Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 325059 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #825 on: March 12, 2017, 05:02:38 pm »
+2

Cliffside's optional trashing almost makes me want it to cost $6. Have you considered that?
No, I didn't. I first wanted to make it mandatory, instead. I discarded that idea, because it meant the card would be dead later, when you actually need a Village. Now it's weaker than Junk Dealer early and better late. If it turns out to be too strong, here's what I'd do to fix it:

Cliffside Village, 5$, Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one:
+1 Action;
Trash a card from your hand

Oh, I love this idea, actually.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 13, 2017, 12:09:17 pm »
+1

I decided to re-do the Season cards with bold Seasons. Also, Peltmonger now does the Woodcutter thing entirely on call, while Sojourner became a lot more similar to the original thread's version. Yeah, just let me know what you think of this. Also, Snow Witch now uses "onto", Mistress has better line breaks, etc.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 13, 2017, 12:17:15 pm »
+1

Do you have a season mat?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 13, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »

Do you have a season mat?

It's in the OP, together with the Season cards (at the lower part of the post, in the individual cards section).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 14, 2017, 08:20:33 pm »

Little fix on Exile: It now doesn't use the Island Mat anymore. Yeah I know, I could've done that from the start.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 14, 2017, 09:33:50 pm »
+2

Little fix on Exile: It now doesn't use the Island Mat anymore. Yeah I know, I could've done that from the start.

I always found it interesting that there's no actual "Island mat" according to the game; Island just tells you to set the cards aside.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 15, 2017, 01:41:29 am »
+2

Thanks for updating all your cards. It is great to have the whole set in one place with all the corrections. The cards look great.

I did some searching and found the photographer & photo for the image used on the Plantation card (the only one still unattributed):

“Tuscan Morning, Val d'Orcia, Italy” Photograph by Francesco Riccardo Iacomino
Go to http://francescoriccardoiacomino.com/tuscany
You will see a grid of images, look at the one three down, five to the right (at least with a "normal sized" browser window). The text “Open Space” will show up when you hover over the image.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 15, 2017, 02:48:22 am »
+1

Thanks for updating all your cards. It is great to have the whole set in one place with all the corrections. The cards look great.

I did some searching and found the photographer & photo for the image used on the Plantation card (the only one still unattributed):

You will see a grid of images, look at the one three down, five to the right (at least with a "normal sized" browser window). The text “Open Space” will show up when you hover over the image.
It is very simple to find an illustration without name:
copy the illustration from card and store it. Then you can upload it to google picture search. You will get the original very quickly.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:51:20 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 15, 2017, 05:25:38 am »

Thanks for the source, Thanar :)

It is very simple to find an illustration without name:
copy the illustration from card and store it. Then you can upload it to google picture search. You will get the original very quickly.

That's what I usually try, but sometimes you'll be stuck with stock photo or wallpaper sites, or pinterest without a link to the original.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 15, 2017, 05:27:49 am »

I always found it interesting that there's no actual "Island mat" according to the game; Island just tells you to set the cards aside.

Interesting. The same applies to Pirate Ship, right? So this makes the change even more necessary.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 15, 2017, 07:22:58 am »
+2

Mistress says Fall, while all other season cards say Autumn.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 15, 2017, 09:01:39 am »
+1

Interesting. The same applies to Pirate Ship, right? So this makes the change even more necessary.
Further research shows that the ShuffleIT card does say Island mat, but the physical card doesn't.

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 15, 2017, 09:38:59 am »
+2

It is very simple to find an illustration without name: copy the illustration from card and store it. Then you can upload it to google picture search. You will get the original very quickly.

Yes, that often works quickly. A more thorough search can be done with www.tineye.com (which I used in this case).

But for this image it took some extra work, since almost all the search results were for Wallpaper sites or other unattributed images (as Asper mentioned above). Eventually I found one that referenced a stock photography site (Thinkstock), and then moved my search there. But that site didn't support uploading an image to search their stock, which led to phase two, searching based on descriptions of the scene (Tuscany, landscape, etc.).

This particular location, a stunningly beautiful olive farm in Tuscany, Italy, has been photographed by many professional photographers. So I had to weed out images by other photographers who used slightly different perspectives and times of day. I finally found several images from the exact angle, with the little bales of hay to the left of the house in the precise configuration. And then found the one he took that has the light on in the house, and the right sunlight! From the very brief attribution info on the stock photo site, I was able to find the photographer's own website, his full name, etc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:45:44 am by Thanar »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:54 am »
+1

It is very simple to find an illustration without name: copy the illustration from card and store it. Then you can upload it to google picture search. You will get the original very quickly.

Yes, that usually works quickly. A more thorough search can be done with www.tineye.com (which I used in this case).
Really? It usually seems for me that TinEye is less efficient than google. Too many broken links and often it can't even find the image.

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 15, 2017, 09:49:07 am »
+2

Yes, that usually works quickly. A more thorough search can be done with www.tineye.com (which I used in this case).
Really? It usually seems for me that TinEye is less efficient than google. Too many broken links and often it can't even find the image.
"Your mileage may vary." I usually try Google first, then TinEye, if Google isn't giving me the results I want. They arrange the results differently which can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09:35 am »
+2

I'll be damned, every second Event I do makes you gain 5$ cards... Ah well. This still isn't so bad, is it?

Edit: It can't gain Duchies anymore.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:02:50 pm by Asper »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 15, 2017, 10:41:47 am »
+3

This is neat. It is thematic, not swingy yet useful. Combos with City!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 15, 2017, 03:33:05 pm »
+3

I came to the conclusion that, as I'm always complaining when things are done with new mechanics without a need, and as re-using existing mechanics is kind of my "thing" here, I'll go back to Blessing as an Event. Hooray Event-Blessing!

Also, ThetaSigma and I had a conversation about an Event that gave people a buy if they needed one, and my approach was to give opponents an advantage instead of limiting the number of times you could do it. So here:

(It's once per turn to avoid people just emptying the supply with cost reducers, where obviously the sifting doesn't matter anymore)

And yes, I know, I'm not really posting that great stuff right now... It's more on a "Yeah, I guess you can do that" level atm... Either way, have another Edict:

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 16, 2017, 07:53:00 am »
+2

Ok, 0 cards in discard & draw. (I only have 5 cards and they are all in my hand.)

(Royal blacksmith has + 1 card token.)

I play a king's court-king's court-royal blacksmith-royal blacksmith-royal blacksmith

How many silvers can I gain?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 16, 2017, 09:53:33 am »
+1

Ok, 0 cards in discard & draw. (I only have 5 cards and they are all in my hand.)

(Royal blacksmith has + 1 card token.)

I play a king's court-king's court-royal blacksmith-royal blacksmith-royal blacksmith

How many silvers can I gain?

So, is your question about whether an empty deck counts as being shuffled? I rule no. But perhaps what you're saying is that this should be expressed on the card? I thought it was obvious that if there are no cards to shuffle you didn't shuffle (edit: Following Dominion's usual rules, you can try if you like, but you still won't). So the answer here is 0.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:54:47 am by Asper »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 16, 2017, 11:29:39 am »
+1

Yes, but what if you have only 1 card in there? Then you play RB, shuffle your discard pile, gain a silver to your discard pile, draw the card from your deck, shuffle the silver you just gained into your deck, etc. You'll end up drawing the whole silver pile, assuming you can Shuffle one card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 16, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »
+2

Yes, but what if you have only 1 card in there? Then you play RB, shuffle your discard pile, gain a silver to your discard pile, draw the card from your deck, shuffle the silver you just gained into your deck, etc. You'll end up drawing the whole silver pile, assuming you can Shuffle one card.

As I recall, there was a long discussion in the rules forum about whether or not you could shuffle 1 card. I can't remember if there was a real-card application of the question. Donald has not given an official ruling, but he was torn between both options.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2017, 12:52:06 pm »
+1

I actually thought the ruling was that you can actually shuffle zero cards. But even if you can't, well, you can shuffle 1 card, so the same question in my hypotethical would be: what if you had one card in discard, how many silvers could you gain in such a situation.

(It was really a question, not a criticism, to be clear.)

Kingreaper

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
    • Artemis Games
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2017, 01:45:48 pm »
+1

14. Moving cards from your deck

When you draw cards from your deck, each card is added to your hand as you draw it, and you may look at it (link).

The following applies to drawing, revealing, looking at, trashing, setting aside or discarding cards from your deck:
If there are not enough cards in your deck, move the cards you can, then shuffle the cards in your discard pile and form a new deck, then move the rest. If there still aren't enough cards, move the cards you can.

In the one-card version, you're shuffling once for each instance of drawing, so you'd get 9 new silvers. You don't check whether more cards have been added to your discard pile after you shuffled.

Given the lack of clarity in shuffling zero cards, I'd be tempted to make it "after you shuffle two or more cards during the game, you may gain a silver".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:46:53 pm by Kingreaper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2017, 01:53:33 pm »

14. Moving cards from your deck

When you draw cards from your deck, each card is added to your hand as you draw it, and you may look at it (link).

The following applies to drawing, revealing, looking at, trashing, setting aside or discarding cards from your deck:
If there are not enough cards in your deck, move the cards you can, then shuffle the cards in your discard pile and form a new deck, then move the rest. If there still aren't enough cards, move the cards you can.

In the one-card version, you're shuffling once for each instance of drawing, so you'd get 9 new silvers. You don't check whether more cards have been added to your discard pile after you shuffled.

Given the lack of clarity in shuffling zero cards, I'd be tempted to make it "after you shuffle two or more cards during the game, you may gain a silver".

Yes, that's how it's supposed to go. I don't think I want to limit it to 2 or more cards, but perhaps the wording can be improved to clarify there have to be cards in the pile. Edit: Not sure what would be a good wording for this. I assumed you shuffle a single card as Inn also gets shuffled in a deck that consists of it alone.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:59:41 pm by Asper »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.