnote's Wanderer. I won't deny that LF had a huge influence on me in these forums - my template is originally his, and even though I'm sure that the idea of "something Event-ish" that just creates general rules changes was in a few people's heads for a while, it was him who first opened a thread about them, made concrete suggestions and gave them a name: Edicts. Actually, now that I dug this thread out, it feels that Prudence is definitely worth mocking up. (Edit: Although it might work as an Event)

Either way, the main reason why I mention all of this is that, while MiaB became more and more similar to Wanderer, I was actually pretty critical of the idea when LF proposed it. Even worse, when I considered having the card being passed around, I also decided to have it go right, first. Well, at least I understand why LF made that decision originally. So, in case you read this, LF, I'm sorry for all of that. It's a pretty tricky concept if you're on the oter side and are the one who tries to make it work :P  You also picked the perfect name for a card like this. Message in a Bottle is nice, but I feel the card needs to give a bonus when you gain it (to be worth it for the player who makes it come into play). I went with giving a token, and as VP seemed boring, a Coin Token seemed the best bet to me. Now, how do you name things that give Coin Tokens? Yes, after people, ideally jobs. Jobs or people that travel, obviously. Just, Minstrel is taken, Gleemen have only horrible pictures online, Traveller is a type already, and so on... So, Wanderer. Ah well...

With this introduction, I'd like to present what I ended up with. The similarities to LF's original are pretty strong:

<=LF's version on the right

Main difference is that my version gives a Coin Token and happens on gain, so the benefit for the player gaining it should be bigger. E.g. it allows changing the opening or using them for some late economy boost. Also, this one's nonterminal, which I think might mean it isn't a dead card and gets stuck or harms certain opponents. It's not as cheap as LF's version, although I'm not really sure how much a card that roughly translates to "Take a Coin token and be the first to get a great bonus" should cost. Well, at least it avoids buffing your 5/2 opening... I won't put this in the OP, because it's basically "my version" of the original card, but yeah, maybe someone likes the take nonetheless. Cheers :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:18:12 am by Asper »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 20, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »

I fell like there should be some better name. You could go with "Sojourner" which means someone who temporarily resides somewhere, thematic because they're only in your deck for a bit. You could go with "Immigrant" or "Migrant" if that doesn't overlap with Migration too much. Or if sounding like Events isn't a problem, you could go with "Pilgrim". More thematic IMO Becuase they have a set destination (the other player's deck) not just aimless wandering. You said it needed to be a job, so you could go "Gypsy". "Itinerant", "Roamer", "Nomad", and "Drifter" all work somewhat too.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:37 pm »
+2

...I don't think "gypsy" is a job!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 20, 2017, 06:44:49 pm »
+3

From Google:
A member of a traveling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling.

I think that's a job enough. I guess it's a stretch but Wanderer isn't really a job either.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 20, 2017, 06:49:32 pm »
+2

From Google:
A member of a traveling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling.

I think that's a job enough. I guess it's a stretch but Wanderer isn't really a job either.

Good Twitter tag: Professional Wanderer/Gypsy
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 20, 2017, 07:03:05 pm »
+1

From Google:

I think you are misunderstanding that definition (doesn't help that you are cutting out the second sentence, and other sources make it clearer). It's (arguably?) an ethnicity, not a job nor an occupation. See, Roma people.

That was very off-topic, so I will stop this here.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 21, 2017, 08:00:47 am »
+3

Donald once mentioned that he would never make a card called "gipsy", as that word can be considered an insult. I thought about using a "gipsy" image and naming it differently, though. Let's say I didn't find any image I liked. Sojourner is the name of the Season one-shot, so that's taken. Drifter, Roamer and Itenerant don't really seem better than Wanderer, imo. I mean, they are different from LF's card name, but that's all.

I do like Pilgrim and Nomad. Pilgrim is probably my favourite. I actually like the religious touch here. A travelling monk, itenerant preacher etc would also fit, but Pilgrim is shorter.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:21 am »
+4

Also, I'm going with pacovf here. The word mostly describes an ethnicity, although that group is - like most groups - associated with a certain culture. Also, I heard it was used as a slur. I'd rather err on the side of caution with words like that.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 24, 2017, 09:36:57 am »
+1

News:

I might drop Progress (game ends after last player's turn), Conservation (3-pile becomes 4-pile) and Tyranny (-1$ token when using non-Copper treasures). Let's say I printed out cards for the first time after years, and didn't desire to print them, even though they are single cards. Tyranny seems like you could still use the idea to give a penalty on something, but probably the original attack concept was better. Conservation might work with slight changes, but in general Reformation does a nicer job at altering how the game ends imo. Progress just seems... I don't know. Maybe I'm chicken, but it doesn't feel needed to me right now.

Here's one of the original Edicts in LF's thread implemented as an Event:

It might slow down the game too much, but on the other hand putting the cards on top of your deck means you can't play them this turn. Still, it does cause extra AP, and might work better as an Edict with a medium-rare trigger, or an Event that does something else besides that main effect for some money. Originally I wanted it to topdeck any number of cards, but I felt 5 was already plenty and might be slightly faster.

Also, Wanderer is Pilgrim now:

Still not different enough for the OP, I guess.

Last but not least, I dropped Warlock and Wizard for now, and the Spells finally tell you their type.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:50 am »
+2

Harm should have a period at the end I think.

I never really liked warlock and Progress.

I'm glad you went with pilgrim, I think it's more thematic than Wanderer.

The limit of 5 on secret (interesting name?) seems like in most games it would never matter, and when it would it's not terribroken.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 24, 2017, 12:09:26 pm »
+1

Harm should have a period at the end I think.

I never really liked warlock and Progress.

I'm glad you went with pilgrim, I think it's more thematic than Wanderer.

The limit of 5 on secret (interesting name?) seems like in most games it would never matter, and when it would it's not terribroken.

Dangit, that ; is a leftover from a very old version. Thanks for pointing it out.

Can't really defend Warlock nor Progress. I thought they were worth a try, but part of that was because I wanted them to be worth it. Now that I had to consider printing, I'm also thinking that your point on Shaman is valid. I'll think about how to make it a tad more interesting. Maybe I'll just drop it completely and put that extra bit on Mage, instead.

I think it would matter whenever you can overdraw your deck. Also, I can't explain the name. It just came up.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:11:36 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 25, 2017, 07:12:12 am »
+2

I'll decrease the cost of Stone Circle to 3$, to buff its interaction with the Spell "Wealth".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 25, 2017, 02:37:05 pm »
+1

I thought you said that testing showed Glory was very strong at $9? Now it's $8?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 25, 2017, 03:08:23 pm »
+1

I thought you said that testing showed Glory was very strong at $9? Now it's $8?

I did.

Part of the problem is that it was the strongest with an old form of Sorceress, which was a Peddler for 5$. I have come to the conclusion this older variant of Sorceress was partly responsible, and with two dimensions to check (Spellcasters and Spells) iit's rather hard to find the culprit. I'm going to test Glory at 8$ for now, but I can't guarantee it'll stay that way.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 27, 2017, 08:30:08 am »
+2

Tyranny is back to make BM players miserable. Just not as much. And in a much simpler way.

I removed Progress and Conservation, though.

Olympic Village is now Sanctuary.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 02, 2017, 09:55:59 am »
+1

Just noticed that Timberland is on buy. There's no reason for that. I'll change it to gain.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 02, 2017, 03:41:19 pm »

Fixed Timberland. Also, I think this is the color scheme I'll go with from now on for Seasons. It has a distinctive tint, but is easier to read than the last one I made, while avoiding that "2-coloredness" of the original color scheme.

In further news, I guess 9$ is the best cost for Glory, after all. Besides the point, I'm gonna watch Rick & morty now. Hooray!

Edit: Fixed the misspelling on Peltmonger.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:19:39 pm by Asper »

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 02, 2017, 08:08:00 pm »
+2

Thanks for the updated Season cards.

I think Peltmonger's type "Akction" should be "Action".

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 03, 2017, 01:25:02 pm »

Thanks for the updated Season cards.

I think Peltmonger's type "Akction" should be "Action".

Changed. Thanks for the heads-up :)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 03, 2017, 01:45:30 pm »
+1

Just chiming in that I really liked the other Seasons template a lot more! No need to change anything though since I'll just make my own versions.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 03, 2017, 02:24:50 pm »
+2

Just chiming in that I really liked the other Seasons template a lot more! No need to change anything though since I'll just make my own versions.

Yeah, you already said that about an earlier version. I really don't like it, though. The fact that the text box has a far stronger color tint than the banners and that the banners are barely changed in color at all makes the old scheme look rather un-dominiony imo. So, I wasn't going to change it either way. As always, do whatever you please. This is the version 100% of the original Season creators who are currently active on fds support. If Co0kieL0rd returns, I'll gladly share the spot with him, and be curious to what he has to say about the color scheme. Until then, this is pretty much the most official Seasons version you'll get.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.